You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RealNewDeal

Arizona Thoughts?

35 comments in this topic

Members
688 posts
833 battles

I just wanna see the general player opinion of the Arizona, from looks to performance. The Arizona is currently leading by a 3% margin in WR, I'd like to see people's thoughts on why, and the pros and cons of the ship. I personally love my Arizona, as the armor and guns just click with me, with massive salvos at 17km very doable.

• Angry 1

[4HIM]
Members
2,119 posts
5,807 battles

Love it.  I do need to play it more.  Good dispersion on the guns for its tier.  Love the looks of it. It is a must have for every player who likes the historical aspect of the ships in the game.  Arizona and Missouri are two must have ships for those who are in to the history of the USN.  It's also definitely a 'gudbote'.

[CJN]
[CJN]
Beta Testers
719 posts
6,647 battles

Arizona is fairly accurate and it has very tight shell groupings 80-85% of the time. Plus it can bounce pretty much everything that it will face except for 15 inches and higher. The cons is that it's slow and vulnerable to air attacks. Definitely a great support BB. 

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,219 posts
11,898 battles

Did you read the existing threads or post in them in the US BB section?

Pretty sure you can get the gist of what other Arizona owners feel about the ship by simply reading and posting in those threads .....

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

I'm at the tier 6 level in play right now and I enjoy the ship.  It's a very durable and forgiving ship with decent precision guns.  IMHO, the MM level can be challenging, and she is very slow (Sierra Mike's are useful).  DD's give me more trouble than CV's for some reason.  Super good ship for a brawl.  I usually run full out to a position where I can do some good at mid to close ranges instead of sniping with her guns. Too many islands on some of these maps...from a BB perspective that is (as a CL main it's usually "Oh, thank God, an island).  I do like my Arizona but I'm struggling with the spotter aircraft for long range work.  I'm going to break out the Murmansk and get in some spotter practice to get better.

Members
688 posts
833 battles
13 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Did you read the existing threads or post in them in the US BB section?

Pretty sure you can get the gist of what other Arizona owners feel about the ship by simply reading and posting in those threads .....

My bad, didn't see those despite looking in the American BB sub.

Beta Testers
629 posts
3,864 battles
26 minutes ago, RealNewDeal said:

I just wanna see the general player opinion of the Arizona, from looks to performance. The Arizona is currently leading by a 3% margin in WR, I'd like to see people's thoughts on why, and the pros and cons of the ship. I personally love my Arizona, as the armor and guns just click with me, with massive salvos at 17km very doable.

Arizona is a very capable T6, and her armor is what makes her shine, alongside her accurate 14 inch rifles. 

Her armor is the best armor in it's tier when angled, and can defeat all 14 inch shells, leaving only Mutsu and Warspite a chance of penning her, her deck is more resistant to HE fires than the New mex, and with a better sigma

ARIZONA GUN STATS

module_Artillery.png 356 mm/45 Mk9
 Guns ‎3 x 356 mm
 Reloading time 35
 Accuracy  
  Sigma 1.80σ
  Horizontal Dispersion 165
  Vertical Spread

Caliber 356
Type of projectile AP
Alpha damage 10 300
Damage 0
Alpha piercing HE 0
Explosion size 0
Burn prob -0.5
Projectile speed 792
Projectile mass 680.4
Projectile krupp 2 604

NEW MEXICO GUNSTATS

module_Artillery.png 356 mm/50 Mk7
 Guns ‎3 x 356 mm
 Reloading time 34.2
 Accuracy  
  Sigma 1.50σ
  Horizontal Dispersion 164
  Vertical Spread

Caliber 356
Type of projectile AP
Alpha damage 10 500
Damage 0
Alpha piercing HE 0
Explosion size 0
Burn prob -0.5
Projectile speed 823
Projectile mass 680.4
Projectile krupp 2 545

This gives the Arizona a little better luck with multiple shells on target leading to good damage, 

The trade off is there is 200 damage difference between the two. but the Arizona also has a better penetration value by a small margin. 

The new mex shells flie a little faster so its an interesting trade off, but all in all i prefer the Arizona over the New max.

[PSP]
Members
8,073 posts

I did rather well with the Arizona last Ranked season. It's pretty good at its tier or lower but has some troubles when up-tiered due to its short firing range, slow speed and slow turret traverse. It is good, however. I currently have a 53% win rate in it with 123 battles played.

Members
2,190 posts
8,354 battles

Arizona took me all the way to rank 1 in Season 7, that has got to count for something.

Alpha Tester
3,482 posts
1,522 battles

Arizona is a great Tier 6 premium.  Only thing that kind of sucks about her is her top speed but that is the same with any USN BB sub Tier 8 so its not a weakness, rather just a characteristic.

[PVE]
Members
13,849 posts
8,900 battles
44 minutes ago, RealNewDeal said:

Arizona was the first BB where I could hit DDs on a regular basis with the main guns.

3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I did rather well with the Arizona last Ranked season. It's pretty good at its tier or lower but has some troubles when up-tiered due to its short firing range, slow speed and slow turret traverse. It is good, however. I currently have a 53% win rate in it with 123 battles played.

Yeah, Arizona is a lot of fun and can do well when bottom tier, but Snarg is right in that you don't want to get into a long range duel as your range is pretty short. Also, in a CV game, stay close to some AA ships if you can, and/or ask for fighter plane help. I recently played a battle where I was spawned off by myself and the green CV was busy trying to spot all the DDs in that game. As soon as the red CV saw me, he dropped everything and dog piled my poor Arizona. 'Zona just wasn't fast enough to catch up to the other ships, since the game put me so far off by myself. You can do well depending on the circumstances as I remember a different game, near the end, where a Ranger had one squadron of DBs left. I managed my DCM so that when he set me on fire, I could put it out, heal and reset before the next attack, which I am sure I was annoying to him. But I couldn't shoot down a single plane for the half dozen attacks or so before the game ended.

Here is one of my best PvP battles in Arizona and I'm a 50ish% nood player. (Yes, I find that funnier than noob, even tho it is not descriptive :Smile_teethhappy:) Sorry @skull_122_steel ;)

Spoiler

WE7lZTH.jpg

zYFwTEF.jpg

I spawned by the Cleveland and rode his coat tails most of the game. I don't remember the Lex sending many planes our way.

NtJnEoX.jpg

T4FoV2r.jpg

Members
688 posts
833 battles

I think the large appeal of the Arizona's guns is their high penetration and 1.8sigma, which allows massive salvos to be dropped on people's heads. Seeing how the Arizona does with 1.8 sigma and 12 guns, I wonder how the Lyon was with 16 guns and 1.8 sigma.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,998 posts
4,848 battles

Honest opinion? It plays very much like the child of a New Mexico and a Warspite, in the sorta way you have VERY ACCURATE guns, but you're very slow. You gotta really think ahead as to where the battle is...if you get to a flank and the battle is over unless the other side fails badly you walk away with low damage. 

Spotter plane is your friend x10

This ship is worth every penny.

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,734 posts
2,758 battles

And if you charge the enemy, good luck retreating. The sluggish maneuverability of the Arizona won't help in that situation.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,099 posts
16,445 battles

As a Tier VI BB, Arizona is absolutely great.  I got her when she first came out and she was among my favorite ships to play.  I loved Tier VI and what better way to add onto that than having a solid BB like AZ in that tier!

Notice I used a lot of past tense.

As a Tier VI BB, nothing has changed with AZ.  Still the same strengths, weaknesses.  What has changed long ago is MM shafting Tier V-VI.  Amagi, North Carolina, Alabama, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Kii... All with big guns and mobility, speed, staying power that give tremendous problems to Tier VI BBs.  AZ cannot hang with being stuffed into Tier VIII matches all the time.  Tier VI BBs in Tier VIII matches are literally nothing more than roadkill, speed bumps for the VIII's to smash.  Few things are sadder than watching a 21kt USN BB trying to run away from a roughly 30kt Scharnhorst or worse, Tirpitz or Bismarck and their 11.3km secondaries.  You are nothing but a chew toy to those higher tier German BBs. 

Lord help you if you got to deal with a Tier VII-VIII CV in a s--t AA BB like Arizona.

Kaga, Enterprise, Shokaku, Hiryu, Saipan, etc.

No bueno.

Even Tier V CV aircraft dance in your AA with little to fear.

I have not touched most of my Tier VI ships outside of Cleveland in a long, long, LONG time since the MM change.  Again, there is nothing wrong with AZ.  The game MM shafts it, as well as other ships of Tier V-VI.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
Members
13,849 posts
8,900 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

As a Tier VI BB, Arizona is absolutely great.  I got her when she first came out and she was among my favorite ships to play.  I loved Tier VI and what better way to add onto that than having a solid BB like AZ in that tier!

As a Tier VI BB, nothing has changed with AZ.  Still the same strengths, weaknesses.  What has changed long ago is MM shafting Tier V-VI.  Amagi, North Carolina, Alabama, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Kii... All with big guns and mobility, speed, staying power that give tremendous problems to Tier VI BBs.  AZ cannot hang with being stuffed into Tier VIII matches all the time.  Tier VI BBs in Tier VIII matches are literally nothing more than roadkill, speed bumps for the VIII's to smash.  Few things are sadder than watching a 21kt USN BB trying to run away from a roughly 30kt Scharnhorst or worse, Tirpitz or Bismarck and their 11.3km secondaries.  You are nothing but a chew toy to those higher tier German BBs. 

Lord help you if you got to deal with a Tier VII-VIII CV in a s--t AA BB like Arizona.

No bueno.

I have not touched most of my Tier VI ships outside of Cleveland in a long, long, LONG time since the MM change.  Again, there is nothing wrong with AZ.  The game MM shafts it, as well as other ships of Tier V-VI.

You can still do well as bottom tier in Az, you just can't try to win the battle yourself. I'm not the best PvP player, 50ish% WR and overextend to much, but the battle below went well as I supported the Cleveland and BB in front of me and didn't try to go one on one with higher tier ships. I still put in damage on them tho, but in a group with others. Az is not a ship to carry with when bottom tier, but you can still influence the battle.

1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

Here is one of my best PvP battles in Arizona and I'm a 50ish% nood player. (Yes, I find that funnier than noob, even tho it is not descriptive :Smile_teethhappy:) Sorry @skull_122_steel ;)

Reveal hidden contents

WE7lZTH.jpg

zYFwTEF.jpg

I spawned by the Cleveland and rode his coat tails most of the game. I don't remember the Lex sending many planes our way.

NtJnEoX.jpg

T4FoV2r.jpg

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Arizona was the first BB where I could hit DDs on a regular basis with the main guns.

Yeah, Arizona is a lot of fun and can do well when bottom tier, but Snarg is right in that you don't want to get into a long range duel as your range is pretty short. Also, in a CV game, stay close to some AA ships if you can, and/or ask for fighter plane help. I recently played a battle where I was spawned off by myself and the green CV was busy trying to spot all the DDs in that game. As soon as the red CV saw me, he dropped everything and dog piled my poor Arizona. 'Zona just wasn't fast enough to catch up to the other ships, since the game put me so far off by myself. You can do well depending on the circumstances as I remember a different game, near the end, where a Ranger had one squadron of DBs left. I managed my DCM so that when he set me on fire, I could put it out, heal and reset before the next attack, which I am sure I was annoying to him. But I couldn't shoot down a single plane for the half dozen attacks or so before the game ended.

Hide contents

WE7lZTH.jpg

zYFwTEF.jpg

NtJnEoX.jpg

T4FoV2r.jpg

nice battle but I can do  better cam down to the wire there and dodged a ram from a Bayern like a boss

Members
688 posts
833 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

No bueno.

Even Tier V CV aircraft dance in your AA with little to fear.

When I get uptiered I play cautiously and exploit my gun power, I've landed huge salvos, including a 17km 25k volley on a Tirpitz with no cits.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

There isn't much to say about the Arizona... except one thing...

Spoiler

o0xohIz.jpg

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
4 hours ago, RealNewDeal said:

Arizona is by far the most competitive BB at tier 6 hands down. Its worth every penny WG charges for it in the online store.

Members
688 posts
833 battles
1 hour ago, Kitsunelegend said:

There isn't much to say about the Arizona... except one thing...

Hide contents

Nice to see the forum fox stop by. The reason why I made this thread is I have found my Arizona to be very enjoyable, despite few differences from the New Mexico it seems to perform very well. Who knew the small tweaks make the ship so good?

[DRACS]
Members
4,278 posts

Arizona is an amazing ship at tier 6. Unfortunately, tier 6 itself has a problem, and that problem is that it's almost always uptiered. So while you'll be a good tier 6 ship in that match, you'll be typically facing off against tier 7 or 8 ships who's guns can overmatch your bow armor.

Another problem with the Arizona and all the other Standard type USN battleships is that they all travel at 21 knots. It used to be not so bad, but given both matchmaking and power creep, pretty much all new ships, even at that tier, seems to sail so fast, they pretty much aquaplane. This means that unless your team support you and stick with you (ROFL, right), you're going to be in situations where the enemy will swarm you and you are completely unable to run. The other problem with the 21 knot speed is that if you push to the wrong flank and discover that the enemy is all on the opposite end of the map, it will take you half the match to get there and contribute. So always push middle if you can.

But yeah, by tier 6 standards, she's amazing. But expect to see everything but tier 6 matches in her. I haven't played her in a while, but in the 80 games I did play in her after she came out ,I came off with 63% win rate (noticeably above my average 51.5). She can absolutely carry when push comes to shove.