Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MrSparkle

Seriously considering respeccing my Iowa captain from BFT/AFT to BoS/FP

13 comments in this topic

Members
433 posts

and maybe even replacing SGM2 with Damage Control 2.

I spend a lot of time on fire with all the HE spam and rarely see CVs. I actually had two games today with CVs and that's like an entire week's allotment. BFT/AFT is doing nothing for me and I'm always burning.

Suggestions? Yay/Nay?

[RKLES]
Members
8,686 posts
10,809 battles

Try running premium Repair Party and Premium Damage Control Consumables which can be changed from Doubloons to credits. I was burning like crazy in Ranked until started doing this and I manage to last a lot longer. Maybe try this to see how you like it / if it helps before doing far more drastic changes.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

Members
433 posts

I don't really consider it drastic. My buffed AA is rarely used but BoS and FP will be used every single game.

But I did forget about premium consumables for credits. I'll try that tonight.

Edited by MrSparkle

[YETI]
Members
119 posts
5,798 battles

Would love to hear back about your experience, as I am thinking the same.    Almost every match I'm constantly burning from RN BB's, cruisers and dd's.   

There should be a buff that prevents a ship from burning again after it's been repaired, even if it's for a few seconds.

• Cool 1

[MHG]
Members
63 posts
14,963 battles

I run the same build on virtually every Battleship because of the raw number of fires suffered in most matches.  Carriers aren't frequent enough to be specced for, IMO.

Edited by CuriousShadow

Members
433 posts
11 hours ago, CuriousShadow said:

Sounds like you have caught up with the current HE heavy meta.

I haven't played this in months and yeah especially with the new British ships the HE spam is ridiculous. The game now feels like a race to do as much damage as you can before burning to death.

I respecced last night and brought fire duration down to 42 seconds (with no signals) and one less fire to worry about. Not sure I want to keep Damage Control 2 in place of SGM2 since I'm so used to the faster rudder but the reduced fire duration so far is helping. I'll give more feedback later after I've had time to really feel the difference.

Edited by MrSparkle

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,599 posts
3,603 battles

I rarely get burned down in any matches, if I do its because I screwed up and was way out of position. The USN BBs have pretty good concealment and it has saved me in those situations

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,060 posts
16,404 battles

HE and Fires have always been a thing and I find it amusing people are alarmed over it now and all the sudden need to dedicate a build against it.  Like learning how to live with your BB when Zao had her amazing Stealth Fire window, or a Stealth Firing Blyskawica, or DDs living off Stealth Fire to burn you.  Nobody remembers trying to survive in a BB when you had 2 Zaos stealth firing you with HE?  The HE environment then was way more dangerous than it is now.

Granted, I have some BBs that are more dedicated to survival builds:  My Conqueror and Yamato are such, even to the point of having DCSM2 instead of SGM2.

But I also have my Secondary Spec FDG, GK and Stealth / AA Hybrid of NC, Alabama, Missouri, Montana.  Proper map positioning, angling, proper consumable usage goes a LONG WAY without having to take up FP, DCSM2, BOS, etc.  If I ever get burned down, it's because it's the result of me putting myself in stupid focus fire position and it's never as a result of something like 1 person slinging HE at me.

But it doesn't matter.  As long as one lives with the consequences of the build that achieves your intended aim, then it's all good.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
433 posts

I don't use the same build for all my BBs, true. My Bismarck will be the typical secondaries build, but my Iowa is always on fire. Same with my Arizona and Alabama. People just love spamming HE at them and I had to respec my captain accordingly. I even replaced SGM2 with DCSM2 (jury's still out on whether I want to keep that module though).

My Iowa still has concealment but is no longer AA specced. That spec never got much use anyway. I'm on fire every single match but rarely am I against a CV. My Arizona is my favorite BB to play and it's also always on fire, but since I use the same captain in Iowa, Arizona and Alabama that respec is proving very useful.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,060 posts
16,404 battles
13 hours ago, MrSparkle said:

I don't use the same build for all my BBs, true. My Bismarck will be the typical secondaries build, but my Iowa is always on fire. Same with my Arizona and Alabama. People just love spamming HE at them and I had to respec my captain accordingly. I even replaced SGM2 with DCSM2 (jury's still out on whether I want to keep that module though).

My Iowa still has concealment but is no longer AA specced. That spec never got much use anyway. I'm on fire every single match but rarely am I against a CV. My Arizona is my favorite BB to play and it's also always on fire, but since I use the same captain in Iowa, Arizona and Alabama that respec is proving very useful.

And that's fine.  I just better not see a, "CVs are overpowered!" thread from you, esp. if you had a ship with great AA reputation hehe

It's just many people in this game cannot accept the fact that any build leaves a gaping weakness somewhere.  When that weakness is exploited, well, we have these message boards for them!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
842 posts

Playing in North America, the lack of CV players makes BFT on a BB significantly less value than the equivalent BoS, especially since BoS provides extra protection against eating flooding damage. The minor bump in secondary/AA damage simply isn't used anywhere near as much as being able to DC faster.

The build still does very much depend on the national flavor, but, if there's a general statement that can be made, pretty much all BBs can do well with:

1. DCCA or PT
  2. EM or AR
  3. SI
  4. AFT

You then generally go for one of the following:  full secondary build, tank build (aka full fire-proofing), or a hybrid. AA specing a BB is pretty much worthless, with the exception that replacing the Secondary module with the AA module is a valid choice for BBs which aren't normally brawlers. 

Otherwise, what @HazeGrayUnderway said about positioning is a big way to reduce your fire problems. Particularly paying attention to WHERE those flamethrower ships are located, and NOT sitting in their fields of fire for long.

Sign in to follow this