You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jupidor

I cant shoot for crap, whats the secret?

46 comments in this topic

Members
55 posts
1,186 battles

I can not shoot for crap, I would say I am a passable CV pilot, and I would also say I am a liar. 

So I can not shoot for crap, please tell it gets better. Or if there is a secret to it. Also just played another battle in my cv lets be honest I am terrible.

Post edit: would be nice if WG allowed us to choose to have our names show us as bots, so that when i do terrible at least they wont realize it is just a failure playing.

Edited by Jupidor
  • Funny 1

[Y0L0]
Members
9,934 posts
14,414 battles

stay at low tier and learn to aim.   st louis or bogatyr are both good trainer for this.  learn to estimate speed using smoke from funnel and knowing the ship stat, (max speed) so you can adjust the lead based on range.   look at the minimap to adjust for angle and predict the movement of target.  with practice, this becomes automatic, but it takes lot of practice. 

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,850 posts
16,505 battles

Lower tier battleships have horrible dispersion

Tier 5 and up it starts to get better. 

Best way to practice aiming?

PVE, using Cleveland, Omaha and Farragut shooting max range. When you can hit with those guns, you can use anything.

Members
79 posts
5,929 battles

You can either: play PvE (whole reason why it exists), find a friend that plays the game well (pssst join my clan), or download the .exe file for training rooms (which you can just wait for the 7.0 patch to get official). 

In a nutshell it takes practice. It took me about 2000 games to have accuracy worth its while. Yes I started off as a terribad player but I've made some leaps and bound by doing a combination of all three things. Lucky for you, the update will have an official version of training rooms so you need not to worry about spending costs of a co-op/random/ranked/scenario. 

On a technical perspective there are a number of videos like the one linked above that help explain how this game operates. For a long time and it has served me well I used type 9 static crosshair. I believe that crosshair is scaled to about 20kn just like the default stock reticle. The radiating lines in types 7-9 are helpful for targets that are not perfectly broadside to you. 

However I'm starting play more high tier stuff so most things move closer to 30 knots and I found that the dynamic crosshair scales to about that for an average sized cruiser (New Orleans for example). Aiming at DDs is a special case where you pretty much feel it out... Of course, you still use you reticle and "alt" information to help you acquire a firing solution but the lack of predictability makes DDs a little more of a feel thing. Adjust accordingly. For not perfect broadsides I visually memorized the radiating lines found in types 7-9 and literally guesstimate my way to victory.

Also remember to breathe and it's just a video game. You probably need to still pay your internet and electric bill to play this game, so remember there are greater things in life lol. (I'm half-joking but it's true)

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

Aside from digesting videos like the one @Shadowrigger1 linked, the usual advice would be to grab a ship with a high fire rate & just practice, practice, practice, but...

Looking at your stats in individual ships, your hit ratio is still quite low even on ships you have a respectable number of battles in (not counting battleships because the longer engagement ranges + built-in game mechanics will always lead to lower MBH numbers on them).  Based on that, I would highly recommend you spend some time in Co-op (PvE) where you can focus more intently on aiming your shots without having to worry so much about unpredictable human opponents.  Remember that even the fastest-firing destroyers take 3 seconds to reload their guns...it's well worth using an extra second or two (or 10 in the case of battleships) to ensure your shot hits the target.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
8,155 battles

You don' t know how to lead the target? or you don't know where to shoot on any particular ship?

If you are not sure how to lead the target you can watch some aiming here and get an idea:

Basically, you want to draw a line from the center line of the ship in the direction of the target's movement. Raise the aiming reticle if the ship's traveling away, and lower it if it is turning closer. The distance is what the target's horizontal lead should be but transformed as if it is a point on a oval. It's difficult to describe in words, but after you read this, watch the recording, you'll understand.

Different ship's turn rate and acceleration will fine tune your aim, that's just a matter of experience after you know the general technique. 

Edited by NeutralState

[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

Ultimately a lot of it's just practice.  It helps to check out some of the tutorials that the folks here have shared, but it takes a while to get the hang of things.  Something that can help a lot is to pick a ship like that has higher velocity guns like German or Soviet cruisers and also it helps to play the same ship for a while instead of jumping around.  There are a lot of different guns in the game and they don't all have the same characteristics so it can be a challenge to get the hang of how much lead you need to use if you're swapping between weapons every other match.

Members
245 posts
6,367 battles

Ya it's ok if your not the best shot just have fun and stay at mid and low tiers while you learn. I use to think I was a really poor shot until one day WGing band a bunch of people for using a "shader add on" then suddenly all the experts that could nail me over and over from across the board seemed to forget how they did it. Now it seems like I'm about average. :p

Members
2,229 posts
11,345 battles
1 hour ago, Jupidor said:

I can not shoot for crap, I would say I am a passable CV pilot, and I would also say I am a liar. 

So I can not shoot for crap, please tell it gets better. Or if there is a secret to it. Also just played another battle in my cv lets be honest I am terrible.

Post edit: would be nice if WG allowed us to choose to have our names show us as bots, so that when i do terrible at least they wont realize it is just a failure playing.

Step #1. Admit it's you and not some external force we can use to shirk personal accountability.  By doing so, you are already ahead of a major population of the player base and deserve respect.

Step #2. Congratulations, now that we're here, there are a number of things to check.  Is your ping or computer lagging and unable to provide you an ability to hit targets reliably if you fired where you were supposed to every time?  If not, get that fixed.  Some people like to use this as an external excuse but it's not.  Just like you don't show up to the frozen pond to play hockey with your buddies without your stick and skates, you don't play online games until you first bring to the table the necessary infrastructure.

Step #3. Stick to the same ship.  Don't cycle around between DDs, BBs, CAs, and CVs.  Professional pool players don't practice simply by setting up a new rack, breaking, pocketing all the balls and rinsing and repeating.  They run drills where they set up the exact same angle and distance shot over and over and over and over and over and over and over (you kinda need a frontal lobotomy at this point to stick with it) and over and over again until they can make the shot blindfolded.  Playing the same ship repeatedly can increase the potential boredom factor, but it's necessary to get your eyes and hands to acquire the feel for timing on shots.

Step #4. Notice the smoke billowing from the enemy ships.  They help clue you into the direction they are going and the relative speed, learn to adjust your shots accordingly.

Step #5. Watch lots of videos from any of the big name players.  Join a solid clan of experienced players, not a relaxed bunch of folks who have little desire to improve.  They might be great folks personally, but not a great source for advice that can help you make the greatest gains as you progress through the learning curve.

Step #6. Learn when to shoot and what shell types to use under all circumstances.  Sometimes it's better to hold your shot if you can expect the enemy ship to turn and show their broadside in the near future.  Sometimes when in a BB, you need to switch to HE, for example if you're kiting (tactically retreating) an enemy BB or being kited by one.  There are also a ton of other subtleties you will learn over time.  For example if you see a wall of torps heading toward your enemy BB target, he's going to slow down and/or turn sharply, so you will need to factor that forecast into your calculation as to where to fire based on where he will most likely end up.  Same with how players turn and slow down when using islands for cover.  Another factor is where on the ship to hit.  Be it at the water line, even slightly below the water line, above the belt, bow or stern or under a specific turret.  Again, casual clans are not as likely to have experts who can educate you on these things.

Step #7.  Properly manage expectations.  It can take several thousand games to go through most of the learning curve.  Everyone learns at a different pace.  All that matters is that you're learning from mistakes and making an effort not to repeat them.  Also factor in (which is often hard to do from an objective standpoint) your adaptability, multi-tasking capability, situational awareness, forecasting, analytical skills etc. from an intellectual standpoint.  As well as any physical limitations that might put a cap on ability like impaired vision, slow reflexes, etc.  For example, I'm a visual learner.  I learn far better from watching videos than reading or having someone tell me something.  I'm also someone that often takes longer to figure something out, but I overcome that through brute force of will, so while some things come very naturally for folks, for me, I'll eventually get there but it might take me several thousand more games.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
5,637 posts
12,386 battles

Get practice, get buddies in training room and try to learn to hit accurately in turns and such. 

[RUST]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,220 battles
2 hours ago, Jupidor said:

It's a learned skill, no one intrinsically knows how to shoot well but you can practice and make it better. The trick is to judge whether or not your shot is good based on the center of the shell grouping rather than whether you actually hit because sometimes dispersion helps you and sometimes dispersion hurts you. But if your shell grouping is always dead center, then more often than not you will get the hits you are looking for.  It gets better in the sense that ships are more accurate as you move up in tiers, but that increase in accuracy would actually hurt you more if you don't know where to aim your shell grouping at. 

If you think you are doing that terrible, you should practice more in co-op. Bots are easy to lead and do not take as much evasive action. If you can't hit a bot, then the problem just gets magnified when you play PvP. 

P.S. You should also play IJN/KM/RU cruisers, their HE shells and high velocity guns well help you learn to aim better; UK BB have poor dispersion and UK CL is considered a high skill tech tree. I also wouldn't skip from tier 2 to tier 6 like you did w/ the Cleveland. USN CL/CA line isn't the best to learn how to shoot with either since they have low shell velocity and you'd have to lead a lot more than you would with other lines.  

[WOLF9]
Privateers
10,965 posts
4,388 battles
2 hours ago, Jupidor said:

I can not shoot for crap, I would say I am a passable CV pilot,

So which is it, pew-pew or zoom-zoom that is going awry?

Either way, analyze how you are missing.

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
8,222 battles
1 hour ago, Eric_Von_Hess said:

When shooting you must keep your eyes opened 

Simple explanation but so true. Aiming and shooting can be lost easily.

[ADAPT]
Members
938 posts
16,048 battles

Helo yamato crap dispersion, i dont know what even change in update or not, once it my favorite ship, now it just sitting to rust, cant hit more than 20 hit in game and sometimes less 50 k damage in it. I shameless retire yamato cause maybe i suck crap  and play minotour , sure hit with > 100+ hit. Hahah.

[TBW]
Members
8,283 posts
15,085 battles
6 hours ago, Jupidor said:

Use dynamic reticle and when zoomed in look at the number on the left side of the reticle, that is seconds to target. The dynamic hash numbers are set for 30 knots. so if a ship is traveling 30 knots perpendicular to you and the time to target is 5 seconds your shells should hit at around the 5 second hash marks. You have to make the adjustments your self if the ship is traveling faster or slower than 30 knots. If you use the static reticle it is set for 20 knots. As you zoom out the numbers change and that is why I use the Dynamic one, the numbers stay the same as you zoom out.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[WTFB]
Members
221 posts

Not to hijack this thread, but it would be nice to see an aiming tutorial with the dynamic crosshairs. Speaking of them, it would be nice to have the elevation markers on dynamic crosshairs as well. Would help establish a point of reference to use to aim when ships aren't presenting a perfect 90 degree Angle of Attack. 

If anything please add elevation marks to dynamic crosshairs. That would be very nice!

As far as aiming tips, I've found this out in my time of playing.(Using Dynamic Crosshairs) Using German BBs, your shell velocity will make the numbers different.

1: Low Tier BBs at 90, Aim roughly 5 Degrees ahead. Watch their smoke to ensure they are going all ahead full. Once you fire, watch where your shells land in regards to the degree. So if you aimed at 5, and most of your shells shot blocked at 7, use 7 instead of 5.

2: Cruisers of any tier and higher tier BBs, aim between 7 and 8 degrees.

3: DDs of any tier aim 10 degrees.

This has worked for me. When they are not presenting a 90 degree AoA, it's kind of guess work in regards to that.

Edited by Slyguy3129

[INTEL]
Members
11,058 posts
31,035 battles

1. Practice against bots. I am not a natural shooter either. Watching how bots shoot and shooting at them helped a lot.

2. Ripple fire your turrets in slightly different places. This will ensure at least some hits. Note that the bots shoot like that and always get hits at higher tiers.

3. Take your boat into the training room and practice against bots that are ACTIVE but not armed.

4. Also in the training room, practice shooting at stopped ships to see what parts of the ship result in the best damage.

5. Everything everyone said above.

[CAST]
Members
4,758 posts

The basics?

If you're using the non dynamic reticle, the 1 for 1 marker assumes firing on a broadside straight sailing medium sized battleship traveling at 20 knots. So if your shells take 10 seconds to fly there, target their bow around the 10 second mark. Once you have that, adjust accordingly based on target ship size and speed. So generally, I double the number when firing at broadside cruisers traveling at full speed, and triple to quadruple that number when firing at broadsiding destroyers traveling at full speed.

After that, time and experience is what helps in deciding where to aim based on target angle, presumed target speed, and target size. But as long as you know the basics, you're starting off well. I watched the iChase video that explained that a couple of years back and my hit % went up dramatically, although I still only consider myself average at aiming overall. But if you look at unicum videos where they always connect and rack up huge damage numbers, rest assured that what you're seeing is many thousands upon thousands of matches of experience, not some special fairy dust talent.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

Members
112 posts
25,075 battles
12 hours ago, Jupidor said:

OK, so you are new to the game and probably near Tier 5 about now. Dispersal of battleship shots can be frustrating, but it gets better. To better understand the mechanics involved would need a course in physics and computer math. 

To break it down, at tier 5, BBs shoot a tad off, but you usually have more turrets. Take advantage of the more turrets by using sequential fire on a target that is moving rapidly, use full broadside on a target sailing wide. In sequential fire, walk the shots in. Use the alternate battle interface to judge time of shells to target. After a few times, you get a good idea of how much lead you need at certain ranges. BBs of each tier also have different velocities(shell speed) on their shells, if you did well in one, you may not do well in another if the speed is a big difference. 

Cruisers at tier 5 tend to shoot fairly accurate, but if they don't, then sequential fire for saturation fire. The bad shooters are high shells arcs, but this can be mastered with practice. Torpedoes are most effective as a surprise, passing a ship and at 3/4 of the stated range. Why the 3/4s range? Well if a ship has any means to detect them in the water, then you want to cut down the reaction time. Some ships targets are predictable near islands and one must always take advantage of cover not just as a means to hide, but also to ambush. 

DD players use similar tactics as with cruisers, but must be more careful about it. You will find some players can support you in smoke as you stealth fire if you politely ask for a spotter plane. 

It never hurts to ask for help. 

CV players struggle with game play because it can be hard to find your role in the battle. To fix that, you simply must pick what kind of CV captain are you?

Strike captains use a lot of bombers and attack isolated targets. Open water is best but careful placement in islands can be done with practice. Cross torp drop is handy on Cruisers and DDs. BBs can be dealt with this tactic, but stacking your planes by multi-clicking them to a point before  a drop will maximize the attack. Dive bombers is more of predicting a turn as ships seldom sail straight. The trick is to get them to turn, then drop as the turn straightens out. You can get a BB to run aground by nudging them with a torp squad then hit hard with the dive bombers. 

Air superiority is about defending the fleet from bomber attack, spotting dds and other ships, and general fleet support. It is by no means the most glorious job, but if you shoot down a lot of planes, you usually win. 

There are other more refined tactics with play of each ship, but I refer you to watch the you tube videos of many players with various ships. They often show what to do and what not to do. They extol advice and even show their own mistakes as a means to share their experiences. But it is invaluable information as it will get you a feel for each ship you earn. And hopefully, with their sage advice, your play experience is more pleasurable. 

Having fun is what any player wants at the end of the day. Some do it in random and some in co-op. Since you are learning, I advise co-op. Once you feel you are ready, I urge you to find a regular player you have fun with and div -up on some games in random. Be aware, random will have every player experience spectrum out there and you may or may not find it to your liking. Just remember, it is just a game. Play the game you like to play no matter what it is. And if you do not like it, just try another game format.  WG gives you many options, explore all of them. 

Good luck captain.

[5BS]
Members
8,005 posts
13 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

PVE, using Cleveland, Omaha and Farragut shooting max range. When you can hit with those guns, you can use anything.

This, or the training room with mobile (but unarmed) bots. Basically I practice with troublesome new guns like this:

Training room, Ocean, 3 enemy Khabs, 3 friendly Shimas, all unarmed but active (so they move around, but don't shoot), and while my Shimas mill around, keeping the Khab's spotted, I try to stay at max range keeping consistent shots.

• Cool 1

[NGAGE]
Members
3,795 posts
8,832 battles

Operations are good practice. Most of them involve continuous shooting - I have gotten much better at shooting in ships which are more difficult to aim with (such as the Atlanta) this way.

• Cool 1