You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Erebthoron

New map "Sleeping Giant"

29 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,757 posts
20,812 battles

From the Dev Blog

A new map for tier IX-X battles is added to the game - "Sleeping Giant". It comprises big isles, straits and open flanks. The action takes place in China. Soft color palette makes the surroundings quite memorable

89Qsa5w.jpg

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,060 posts
14,657 battles

They should delete the two caps to the east and just keep one cap and call it the Thunderdome.

• Funny 2

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

If that's what the map looks like, and if that is where the caps will be... I foresee no one EVER going to the A flag in the first 15 minutes of each game. There's no way to even get to it without being deleted.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

[NLIST]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,933 posts
10,568 battles

I wish more tier 10 maps were enclosed like this. Most of the high tier maps are far too open

• Cool 1

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

I like lots of sea room. When I want to feel closed in I drive a tank.

• Cool 2

Members
180 posts
11,617 battles
17 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

They should delete the two caps to the east and just keep one cap and call it the Thunderdome.

Then you have Epicenter with more island cover.

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,793 posts
4,866 battles
32 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

If that's what the map looks like, and if that is where the caps will be... I foresee no one EVER going to the A flag in the first 15 minutes of each game. There's no way to even get to it without being deleted.

And once you get in there, there's no way back out.

[5BS]
Members
6,421 posts
25 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

map.jpg

Pretty much this: why can't they make more maps like Two Brothers where sniping from spawn is nigh impossible?

[PVE]
Members
7,905 posts
13,843 battles
1 hour ago, Sweetsie said:

Or Epicenter:Smile_glasses:

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,400 battles

it's going to be Sleep Fest. No DD in the right mind would go near any of the 3 points. Radar cruisers are basically unspottable with that kind of vision blocking.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
199 posts
6,461 battles

Looks interesting.. but again seems like another high tier map design by WG that anyone with a clue knows to go to the 2 better caps.  IE  East side on this map. 

Edited by Simers72

[WOLF4]
Beta Testers
434 posts
1 minute ago, Simers72 said:

Looks interesting.. but again seems like another high tier map design by WG that anyone with a clue knows to go to the 2 better caps.  IE  East side on this map. 

If only that were so. Same situation on current maps and people can’t help themselves but to go to the disadvantaged cap.  Every dang time...

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
199 posts
6,461 battles

What would be cool and probably more interesting - is if they had multiple cap designs per map...  so for instance in the map above they could have an alertnative cap design of A - Northwest, B- Middle, and C - Southwest with teams spawnining diagonally.  

While some maps surely would need tweaks - they could get a lot more out of their maps if they built them with alternate cap designs.. this in my opinion would keep each map more interesting and provide a lot more game depth & strategy.  

They did this in a way with Clan/Ranked battles using Mountain Range - and other maps... but why not bring this to Randoms as well?  

Edited by Simers72

[ECOM]
Members
955 posts
12,919 battles

Des Moines will all rush to the little 4 islands cap and park behind the island and press the I win button over and over. 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I won't judge this map until the spawn locations are revealed and have played it a few times. I don't see BB's supporting any action within the cap circles. I see a lot of Radar Ships in this and a plethora of Minotaurs. Strongest DD wins the caps. but won't be able to hold them for long. I look forward to all the Posts saying Epicenter/Tears has lost its worst map standing.

[INTEL]
Members
9,755 posts
27,662 battles
18 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

From the Dev Blog

A new map for tier IX-X battles is added to the game - "Sleeping Giant". It comprises big isles, straits and open flanks. The action takes place in China. Soft color palette makes the surroundings quite memorable

89Qsa5w.jpg

My god what a horrible map. A choked, channeled disaster with islands too big to fire over and no room for flowing, creative play.

Once again, ships have the choice of either plunging to a set of choked caps and dying or remaining at range and sniping. This is fundamentally like Loop and Sea of Fortune, and Shatter to a lesser extent. The islands will be camped by radar cruisers which will annihilate DDs trying to cap. 

Formulaic garbage map-making. Infinite possibility, but we get a map with zero meaningful difference from previous maps. 

Sucks.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
16,695 battles
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, Dr_Venture said:

map.jpg

this is how almost every game has gone now I go A

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
16,695 battles
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, Taichunger said:

My god what a horrible map. A choked, channeled disaster with islands too big to fire over and no room for flowing, creative play.

Once again, ships have the choice of either plunging to a set of choked caps and dying or remaining at range and sniping. This is fundamentally like Loop and Sea of Fortune, and Shatter to a lesser extent. The islands will be camped by radar cruisers which will annihilate DDs trying to cap. 

Formulaic garbage map-making. Infinite possibility, but we get a map with zero meaningful difference from previous maps. 

Sucks.

with the right ship bet you can stealth fire into and around B from inside A for fun farming and no HP loss

[INTEL]
Members
9,755 posts
27,662 battles
16 hours ago, GuntherPrein said:

with the right ship bet you can stealth fire into and around B from inside A for fun farming and no HP loss

Yep. But you have to get in A  first :) 

Map is garbage, though. Here at T9-10 have wonderful ships with range, speed, and firepower. And yet we get garbage maps that do not permit the use of these attributes.

• Cool 1