You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Pigeon_of_War

Pigeon's Weekly Thought Jan 16th, 2018

59 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Developers
1,125 posts
4,247 battles

Hello Captains!

With the recent forum reorganization, I wanted more directed thoughts and feedback since in the Pigeon's Nest it was getting a bit crowded. You can still send random and constructive ideas to the  Feedback and Thoughts Section, which I still read everyday. That said, every week, likely every Tuesday, I will said a new thread to gather collective ideas from the community based on a thought I read or just randomly had for input. 

So here's this week's thought: Currently you can recruit a zero skill Captain for free, a 1 Skill Captain for a nice chunk of credits, or a 3 skill Captain for doubloons. What would be your thoughts on if there was a rapid step up option to get a 10-skill captain for a lot of doubloons? Would you find this fair? Would you take advantage?  Would you like the option? Perhaps you don't like it at all?

Let me see what you have to say and then I'll throw another one at you next week! 

• Cool 1

[NERO]
Members
3,629 posts

I was actually thinking about this just last night. 

Yes absolutely I'd use this feature.

Further, I'd also be willing to pay cash to be able to clone a 19 point captain I've already raised. 

For example: If you raise a 19 point captain for IJN, and pay a sizable fee, you could duplicate him into another 19 point IJN captain, but only if you already raised one to 19 the normal way for that nation. 

I don't like retraining and swapping captains, so I'd rather pay to clone a 19 over to other ships of the same nationality. 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,318 posts

Ran into you the other day....    Duoooohhhh!!

This could be handled by purchasing Captain Elite XP, by converting it from ship XP.

Ten pointer being 183K XP.

Perhaps just selling the EXP instead of a captain.  That gives the flexibility to put this where it's needed -- or bank it.

Jan_10_18_Fiji_Pigeon_D.jpg

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,923 posts
15,720 battles

I think it's necessary to make 10-point commanders more easily acquirable for new players, because they're getting stomped by 19-pointers regularly in the mid-tiers now, and it's REALLY bad for certain ship types, like destroyers without CE. While it would definitely mean letting those new players buy themselves up the power curve, the truth of the matter is they're only buying themselves into an entry level of competitiveness with the rest of the player base.

As a side note, I like the uniqueness of commanders as rewards for doing other types of content like missions and campaigns. Long-time players like myself are sitting on multiple millions of Elite Commander XP, and can print 19-pointers any time we need them, so it's not so much about the captains for me, as the idea that a 10-pointer can be a cool reward. So please don't take those away.

I guess my final vote is, let them do it. If it's a big concern, maybe only let people do it for ships of ## tier or higher, or after a certain Service Record Level.

Edited by Edgecase
  • Cool 1

[WGA]
Developers
1,125 posts
4,247 battles
1 minute ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Further, I'd also be willing to pay cash to be able to clone a 19 point captain I've already raised. 

For example: If you raise a 19 point captain for IJN, and pay a sizable fee, you could duplicate him into another 19 point IJN captain, but only if you already raised one to 19 the normal way for that nation. 

I'm not against that idea, but you do understand that I would suggest that such a feature would be extremely expensive, just because of the time and skill needed to make a 19-point captain. 

Likely it would be prohibitively expensive for many players, but still not 100% against it. 

[MEIST]
Members
1,200 posts
4,668 battles

I would use the rapid setup for a 10 point captain. Though, what is a sizeable amount of doubloons?

[WGA]
Developers
1,125 posts
4,247 battles
Just now, jager_geist said:

I would use the rapid setup for a 10 point captain. Though, what is a sizeable amount of doubloons?

I mean, it will be a lot more than 300, if that helps. Can't discuss economics since anything I say would be quote-mined as biblical truth, even though it's not. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,923 posts
15,720 battles
2 minutes ago, jager_geist said:

Figure that a 10-point captain currently takes 183,000 Commander XP to train.

If you were to convert that using doubloons at 25 XP:1 doubloon, it's 7320 doubloons (about $35).

The current 3-pointer for 300 doubloons is in the correct neighborhood price-wise (8000 XP should be 320 doubloons at 25:1).

Edited by Edgecase

[AR15]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,773 battles

Personally I think a better option would be to fix conversion of elite ship XP to elite captain XP at a higher rate than Free XP... Say 1:45. Considering the sheer amount of time it takes to manually level captains and how inflated the elite captain XP costs for doing things like retraining, you'd still get paid at that rate ($100 = 25000 Dubs = 1.125m ECXP = 1 16pt captain), and people could just convert what they want rather than it being a "Pay 3000 Doubloons, get 10pt captain" flat fee. 

I think it would be more enticing and useful that way, plus it would encourage players to use some of those massive pools of elite experience they build up. 

Or do both. One option for new players so they don't get clubbed hard all the time, and the other for people who have been around a while and have money to burn. 

Edited by Show_Me_Your_Cits

[MEIST]
Members
1,200 posts
4,668 battles
8 minutes ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

I mean, it will be a lot more than 300, if that helps. Can't discuss economics since anything I say would be quote-mined as biblical truth, even though it's not. 

8 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Figure that a 10-point captain currently takes 183,000 Commander XP to train.

If you were to convert that using doubloons at 25 XP:1 doubloon, it's 7320 doubloons (about $35).

The current 3-pointer for 300 doubloons is in the correct neighborhood price-wise (8000 XP should be 320 doubloons at 25:1).

Ok, understood Pigeon_of_War.

Edgecase, Thank you for that. I think that would be reasonable to me for a quick 10 point Captain.

Edited by jager_geist

[TAZ]
Members
513 posts

an option to change the captain image even though he has level skill points on him, would be nice. Just as you can with 0 skill point captains.  I have multiple 10 point captains with the same image across the nations. Just interested in changing the captain's image without the current loss of skill points for changing the image.

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
39 posts
17,199 battles

Also a return capt to last boat option like crews in tanks . So you don’t always have to look around for a particular capt.

• Cool 1

[NERO]
Members
3,629 posts
15 minutes ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

I'm not against that idea, but you do understand that I would suggest that such a feature would be extremely expensive, just because of the time and skill needed to make a 19-point captain. 

Likely it would be prohibitively expensive for many players, but still not 100% against it. 

Oh, totally, but as they say time is money. There are those of us that have more free cash than free time, so raising multiple 19s in the same nation is not going to happen just due to time constraints. For us, choosing between paying doubloons to move that captain around all the time or a one time big price tag to just duplicate him would be really nice. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,202 posts
8,877 battles
32 minutes ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

Currently you can recruit a zero skill Captain for free, a 1 Skill Captain for a nice chunk of credits, or a 3 skill Captain for doubloons. What would be your thoughts on if there was a rapid step up option to get a 10-skill captain for a lot of doubloons? Would you find this fair? Would you take advantage?  Would you like the option? Perhaps you don't like it at all?

Yes I would like to see something like this (10 pt Captain) for doubloons and/or credits.

P.S. The reason I am suggesting also credits (and it should be a high amount) for us players who do not have a lot of free cash it would at least give us a chance. 

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,193 posts
9,171 battles

Of course it would not be fair, for those who cannot afford doublons, it hinders rather than helps fairplay. I have another proposal, give all captains a base value of 10 pts, which will ensure essential captain skills buffs (concealment for dds, Air Sup for cvs for example) are available to all, new and old players, premium and f2p. Level the playing field, reduce the effect of pay2sealclub and promote player ability instead.

(or make those essential skills available for 1 or 2 pts, and a 3 pt captain, rather than require a 10 pt captain)

• Cool 1

Members
1,788 posts
15,254 battles

I think it would be a great option, but should be appropriately priced.  

Edited by Panzer1113

[USAGI]
Members
146 posts
2,599 battles

What about the novel thought of laying off on the gimmicks for a bit, and improving core game functionality? It's obvious to anyone who spends even a short stint browsing the support side of the forums that there are massive issues with core functionality, for both Macs and PCs. All the fancy promos and gimmicks and events don't mean jack if the game doesn't run...

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

Members
312 posts
8,949 battles

I guess I kind of figure that this the way to go with retraining, with either using Gold or Ship XP, mainly when we get a new ship we take a higher point captain from another lower ship ( Example Tier 3 ) retrain to a tier 7 or 8, I am willing to pay gold to retrain this new captain at current money and would pay 500 to 1000 gold to have a 15 to 19 point captain on this ship, this will not fit everybody's budget I get it. But we are right now paying I think 200 gold to retrain captains, it has been a while since I have done it.

Don't think we can do it with XP conversion, just to go from tier 3 from a 6 point captain to 10 point captain is 144K in xp, still you can convert gold to do this. So it is a catch 22, do we throw out there a high gold price for a 19 point captain, sure but I would make it something within reason gold wise.

Thanks,

Sere_Pj

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,802 posts
16,845 battles

I vote yes to providing the ability to purchase 10 pt captains. I personaaly dont plan to take advantage of it (dont need to). But...

New players currently don't have access to captains until a certain service level (8?). They also don't run into 19 point captains right out of the gate. What they don't get is any ECXP accrued at the service level that they can start training captains. Why not spice the pot a bit and give a player who attains the captain training service level the equivalent ECXP of a 10pt captain to allocate where they wish. They benefit from a one time gift for perseverance and contribution to the community while leveling up. They also see the value in having said skilled captain immediately and would be enticed to purchase one.

I must ask, though, are we devaluing our 19 point captains by selling away 10 pt captains? 

Edited by Khafni
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,318 posts

One source of free 10 point captains is the Scenarios.

When I started a second account, that was my first target to get one of each.

Sad to say we prohibited tier 5s from Scenarios.  This places them further from 'new person' reach.

I'm thinking perhaps another lower tier Campaign to get a 10 point captain.  Say, start it at tier 2 to tier 4 might work out. 

Maybe even make it an 'Instructional' Campaign requiring Co-op work in all 4 types of ships at the end.  Kind of - get all the lines started.

Along the way are things a new player needs:  Ship slots, upgrades, etc.

• Cool 1

Members
5,202 posts
9,475 battles

More options are rarely a bad thing. Although most of the people who would benefit are players newer to the game and without thousands or millions of elite captain XP. Still a good idea IMO. 

Members
776 posts
3,786 battles

I would probably go for 10 pt commanders on occasion.  Although what I'd like to do is be able to get rid of the many 3 to 6 pointers that I have in reserve. They are worth too much to dismiss but I already have higher point captains, thus the lower pointers stack up in reserve.

How about trading in commanders for elite commander XP's?   Or in some way combine two captains for one higher point captain?

Edited by surratus

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
57 posts
4,376 battles

It is challenging to play some ships without 10pt captains. For example, destroyers and cruisers almost universally rely on Concealment Expert, as it's a significant buff to their ability to go dark when targeted, or to position themselves properly. I would say maybe a 6pt option would be best, for maybe 750 doubloons. This allows a significantly shorter time to 10 points, but isn't so expensive to the point of prohibitive.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,193 posts
9,171 battles
27 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

More options are rarely a bad thing. Although most of the people who would benefit are players newer to the game and without thousands or millions of elite captain XP. Still a good idea IMO. 

Players who are new to the game are lost in confusion as to what they need and don't need to succeed, how many are aware of the importance of 10 pt captains? I have had discussions with players who have thousands of battles, and who seems unaware, for example, of the degree of advantage offered by AirSup and a 10 pt captain over a player without.

• Cool 1

Members
5,202 posts
9,475 battles
1 minute ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Players who are new to the game are lost in confusion as to what they need and don't need to succeed, how many are aware of the importance of 10 pt captains? I have had discussions with players who have thousands of battles, and who seems unaware, for example, of the degree of advantage offered by AirSup and a 10 pt captain over a player without.

Lol, you're right. So it's probably most effective for rerolls. :Smile_teethhappy: