You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
rwhite1025

USS Cleveland teir 6

35 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
3,460 battles

Why do u at wargaming insist on changing the  ships characters of the ship when this game first came out you bragged about this game being so real like that wargaming said all the ships stats are taken of the original  ships, LIE. If that is the case then why do you keep nerfing and buffing the ship out of normal specs? Just because some players cry about not being able to last or fight in a battle. Isn;y that the hole idea of this game is to be as real as possible? when you nerf or buff the ships you change the real feel of the ship. I really hate what you all did to the cleveland teir6 you really screwed that ship up you need to put the guns on that ship back to where they were when it came out. It takes a year for the shells to reach someone. Thank you

[HINON]
Privateers
6,265 posts
3,278 battles

Cleveland's being moved up to tier 8 this year. 

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,616 battles

Cleveland's nerfing was due to the fact that she was an overpowered monster in her original state. She was nerfed to keep her from being way too powerful. 

Currently, she's a T8 in T6 clothing, and as River said above, she's headed to T8 later this year.

[ARP]
Beta Testers
631 posts
5,882 battles

^ as above mentioned, she is going to Tier 8. When exactly though we don't know yet. You do understand if this game was to be realistic that the gunnery that the players would have to do would be somewhat complicated? There would be no magic camera up in the air above the ship with an aiming reticle. That and I think the Cleveland is doing fine, get used to her arcs, they have been like that since she was changed following CBT. I can quite easily do well in a Cleveland in any match, play her like a Des Moines. Find an island that has good range on enemies and fire over it until spotted or no more targets to shoot at.

• Cool 1

Members
12 posts
3,221 battles

Not going to lie, the cleveland is my favorite ship and is a complete beast as it currently is.  We'll see how it works after the line split, but if it was any better at T6 it would be ridiculously OP.

Members
8 posts
3,460 battles

tier eight? I think is only going to make it hard to use the cleveland in higher tier battles the armor and guns would have to go back to the first cleveland and be buffed

[HINON]
Privateers
6,265 posts
3,278 battles
2 minutes ago, rwhite1025 said:

tier eight? I think is only going to make it hard to use the cleveland in higher tier battles the armor and guns would have to go back to the first cleveland and be buffed

That's the point. She's being un-nerfed to become a tier 8. 

• Cool 1

[TXGUN]
Members
189 posts
13,126 battles

If Cleveland is left in her present configuration she's gonna get creamed by the tier IX's and X's she will encounter as a Tier VIII.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,306 posts

Don't worry.  You will get your un-nerfed Cleveland...

Once you grind out the lower hulls...  guns...  targeting.... engines...

Let's see... at tier 8?    Probably want to save all that Free XP for the Missouri or Musashi - and let it rust away as a port queen for a while.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,265 posts
3,278 battles
26 minutes ago, rwhite1025 said:

They should give all players that still have the cleveland free upgrades on all to max tier 8 then.

The last few times WG has done a tree change in WoWs, they have let you keep the ship being moved up in the tiers. (See RU DD split.) 

So, it's safe to say that you will keep the Cleveland as it moves up, and gain a tier 8 ship for the price of a tier 6 one. It's a pretty substantial increase of value. 

However, they only give you the stock ship if I'm remembering this right. You have to grind out all the new ship modules yourself, same as any other new tech tree ship. It's nothing different from what they've always done, and fairly generous considering they basically give you a tier 8 ship because of the changes.  

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,468 battles
Just now, RivertheRoyal said:

What about Captains? i have a 16 pt Cleavland captain I want to keep.

[CVA16]
Members
3,705 posts
12,049 battles

Obviously WG has some hoops to jump through to balance ships for the tier they want to put them in. How else can you have a Friant and Katori at the same tier? Neither has any armor to speak of but Friant is twice as fast, has twice the guns (about the same size) and 3x the torps.

Cleveland had to be shoehorned into T6 so there was a progression from 6 to 8 inch guns in the line (soon to be split). Cleveland at T8 will have more of its realistic abilities. It will take a good bit of shoehorning to make the Helena not be OP at T7 however.

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,876 battles

First, they have never maintained that this game was supposed to be realistic.  If it were, you would not be putting out fires or stopping flooding instantly with the press of a button.  Likewise, you would have to head to a port to repair battle damage.  It would not occur over a few seconds at the press of a button.  Damage would come with the loss of crew and the loss of efficiency.  You would have an historic accuracy of around a 3% accuracy with your guns.  You would not be reloading torpedoes in less than two minutes, let alone in under a minute in some cases.  In fact, you would probably not be reloading them at all.  You would have aircraft carriers being able to attack ships from distances where those ships would have no chance to get in gun range, let alone return fire.  It would take hours for a BB to get from a dead stop to full speed, and on and on and on.

This game was never designed to be a simulator.  It is and has always been an arcade style game.  There are even ships in the game that were never actually built and/or never put to sea.  That means they use real ships where they can as a starting point and as models, but where they are placed and their characteristics are and will always be subject to balance and game play considerations.

The Cleveland is a perfect example.  It was never supposed to be a Tier 6.  One of the earliest videos they did was on the US Cruiser line.  In that video it very intentionally described the Cleveland as the Tier 6 US Cruiser "for now."  It has always been understood that its position as the Tier 6 USN cruiser was only temporary and that it would be moved to a higher tier eventually.  That move has been announced, as others have mentioned.  At the USN cruiser line split to make a distinction between heavy (CA) and light (CL) cruisers, the Cleveland is moving to Tier 8.  The move to Tier 8 has been expected since at least Closed Beta when I started playing the game.

Therefore, the balance changes they made to the Cleveland were to make a Tier 8 fit at Tier 6, and they, like its position, have always been known to be temporary.  When it moves to Tier 8, it will be rebalanced.

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,876 battles
1 hour ago, rwhite1025 said:

They should give all players that still have the cleveland free upgrades on all to max tier 8 then.

You haven't earned a Tier 8 Cleveland.  You have earned the Tier 6 Cruiser in the current USN line.  Right now, that is  the Cleveland.  After the switch, it will be the Tier 6 version of the Pensacola.  Thus, what you are entitled to is a Tier 6 Pensacola configured however your Tier 6 Cleveland currently is.  It would have the equivalent modules researched, the same Captain that is in your Cleveland reassigned to the Pensacola, and so forth.

If they handle the change as before, as River described, you will also get, as a bonus, a stock Tier 8 Cleveland if you have it in port (researched if you do not).  It will likely get a Captain with some points already earned (some suggest 8 or 10).  However, since you have not researched anything in that new line yet, you have not earned a fully researched and equipped Tier 8 Cleveland, so you will not get one.

Thus, what you can expect is that you will get a Tier 6 Pensacola configured and outfitted the way your current Cleveland is and a stock Tier 8 Cleveland in the new line with a new Captain.

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,876 battles
1 hour ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

What about Captains? i have a 16 pt Cleavland captain I want to keep.

Whatever captain is in your Cleveland will likely be reassigned to the Pensacola.  You will probably get an 8 or 10 point Captain in the Tier 8 Cleveland you receive. 

Some suggest moving your current Cleveland Captain to reserve just before the split and put a different Captain in the Cleveland.  The idea is that only the one in the ship will be reassigned to the Pensacola and that any in reserve will stay assigned to the Cleveland.  Even if they reassign all Captains currently assigned to the Cleveland to the Pensacola, it wouldn't hurt anything to try that.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,624 posts
17,064 battles
3 hours ago, Doomlock said:

Cleveland's nerfing was due to the fact that she was an overpowered monster in her original state. She was nerfed to keep her from being way too powerful. 

@Doomlock, and I, both remember when Clevelands used to make BB's cry and quit the game; she was that overpowered. The ship you have NOW is still a stone cold killer with a great ROF and good AP and HE; back then if you were on a team facing one she was one of the ships to either be targeted right away or run away from at full speed. I expect at tier 8 she will be the same type of killer, but with her full AA suite and un-nerfed main battery, as competitive as any ship in the game.

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,068 posts
12,668 battles

So would WoW simply flip a switch and make the Cleve the old gal she used to be (before my getting her) or would she be OP at T8 ? I have never really played what I call an OP ship considering MM leveling.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
5 hours ago, Sotaudi said:

You haven't earned a Tier 8 Cleveland.  You have earned the Tier 6 Cruiser in the current USN line.  Right now, that is  the Cleveland.  After the switch, it will be the Tier 6 version of the Pensacola.  Thus, what you are entitled to is a Tier 6 Pensacola configured however your Tier 6 Cleveland currently is.  It would have the equivalent modules researched, the same Captain that is in your Cleveland reassigned to the Pensacola, and so forth.

If they handle the change as before, as River described, you will also get, as a bonus, a stock Tier 8 Cleveland if you have it in port (researched if you do not).  It will likely get a Captain with some points already earned (some suggest 8 or 10).  However, since you have not researched anything in that new line yet, you have not earned a fully researched and equipped Tier 8 Cleveland, so you will not get one.

Thus, what you can expect is that you will get a Tier 6 Pensacola configured and outfitted the way your current Cleveland is and a stock Tier 8 Cleveland in the new line with a new Captain.

Many of us have not only the Cleveland, but also the Pensacola, New Orleans, Baltimore and Des Moines. Having to regrind each of their upgrades (and pay for each of them a second time)  is a legitimate concern. I'm certainly not thrilled about it. 

[RKLES]
Members
9,858 posts
11,690 battles

Operations will get more challenging with Cleveland moved since it's a very popular Operations ship due to rate of fire, AA, mobility, and ability to start fires as well as dish out decent AP damage when needed.

Particularly that one Op where the game throws tier 8 ships into it and your expected to hold a defensive line for a while, forgot the name of that one though at the moment.

Still the times I occasionally play tier 6 CV I will not miss seeing enemy Clevelands at tier 6, lol they can create aircraft loss in short order that is for certain.

[CVA16]
Members
3,705 posts
12,049 battles
34 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

Many of us have not only the Cleveland, but also the Pensacola, New Orleans, Baltimore and Des Moines. Having to regrind each of their upgrades (and pay for each of them a second time)  is a legitimate concern. I'm certainly not thrilled about it. 

I assume if you have the ships fully upgraded, it remains fully upgraded where ever it ends up tier-wise. It might mean you over paid for the Pensacolas upgrades based on its new lower tier. However, you got a deal on the Clevelands upgrades.

Am I making a bad assumption here?