You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jake_Miller_67

My average XP is low, how do I improve it?

13 comments in this topic

[DUDS]
Members
60 posts
6,081 battles

I’m a pretty experienced player and I’ve done my share of damage in a game, but my average XP always looks pathetic next to whomever I’m playing against...what am I missing?  Is it signal flags to boost the results?  Is it better accuracy?  More kills, more citadels?  More overall damage?  All the above?  An example: playing ranked the other day, I hit 134,000 damage with my Tirpitz.  I scored 3 kills and I think 4 citadels...I don’t think I broke 2,000 XP!  Doesn’t seem right.  Any thoughts are appreciated. 

[CAST]
Members
1,444 posts
7,924 battles

Are you talking about base XP or average XP?  If you are talking average XP, then are you using premium time?  Average XP includes premium time.  So, if you are not using it and someone else it using it, their average XP will often be higher than yours even if you do more in the game.

If you are looking at base XP, then you have to look at what is being done in the game.  XP awarded for damage is based on damage %, not raw damage numbers.  Higher damage numbers on BBs score less than lower damage numbers on DDs or CA/CLs.  Damage done by other ships while you are spotting also contributes, so a BB is less likely to get points for this.  XP is also awarded for capping, and most BBs never get there fast enough for that.  2000 base XP is good for a ranked game using a BB, because there are less targets.

Edited by Murcc

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
199 posts
6,344 battles

are you comparing the base xp at the end of the match? or are you comparing your "average xp" versus other players?

base xp in match does not take into account premium for what its worth.  2k base xp in a ranked game is very good.  

[ARGSY]
Members
8,735 posts
5,902 battles

More base caps and more base defences (hitting enemy ships attempting to flip your own caps)

More kills do help, all else being equal, BUT...

The greater the percentage of a ship's HP pool you personally deplete from the kill you make, the more XP you get (e.g. Devastating Strike, Liquidator). Killing a destroyer by draining 10,000 HP from it (assuming it has that much) gets you more than killing a battleship by taking its last 10,000HP. Hypothetically killing ten badly wounded ships by depleting their last 1,000 HP doesn't get you the same results, except that in Random battles you would get the Kraken medal (for killing five), and that one DOES tend to make a bit of a difference. 

Killing a ship of a higher tier than yours helps.

Others may be flying XP-bonus flags and paying for (or sometimes winning) Premium time, which boosts their earnings hugely. Premium ships with inbuilt premium camo also make a difference.

Beta Testers
292 posts
10,911 battles

I've increased mine by the simple trick of staying alive longer so I can do more damage. Don't have the mentality that was my problem for so long,ie (I have to get up ahead faster because all my teammates are likely to potato & that a trade off for my death was 1 of their ships was ok). Play smart & cautious, but not hang back. Find the ship that fits your style and play it 50% more than your other ships.Cover your captured caps by resetting them if they are getting captured. Watch the entire map constantly so you can head back to your cap if a flank vanishes before the enemy can cap you out is a good 1. Always stay near teammates that you can support and vice/versa. As I stated stay alive, that alone will reap rewards.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,737 posts
14,186 battles

Helping cap, defender badges, shooting planes down....but the biggee is shooting at DD's, damaging dd's is the way to make your credit and XP jump.

Edited by Sweetsie

[DUDS]
Members
60 posts
6,081 battles

Ahh, I see: hadn’t realized the value of Premium and hadn’t realized the cap value and BB limitations.  Thank you.  Now if someone could explain why I have a Wyoming with everything upgraded and I cannot get it to “elite” status no matter what I do?  That one has me stumped.  

[MIA-P]
Members
640 posts
5,829 battles
1 minute ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

Ahh, I see: hadn’t realized the value of Premium and hadn’t realized the cap value and BB limitations.  Thank you.  Now if someone could explain why I have a Wyoming with everything upgraded and I cannot get it to “elite” status no matter what I do?  That one has me stumped.  

Because you need to have unlocked all follow up ships as well, including the Langley.

48 minutes ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

I’m a pretty experienced player and I’ve done my share of damage in a game, but my average XP always looks pathetic next to whomever I’m playing against...what am I missing?  Is it signal flags to boost the results?  Is it better accuracy?  More kills, more citadels?  More overall damage?  All the above?  An example: playing ranked the other day, I hit 134,000 damage with my Tirpitz.  I scored 3 kills and I think 4 citadels...I don’t think I broke 2,000 XP!  Doesn’t seem right.  Any thoughts are appreciated. 

Your base XP depends on lots of different factors, including base captures, base defenses, medals (I think), spotting damage, winning battles and damage done. Damage done is complicated because the XP you gain from it depends on which ships you did that damage on, and the percentage of that ship's health you removed (not sure if this includes heals). I somewhere heard that securing the kill on a ship counts as having done an addition 15% of its health in damage.

I'm not sure if it's actually true that BBs get less XP from doing damage; I think it's more likely that BBs do a lot of damage to other BBs, but because BBs have so much health, doing 60k damage only counts as having done 70% damage on that ship, whereas if you did 60k damage to cruisers you'd likely have killed 2 full players.

If you're actually grinding XP then using flags and camos really helps. When I want to I can fairly consistently grind 10k XP per match, simply by stocking up on every XP bonus I can find and having an ok battle.

[SYN]
Members
7,209 posts
12,288 battles

Not all damage is equal.

Damage to a t8 is < damage to a t10

Damage to a BB is < damage to a DD.

So if you are farming damage only on other BBs, especially of same tier or lower than it's gonna be worth less XP than if you were dealing damage to CL/DD.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,966 posts
10,459 battles

Your survival rate is on the low side so work on staying alive longer.

Beta Testers
1,172 posts
14,713 battles
2 hours ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

Yes your average XP is a bit low but as senseNOTmade stated, you get more base XP for:

-Hitting ships that are capping.

-Taking hits in a cap zone.

-Capping.

-Killing a DD amounts to the same gain as killing a BB.

Mounting flags or camo does nothing for your average base XP, it adds the modifiers to the base XP.

I see you are a BB main.

High kill counts do not necessarily equate to high average XP,  if we are standing back taking potshots at range ....we may get high damage and kills but we make more XP getting up in the  reds faces and contesting caps.

Here is an example of a zero kill game with relatively high base XP. The plane kills helped but I was contesting caps in this one and may have capped a zone as well.

example.JPG

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,324 battles
2 hours ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

It's not necessarily the damage you do but who you do it to. If the 134 was against cruisers and DD's your XP would be through the roof. Cap defended ribbons Capping, cap assists are all XP earners. The raw overall damage is a small factor if all you did was shoot BB's. There are a bazillion threads on the forum about this I invite you to use the search function.