Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Raging_Capt_Bob

worst gaming experience ever

25 comments in this topic

Members
68 posts
11,637 battles

This season of ranked is the worst gaming experience I have ever had in any game. I have gotton to rank 10 so many times and then I will lose every game and I mean every game....so that is not just on me... back to level 12. this is a repeating pattern, doesn't happen naturally. I don't lose this many games in a row in randoms ,so I will never play ranked again. They wanna let us see how good we are ( I know I am just an average player) but do like world of tanks and give us 1 vs 1 games. they pick a tier and ship class. reduce the size of the map like they did in wot and then lets see how much fun that will be! 

• Cool 4

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
8,242 battles
32 minutes ago, Ima_Bullseye said:

This season of ranked is the worst gaming experience I have ever had in any game. I have gotton to rank 10 so many times and then I will lose every game and I mean every game....so that is not just on me... back to level 12. this is a repeating pattern, doesn't happen naturally. I don't lose this many games in a row in randoms ,so I will never play ranked again. They wanna let us see how good we are ( I know I am just an average player) but do like world of tanks and give us 1 vs 1 games. they pick a tier and ship class. reduce the size of the map like they did in wot and then lets see how much fun that will be! 

Feel you Bullseye. I'm back down to 15 for the 3rd time with no stars. I've made 13 twice and slipped back.

[POP]
Members
988 posts
12,138 battles

I started ranked and got to 9 pretty easy but then the salt, oh man the salt.

I ended up at 11 and took a break with the idea of getting to 10 and quitting but I never started again.

I am glad I stayed away.

[POP]
Members
1,289 posts
9,177 battles

I got to rank 5 two seasons running, but I never made it past 12.5 this time. It's just too painful. AFKs,, thought it''s gotten almost as bad in randoms. 

I'm really curious what the player count will be for this season vs. prior seasons. 

[PVE]
Members
4,202 posts
8,877 battles

I tried Rank last season, and was not impressed so I did not try this season at all.

AFK - While I do not like AFK players, I feel that banning them in anyway is way overboard.

[LUCK]
Members
1,702 posts
24,408 battles

Went from 15 to 9 in 18 battles with Kutuzov- then I went to a dark place. Dropped back to 12 and was mired in misery. I also am an optimist and don't play to save my star so that didn't help either. I figure a dev strike here or there from myself or a teammate and we're back in this thing. So, when all else fails, grab a German BB for ranked- now I'm at 6.

Ranked has helped me develop some patience which I now see is an undervalued/underdeveloped skill in many.

This is the only game I have played so I have no basis for comparing experiences. Clan battles were good too, in my opinion.

Hope you try again and have more success- you can't do much about AFKs.

[TXGUN]
Members
193 posts
13,516 battles

Ranked has been extremely frustrating for me this season.  I can tolerate 3 steps forward and 2 steps back.  On the other hand 3 steps forward and 4 steps back is difficult to deal with long term.  I believe the frequent AFK's can be attributed to the all to frequent disconnects from the server.  I have been plagued by them since the last update.  Anyone else observing this?

[XO]
Members
142 posts
13,573 battles

I played ranked last season and enjoyed it a lot.  This season, meh.  This has been a frequent topic in our clan chat as well, with several members (me included) giving up on ranked.  No teamwork, finger pointing, middle schooler behavior, and yeah...afk's.

Hoping for something better next season, but I really want full time clan battles.  What do dev's think many of us are here for?

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,011 posts

Why not just use rankings based on individual battle performance vs the current mixed bag of potatoes method now.  If ranked supposed to be based on personal skills why allow shell bait to drag down good players?

[WOLFG]
Members
24,239 posts
6,097 battles
1 hour ago, Ima_Bullseye said:

This season of ranked is the worst gaming experience I have ever had in any game. I have gotton to rank 10 so many times and then I will lose every game and I mean every game....so that is not just on me... back to level 12.

It's completely on you. Nobody's forcing you to keep banging your head against the wall...

[WOLFG]
Members
24,239 posts
6,097 battles
6 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Ranked is a broken game mode. It needs to be revamped. I didn't really even play it this season.

I didn't bother past the first match. Jumped to Rank 16, collected my aggregate rewards, and that was that.

[OO7]
Members
5,648 posts
12,434 battles

So what ships are you using, what's your wr in ranked and what's your wr in random? 

[WOLF2]
Members
1,477 posts
9,688 battles

I've dabbled in Ranked this season.   Putting it in the middle of a couple of events and over the holidays... well, my focus was on those events and other things.    Up to R11, and ok with that.   I may pick up a few more rounds to see if I can get to 10 or lower.   We'll see.

[-K-]
Members
201 posts
6,664 battles

You just described ranked in a nutshell.  If you play enough games you will come across AFKers, potatoes, throws, YOLO'ers, 'Snipers', loud mouths etc..  It's random in a bit more concise format wrapped up in a progression like system which allows players to be carried through.  

The good to great player will win 55% to 80% of their games... and they will generally rank out within 100-200 games.  It's still a pain, but generally winning more than losing and keeping a star here and there offers up the sense of progression - which mitigates the frustration a bit.  

The average player who wins roughly 50% of their battles.. will require 300+ games to rank out.  I can't imagine hitting the battle button this many times.. for such piddly rewards.

I would expect that the player would improve with this many battles and some may do.. but with so many losses, the frustration of these players seem to lead to inconsistent play and in many cases the opposite of team play.

**I'd argue that if you simply are struggling to progress in ranked with a fair amount of battles in - you in fact may have hit your skill ceiling and continuing to hit the battle button doesn't really help anyone.  

Members
2,709 posts
16,911 battles

I tell myself every season I'm going to rank out. 

After 8 seasons, I've only managed to do it once. These days, by the time I get to rank 5, I've had enough.

Members
65 posts
753 battles

I am a newer player and so this is my first time dabbling in ranked but from what I saw it is just a floating campfest with very little actual fighting. I don't know how many times I've gone in to get a cap, sink a ship or maybe 2, then escape only to see my team huddled together in a group 5 clicks away from any cap while the reds move in and take all the caps and wait for the win. Too many chicken littles that are too afraid to get close enough to do anything effective. Last night in one game the match starts, two of DD's head into a zone to cap it and do exactly that. As the reds begin getting closer we back away a bit for safety and send some torps in their direction to slow them down a bit and then notice 3 of our BB's are huddled together back at the spawn point (not sure they moved much more than a quarter of a square if any. Then a fourth sailed over to them and parked there as well. Needless to say we DD's got sank, then the cruiser sank, the reds took both caps and I am not sure a single shot was fired from those 4 BB's hiding in the back. I'll play a few more simply for the silver and XP but I have come to realize there is no gameplay in ranked and certainly no form of teamwork to try to actually win a match.

Members
2,229 posts
11,345 battles
3 hours ago, Ima_Bullseye said:

So.... you are open and honest about being an average player (hiding your stats doesn't support your statement but Dunning-Kruger is an epidemic in this community).  But what performance history is available shows wildly below average yet a steady progression toward improving, so let's assume at the time of your post you are in fact average.   Hovering around ranks 10-12 is roughly in the middle of the numerical rankings.  Middle... Average... doesn't that seem to sound to you that maybe the system is working as intended?  That the higher you go up in ranks the harder the competition and the harder it will be to advance?  Sure you should also get better players on your team as well, but 1/6 of the team is you.  And if you're running up against better players on both your team and the enemy team, the enemy team has a slight advantage when you expand it out over a large sample size.

Keep in mind also that Ranked mode isn't about winning a match.  "Winning" is ranking out.  Or at least climbing to the target rank you set your goal to be based on the rewards provided.  So you are not just competing against the enemy team, but you are also competing against your own team because you all are scratching and clawing over each other to advance.  And the guy that's on your team one match could easily and often be on the enemy team the next match. 

So the way to adapt and achieve that goal is to think about the strategies that you can implement that will get you to that goal in the most efficient / effective way possible.  And that is by changing the way you prioritize objectives.

Primary Objective:  Finish first to guarantee you don't lose a star and move backwards.

Secondary Objective:  Win the match.

Since 99% of what you do in the Primary Objective are the same things you need to do to win the match, players need to drop that irrational paradox that somehow playing to keep your star is a negative behavioral concept.  Think about it.  If all 7 players on your team scored enough points to finish first in your average match (say 1900 base xp for hypothetical) think about how much you'd steamroll the opponent.  Therefore, those that performed well enough to earn first place on a losing team are the LAST players to blame when it came to the loss.  It was the AFK player or guy that derped in 3 min from match start that is to blame.  But psychologically, everyone loves to hate the guy that finished first because he kept his star.  It's nothing but irrational thought.  Don't get sucked into it.  Think about the concept of "It's OK to lose the battle (finish first on a losing team) if you win the war (helped you to rank out)."

And if you find yourself struggling to finish first on losses so that you are constantly taking steps forward and steps backward, it means you've hit your skill wall (settled into the rank range that reflects your ability) and must learn to properly manage expectations.  If average players are getting to the highest rank, something should go off in a person's head and say maybe the system is broken.  Should you play a few hundred tennis matches and expect to be ahead of Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer (had to go there since the Australian Open just started)?

[Y0L0]
Members
9,945 posts
14,489 battles

doctor,   it hurts if I keep doing this.    

doctor:   well, stop doing it.     :cap_haloween:

Insanity is keep doing same thing and expecting different result. !  

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
988 posts
12,138 battles
3 minutes ago, VGLance said:

So.... you are open and honest about being an average player (hiding your stats doesn't support your statement but Dunning-Kruger is an epidemic in this community).  But what performance history is available shows wildly below average yet a steady progression toward improving, so let's assume at the time of your post you are in fact average.   Hovering around ranks 10-12 is roughly in the middle of the numerical rankings.  Middle... Average... doesn't that seem to sound to you that maybe the system is working as intended?  That the higher you go up in ranks the harder the competition and the harder it will be to advance?  Sure you should also get better players on your team as well, but 1/6 of the team is you.  And if you're running up against better players on both your team and the enemy team, the enemy team has a slight advantage when you expand it out over a large sample size.

Keep in mind also that Ranked mode isn't about winning a match.  "Winning" is ranking out.  Or at least climbing to the target rank you set your goal to be based on the rewards provided.  So you are not just competing against the enemy team, but you are also competing against your own team because you all are scratching and clawing over each other to advance.  And the guy that's on your team one match could easily and often be on the enemy team the next match. 

So the way to adapt and achieve that goal is to think about the strategies that you can implement that will get you to that goal in the most efficient / effective way possible.  And that is by changing the way you prioritize objectives.

Primary Objective:  Finish first to guarantee you don't lose a star and move backwards.

Secondary Objective:  Win the match.

Since 99% of what you do in the Primary Objective are the same things you need to do to win the match, players need to drop that irrational paradox that somehow playing to keep your star is a negative behavioral concept.  Think about it.  If all 7 players on your team scored enough points to finish first in your average match (say 1900 base xp for hypothetical) think about how much you'd steamroll the opponent.  Therefore, those that performed well enough to earn first place on a losing team are the LAST players to blame when it came to the loss.  It was the AFK player or guy that derped in 3 min from match start that is to blame.  But psychologically, everyone loves to hate the guy that finished first because he kept his star.  It's nothing but irrational thought.  Don't get sucked into it.  Think about the concept of "It's OK to lose the battle (finish first on a losing team) if you win the war (helped you to rank out)."

And if you find yourself struggling to finish first on losses so that you are constantly taking steps forward and steps backward, it means you've hit your skill wall (settled into the rank range that reflects your ability) and must learn to properly manage expectations.  If average players are getting to the highest rank, something should go off in a person's head and say maybe the system is broken.  Should you play a few hundred tennis matches and expect to be ahead of Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer (had to go there since the Australian Open just started)?

I want to agree with this, but even Nadal or Federer would be losing stars wholesale with the salt and bad attitudes that are poisoning the teams in ranked.

Members
2,229 posts
11,345 battles
2 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

I want to agree with this, but even Nadal or Federer would be losing stars wholesale with the salt and bad attitudes that are poisoning the teams in ranked.

If that's the case it actually further proves my point.  If players are playing like crap on your team because of salt, playing on tilt, etc. then it should be easier for you to finish at the top.  The key here is to grasp the concept of "Keep that star on matches that are going to be a loss anyway so you can weather the storm until you land on a team that you can win with."  And it takes skill to keep your star consistently.  The higher the skill, the less frequently you're taking steps backwards which results in overall forward progression.

Look at my season for example.  Keep in mind I only stop at rank 11 each season to get the doubloons.  After that the rewards are not worth it to me from a time value of money perspective.

I played 29 matches.  The majority of the matches were numerically not in my favor (I run a program that shows everyone's performance history so I can see OBJECTIVELY without irrational bias when teams are roughly balanced and when they are lopsided).   I had more weaker teams (with a surprising number of AFKs) than stronger teams this season.  Luck swings wildly sometimes with small sample sizes.  Had I played 200+ games, I'm sure it would have evened out.  I started the season I believe Rank 18.  But how could it be possible to get all the way to 11 in just 29 matches with a 51.72% win rate?

On all those 14 losses, I only lost 2 stars.  12/14 losses finishing first place.

Those that can weather the really bad luck runs will progress through the ranks.  It's just that simple.  It's like poker.  You can't just play every hand to the river expecting to win.  Sometimes you have to fold for 2 hours straight if you're card dead.  You have to choose your spots wisely.  Think of star preservation as playing defensively.  Defense is just as critical a performance strategy as offense.  This is especially true in my case since I'm not good enough as some players who can just muscle a win and perform an epic carry.  Those players who are WoWs Jedi masters, they might disagree with my approach because to them, winning is the only thing they know because it's all they do.  So they don't even need to worry about finishing first on a loss to keep a star.  They're finishing first and winning nearly every match regardless, so a loss here and thereto them is inconsequential. 

[POP]
Members
988 posts
12,138 battles

Here you are sharing your positive vibes, helpful suggestions, and insightful experiences to actually inspire captains who are willing to stick it out in rank and I just ruined it by complaining...

35 minutes ago, VGLance said:

If that's the case it actually further proves my point.  If players are playing like crap on your team because of salt, playing on tilt, etc. then it should be easier for you to finish at the top.  The key here is to grasp the concept of "Keep that star on matches that are going to be a loss anyway so you can weather the storm until you land on a team that you can win with."  And it takes skill to keep your star consistently.  The higher the skill, the less frequently you're taking steps backwards which results in overall forward progression.

Look at my season for example.  Keep in mind I only stop at rank 11 each season to get the doubloons.  After that the rewards are not worth it to me from a time value of money perspective.

I played 29 matches.  The majority of the matches were numerically not in my favor (I run a program that shows everyone's performance history so I can see OBJECTIVELY without irrational bias when teams are roughly balanced and when they are lopsided).   I had more weaker teams (with a surprising number of AFKs) than stronger teams this season.  Luck swings wildly sometimes with small sample sizes.  Had I played 200+ games, I'm sure it would have evened out.  I started the season I believe Rank 18.  But how could it be possible to get all the way to 11 in just 29 matches with a 51.72% win rate?

On all those 14 losses, I only lost 2 stars.  12/14 losses finishing first place.

Those that can weather the really bad luck runs will progress through the ranks.  It's just that simple.  It's like poker.  You can't just play every hand to the river expecting to win.  Sometimes you have to fold for 2 hours straight if you're card dead.  You have to choose your spots wisely.  Think of star preservation as playing defensively.  Defense is just as critical a performance strategy as offense.  This is especially true in my case since I'm not good enough as some players who can just muscle a win and perform an epic carry.  Those players who are WoWs Jedi masters, they might disagree with my approach because to them, winning is the only thing they know because it's all they do.  So they don't even need to worry about finishing first on a loss to keep a star.  They're finishing first and winning nearly every match regardless, so a loss here and thereto them is inconsequential. 

1kxup2.jpg

Sign in to follow this