You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

VPN (virtual private network) Do you use one?

17 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,063 posts

Anyone use one when gaming with WG/WoWS? If so, who and care to share the experience, pros/cons? tiafyc

Members
117 posts
6,989 battles

Yes but not when I play. I've never noticed any slow downs using my VPN when surfing or streaming but when playing I want to keep things as direct as possible. It will be interesting to see the replys to this.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
1,878 posts
8,852 battles

I use a VPN for many things involving downloading and anonymous connectivity and have no issue with speeds.  However, a VPN does add more hops, so it may cause a lag in a game, even though the actual throughput of data might be the same.  You want to keep the path to the server as short and clean as possible to remove any possibility of sync issues.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,259 posts
31,135 battles

I use a VPN for everything (Windows and Android), except for WOWS where I set it to bypass. I did not detect any slowdowns but it is not needed there.

[YORHA]
Members
4,325 posts
7,805 battles

I guess my question is why would you want to use a VPN for WoWs?

[INTEL]
Members
7,259 posts
31,135 battles
17 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

I guess my question is why would you want to use a VPN for WoWs?

Right. It does not make much sense but if you have it on all the time (as you should) and the VPN system you use (aka "el cheapo")  does not have a bypass feature, then you might have it on.

I use a serious commercial VPN, for several reasons, some of which have to do with current state of politics and other disagreeable stuff we shouldn't discuss here. (I am open to discussing it privately if you wish).

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,547 posts
11,466 battles
1 hour ago, KyourakuShunsui said:

No, a VPN just slows you down. Why would you even do that?

Because they are gaming at work and need to hide the traffic. :Smile_sceptic:

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
1,878 posts
8,852 battles
46 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Right. It does not make much sense but if you have it on all the time (as you should) and the VPN system you use (aka "el cheapo")  does not have a bypass feature, then you might have it on.

I use a serious commercial VPN, for several reasons, some of which have to do with current state of politics and other disagreeable stuff we shouldn't discuss here. (I am open to discussing it privately if you wish).

I use a paid VPN service myself and it gives me 30MB or greater speeds.  I love it.  Its nice to be able to be anonymous sometimes.  You never know who's watching.  I still don't use it for gaming, though.  

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,547 posts
11,466 battles
43 minutes ago, Murcc said:

I use a paid VPN service myself and it gives me 30MB or greater speeds.  I love it.  Its nice to be able to be anonymous sometimes.  You never know who's watching.  I still don't use it for gaming, though.  

Unless you are using burner devices, you aren't anonymous. Period, end of story. Even then burners can be tracked if you arn't extremely careful. 

What gums up big survelance is the mass collection of data. False positives increase exponentially as you increase the database size, quickly rendering the whole thing useless.

Surveillance that is effective is limited in both size and scope. The Warsaw Pact nations had 20% of the population as informants, yet was largly ineffective. Modern computer tech has not solved the problem. 

If you are trying to hide from someone or something SPECIFIC, then that is something you can protect against. The "You never know who is watching" [edited] is exactly that, [edited] peddled by hucksters wanting to separate you from your money. 

[INTEL]
Members
7,259 posts
31,135 battles

You are non anonymous with a VPN.

What you get (among others):

1. encrypted point-to-point so your ISP cannot see what you send through

2. your ISP does not see where you go (IP addy) so they cannot sell that information to the highest bidder/marketer. 

3. if you want to see content (e.g. YouTube) that is restricted to another country for licensing issues, you can re-point to another open IP from your VPN provider in that country (one main reason I use the top-rated VPN with presence in many many countries).

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,975 battles
2 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

Because they are gaming at work and need to hide the traffic. :Smile_sceptic:

Funny thing is, IT worth the name can see it anyway...if they can't see it, you don't need to hide it anyway...

I do use a VPN to access my work computer from home, but that's it.  I do wonder why someone would use a VPN for WoWS.

Members
117 posts
6,989 battles
1 hour ago, alexf24 said:

3. if you want to see content (e.g. YouTube) that is restricted to another country for licensing issues, you can re-point to another open IP from your VPN provider in that country (one main reason I use the top-rated VPN with presence in many many countries).

Yep this was a godsend to me when I moved several years ago. I originally started using my VPN to stream sports that would otherwise be unavailable here. I live just far enough away from Philadelphia that I dont have any Philly sports coverage but I'm just close enough to have it all blacked out on the internet (any other service) Now I use it for pretty much evrything but gaming.

Edited by Slyv

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,063 posts

Well... another thread was talking about potential issues with the server/client stream... so I went looking around about VPN... apparently "some" are sufficient speed-wise to play online games. One "potential" issue "potentially" addressed with a VPN was attacks against individual players using their internet address. I though that was silly... but thought I'd ask the community to see what they thought of it, that is, VPN for gaming. 

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

No, a VPN will slow you down.

Your internet connection already uses a routing protocol to use the quickest path possible by default.

A VPN uses the same exact routing protocol, but it encrypts your traffic end to end to ensure a secure connection.

A VPN can help you bypass restrictions on accessing different content, but it will not improve your connection speeds in all but the rarest of cases.

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

As others have said a VPN also doesn't ensure privacy. A simple packet sniffer can read the data transmitted, the hard part is decrypting it.

The most laughable claim ever is people claiming something can't be traced online. There is always a connection established from sender to receiver, no matter how much you attempt to hide your trail. As long as the transmitting info is available it can be traced, you simply unpack the message and follow it all the way back.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
1,878 posts
8,852 battles
3 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

Unless you are using burner devices, you aren't anonymous. Period, end of story. Even then burners can be tracked if you arn't extremely careful. 

What gums up big survelance is the mass collection of data. False positives increase exponentially as you increase the database size, quickly rendering the whole thing useless.

Surveillance that is effective is limited in both size and scope. The Warsaw Pact nations had 20% of the population as informants, yet was largly ineffective. Modern computer tech has not solved the problem. 

If you are trying to hide from someone or something SPECIFIC, then that is something you can protect against. The "You never know who is watching" [edited] is exactly that, [edited] peddled by hucksters wanting to separate you from your money. 

Yes.  Quite a bit of info is still available.  What I was referring to was the surface IP address that most web sites use for tracking purposes.  Not very many dig into the depth of the packets to determine where the original IP came from.  I should have stated privacy instead of anonymity.  It is a better representation.  You really aren't anonymous.