Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legozer

MM whingeing and whining

41 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
10,853 battles

SOOOO ,much whining about MM. "OOOOOO NOOOOO I get bottom tiered and the game gets tooooooo hard, mwaaaa!!!!"

Stop it. Some matches are hard, some are easy. DEAL with it. The free game doesn't owe you a favourable match. The free game owes you nothing.

The matchmaking, overall, is very good and typically (although not always) very balanced. Hell, most of the time a teammate starts a match [edited] on about MM, we nonetheless win in a landslide.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many threads and even MORE posts whingeing and pissing about the MM. JUST STOP IT. Make the best of what you're given or uninstall.

FOR THE RECORD, I couldn't care less about being bottom tier. In fact, I welcome it. Learn to embrace the fact that your powdered little hiney isn't special or different or more valuable than any other: it's just a bare little/huge bum like any other. Go into battle and either get your bum spanked or spank someone else's. OH I HATE BEING T5 CUZ SOMETIMES I SEE MEAN OLD T7s. Sell it and go back to T3. That's how it is at T5, T7, T8.  Deal with it or find a comfy tier that you can dominate at. Spare the rest of us from your grief and nonsense complaints and enjoy never getting out of T4. 

Hey, another thing: you're gonna get crap teams. It happens JUST AS OFTEN AS YOU GET GOOD ONES. Learn to appreciate the good ones, it will take the sting away from getting plunked into the crap ones here and there. The MM doesn't owe you a win: that's on you alone. Sometimes you will be given a team that ABSOLUTELY cannot win. Tough titty! Move on and trust the law of averages, cuz it's an actual thing.

The MM is very good overall. Accept it, or don't, I don't care. Just stop whining about it.

• Cool 5

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

This is spot on.

10 minutes ago, legozer said:

SOOOO ,much whining about MM. "OOOOOO NOOOOO I get bottom tiered and the game gets tooooooo hard, mwaaaa!!!!"

Stop it. Some matches are hard, some are easy. DEAL with it. The free game doesn't owe you a favourable match. The free game owes you nothing.

The matchmaking, overall, is very good and typically (although not always) very balanced. Hell, most of the time a teammate starts a match [edited] on about MM, we nonetheless win in a landslide.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many threads and even MORE posts whingeing and pissing about the MM. JUST STOP IT. Make the best of what you're given or uninstall.

FOR THE RECORD, I couldn't care less about being bottom tier. In fact, I welcome it. Learn to embrace the fact that your powdered little hiney isn't special or different or more valuable than any other: it's just a bare little/huge bum like any other. Go into battle and either get your bum spanked or spank someone else's. OH I HATE BEING T5 CUZ SOMETIMES I SEE MEAN OLD T7s. Sell it and go back to T3. That's how it is at T5, T7, T8.  Deal with it or find a comfy tier that you can dominate at. Spare the rest of us from your grief and nonsense complaints and enjoy never getting out of T4. 

Hey, another thing: you're gonna get crap teams. It happens JUST AS OFTEN AS YOU GET GOOD ONES. Learn to appreciate the good ones, it will take the sting away from getting plunked into the crap ones here and there. The MM doesn't owe you a win: that's on you alone. Sometimes you will be given a team that ABSOLUTELY cannot win. Tough titty! Move on and trust the law of averages, cuz it's an actual thing.

The MM is very good overall. Accept it, or don't, I don't care. Just stop whining about it.

Great post +1

[NDA]
Supertester
3,340 posts
6,338 battles

You know, I didn't even know what whingeing was until a few hours ago, english is fun.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
10,853 battles

Hey, while on the topic, there's something else I've been thinking about a lot: great players lost in the shuffle of tough games that went either way and then complain that it didn't go EXACTLY their way. This happens a bit less often than the whingeing about MM, but it's something to be addressed.

Look, Art Garfunkel literally has the voice of an angel. Like, one of the greatest non-opera singers to ever live. He had a great career, and was inducted to the HoF on his own merits. Paul Simon's career eventually eclipsed Art's. Did that make Garfunkel any less a talent? Did fate smile on Art? OF COURSE IT DID. Did Simon do a bit better? Yep, and that's just how the chips fall.

GOOD/GREAT players: you get your rewards. More often than not you get to shine like the stars that you are. Please stop (if you are inclined to do so) whining about the quality of team you got cursed with when you lose, or even win in the way you didn't see coming. Just be happy that you are great, because even if you can't always be Simon, you're almost always Garfunkel, and that's just plain amazing.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
10,853 battles
2 minutes ago, legozer said:

Hey, while on the topic, there's something else I've been thinking about a lot: great players lost in the shuffle of tough games that went either way and then complain that it didn't go EXACTLY their way. This happens a bit less often than the whingeing about MM, but it's something to be addressed.

Look, Art Garfunkel literally has the voice of an angel. Like, one of the greatest non-opera singers to ever live. He had a great career, and was inducted to the HoF on his own merits. Paul Simon's career eventually eclipsed Art's. Did that make Garfunkel any less a talent? Did fate smile on Art? OF COURSE IT DID. Did Simon do a bit better? Yep, and that's just how the chips fall.

GOOD/GREAT players: you get your rewards. More often than not you get to shine like the stars that you are. Please stop (if you are inclined to do so) whining about the quality of team you got cursed with when you lose, or even win in the way you didn't see coming. Just be happy that you are great, because even if you can't always be Simon, you're almost always Garfunkel, and that's just plain amazing.

I tried to get really nuanced there. 

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
10,853 battles
7 minutes ago, Sinboto said:

You know, I didn't even know what whingeing was until a few hours ago, english is fun.

I live to educate!

[ARGSY]
Members
1,815 posts
10,853 battles

That's what a fool believes.

Edited by legozer

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
18,733 battles

a topic whining and whinging about whining and whinging!

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

[WOLFB]
Members
2,546 posts
10,388 battles
22 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

a topic whining and whinging about whining and whinging!

Whininception :o

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
614 posts
5,528 battles

I'm open to whinge.

Look, I'm sorry that Tier IX and X are toxic, because of meta or camping bbs or whatever. I don't care. What I do care about is that as soon as I jump into Tier VII or Tier VIII I find myself shoved into a Tier IX or Tier X game because cramming me into a game makes the wait shorter for people who chose to play top tiers.

When I play CVs I accept that the wait time for a game might be longer because there are so few other people playing CVs. 

The grind for DOY has been a MASSIVE pain in the butt for me because the ships I do best with, Tiers 5, 6 and 7, are continually being matched with tiers 2-3 above it. I have almost no opportunity to have an impact on the game, and much less opportunity to grind the fires, floods, torps, sinkings and spottings needed for the campaign. I agree, there are opportunities to do well when low tier, it teaches cautious gameplay. I had some excellent results with my Hipper. You tend to stay back behind the others, sniping at targets of opportunity, not taking risks, letting others push... oh, hang on. THIS IS EXACTLY THE GAMEPLAY PEOPLE TOP TIERS ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT!

I actually went into ranked battles to grind the campaign to guarantee that I'd stop being uptiered. Apologies to my teammates who lost stars because I was going for campaign goals rather than wins. Selfish? Yes, but blame the MM.

The only time people DON'T whine about MM is when they are top tier, and unless you're tier X that's seemingly rare.

The MM is bad for the top tiers: People being uptiered regularly change to a cautious playstyle which they become familiar with right through to Tier X. It's why Tier X bbs hide behind islands.
The MM is bad for the game: People are sticking to mid and low tiers, seal clubbing, to avoid being stupidly crammed into tiers they cannot compete with.
The MM is bad for me: I'm at the stage when if I get into a game where anyone is more than 1 tier above me I'm gonna ragequit and start a new match with a different ship.
The MM is bad for new players: Players staying at low tiers sealclubbing will likely cause new players to leave before becoming invested in the game.
The MM is bad for the grind: What incentive do I have to take out my higher tier ships to grind when I'm only an xp harvest for another player.

/rant

• Cool 4

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,307 posts
20,165 battles

Have said this so many times, am just cutting and pasting..

Matchmaking is the most often cited reason in "Screw You Guys, I Quit" posts here in the forums. If you look at the negative Steam reviews, the complaint is second only to the inability to integrate your Steam account with your standard Wargaming account. IMHO it is about half the forum population who dislikes MM the way it is and about half that like it. Wargaming itself sees no problem with it even though quite a few players leave the game around tier 5/6. WoWS bleeds mid level players like a severed artery, this leads to fewer people at higher tiers. The solution is to drag lower tier ships into higher tiered games which just leads to more people leaving. It is a stupid solution but one that will not be dealt with because Wargaming says it isn't a problem... You go figure... 

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles
5 hours ago, legozer said:

The MM is very good overall. 

On what, exactly, do you base this statement? Opinion?

And please, can we stop whining about whining?

[ARGSY]
Members
10,185 posts
6,652 battles

More-than-occasional uptiering of my Fiji into games heavy with Tier VIII and Tier IX ships is one of the reasons I don't mount XP flags or camo, especially the really rare, big ones; I tend to die early in such games or my team gets ROFLstomped, and that tends to waste them. I don't have all that many, and I cannot afford that. A good game for me is one I walk away from with 1000 XP after modifiers, at least until I get radically better and build up my silver to the point where I can afford to throw premium consumables around a lot more.

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
26 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

WoWS bleeds mid level players like a severed artery

While I have gotten used to MM, I do agree WoWS bleeds for various reasons from MM to toxic chat. I think in time WG will make changes but hopefully in a way that can bring players into and back to the game.

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

I love it when people degrade other people for having certain expectations. Who set these expectations, the person or the company? In my opinion the companies are at fault here, each company, in an effort to get more business keeps adding "perks". So the expectation becomes, if you want my time / money you will offer at least the same "perks" but will likely need to add 1 more to gain my business. It really is just a snowball effect that is a result of business trying to out do each other.

On the subject of MM, its crap, like utter and total crap, 99% of the other MP games I play have some sort of skill based MM, which means you are playing with people at / around your skill level. Not so in WOWs, its literally random, ranked is random and CW is random as well. Also, because so many lower tier players were leaving they instituted protected MM, sort of like acknowledging there is a problem with player retention. Too bad this had a massive trickle "up" effect, really messing up the T5, T6 and T8 MM so these folks are bottom tier. I don't mind being bottom tier, some times its fun and can be very rewarding, especially if you carry from bottom tier. However, I do not like being bottom tier in 70% of my games, it gets really old, really fast.

Now, back to the main point it seems, owing us anything. No WG doesn't owe us a single thing, they can run their company / game how they see fit. Only 1 problem, if they want people to play their game, if they want people to buy ships, etc... They must make the game fun, and engaging (not talking about dets here). They must make me want to spend my time and hard earned money on "their" game. If for whatever reason I find the game not fun, I can assure you there are hundreds of other games I could spend my time and money on. So, no, WG doesn't "owe" us anything, but if they enjoy making money, they will ensure they have a fun, quality product.

PS. Irony of making a whiny post about whiny. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2

[EGO]
Members
3,464 posts
6 hours ago, legozer said:

MM is the biggest problem with the game and is the one thing that will prevent it from ever being truly successful. Most people don't have an infinite amount of time to waste on bad games just to get one good one. Especially when there are plenty of games out there that are run far more competently.

Members
5,201 posts
9,061 battles
6 hours ago, Sinboto said:

First time I heard it was watching GoT. 

Members
256 posts
7,241 battles

Is this from the perspective of a player who mainly plays destroyers?

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
391 posts
9,976 battles

Everytime the match starts with it:

tumblr_ov3caqN4LK1s5m21go5_540.gif

• Funny 1

Members
22,304 posts
5,778 battles
14 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

MM is the biggest problem with the game and is the one thing that will prevent it from ever being truly successful. Most people don't have an infinite amount of time to waste on bad games just to get one good one. Especially when there are plenty of games out there that are run far more competently.

The biggest problem with the MM is the players.

If it was just a matter of skill disparity, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. But because, aside from really good players, two equally skilled players might have different motivations, it's much more noticeable.

[TASH]
Beta Testers
25 posts
3,564 battles

Matchmaking is broken

sometimes I've constantly got into the playlist that our team's WR is 6% and more lower than the enemy's for a whole bunch of hours. You can put me into 2 times in a row I guess okay the player number is not enough to balance... but for 4 hours??!

you know people got frustrated and so painfully watch teammates are heading towards to enemy and sunk from time to time...

today I've met a Ranked 1 Division... that we met 4 times in a row, and yes, all on the other side...  don't MM can make me play with them as a team once ???

u can see the screenshot from MMonitor 

my conq WR drop  from 53 to 49 in one day few matchs and my teammates vs others

TBH. i'm not a great player that can carry the whole game into victory but... at least give me some same level player that we can have fun in it.

Ma.jpg

Mb.jpg

Edited by nekopoi

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,899 posts
4,227 battles
1 minute ago, nekopoi said:

sometimes I've constantly got into the playlist that our team's WR is 10% and more lower than the enemy's for a whole bunch of hours. You can put me into 2 times in a row I guess okay the player number is not enough to balance... but for 4 hours??!

today I've met a Ranked 1 Division... that we met 4 times in a row, and yes, all on the other side...  don't MM can make me play with them as a team once ???

Fun Fact: if you wait for 3-6 minutes after a bad match before pressing the "Battle On" button, you are less-likely to see the players you just saw in your next match. Why? If you press the "Battle On" button within 2 minutes after the match ends, you are pretty-much unintentionally sync-dropping with 70% of players in the battle, because most players will spend a minute or two looking over the post battle results and then just click the "Battle-On" button.

Also, divisions can bork MM,  but there's no real way to fix that until the server pop gets much higher.

Sign in to follow this