You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DreadRaybo

Duke of York - WG, Why?

35 comments in this topic

[B2P]
Members
565 posts
15,235 battles

So I just finished both of the Duke of York related campaigns, which required quite a bit of play in the DOY.  In playing it I thought it was not a terrible ship, but it felt like you had to constantly fight it to get it to do the things you want it to do.  I originally thought that either increasing its heals to 3 standard, or making its fewer heals super ones (like the Nelson) would do the trick.  Then after I finished the New Year Raid campaign I realized I had enough XP in the Queen Elizabeth to get the KGV.

OH MY GOD!!!  Even in the A hull configuration the KGV just felt so much better.  And the only thing I can see that is really different are the main gun reload times and turret traverse (besides the aforementioned heals, which I didn't even use in its maiden voyage).  So my question to WG is this.  Why did you decide to nerf the DOY so much compared to the KGV?  The only thing the DOY has over the KGV is hydro, and it's not that great of hydro and you only get 1 base charge.

Or is the DOY supposed to be like hard mode?  For those people who think playing the KGV is too easy?  I just don't get why the one ship got nerfed so hard compared to the other, especially since they are basically the same ship.

Inigo_M0ntoya would probably enjoy this, but it reminds me of that scene in Princess Bride where Inigo says he will fight with his left hand, to make the fight more challenging.

I know this horse has probably been beat to death by now, but I just had to get that off my chest.

• Cool 4

[SIM]
Members
3,170 posts
4,955 battles

The speculation is that DoY was either released intentionally underpowered and will receive a buff later, or DoY represents what KGV will look like once it gets pounded by the nerf bat in the immediate future. 

• Cool 1

[SQUAD]
[SQUAD]
Members
182 posts
462 battles

I have no issues with DoY, in fact I do so much better with it than with KGV I'm considering selling off KGV.

I really don't understand all the complaints.

• Boring 2
  • Bad 2

Alpha Tester
2,195 posts
48 minutes ago, LastSamurai714 said:

It's so bad they can't give the dang thing away. LOL!

Bad or not, no way WG was going to make it easy for everyone to get a T7 premium.

[B2P]
Members
565 posts
15,235 battles
3 minutes ago, xDiaboliquex said:

I have no issues with DoY, in fact I do so much better with it than with KGV I'm considering selling off KGV.

You remind me of those DirecTV ads.  You must also like hitting your head on things, running into glass doors, etc.  :cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,004 posts
6,976 battles
8 minutes ago, xDiaboliquex said:

If you compare the stats directly you can see the reason for the complaints:

DoY has better raw AA, in Exchange the KGV has Access to either a spotter plane or a fighter aircraft

DoY has one Charge of Hydro, in Exchange the KGV has one more Charge for it's Repair Party

KGV has a 4.5 second shorter reload, in Exchange the DoY has ... *insert nothing*

KGV has a slightly faster rudder shift, in Exchange the DoY has ... *insert nothing*

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles
9 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

The speculation is that DoY was either released intentionally underpowered and will receive a buff later, or DoY represents what KGV will look like once it gets pounded by the nerf bat in the immediate future. 

Given i see no reason for a KGV nerf i don;t know why you think it's going to be nerfed into the ground.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,040 posts
58 minutes ago, xDiaboliquex said:

I too believe someone posting an opinion with an alt is meaningful....:Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLFB]
Members
2,230 posts
9,756 battles
1 hour ago, Colonel_Potter said:

Gonna be funny when they nerf the KGV instead of buffing the Duke of York.  :cap_haloween:

While I don't really know why KGV should be nerfed, I think that's what WG will do.

KGV has garbage accuracy, garbage AA and poor armor, her only power is her HE. But yeah, I think we will see a nerf of KGV to "balans" DoY 

[SIM]
Members
3,170 posts
4,955 battles
6 hours ago, Carl said:

Given i see no reason for a KGV nerf i don;t know why you think it's going to be nerfed into the ground.

“RN BBs are OP” is the justification that comes to mind, regardless of whether or not KGV is an offender in that regard.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles
6 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

“RN BBs are OP” is the justification that comes to mind, regardless of whether or not KGV is an offender in that regard.

Generally Wg'ing doesn't use that kind of thinking, they look at stats, given KGV hasn't been out even as long as Algerie and Algerie's stats are still dropping i don't think we'll see major changes if any. Thats said i could be wrong, the changes to Conqueror and Lion where a result of those ships producing a negetive play environment for many in other ships, so they made tweak that probably haven;t overly nerfed the ships, but have had strong positive effects on how they where twisting others enjoyment of the game.

• Cool 1

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

DOY is OP at T7. Aside from Nelson and KGV what ships at T7 are definitively better! Only mark against this ship is that it's worse than the KGV which is an OP ship at T7. Aside from it's sister, DOY is better than every tech tree ship at it's tier! Hood I think it's a matter of play style but I can see that argument. 

Members
688 posts
832 battles
11 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

DOY is OP at T7. Aside from Nelson and KGV what ships at T7 are definitively better! Only mark against this ship is that it's worse than the KGV which is an OP ship at T7. Aside from it's sister, DOY is better than every tech tree ship at it's tier! Hood I think it's a matter of play style but I can see that argument. 

DoY is not better considering it barely has anreload advantage on some of the BBs, and has meh armor.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
Just now, RealNewDeal said:

DoY is not better considering it barely has anreload advantage on some of the BBs, and has meh armor.

Nature of DOY's guns means you can shoot all your guns off without going broadside. Meh armor doesn't really matter when you can charge BB's at 180 degrees. And barely having a reload advantage is still a reload advantage. Anything above 30 is good and not a problem, Colorado's got 30, Nagato's got 32(Ashikata's got 31) and only the German BB's and KGV have better ROF and in regards to the Germans that's kind of their thing. The French BB according to the wiki will have a 30 second reload as well. This is only a problem if you're comparing it to the KGV. Even the beloved Nelson has a 30 second ROF and so does the Hood.  It's a better BB than any non British BB at this tier. It is not garbage. 

There is almost no valid critique of this ship that doesn't compare it to other OP T7 BB's, you aren't seeing a fair comparison with how the ship looks at T7 as a whole. The ship isn't garbage. 

Alpha Tester
3,482 posts
1,522 battles
18 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

Honestly I am expecting the latter.  Why?  Because as it stands right now, the DoY is pretty balanced compared to the other Tier 7 BBs not named KGV or Nelson.  KGV on the other hand is clearly operating at an advantage compared to every Tier 7 not named Nelson and because of that I am really expecting them to tone her down a notch or two.

As far as the comparison between the two, there isn't any.  I ended up buying the DoY because I realized I wasn't going to have the time to grind her for free and wanted to make sure I got all the New Year's Raid stuff so like the OP had access to the DoY before I got access to the KGV.   This allowed me to be very objective and form an opinion of the DoY without the specter of the KGV looming in the background and the result was the DoY was a pretty decent Tier 7 BB, maybe even slightly above average and I still stick by that evaluation.  However just like the OP, I now have my hands on the KGV and its really night and day.  The KGV is just so much more comfortable to play.  The 25.5 second reload makes a huge difference and goes a long way toward making up for the extremely poor dispersion of both the KGV and DoY and the spotter plane is just hands down more useful than hydro.  The extra heal is also nice to have even though I don't think it is a requirement. 

That being the case, I wouldn't be at all disappointed if they just buffed the DoY to have the same reload as the KGV.  Give it that and I would be extremely happy with the DoY and that is where my vote would go.  But yeah as I mentioned above, they have pretty solid average and balanced performance with the DoY so I have a feeling they would prefer that than to have every RN Tier 7 BB dominating the Tier. 

Members
212 posts
5,894 battles

I think the DOY is fine, I have sunk it with all 32 of my DDs. It should not be buffed all other BBs are overpowered. KGV sank a DD once it should have it' s sigma corrected to .005. I applaud WG for accurately modeling a BB at last. Last game I drove a DOY I did well sinking 29 ships . Any changes would make this ship OP

/SARCASM OFF

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles
1 hour ago, Midnitewolf said:

Honestly I am expecting the latter.  Why?  Because as it stands right now, the DoY is pretty balanced compared to the other Tier 7 BBs not named KGV or Nelson.  KGV on the other hand is clearly operating at an advantage compared to every Tier 7 not named Nelson and because of that I am really expecting them to tone her down a notch or two.

As far as the comparison between the two, there isn't any.  I ended up buying the DoY because I realized I wasn't going to have the time to grind her for free and wanted to make sure I got all the New Year's Raid stuff so like the OP had access to the DoY before I got access to the KGV.   This allowed me to be very objective and form an opinion of the DoY without the specter of the KGV looming in the background and the result was the DoY was a pretty decent Tier 7 BB, maybe even slightly above average and I still stick by that evaluation.  However just like the OP, I now have my hands on the KGV and its really night and day.  The KGV is just so much more comfortable to play.  The 25.5 second reload makes a huge difference and goes a long way toward making up for the extremely poor dispersion of both the KGV and DoY and the spotter plane is just hands down more useful than hydro.  The extra heal is also nice to have even though I don't think it is a requirement. 

That being the case, I wouldn't be at all disappointed if they just buffed the DoY to have the same reload as the KGV.  Give it that and I would be extremely happy with the DoY and that is where my vote would go.  But yeah as I mentioned above, they have pretty solid average and balanced performance with the DoY so I have a feeling they would prefer that than to have every RN Tier 7 BB dominating the Tier. 

Again given how new KGV is there's no evidence yet of overperformance. Algerie was the same after the first couple of months 54.somthing % win rate.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,040 posts
3 hours ago, Aristotle83 said:

You're kidding right?:Smile_amazed:

Do you really think you should be giving opinions when you haven't really learned anything about the game?

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
Just now, awiggin said:

You're kidding right?:Smile_amazed:

Do you really think you should be giving opinions when you haven't really learned anything about the game?

Know enough to see the whole "Duke of York argument is garbage". 

[WOLF7]
Members
11,040 posts
Just now, Aristotle83 said:

Know enough to see the whole "Duke of York argument is garbage". 

Well, good luck with that...:Smile_teethhappy:

I'm sure your considerable experience in the KGV and other tier 7 ships gives you a valid opinion.....oh wait....:cap_hmm: