You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AirshipCanon

For those that remember: The Takao Panic

Scumbag Present?   

116 members have voted

1. 1. Was it exactly a scum move to give away the Takao?

• Yes, people paid a pretty penny for the Atago, and it's not right that the same ship was given away for free.
    • No, it was a free ship.

52 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
Just now, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

I just remember doing the mission for the Takao, and beating my head on the wall over it....FINALLY getting it.....and hardly ever play it, LOL... :Smile_bajan2:

I got all the ARP ships and didn't play them much either. Then when I took a break over the summer, WG changed the ARP captains to be able to work on IJN ships. That changed everything.

When I got the Kongo, I used the ARP Kongos for further captain training on the ARP Kongo captain. I'll do the same for Myoko. I have been playing the Atago and Takao for the Yamamoto & Shinonome campaigns, so working on a 203mm Mogami captain and a 155mm Mogami captain for when I get that.

[ARP2]
Supertester
468 posts
4,293 battles

110k base XP without premium is ALOT longer than 2 hours, more like a few days with several hours of grinding daily. You cannot mount camo at all and it's nearly the same XP price as a tier 8, so I think there is absolutely nothing wrong.

13 hours ago, AirshipCanon said:

In November 2016, there was a bit of rage over a single ship: ARP Takao.

Why? Well, she's a Premium by all accounts- namely the Atago. And suddenly there was this here mission: just earn 110,000 Base EXP in the month (for an average player that was about 1-2 hour of games per day- hardly a huge requirment) and you'd be given ARP Takao, a clone of the Atago without the Premium Camo [or really any camos]

And then they gave her out AGAIN during Arpeggio Crescendo which had the same EXP requirement.

But boy, were some people mad.

I mean, the Atago cost 49.99. And here Wargaming was giving her out for free. It's like one of those Christmas presents to everyone who didn't already pay up. And hell, even if you did, you could get her twice, which now means you get x2 First Wins [just less Credits (oh well)].

Due to some other outrage by a similar move in a completely different F2P, I'm asking well, was that a scumbag move? Remember though, it was a free ship.

Edited by AyanoMidori

[O_O]
Members
5,003 posts
11,237 battles

ARP Myoko had the most grueling mission tasks.  I don't exactly remember all of the details, but there was 'kill x number of cruisers', 'set x number of fires', 'shoot down x number of planes', and 'kill 30 destroyers' (this turned out to be the one that twisted the teats of the players).  ARP Kongo was fairly easy.  I don't even remember the subsequent ARP ships (Hiei, Haruna, Kirishima, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro), or even ARP Takao, being necessarily difficult...just a bit of a grind.

A year or so later when it was announced the ARP contract was ending and the ships would no longer be available, WG produced another mission set to earn the whole collection.  That mission set was MUCH easier than the first one.  A lot of players got pissy about it because they felt they had to EARN the ships and the new missions were too easy.

Members
594 posts
4,958 battles

I have both ships (and all of the other ARP ships + duplicates of most of the captains thanks to earning them twice) and Atago is still superior to Takao because of her camo and credit earning bonuses. Takao is more what Atago would be in a tech tree form and it earns a fair bit less. The ships play identically when set up identically and it was a bit of a grind to earn Takao, so I feel it isn't all that unreasonable that they are so similar. People are always going to gripe about situations like this, and sometimes it might be justified (depends on circumstances). Takao is cool to have, but if you really want a premium ship with all the bells and whistles, Atago is the ship to get. Think of Takao as a cheaper, 'budget model' Atago, you get 95% of the gameplay abilities, but not the increased earning capability. 

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
6 minutes ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

I have both ships (and all of the other ARP ships + duplicates of most of the captains thanks to earning them twice) and Atago is still superior to Takao because of her camo and credit earning bonuses. Takao is more what Atago would be in a tech tree form and it earns a fair bit less. The ships play identically when set up identically and it was a bit of a grind to earn Takao, so I feel it isn't all that unreasonable that they are so similar. People are always going to gripe about situations like this, and sometimes it might be justified (depends on circumstances). Takao is cool to have, but if you really want a premium ship with all the bells and whistles, Atago is the ship to get. Think of Takao as a cheaper, 'budget model' Atago, you get 95% of the gameplay abilities, but not the increased earning capability. 

Well it is kind of a moot point now, since the ARP ships are no longer available as the contract for that ended. So unless you have the ARP Takao already, you can not get it anymore.

[-AGW-]
Members
765 posts
10,891 battles

With the right captain and concealment built Takao is actually plenty stealthy even without camo compared to most Atagos one meets. You are just missing the 3% (or is it 4%?) enemy dispersion benefit.

[ECOM]
Members
955 posts
13,175 battles
18 hours ago, pewpewpew42 said:

What set the Atago apart was credit earning. Takao doesn't have that (at least it doesn't feel like it).

And it can't mount camo. Which makes atago stronger. 

[PVE]
Members
2,878 posts
21,374 battles
5 hours ago, NashW8 said:

You are just missing the 3% (or is it 4%?) enemy dispersion benefit.

3% detection 4% dispersion.

[PVE]
Members
2,878 posts
21,374 battles
11 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

The only thing they don't have is camo

That's the nerfs I was referring to.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,540 posts
10,365 battles
10 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

I was curious, so I checked the game as I kept the Kongo and all the ARP Kongo clones. Without a captain, they all have a 54.5 second 180 degree turret traverse. When I moved the ARP Kongo captain between them, she has EM, the turret traverse went down to 45 seconds due to EM. But other than EM, they are the same gun wise as far as I can tell.

Maybe they changed that. I remember having a really small buff in turret traverse but it was probably just a false impression 

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
16 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Maybe they changed that. I remember having a really small buff in turret traverse but it was probably just a false impression 

WG may have changed it, I would guess when they let ARP captains be IJN captains. I mean it's not like they don't change ship values every patch or two. :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
569 posts
1,461 battles
34 minutes ago, SparvieroVV said:

Someone feeling salty?

The question does hold some merit on player opinions although its very late to the discussion.

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,245 battles

Is there something about to happen with the new HSF sale that dovetails with the ARP stuff?

i don’t really care accept for some reason I kind of want the isoruku camo capable of going on every ship. Then WG can give us Dr. Sado camos. You haven’t watched Space Battleship Yamato unless you’ve seen it in the original Italian. :cap_like:

MV5BYmRiMmQ0MDUtMzYwMy00Y2I4LTljMjAtMjNh

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
34 minutes ago, SparvieroVV said:

Is there something about to happen with the new HSF sale that dovetails with the ARP stuff?

i don’t really care accept for some reason I kind of want the isoruku camo capable of going on every ship. Then WG can give us Dr. Sado camos. You haven’t watched Space Battleship Yamato unless you’ve seen it in the original Italian. :cap_like:

MV5BYmRiMmQ0MDUtMzYwMy00Y2I4LTljMjAtMjNh

I remember Star Blazers (what it was called here in America when it was dubbed into English) as it was the first episodic cartoon I had ever seen. I still love the title sequence song.

Spoiler

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,163 posts
17,538 battles

Atago was one of the first two Premium Ships I bought.  It was her and Atlanta.  So I had Atago long before the ARP event came around and I had no problem with ARP Takao being handed out.  Happy for people to have such a cool CA.  A big setback for her is that she can't equip camo, and in the game where IJN Cruisers are leveraging every bit of their stealth, Atago is stealthy a.f. and ARP Takao isn't quite there.

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,765 battles

As an owner of the atago, there is literally nothing wrong with what they did. They removed the ability to wear camo on the takao and that is actually a pretty big deal even htough it doesn't seem like it at first glance. 

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,765 battles
16 hours ago, SluggerJackson said:

Atago/Takao are horrible.  Why does it matter?

Well, if you're god awful in a ship I'm sure you may think so, however public opinion and performance proves you wrong so uh, your opinion is wrong. 

[WOLF3]
Members
19,163 posts
17,538 battles
1 hour ago, Raptor_alcor said:

As an owner of the atago, there is literally nothing wrong with what they did. They removed the ability to wear camo on the takao and that is actually a pretty big deal even htough it doesn't seem like it at first glance. 

Not to mention some of that camo out there can have a very significant bonus attached to it.

+ Cmdr XP

+ XP

+ Free XP

+ Credits earned

Etc.

None of that, not even the basic camo can be used on ARP ships.  That's a significant drawback that make sit fair enough for those that bought Atago.  Even an ARP Kongo doesn't get the full benefits of a normal Tech Tree Kongo.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[5BS]
Members
6,702 posts

It was no more scummy than adding a tech tree QE with the Warspite ingame, or the Bismarck with Tirpitz in game, or any other time.

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,245 battles
9 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

I remember Star Blazers (what it was called here in America when it was dubbed into English) as it was the first episodic cartoon I had ever seen. I still love the title sequence song.

Hide contents

Best song ever. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
11 minutes ago, SparvieroVV said:

Best song ever. 

Oh yeah, just thinking about the show can get the music part of my mind to replay the theme in my head. :)

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,302 posts
7,554 battles
21 hours ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

I just remember doing the mission for the Takao, and beating my head on the wall over it....FINALLY getting it.....and hardly ever play it, LOL... :Smile_bajan2:

Right there with you. Unlocked all of the Arp ships and only occasionally play Arp Kongou or Hiei because I liked the characters. I don’t think I’ve played a single game in Takao.