You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AirshipCanon

For those that remember: The Takao Panic

Scumbag Present?   

116 members have voted

1. 1. Was it exactly a scum move to give away the Takao?

• Yes, people paid a pretty penny for the Atago, and it's not right that the same ship was given away for free.
    • No, it was a free ship.

52 comments in this topic

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,192 battles

In November 2016, there was a bit of rage over a single ship: ARP Takao.

Why? Well, she's a Premium by all accounts- namely the Atago. And suddenly there was this here mission: just earn 110,000 Base EXP in the month (for an average player that was about 1-2 hour of games per day- hardly a huge requirment) and you'd be given ARP Takao, a clone of the Atago without the Premium Camo [or really any camos]

And then they gave her out AGAIN during Arpeggio Crescendo which had the same EXP requirement.

But boy, were some people mad.

I mean, the Atago cost 49.99. And here Wargaming was giving her out for free. It's like one of those Christmas presents to everyone who didn't already pay up. And hell, even if you did, you could get her twice, which now means you get x2 First Wins [just less Credits (oh well)].

Due to some other outrage by a similar move in a completely different F2P, I'm asking well, was that a scumbag move? Remember though, it was a free ship.

[SF-A]
Members
3,138 posts
6,792 battles

What set the Atago apart was credit earning. Takao doesn't have that (at least it doesn't feel like it).

Members
3,778 posts
4,095 battles

Depends on the person. I think not because its a ship that can't use camo, couldn't train IJN captains and seems to be a one time thing that may not come back (Maybe). It also got beef for being non-historical looking or being too anime. The Atago has already been around for awhile and if anything gave it more attention in the shop. So if anyone didn't like the look of the Takao beforehand, before the disable function was added, they still had a reason to buy the Atago over earning the Takao. For all its flaws though its still a nice ship. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,992 posts
3,895 battles

The only people I remember being upset that someone else could earn ARP Takao were entitled children whining that someone else could get the same toy-- and the usual hyperbolic fire-breathing anime hate-rage.

The actually reasonable adult human beings just went "Cool, another free ship" or "Anime content I don't care for, so I'll disable it".

The folks who had a problem with it weren't usually worth interacting with.

Edited by AraAragami
  • Cool 9

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,501 battles

The Tako lacks the earning bonus and the camo spotting and dispersion reduction.

[5D]
Members
2,920 posts
18,078 battles

Well they gave away Graf Spee and Duke of York at the same time those were basically in the shop through campaigns and not a peep from anyone so let past history be in the past.

• Cool 1

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

As the others have said, the Takao isn't really the same as the premium Atago.  The Atago still has benefits above and beyond the ARP boat and it earns better.  It's a bit of a false dichotomy.

In any case, I don't see why anybody would be more upset about this than the ability to get a free Duke of York or Katori when other people paid money for theirs.

[NAUT]
Beta Testers
973 posts
7,691 battles

No, the Takao was cartoonishly bad looking ship that was just a massively nerfed Atago (in the credit earning area). And at the time at least, it would not train Japanese captains negating the whole reason you'd buy an Atago in the first place.

[PVE]
Members
16,194 posts
10,731 battles
26 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

The only people I remember being upset that someone else could earn ARP Takao were entitled children whining that someone else could get the same toy-- and the usual hyperbolic fire-breathing anime hate-rage.

The actually reasonable adult human beings just went "Cool, another free ship" or "Anime content I don't care for, so I'll disable it".

The folks who had a problem with it weren't usually worth interacting with.

Oh yeah. I was fairly new and remember all the people upset at the last ARP missions before the contract ended. I was able to play hard with Arizona and Warspite for a month and got all of the ARP ships with like a day left to go. They languished in my port until last summer when the ARP captains could be put on IJN tech tree ships. So far, I have moved ARP Kongo and ARP Myoko to their tech tree equivalents, put the ARP Bear into Hosho and planned out where all of the other ARP captains are going for the future. I was very happy with the ARP ships even though I can not understand the captains at all. :)

[WOLFB]
Members
2,923 posts
12,217 battles

Atago beat Takao on 2 major point : 

-Credit maker and commander training.

-Concealment.

If Takao was a better version of Atago, I would understand, but it's not the case

Members
3,778 posts
4,095 battles

Come to think of it, what was the general opinion of the Kamikaze R when it's event was first announced? 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,992 posts
3,895 battles
Just now, Yoshiblue said:

Come to think of it, what was the general opinion of the Kamikaze R when it's event was first announced? 

That it was a nerfed Minekaze. 1 knot slower, worse AA.

Now, since Minekaze has been nerfed, Kamikaze R runs the gamut from "Good" to "Delete it it's so overpowered". Because an IJN destroyer that's actually good at something can't be tolerated.

• Funny 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,812 posts
18,475 battles

I think there was more outrage in that the first pass to earn the ships was a lot harder then the one month marathon to earn them all.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
3,506 posts
21,653 battles

Bad comparison in my opinion for obviously already stated reasons.

ARPs are only premium in name w/zero benefits (& actual nerfs) in comparison to any ship they are based off of. They are only there for fans of the anime...others can use them of course but there's never been any benefit to them at all.

[PVE]
Members
16,194 posts
10,731 battles
7 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

ARPs are only premium in name w/zero benefits (& actual nerfs) in comparison to any ship they are based off of. They are only there for fans of the anime...others can use them of course but there's never been any benefit to them at all.

Nine more ships to get first win bonuses for captain training.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,284 posts
9,639 battles

Takao is only a premium in the way that it can train IJN captains without the penalty of changing ships, same with all the other ARP ships, other than that the ARPs arent REALLY premiums

Edited by tcbaker777

[PVE]
Members
3,506 posts
21,653 battles
31 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Nine more ships to get first win bonuses for captain training

Don't you have to train captains to them? Or did they change that to where you can train IJN captains on them w/out having to train them to the ship? I know you have to train their captains to other ships if you wanna transfer them.

[CMFRT]
Modder, In AlfaTesters
791 posts
2,022 battles

Honestly Im more sad that I missed the rest of the Myoko sisters and Takao...

[NMKJT]
Members
3,812 posts
3 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Don't you have to train captains to them? Or did they change that to where you can train IJN captains on them w/out having to train them to the ship? I know you have to train their captains to other ships if you wanna transfer them.

They changed so that IJN captains can transfer to them with no penalties. You can also transfer the ARP commanders and assign them to IJN ships.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,501 battles
Just now, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

They changed so that IJN captains can transfer to them with no penalties. You can also transfer the ARP commanders and assign them to IJN ships.

Which means lots of free 10 pointers.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,923 posts
12,217 battles
7 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

They are not nerfed ship. Actually if you look closely, you'll see ARP Kongou have a really small (and I do mean small) turret traverse advantage compared to Kongou. The only thing they don't have is camo (and the premium bonuses).

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

The various WG branches do this all of the time. Console tanks gives away tanks or reskins of the same tank that they charged $80+ for 8-12 months prior. It really pisses that community off like you wouldn't believe. I tend to take it in stride. 

Beta Testers
185 posts
6,478 battles

I own the Atago. The premium credit earning piece is what is important to me so good on this end. It is a ship that has been power creeped anyway to some extent so eh.

[PVE]
Members
16,194 posts
10,731 battles
2 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

They are not nerfed ship. Actually if you look closely, you'll see ARP Kongou have a really small (and I do mean small) turret traverse advantage compared to Kongou. The only thing they don't have is camo (and the premium bonuses).

I was curious, so I checked the game as I kept the Kongo and all the ARP Kongo clones. Without a captain, they all have a 54.5 second 180 degree turret traverse. When I moved the ARP Kongo captain between them, she has EM, the turret traverse went down to 45 seconds due to EM. But other than EM, they are the same gun wise as far as I can tell.