You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NeoRussia

To: Sniping Tirpitz players

26 comments in this topic

[MIA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,785 posts
8,496 battles

fe864cf246.jpg

a common sighting of a Tirpitz using his aircraft carrier as cover

There is no BB that I see more in the backline behind the entire team than the Tirpitz. You know who you are. I know some of your names. I know that you play ranked as well as random battles and cause even more suffering for teammates there. I have 3 questions for you.

1. Why do you do it?

2. Why did you buy the ship if you know that it is not a good long range sniper?

3. Do you enjoy making your team angry at you?

Members
1,271 posts
3,615 battles

*plays 50 battles*

*is having fun and getting better*

*notices famous and cool looking high tier ship in premium shop with a high player opinion*

*things start going downhill*

• Cool 3

[-THOR]
Members
173 posts
2,326 battles
Just now, warpath_33 said:

*plays 50 battles*

*is having fun and getting better*

*notices famous and cool looking high tier ship in premium shop with a high player opinion*

*things start going downhill*

This.  If you're playing a non-premium T8, chances are you've played several hundred battles to be able to acquire it and have learned a thing or two about the game.  If you buy a premium though, there's nothing stopping you from joining the higher tiers right away which can lead to the problems you describe. 

[MIA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,785 posts
8,496 battles
2 minutes ago, prevans said:

This.  If you're playing a non-premium T8, chances are you've played several hundred battles to be able to acquire it and have learned a thing or two about the game.  If you buy a premium though, there's nothing stopping you from joining the higher tiers right away which can lead to the problems you describe. 

True. However, some of the players that I've looked up including the one in the screenshot have more than a thousand battles, and more than a hundred in their Tirpitz. The ones that I've seen in ranked had even more.

[PVE]
Members
381 posts
7,862 battles
13 minutes ago, NeoRussia said:

If/when the CV moves up do they move up as well? The poor sods could simply have a broken W key, a fairly common keyboard failure mode (although usually it affects the A and D keys.

Members
1,271 posts
3,615 battles
1 minute ago, NeoRussia said:

True. However, some of the players that I've looked up including the one in the screenshot have more than a thousand battles, and more than a hundred in their Tirpitz. The ones that I've seen in ranked had even more.

In that case...

*player has Tirpitz*

*reads up on Tirpitz Wikipedia page*

*notices that Tirpitz was a "fleet in being"*

*deduces that if he simply exists the enemy team will be too scared to advance*

*10/10 historical*

[-THOR]
Members
173 posts
2,326 battles
Just now, NeoRussia said:

And that's a fair point.  There are lots of bad players who just never get good.  Although I find the quality of play generally improves at higher tiers, you still see occasional incompetence from T10 ships whose captains should know better.  It looks like you've found just such an example. 

I find though, it is with the higher tier premiums that you see the complete bone-headed nonsense that comes from a lack of skill far more than in their non-premium counterparts.  The most common example is the Atagos that charge head-long into the cap trying to use their torps (cause 10km range is amazing compared to what I've been able to get on my T3 destroyer!) and get deleted a couple of minutes into the round.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,225 posts
30 minutes ago, NeoRussia said:

There is no BB that I see more in the backline behind the entire team than the Tirpitz. You know who you are. I know some of your names. I know that you play ranked as well as random battles and cause even more suffering for teammates there. I have 3 questions for you.

1. Why do you do it?

2. Why did you buy the ship if you know that it is not a good long range sniper?

Do this.

Go to Warships.today look at all time players, then sort by battles.....:Smile_amazed:

kOzdht1.png

This is who the game is, the question that you should be asking is....Why do I think this is a competitive game...:Smile_teethhappy:

Average age in the game is over 40....

Edited by awiggin

[5D]
Members
2,921 posts
18,080 battles

It's becoming more and more common to see players in German BBs sitting in the back where the dispersion renders them totally ineffective.

I had numerous players tell me that I should play xyz German BB first before commenting on how they play it. Then tell them I have several and up close with secondaries blazing is the most effective play style since the dispersion isn't an issue at 12 km or less.

Then I'm told I have no clue what I'm talking about because Tirpitz, etc is an excellent sniper and the final XP earned will show it...lol.

[NAUT]
Beta Testers
974 posts
7,699 battles

1: Occasionally out of necessity.

2: I bought it day one. I had no idea. But it doesn't matter, I've loved it every day since then :P 

3: Sometimes....  Occasionally triggering an elitist player can provide great entertainment for both sides!

PS: I try to avoid long range sniping in case that wasn't clear. But all above are true!

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, NeoRussia said:

fe864cf246.jpg

1. Why do you do it?

the one who shall remain unnamed has been doing this to keep his win rate up and damage at around 58k. Snipe the first half then go in for the kill steals of half dead ships. and he thinks he is one of the best and not afraid to call out those with less than great stats and also wishes WG would ban all the bad players

[PVE]
Members
3,509 posts
21,653 battles

Why do you do it?

Maybe...just maybe...he thinks his AA is actually good (better than his T3 ship which was his highest tier before he purchased the Dirp) & he's trying to help cover the CV against a CV on CV snipe (Sarcasm for those that didn't get that).

But then again it is a T10 match & it's better than the Dirps that charge forward thinking they can get to & torp that T10 Kurfurst right at the beginning & get quickly annihilated in such matches usually (& usually by the CV that knows that as far as BBs are concerned the Dirps AA sucks in comparison).

Beta Testers
1,969 posts
10,774 battles

Sometimes I think a lot of BB players misunderstand what solo warrior achievement is, and try to be the last survivor.

• Funny 2

Alpha Tester
3,483 posts
1,556 battles

Honestly I have never understood any of this myself.  There is no penalty if you die so why be afraid of dying.   I was goofing around on the Yamato on the PTS just this weekend.   I started by pushing with the team heading for B and at about 15-18 km of course we all started taking hits.  Immediately the 4 other BBs with me shy away and start back peddling away from the cap as fast as they can.  I on the other hand said, "What the Hell it is the PTS server after all" and decided to bear on in to B and contest it against 2 enemy BBs and a Cruiser.  Took out one enemy BB at around 13 km, then the cruiser gave me broadside and I deleted him at about 8km.  Cruiser managed to hit me with a single torp, enemy CV managed a full drop on me taking me down to about 1/4 life and I had a near full health Conqueror bearing down on me at under 8 km.  Managed to pop him in the sweet spot under the front guns for a double Cit, took one in return.  Hit him again for like 23k damage and brought him down to 1/4 at about 4 km distance. His next Salvo took me out.  Probably played maybe 5 mins total in the game.  172k damage done, 3 kills.  Match went on for about another 10 mins with the two teams sniping back and forth and we finally won a victor.  I look at the end of game screens and I can't help but start laughing.  5 minutes of being aggressive and brawling it out in a ship that isn't exactly know for its ability to brawl got me 2nd place on my team.

I just don't understand why the majority of player don't get it.  You can't play passively if you want to win.  You can't play passively if you want great stats.  You just can't play passively period.  You don't have to yolo in but if you go as a team and push into the enemy together and try to fire at the same targets as much as possible, your going to win more often than not and even if you don't last more than 5 minutes, your still going to probably have a much better performing game than sitting back at 15-20km sniping ever will get you.   Oh and for the love of god, if your a BB quit bailing on your teammates just because you take a few hits because it is your job to share armor.  Start taking too much fire, drop you speed or angle away a bit and let another teammate take your place at the front and keep cycling in and out but alway keep moving forward and being aggressive. That is what it takes to have good matches and win.   

• Cool 1

[FAILD]
[FAILD]
Beta Testers
33 posts
3,622 battles

Mine is up front in the 12 to 6 km range because that's where the ship does it's best work. SEcondaries open up the torpedoes are useful and since the main guns are so broken that's the best range to get most shells on target.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

fe864cf246.jpg

1. Why do you do it?

1)Because the ship plays best as a sniper. The ships has(for now Massacusetts and Rich are going to change this) the best dispersion at it's tier, nm the T7's. It even has a damm spotting plane! What other uses are that plane for? The ship is also TERRIBLE at brawling, especially when the MM's bad. 

2)I did not know the ship was a sniper when I bought it. I bought it for the historical reasons. I generally took everyone's word for it that the ship was a brawler and up to that point, I thought this was reasonable seeing the Nassau and Kaiser. It didn't take me long to realize though this is a ship that is far easier to play as a sniper than as a brawler. Clearly the fact you're complaining about multiple people means I'm not the only one to see it this way.

3)I'd somehow think my teams would be more angry at me if I just charged right into battle and got blown up in like 2 minutes. Don't get me wrong when facing the Yamato guns that could still happen even when sniping but I typically last much longer and cause more damage than I did when I started out following the general advice. The ship can succeed brawling in limited aspects and OCCASIONALLY you can have a great game brawling, but more often than not it just leads to frustration and this is heavily dependent on matchmaking. This ship does not have good armor and it's 800 feet long pretty easy to light up like a Christmas tree. 

Edited by Aristotle83

[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,332 posts
12,692 battles
6 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

I just don't understand why the majority of player don't get it

I love it when I played in my Tirpitz and see a full broadside yammie, busy dueling with other bb, 2 cit and I am happy. and love it when I catch them off guard as well ............

However, I am also don't understand why lately, most of other Derpitz I played with only shoot HE and never torp at 3 km range .......... never knew the answer!

[S0L0]
Members
293 posts
6,953 battles
6 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Figure this one out.....:Smile_amazed:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.65e96c1949860b2098aadfec311b406b.png

Yikes, is that one player? Even with recent stats?

That will always confuse me, players that don't improve and not even near average, I would had thought the basic thinking process of "that didn't go well, I can execute/ditch/improve X next time" would get a player to at least below average... That's what happened to me anyway.