You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

Why in the world?

30 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Members
5,492 posts
12,323 battles

So I see a lot of comments in game and on the forums similar to this:

"Stats don't matter!"

"I just play for fun!"

"Who cares? It's just a game" 

So I am genuinely curious, if that is what a player thinks, why play random? Why not just go and play coop? What is the allure to playing random if some form of those above statements are your view? 

[REVY]
Members
6,167 posts
5,164 battles
Just now, Ducky_shot said:

"Stats don't matter!"

"I just play for fun!"

So I am genuinely curious, if that is what a player thinks, why play random? Why not just go and play coop? What is the allure to playing random if some form of those above statements are your view? 

The rewards from co-op are drastically less.  Subsistence level almost.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,029 posts
3,895 battles

I would venture because Random isn't Ranked or Clan Wars. These are the Serious Mode.

Random is equated to Normal in League of Legends. The everyman game mode for casuals. Ranked and Clan Wars are the competitive modes.

Just a thought, anyway.

[BEARS]
Members
256 posts
8,806 battles
1 minute ago, Ducky_shot said:

"Stats don't matter!"

"I just play for fun!"

co-op sucks for xp.

Id rather play one game and get 2100 xp than play 7 games for 300 xp each.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Random is the game mode designed for all players. Coop is designed as an introduction. Ranked is for those who live for a Heart Attack and or Stroke. Clan Battles are for those who like a small equal battle to attempt to show off the "Skills" They think they have achieved.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Members
2,229 posts
11,345 battles
11 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

I would venture because Random isn't Ranked or Clan Wars. These are the Serious Mode.

Random is equated to Normal in League of Legends. The everyman game mode for casuals. Ranked and Clan Wars are the competitive modes.

Just a thought, anyway.

Ranked and Clan Wars are temporary modes.  Ranked doesn't even rank by skill.  It would require a larger gap in star reward and penalty distribution to properly separate the players by skill.

Random and co-op are the only two full-time modes (unless you want to include training room).  Co-op rewards are too small for players who want to experience the higher tiers.

Ideally, I wish they'd raise the rewards in co-op to match ranked and in exchange, create a separate port so that you cannot bring ships from random into co-op and vice versa.  These changes should make more of the tomatoes who just like to see explosions stick to co-op.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
1,410 posts
6,669 battles
7 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Random is the game mode designed for all players. Coop is designed as an introduction. Ranked is for those who live for a Heart Attack and or Stroke. Clan Battles are for those who like a small equal battle to attempt to show off the "Skills" They think they have achieved.

Can I borrow that? :cap_like:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,327 posts

1)  CV ops:  The bots never manual strafe or drop.  You can practice without being beaten.

2)  Games are short..   It's very handy if you are waiting on clan-mates in clan battles to swap out and just want to keep in practice with a similar ship.

3)  Games aren't as stressful.  Bots give you a break every now and then if you are struggling with a new ship.

4)  Teams are small

5)  Folks are not as competitive -- unless there are 2 ship-kill missions using the wakatake or the St Loius (anniversary), so usually not arses.

6)  Better because I said so.  Nya Nya Nya...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,828 posts
12,206 battles
11 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

"Stats don't matter!"

"I just play for fun!"

"Stats don't matter!" Stats don't matter but they do at the same time. The ideal is for them to improve constantly which is why overall stats don't matter but the more recent 30 - 90 day stats do.

"I just play for fun!" If you are not playing to have fun you have turned the game into a job. Playing for fun doesn't mean you like losing only that the main reason you are playing is for enjoyment. A match were both team play really well can be enjoyed even by the losers because they put their all into it.

"Who cares? It's just a game" Well, it is a game. Some people get so wound up that they forget the reason we play games is for enjoyment.

"So I am genuinely curious" For the challenge of the ship on the other end being handled by an intelligent, we hope, being.

• Cool 3

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,029 posts
3,895 battles
7 minutes ago, VGLance said:

Ranked and Clan Wars are temporary modes.  Ranked doesn't even rank by skill.  It would require a larger gap in star reward and penalty distribution to properly separate the players by skill.

Random and co-op are the only two full-time modes (unless you want to include training room).  Co-op rewards are too small for players who want to experience the higher tiers.

Ideally, I wish they'd raise the rewards in co-op to match ranked and in exchange, create a separate port so that you cannot bring ships from random into co-op and vice versa.  These changes should make more of the tomatoes who just like to see explosions stick to co-op.

I'm not justifying it, I'm just pointing out how the average gamer is going to perceive the different game modes.

Random is unranked, casual mode. Co-op is "vs bots", which in literally every other online team game has a heavy stigma attached to it. You will see this stigma in action even here in WoWS, despite people telling "casuals" to "go back to co-op". Why, so you can make fun of me for playing vs bots? At least they're trying PVP.

Ranked exists and has the same name as other games' competitive modes. Clan Wars is obviously a clan-oriented take on Ranked.

How it actually works is irrelevant, this is how it is perceived by players.

Also separating players like that has a much higher chance of killing the game than removing team damage or skill based matchmaking ever could.

Edited by AraAragami

Beta Testers
206 posts
10,994 battles
1 minute ago, Ducky_shot said:

If CO-OP would give the same rewards as random I would play it.

If all "Missions" would be CO-OP I would play it.

So you have to put up with players that like to "PLAY" games.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,327 posts

I think Scenario mode is the future...

Let's figure

1)  You choose the map.

2)  You can choose your own team if you are able.

3)  You choose the right equipment for the job (and not be surprised with a 4 CV mission the moment you pick Hydro)

4)  No teamkill

5) No Detonations

6)  MORE CREDITS/XP

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,928 posts
12,260 battles

I like playing high tier ship, Akizuki, Henri, Zao...They are all fun to play. CO OP doesn't give reward past T6. 

Members
4,729 posts
8,263 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

"Stats don't matter!" Stats don't matter but they do at the same time. The ideal is for them to improve constantly which is why overall stats don't matter but the more recent 30 - 90 day stats do.

"I just play for fun!" If you are not playing to have fun you have turned the game into a job. Playing for fun doesn't mean you like losing only that the main reason you are playing is for enjoyment. A match were both team play really well can be enjoyed even by the losers because they put their all into it.

"Who cares? It's just a game" Well, it is a game. Some people get so wound up that they forget the reason we play games is for enjoyment.

"So I am genuinely curious" For the challenge of the ship on the other end being handled by an intelligent, we hope, being.

"I just play for fun" does not necessarily mean a player does not also try and do their best.  I play for fun but I always try my best. No one is going to say "I play to not have any fun". That would make no sense. I recall in WoT if a player said "I play for fun" but did not add "but I play to win also" that guy would just get trolled and savaged. Many take things deadly serious over there to the point of obsession. "It's not about fun it's about my sacred stats and you are messing my tanking life up you play for fun jerk". Many who have come from there know this. 

Beta Testers
633 posts
4,580 battles

People like myself who dont judge a person based on their stats, view stats as a sum of the players current gameplay, not as a measure of the person, and not of the potential of the player. My stats look horrible, and i know the reasons why they are bad, however i also know that i can perform at a level that does not reflect my stats, (namely by not charging in)

If a player has bad stats but has a desire to improve at the game  i for one would have no problem helping them

[HUNGS]
Members
1,713 posts
3,603 battles

I play for fun, I also happen to be pretty ok at this game which makes it more fun for me. I have what ships I want and I play those ships for fun. I don't really enjoy grinding past the ship I want or getting into rank

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,889 posts
5,527 battles

Well considering I play for fun...  Co-Op is fun once in awhile, but it's only so much fun shooting at a bot.  Random matches and trying to outwit your opponents tactics, angling and skills is much more fun.  And frustrating lol

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,368 posts
21,674 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

"Stats don't matter!"

"I just play for fun!"

I play almost all PvE games. The only time I go into PvP is to farm rewards or to complete missions/campaigns. IMHO it is just a game, just enjoy playing ships and blasting bots. I don't care about stats or the like and have fun in co-op. PvP is too much like work, I hate it, it isn't fun, and the chat is pretty nasty. Granted that is probably because instead of just 8 other players there are 23 others so the odds are you will run into a moron, not that PvP people are nastier. I must admit I used to like ranked, but not so much any more. 

BTW when I play random battles, I stay mission focused. If I need to kill DDs, I ignore everything else and look for DDs. I try to keep my time in PvP at a minimum, get in, get out, and go back to having fun in co-op. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[WOLF7]
Members
12,225 posts
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

"Stats don't matter!"

"I just play for fun!"

It's a free to play game with no restrictions, why would you expect people not to try and play the more lucrative rewards?

On top of which, WG continues to try to force co-op players into random with random/ranked events. 

This isn't a competitive game for the vast majority of players, all the evidence points to a bunch of players who don't want to learn the game, they simply want to sail ships and shoot stuff.

The data is there for everyone to see, and the players are on display daily....so expecting players to play as you want them too really isn't an option when 90% of them never come the the forums..:Smile_teethhappy:

Even better, go to warships.today and do the 2 week player numbers and sort by battles....:Smile_amazed:

kOzdht1.png

Edited by awiggin

[KRAB]
Members
863 posts
7,295 battles

Co-Op players enjoy winning, but can't do it against human opponents. 

Random battles are the truest expression of skill via sample size - with all other factors randomized, only your personal ability affects your stats.

Ranked and CW are clusterfucks - 7v7 games on maps designed for 12v12, with the associated higher variance (due to smaller team sizes) which makes various forms of RNG even more apparent. Until they rework ranked and CW, random battles will always (and likely always will anyways) be the primary mode of play for competitive (and most casual) players.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,705 posts
17,187 battles
2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Why not just go and play coop?

MY (and only my) reasons for not playing co-op regardless of not caring at all about stats.

1. The bots are teamkilling fools.

2. At lower tiers the bots are dumb, at higher tiers they are yolo kings.

3. You cannot possibly co-operate with a bot.

Seriously, @Ducky_shot, the game is just way different in co-op.

Members
4,141 posts
15,502 battles
2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

"Stats don't matter!"

"I just play for fun!"

Stats don't matter... to me.

I play WoWs for fun. Which is why stats don't matter to me.

WoWs is just a game, and games are played by most folks for entertainment, fun.

I like playing randoms because player vs player is more challenging, funner, than whacking bots. I don't care for ranked because of the endless whining and salt. Folks take it too seriously.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ANKER]
[ANKER]
Beta Testers
37 posts
7,665 battles

I will never understand the attitude of people who play poorly and don't care about it. There's two main things that really puzzle me about that attitude:

1) You're playing a team game. How you play impacts other people. If you want to play something terribly, there's an infinite number of single player games to play, or there is co-op. Or do you just not care at all about anyone besides yourself? If so, how does that make you different than someone calling you vile names in chat, except you're quieter about it? Are you deliberately trolling by screwing over 11 other people because you feel like playing something you're awful at and have no interest in improving, or are you just being an [edited]?

2) Isn't winning more fun than losing? Maybe it's just because I'm old or strange or something, but I have more fun when I win a game than lose it. If I play better, I am more likely to win the game. Therefore, if I play better, I am more likely to have more fun than if I play like poop. I may still be mostly a potato, but I at least try and improve so that I win more.

• Cool 2

Members
23,718 posts
5,978 battles

Fun is the goal for me. If I'm doing reasonably well on a personal level, I have fun. Winning just makes it more fun, but can't replace decent gameplay.

As an extreme, I would rather fail to carry and lose, than shoot a few times and win.

I dislike PvE. Not because of the rewards, (I would still play PvP if things are reversed) but because I find it more fun to play against other unpredictable humans.

As far as improving, other than getting better at high tiers, which I'm relatively new to, meh. I'm good enough to have fun almost all the time.