Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
xTrowax

matchmaking and bans

71 comments in this topic

[SCREW]
Members
187 posts
8,832 battles

OK, lets start off with the easy one. matchmaker sucks [edited]. between the 2 tier separation and the sheer number of worthless players, it's almost painful to play this game sometimes. First off, there is no longer a need for a 2 tier allowance with mm now that we have so many ships in game. It just shouldn't happen. At the most there should be 1 tier difference between players. Frankly, I would say matches of all the same tier are perfectly viable now. Putting t7 ships against t9 ships is the best way to ensure that the low tier players have a bad time, especially considering the extreme power difference between them, not to mention the difference in firing range and detectibility. In addition, carriers are way out of whack. they either dominate a match or are utterly useless in it, and mm also has a big hand in this as well. To even things out for them, I would suggest matching them based on the level of the aircraft they carry, rather than the ship itself, and modify it so that everything up to t9 is always mid tier. Finally, players should be matched in teams based on their game stats. For instance, a player that has played all of 5 games, and went and bought a tirpitz or alabama, should NOT be put in a game that has experienced players with thousands of games played and high win-loss and ships destroyed ratios. They need to be in a match with other equally unskilled players where they won't be a burden or a liability to their team. And the same formula should follow for all players. I'm not saying exact same stats, but something at least close to it. 

On to bans. This includes game bans and chat bans. Frankly, banning people from chat for cussing out their team is [edited]. If the team is useless, or if someone is being stupid, they should be told as much. Allowing players to complain about they're being called out just allows more stupid players to continue being stupid, and that ruins the game for everyone who is actually trying. Start banning the people who actually deserve it. The players who consistently damage teammates, the ones who consistently take 5-10 minutes to load into the game, and the ones who are always at the bottom of the score board. These are the players who should eventually be banned form the game itself. I would say allow a trial period where they are matched only with similar players, and if the behavior continues, their account is deleted and their IP restricted for an amount of time before they are allowed to try again. Stop making the rest of us deal with these idiotic people who have no real interest in the game and are just wasting our time.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 14
  • Angry 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
3 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

OK, lets start off with the easy one. matchmaker sucks [edited]. between the 2 tier separation and the sheer number of worthless players, it's almost painful to play this game sometimes. First off, there is no longer a need for a 2 tier allowance with mm now that we have so many ships in game. It just shouldn't happen. At the most there should be 1 tier difference between players. Frankly, I would say matches of all the same tier are perfectly viable now. Putting t7 ships against t9 ships is the best way to ensure that the low tier players have a bad time, especially considering the extreme power difference between them, not to mention the difference in firing range and detectibility. In addition, carriers are way out of whack. they either dominate a match or are utterly useless in it, and mm also has a big hand in this as well. To even things out for them, I would suggest matching them based on the level of the aircraft they carry, rather than the ship itself, and modify it so that everything up to t9 is always mid tier. Finally, players should be matched in teams based on their game stats. For instance, a player that has played all of 5 games, and went and bought a tirpitz or alabama, should NOT be put in a game that has experienced players with thousands of games played and high win-loss and ships destroyed ratios. They need to be in a match with other equally unskilled players where they won't be a burden or a liability to their team. And the same formula should follow for all players. I'm not saying exact same stats, but something at least close to it. 

On to bans. This includes game bans and chat bans. Frankly, banning people from chat for cussing out their team is [edited]. If the team is useless, or if someone is being stupid, they should be told as much. Allowing players to complain about they're being called out just allows more stupid players to continue being stupid, and that ruins the game for everyone who is actually trying. Start banning the people who actually deserve it. The players who consistently damage teammates, the ones who consistently take 5-10 minutes to load into the game, and the ones who are always at the bottom of the score board. These are the players who should eventually be banned form the game itself. I would say allow a trial period where they are matched only with similar players, and if the behavior continues, their account is deleted and their IP restricted for an amount of time before they are allowed to try again. Stop making the rest of us deal with these idiotic people who have no real interest in the game and are just wasting our time.

You are dreaming. The MM will never change in the ways you suggest.

In what world makes you the Judge of others? This is a FREE TO PLAY game you can also be FREE NOT TO PLAY. 

With your concerns the way you project them I suggest you use your FREE NOT TO PLAY.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,760 posts
7,287 battles
10 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

On to bans. This includes game bans and chat bans. Frankly, banning people from chat for cussing out their team is [edited]. If the team is useless, or if someone is being stupid, they should be told as much.

Just out respect for others and simply acting like an adult, cussing or berating others should have repercussions. There is a wrong way and a right way to try and help a team mate or suggest something. Throwing profanities is not the way to do it. Like the old saying goes "treat others the way you'd want to be treated." I'm sure any adult can appreciate it. This is a game, not a life and death struggle. Games are supposed to be fun.

• Cool 3

Members
21,186 posts
5,686 battles

Allowing players to complain about they're being called out just allows more stupid players to continue being stupid.....

I think your cause & effect connection is flawed. Stupid players are going to continue being stupid, regardless of whether or not they get called out. Calling out a player only helps the one doing the calling out, allowing them to blow off steam. It has no rehabilitative or corrective effect on the player being called out.

Thinking otherwise, or believing that anyone is fooled, now THAT'S stupid.

...and the ones who are always at the bottom of the score board.

Which will be all of us eventually, if you were to keep banning the worst players. Thus, a stupid idea.

Also stupid is continuing to play a game where you continually encounter "idiots" who "waste your time".

Finding something else to do that doesn't waste your leisure time would be a far more effective way to avoid frustration than lobbying for what you suggest.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

[H-W-C]
Members
1,268 posts
3,557 battles
1 minute ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Shall I sum this up?

e925175451caf23a6f7f3be5d207c6c83eb9cebd

About right.

Tl: DR

I don't like anyone who doesn't play exactly as I want them to and anyone who says otherwise is stupid. As well, I should be allowed to have a hissy fit at anyone who doesn't play exactly as I want them to without getting banned. Also ban people with bad internet or potatoes, because we all know Wargaming doesn't cater to potato computers.

[5D5]
Members
2,583 posts
15,793 battles
25 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

Let's start with MM, if you can't play more than one style with a particular ship then you are not worth your salt as a player. When bottom tier you alter which ships to focus on, when to push etc. Also the number of ships in game has nothing to do with whether there should be +/- 1 or  +/-2.

While I will be the first to agree that the reporting system can be abused most of what you wrote on chat bans is TOTALLY FREAKING STUPID!!!! The latter two examples of who should be banned from the game just indicate the level of intelligence of this post. In the business world you would fail before opening your doors with this myopic view. Additionally, TKers are already dealt with appropriately by the game engine now.

Grow up, please or uninstall!!

EDIT - The sad thing is that OP is a damage farming Bbaby. This explains the sense of entitlement.

Edited by 1SneakyDevil
  • Cool 2

Members
21,186 posts
5,686 battles
4 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Grow up, please or uninstall!!

No, he has as much right to play as everyone else. Of course, playing means you're obligated to put up with everyone else.

Members
5,201 posts
9,061 battles
28 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

The problem with this kinda of attitude is that it's hypocritical. Are you the best WoWs player? Unlikely.

You think you're entitled to berate others for playing poorly, but are you just going to sit there and take it while a better player tells you how badly you f***ed up? I doubt it. 

If you're an @$$ to others in chat, you get reported and probably chat banned. As you should. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT
  • Cool 5

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,148 posts
11,272 battles
33 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

Putting t7 ships against t9 ships is the best way to ensure that the low tier players have a bad time

play a t8 in a t10 game yet? and made lots of credits, capt XP, ship XP and freeXP due to killing a Yamato, burnt a few other t10/t9 and helping the team???

No ???? should try it, it very rewarding, I am very much over the moon if that happen to me

• Cool 1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,094 battles

Only MM for specific ships will get tweaked. There will never be "skill based MM". WG hasn't done it in WoT for almost a decade, they hell sure not going to do it now. it's just the model of the business. Unskilled players are simply here to pad numbers. 

Edited by NeutralState

[YORHA]
Members
3,921 posts
6,784 battles

When you get matchmaking like that just do what I do.

Ns9wS2D.gif

Works every time.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,538 posts
14,051 battles

WUS! Play the cards you're dealt. Quit whining like a baby. Good lord, WG deals you dirty, everyone else is stupid, your poor pitifulness...

Just please save everyone else your idiocy and uninstall. Its obvious you can't hang with the game...

Members
417 posts
5,505 battles

If you want to complain about your teammates, at least do so constructively.  Point out when they should have held a cap, or pushed instead of hanging back, etc.  Just saying things like "f*@king useless team" or "plz uninstall" are not helping anybody, including yourself.

[ADAPT]
Members
929 posts
14,715 battles

I play almost 10k battles, yet i feel like you. so.....i get chat ban today, that how i relieve myself.......tomorrow i should be better or another chatban incoming...

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,884 posts
10,476 battles
2 minutes ago, bandits86 said:

I play almost 10k battles, yet i feel like you. so.....i get chat ban today, that how i relieve myself.......tomorrow i should be better or another chatban incoming...

I have raged at people in chat quite a bit and have never ever gotten banned, how do you people manage to do this? 

Now, here is what I do to combat my rage (sometimes), find something good about your team or the enemy team and comment on that. 

I typically will tell the enemy that killed me something like this: "enemy dd, I hate you for that, very well played! ;)" you'd be surprised how many compliments that that gets you. 

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
10,070 battles
1 hour ago, xTrowax said:

You realize that an overwhelming segment of players who play this game are folks who fall into the "it's just a game" category (the card that only ever gets played when trying to justify poor behavior).  These include, but are not limited to:

• Old, nostalgic players who have some sort of historical connection to the ships and treat the game like a model train set (which is totally OK if they stick to co-op and the training room or even low-tier randoms but they don't)
  • Old players who have slower reflexes, poor vision or other limitations that keep them from fulfilling their 1/12 of their responsibility
  • Players with a pretty f--ked up level of selfishness that allows them to find nothing wrong with their unreliable connection and/or computer where they are unable to contribute in any meaningful way 
  • Those that have severe intellectual limitations that keep them from being successful in the real world so they escape to video games where they can avoid facing consequences that normally come from substandard performance
  • Those that have severe social awkwardness that keep them from successfully integrating with society so they escape to video games where they can continue to neglect their social skills by evading consequences that come from shirking responsibilities normally found in a team dynamic outside the game
  • Those who lack even a modest level of self-respect which allows them to be content with substandard performance

You will never change their minds or get them to do the honorable thing by self-regulating (sticking to co-op, training room or lower tiers) because they have no care or concern whatsoever about the fun of the 11 other people on the team.  Or the team goal for that matter.  They are only focused on their own fun and damn everyone else.  Speaks volumes about their character and all you can do is recognize that they are being punished enough already.  Every time they down vote you, just know that they aren't just fighting to support the lowest common denominator players, they are fighting to defend all the poor decisions they've made in life and are making today.

There is plenty of room among the different game modes and tiers for players of all different backgrounds and abilities to coexist within the game if they all exercised the self-discipline and moral compass to self-regulate by playing in the appropriate sandbox (noobs sticking to low tier until they learn the mechanics and can carry their weight, unicums not going to the lowest tiers to seal club, etc.).  You will realize quickly that these people, however, are suffering from a profound level of denial.  Whether it's Dunning-Kruger or just a complete blind spot on how their actions affect others, these people are unyielding and relentless in their belief that they are entitled to screw over everyone else's experience for their own personal pleasure.

If the game increased the penalties substantially for below average performance, the quality of play would improve at the high tiers.  Clan wars is evidence of that.  But you're dealing with a very small population of players who have the required self-respect (internal desire to produce quality in all that you do because it's your stamp on who you are), intellectual capability, and physical capability to play at that high level.  And without significant rewards provided exclusively to those that reflect that effort, it's not going to keep them motivated.  Every time the lowest common denominator players acquire the highest end-game content, it dilutes the intrinsic value and weakens the quality of the environment.

Just see how many people down vote this post and yours and you will see just how high a percentage of the player base are made of low quality people.

• Boring 3

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,887 posts
4,227 battles
2 hours ago, xTrowax said:

ZIglKPL.gif

9 minutes ago, VGLance said:

Just see how many people down vote this post and yours and you will see just how high a percentage of the player base are made of low quality people.

Funny. I seem to recall a certain historical tyrant making the same arguments about how "low quality people" should jus "self-regulate" and not get in the way of the "higher-quality people".... In fact, I recall a lot of them making this argument. And all of them have atrocities listed alongside their names.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
10,070 battles
8 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I have raged at people in chat quite a bit and have never ever gotten banned, how do you people manage to do this? 

Now, here is what I do to combat my rage (sometimes), find something good about your team or the enemy team and comment on that. 

I typically will tell the enemy that killed me something like this: "enemy dd, I hate you for that, very well played! ;)" you'd be surprised how many compliments that that gets you. 

You have a much higher chance of getting chat banned if you are still alive and kicking butt in the late game.  It makes them rage even more because producing results is a direct assault on their false narrative (their belief that even though they died in less than 5 minutes, you somehow are doing less than they did and are more to blame).  It gets even more compounded when they see the post battle report and see you at the top and them at the bottom.  That extra rage is what pushes them over the edge to apply a little more effort to retaliate in the form of clicking on "misbehaves in chat."  After all, if you can't produce results, you might as well get defensive and attack in the most passive-aggressive, cowardly way possible.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,884 posts
10,476 battles
4 minutes ago, VGLance said:

You have a much higher chance of getting chat banned if you are still alive and kicking butt in the late game.  It makes them rage even more because producing results is a direct assault on their false narrative (their belief that even though they died in less than 5 minutes, you somehow are doing less than they did and are more to blame).  It gets even more compounded when they see the post battle report and see you at the top and them at the bottom.  That extra rage is what pushes them over the edge to apply a little more effort to retaliate in the form of clicking on "misbehaves in chat."  After all, if you can't produce results, you might as well get defensive and attack in the most passive-aggressive, cowardly way possible.

Too many big words and logical assumptions. 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
15 minutes ago, VGLance said:

You realize that an overwhelming segment of players who play this game are folks who fall into the "it's just a game" category (the card that only ever gets played when trying to justify poor behavior).  These include, but are not limited to:

• Old, nostalgic players who have some sort of historical connection to the ships and treat the game like a model train set (which is totally OK if they stick to co-op and the training room or even low-tier randoms but they don't)
  • Old players who have slower reflexes, poor vision or other limitations that keep them from fulfilling their 1/12 of their responsibility
  • Players with a pretty f--ked up level of selfishness that allows them to find nothing wrong with their unreliable connection and/or computer where they are unable to contribute in any meaningful way 
  • Those that have severe intellectual limitations that keep them from being successful in the real world so they escape to video games where they can avoid facing consequences that normally come from substandard performance
  • Those that have severe social awkwardness that keep them from successfully integrating with society so they escape to video games where they can continue to neglect their social skills by evading consequences that come from shirking responsibilities normally found in a team dynamic outside the game
  • Those who lack even a modest level of self-respect which allows them to be content with substandard performance

You will never change their minds or get them to do the honorable thing by self-regulating (sticking to co-op, training room or lower tiers) because they have no care or concern whatsoever about the fun of the 11 other people on the team.  Or the team goal for that matter.  They are only focused on their own fun and damn everyone else.  Speaks volumes about their character and all you can do is recognize that they are being punished enough already.  Every time they down vote you, just know that they aren't just fighting to support the lowest common denominator players, they are fighting to defend all the poor decisions they've made in life and are making today.

There is plenty of room among the different game modes and tiers for players of all different backgrounds and abilities to coexist within the game if they all exercised the self-discipline and moral compass to self-regulate by playing in the appropriate sandbox (noobs sticking to low tier until they learn the mechanics and can carry their weight, unicums not going to the lowest tiers to seal club, etc.).  You will realize quickly that these people, however, are suffering from a profound level of denial.  Whether it's Dunning-Kruger or just a complete blind spot on how their actions affect others, these people are unyielding and relentless in their belief that they are entitled to screw over everyone else's experience for their own personal pleasure.

If the game increased the penalties substantially for below average performance, the quality of play would improve at the high tiers.  Clan wars is evidence of that.  But you're dealing with a very small population of players who have the required self-respect (internal desire to produce quality in all that you do because it's your stamp on who you are), intellectual capability, and physical capability to play at that high level.  And without significant rewards provided exclusively to those that reflect that effort, it's not going to keep them motivated.  Every time the lowest common denominator players acquire the highest end-game content, it dilutes the intrinsic value and weakens the quality of the environment.

I have seen you play. nuff said

• Cool 2

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
10,070 battles
4 minutes ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

ZIglKPL.gif

Funny. I seem to recall a certain historical tyrant making the same arguments about how "low quality people" should jus "self-regulate" and not get in the way of the "higher-quality people".... In fact, I recall a lot of them making this argument. And all of them have atrocities listed alongside their names.

So according to you the manager of a golf course telling the foursome of elderly gentlemen to speed up their play because they are holding up all the groups of golfers behind them is a Nazi.  Courteous golfers who can no longer drive the ball 300 yards know to self-regulate why teeing off from the shorter distance tee boxes.

Same goes with public skating rinks.  There is no written rule but everyone just magically "knows" to skate counterclockwise.  And the public do it as a demonstration of self-regulation because it's safer and more enjoyable.  You will get a stooge every now and then that lacks self-regulation and will skate against the flow of traffic, and they are either corrected or forced off the rink.

Like I said, you either have the presence of mind and quality of character to do the right thing or you don't.  You can argue all you want, but those that don't suffer far more in life and take massive hits to their quality of life in lost opportunities.  Of course, you never see it because you can't turn back time and compare the outcome of different choices, which conveniently makes it easy for these people to live in denial.

Sign in to follow this