You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Coop enemy ship bots - I smell something fishy

46 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
5,085 posts
15,958 battles
17 hours ago, alexf24 said:

All bots cheat.

Yep...and reporting them does absolutely no good.

Their biggest cheat is their aim bot.  And..yeah...they also use the "see torpedo" hack, which enables them to see torpedoes outside the normal detection limits.

Spoiler

I can't wait until some "clever" WG programmer adds a bot chat message to taunt you when you get DS'd.  Doesn't have to be something big...maybe come up in chat and say "Ouch..that hurt".  Just for fun... or to even see if anyone notices.

[CAST]
Members
1,941 posts
8,974 battles

If you want to have some fun, take a Nikolai into a co-op battle.  Very accurate big guns will make players very nervous after the first couple of volleys coming from the bot.  Chances are, most T4 co-op players are fairly new and would have no idea what to expect from a Nikolai until they get shot.  Hrmmm.  May have to actually do this when I am done all my missions.  Too bad the missions have to be T6 or higher.

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles
30 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Their biggest cheat is their aim bot.  And..yeah...they also use the "see torpedo" hack, which enables them to see torpedoes outside the normal detection limits.

Reveal hidden contents

I can't wait until some "clever" WG programmer adds a bot chat message to taunt you when you get DS'd.  Doesn't have to be something big...maybe come up in chat and say "Ouch..that hurt".  Just for fun... or to even see if anyone notices.

THAT is a good idea!  I talk to the bots, they should talk back... :Smile_bajan2:

[-PVE-]
Members
153 posts
10,877 battles

Another thing, if you die in a Co-op game, follow one of the bots with the camera. When the bot does not have a target, the guns will be pointing forward and reverse just like a real Navy ship would sail. Then watch when he gets targets on both sides, front guns will go one way and back will go the other direction and appear to turn faster then your own ships turrets could turn. 

[INTEL]
Members
7,280 posts
31,436 battles

Pro Tip.

If you end up in an all-bot battle and you want out (after you do some damage so you are non-zero not to lose money), you can quit and it is declared a Draw as the system will not play a bot-vs bot battle.

Members
2,126 posts
12,816 battles

Perhaps on April Fools Day we can report individual bot ships for cheating to WOWS support for a good laugh.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,093 posts
6,438 battles

Bots do funny things sometimes. It can be a bit infuriating to have such a hard time hitting them with torps, but it can teach you some pretty good tricks about how to get in closer to get hits. I don't think that they are slipping real players in, but the bots have abilities that we don't. One thing I've noticed is that they seem to see deepwater torps just as well as they see normal torps, so PA DDs are no better off than any other DD for hitting them. I don't have a way to confirm it, so take it with a grain of salt. Another good thing that they can teach you is how to dodge incoming fire in a DD, it's the only way to survive if you get spotted in co-op, because the bots seem to hate DDs with a passion. Our computer controlled adversaries are a bit of a puzzle, at times they are dumber than even some of the worst players, but at others, relentless and highly competent by comparison. If nothing else, they are always up for a brawl and don't try to play "naval trench warfare" like randoms have become. It's one of the things that keeps me playing this game, because randoms ain't it right now. 

[TROY]
Members
212 posts
2,936 battles
20 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I rarely play Coop battle mode but I thought it would be a good way to speed up some campaigns lately.

Now, I'm sure many players have been thinking this silently. Your battling a bot ship and it's starts doing things that are not very bot-like. Fancy moves out of nowhere, sudden stops and changing direction, even gestures that seem as if it's taunting you. I'm not imagining this because I rarely have more than one, maybe two shots of vodka while a play.

While most of the bots act like soulless AI toasters, every once in a while there's one that behaves more like a human so my question to WG:  Does WG ever insert real players (perhaps their staff) on the enemy team in Coop battles? Please come clean. We need to know.  

I don't remember what patch it was now but when testing out updates on the PTS server I was in a CO-OP match with bots on my team.  The game started out normally, a bit of chat about the changes was going on when all of a sudden in the chat box one of the bots seemed to post a confirmation message to a question about going to cap C on Two Brothers.  The other players started asking about the bot and trying to find out if it was a player who made a name that looked like a bot but after 2 quick messages about going to C it didn't post again.  My division mate and I were blown away by this "talking bot" and spent the rest of the game trying to get it to respond.

I really wish I had thought to take a screenshot of it but at the time I was a bit shocked and didn't capture it before the chat system passed the bot message by.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
4,092 posts
6 hours ago, biggie1447 said:

I don't remember what patch it was now but when testing out updates on the PTS server I was in a CO-OP match with bots on my team.  The game started out normally, a bit of chat about the changes was going on when all of a sudden in the chat box one of the bots seemed to post a confirmation message to a question about going to cap C on Two Brothers.  The other players started asking about the bot and trying to find out if it was a player who made a name that looked like a bot but after 2 quick messages about going to C it didn't post again.  My division mate and I were blown away by this "talking bot" and spent the rest of the game trying to get it to respond.

I really wish I had thought to take a screenshot of it but at the time I was a bit shocked and didn't capture it before the chat system passed the bot message by.

I had a bot CV once that yelled RUN!! in all-chat when it was the last enemy ship left.  Surprised the heck out of me!

[PVE]
Members
8,606 posts
21,865 battles
15 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

LOL I have reported the bots in game as bots back when that was an option. In the Dunkirk campaign, would always report the "cowardly ship" that always ran and usually got killed in the minefields (forget his name). Now the option to report as bots is gone, it has lessened my fun...

Members
2,126 posts
12,816 battles
14 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

I had a bot CV once that yelled RUN!! in all-chat when it was the last enemy ship left.  Surprised the heck out of me!

The smoking gun!   

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

I almost never play co-op, but the last few times I did (took in some new ships to test them out), I noticed that the bots will come to a complete stop instead of ramming you. In a couple of cases, I actually pulled out in front of a bot and stopped (broadside to them) to block their path, and they pulled right up to me and stopped. They waited patiently as I finished reloading my torps... then died.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,092 posts
8 hours ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

I almost never play co-op, but the last few times I did (took in some new ships to test them out), I noticed that the bots will come to a complete stop instead of ramming you. In a couple of cases, I actually pulled out in front of a bot and stopped (broadside to them) to block their path, and they pulled right up to me and stopped. They waited patiently as I finished reloading my torps... then died.

This is likely the same bit of code that causes red and Green bots to charge each other- then stop and chat for a while, until something makes them move.

As well as what caused a bot Pensacola to charge right up to me in my Mahan- then stop and just drift slowly by w/o firing.  He had me dead to rights:  all of my torps were on reload, I had half my health, was on fire, and had my engine blown out.   I said screw it- I'm dead anyway, and rammed him.  In slow motion of course, lol.  Just nudged my bow over and let him drift into me.   To my complete surprise I killed him- and survived!

Weird things sometimes happen in Co-op, man!

Of course, the bots will also ram you if they get the chance- you can't count on them going into sleep mode.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,245 posts
On 1/16/2018 at 7:56 AM, alexf24 said:

Pro Tip.

If you end up in an all-bot battle and you want out (after you do some damage so you are non-zero not to lose money), you can quit and it is declared a Draw as the system will not play a bot-vs bot battle.

Sorry, but all things being equal, having a team full of bots is sometimes far better than team mates....:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,697 posts
17,327 battles
On 1/16/2018 at 9:41 AM, Murcc said:

If you want to have some fun, take a Nikolai into a co-op battle.  Very accurate big guns will make players very nervous after the first couple of volleys coming from the bot.  Chances are, most T4 co-op players are fairly new and would have no idea what to expect from a Nikolai until they get shot.  Hrmmm.  May have to actually do this when I am done all my missions.  Too bad the missions have to be T6 or higher.

LOL I have done just that and have been asked many times "what ship is that, I have never heard of it?". LOL

[INTEL]
Members
7,280 posts
31,436 battles
34 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Sorry, but all things being equal, having a team full of bots is sometimes far better than team mates....:Smile_teethhappy:

That is true. Agreed.

[JCMNR]
Members
211 posts
15,469 battles
On 1/16/2018 at 8:20 AM, STINKWEED_ said:

I rarely play Coop battle mode but I thought it would be a good way to speed up some campaigns lately.

Now, I'm sure many players have been thinking this silently. Your battling a bot ship and it's starts doing things that are not very bot-like. Fancy moves out of nowhere, sudden stops and changing direction, even gestures that seem as if it's taunting you. I'm not imagining this because I rarely have more than one, maybe two shots of vodka while a play.

While most of the bots act like soulless AI toasters, every once in a while there's one that behaves more like a human so my question to WG:  Does WG ever insert real players (perhaps their staff) on the enemy team in Coop battles? Please come clean. We need to know.  

I have seen hat you are talking about. To me, IMO, Wargaming is one of the best companies out there when it comes to listening to their customers, development, updates, bug fixes etc. So to me, its not sop surprising that the bots are getting better and better.

Like the OP, I don't play co-op ver4y much. but I have been struggling with the Exeter mission. My wife had already been doing it in Co-op, so I thought I would give co-op a go. It started with really easy bots. but now they are sooo hard, well some of them. When you switch from Main Guns to torps, they know. you see an instant response in their Speed and Vectoring. you often see a response the moment you fire (Main Guns or Torps). As well as "Some Fancy Manoeuvres" 

Where my thoughts diverge from yours, is why.

I think that they are just making pretty good bots. they only complaint I would have is they appear to have access to telemetry about us (the humans) that we don't get on them. Its very difficult for us to tell when someone has fired torps at us without Hydro overlapping their position, yet the bots seem to know, no matter the distance. even if they are out of torp range, let alone Hydro range.

Hang tight. I am about to do a few more Co-op Rounds for the final stage of the Exeter Mish, I will make a short video and up it to the Tube. I am confident I can capture some of the moments in a single game.

Also, the bots do have varying levels of Intelligence. or so-called. If you create a battle in the training room, not only can you select if they move or are armed, you can also select i think 3 levels of skill. Anyway, I will report back with a video of some of the bots cleverness.

Good Job Wargaming, you are always improving the game. I like it!

Ther is one more possibility. Though it is quite far fetched. With Artificial Intelligence Mving at light speed lately, I wonder when (if they haven't already) Wargaming might start using Actual Artificial Intelligence to power the bots. I mean real Ai, not traditional Gaming Bot Ai. I mean bots that actually learn from their mistakes, perhaps even learn from the enemy's mistakes, and even teach each other what they learned. Those kinds of bots are not too far away, I can truly imagine Wargaming being a pioneer in this field. God I hope they do!

Just for coolness sake. Does anybody know of any games that have implemented true Ai into a game for Ai Bots? I know there are some Ai Players around on a few games. But battle bots like those in Co-op or the old Battlefield bots, remeber those in like BF2 LOL they could have done with a dose of Ai. I hate that bots have been referred to as "Ai" in the past. Because as Modern Ai becomes more like Ai, it makes describing them separately quite difficult.

[FLEE]
Members
2,194 posts
4,953 battles
11 hours ago, Fugative said:

....... I thought I would give co-op a go. It started with really easy bots. but now they are sooo hard, well some of them. When you switch from Main Guns to torps, they know. you see an instant response in their Speed and Vectoring. you often see a response the moment you fire (Main Guns or Torps).

......... they appear to have access to telemetry about us (the humans) that we don't get on them. ........... the bots seem to know, no matter the distance.

What were you drinking when you put this together? :Smile_amazed:

Did it ever occur to you that the bots in this game (and in 99.999% of games involving so-called artificial intelligence) "know" what you are doing because it is the computer (the server end, not yours) which knows in a poofteenth of a second exactly what key you pressed or what direction you looked in?
Every input you make, be it keystroke or mouse movement, is recorded instantly by the server and almost instantly it reacts.....and it is doing this with upwards of 15 other ships if you are the sole human with 7 bots on your side.

So of course they have "access to telemetry about us" which we have no way of having on them!! :Smile_facepalm:

Members
2,126 posts
12,816 battles
16 hours ago, Fugative said:

I have seen hat you are talking about. To me, IMO, Wargaming is one of the best companies out there when it comes to listening to their customers, development, updates, bug fixes etc. So to me, its not sop surprising that the bots are getting better and better.

Like the OP, I don't play co-op ver4y much. but I have been struggling with the Exeter mission. My wife had already been doing it in Co-op, so I thought I would give co-op a go. It started with really easy bots. but now they are sooo hard, well some of them. When you switch from Main Guns to torps, they know. you see an instant response in their Speed and Vectoring. you often see a response the moment you fire (Main Guns or Torps). As well as "Some Fancy Manoeuvres" 

Where my thoughts diverge from yours, is why.

I think that they are just making pretty good bots. they only complaint I would have is they appear to have access to telemetry about us (the humans) that we don't get on them. Its very difficult for us to tell when someone has fired torps at us without Hydro overlapping their position, yet the bots seem to know, no matter the distance. even if they are out of torp range, let alone Hydro range.

Hang tight. I am about to do a few more Co-op Rounds for the final stage of the Exeter Mish, I will make a short video and up it to the Tube. I am confident I can capture some of the moments in a single game.

Also, the bots do have varying levels of Intelligence. or so-called. If you create a battle in the training room, not only can you select if they move or are armed, you can also select i think 3 levels of skill. Anyway, I will report back with a video of some of the bots cleverness.

Good Job Wargaming, you are always improving the game. I like it!

Ther is one more possibility. Though it is quite far fetched. With Artificial Intelligence Mving at light speed lately, I wonder when (if they haven't already) Wargaming might start using Actual Artificial Intelligence to power the bots. I mean real Ai, not traditional Gaming Bot Ai. I mean bots that actually learn from their mistakes, perhaps even learn from the enemy's mistakes, and even teach each other what they learned. Those kinds of bots are not too far away, I can truly imagine Wargaming being a pioneer in this field. God I hope they do!

Just for coolness sake. Does anybody know of any games that have implemented true Ai into a game for Ai Bots? I know there are some Ai Players around on a few games. But battle bots like those in Co-op or the old Battlefield bots, remeber those in like BF2 LOL they could have done with a dose of Ai. I hate that bots have been referred to as "Ai" in the past. Because as Modern Ai becomes more like Ai, it makes describing them separately quite difficult.

What about the bot that stopped and gave me the finger?

• Funny 1