You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Coop enemy ship bots - I smell something fishy

46 comments in this topic

Members
1,728 posts
11,062 battles

I rarely play Coop battle mode but I thought it would be a good way to speed up some campaigns lately.

Now, I'm sure many players have been thinking this silently. Your battling a bot ship and it's starts doing things that are not very bot-like. Fancy moves out of nowhere, sudden stops and changing direction, even gestures that seem as if it's taunting you. I'm not imagining this because I rarely have more than one, maybe two shots of vodka while a play.

While most of the bots act like soulless AI toasters, every once in a while there's one that behaves more like a human so my question to WG:  Does WG ever insert real players (perhaps their staff) on the enemy team in Coop battles? Please come clean. We need to know.  

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,943 posts
28,062 battles

Oh please!

Low level bots are dumb and they can't shoot straight from afar. This is not to scare the newbs.

Higher tier bots (from about T6-T7 on) are accurate and dangerous and know how to cit you.

All bots cheat. They know where DDs are and they can read your torpedo aim so they torpedo-beat like masters. They always set you on fire or break your torpedo tubes when they want.

Tactically, they are all dumb. They are single minded, and will pursue DDs to no end. They will shoot at a far target because it is low health, instead of they closer target that is more of a danger to them. As per your question. No.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,206 posts
8,353 battles

Yep.  Was running a few of the New Year's missions in co-op, and had a bot or two that felt like I was playing one of the Zao or Hindy skippers I usually face.    Even though they'd be firing at someone else, I'd take my shot - they hit the brakes and turn in.  They'd then pick up at half-speed.   I'd fire again, and they'd hit the jets.      Looked like someone tweaked the AI to avoid/kite a bit better.

Members
4,714 posts
7,313 battles
Just now, DiddleDum said:

Yep.  Was running a few of the New Year's missions in co-op, and had a bot or two that felt like I was playing one of the Zao or Hindy skippers I usually face.    Even though they'd be firing at someone else, I'd take my shot - they hit the brakes and turn in.  They'd then pick up at half-speed.   I'd fire again, and they'd hit the jets.      Looked like someone tweaked the AI to avoid/kite a bit better.

Higher tier bots can be pretty good.  Got tier 7 Scharn and have lost some matches to em. Almost never happens to me in the lower tiers. 

[RKLES]
Members
8,689 posts
10,817 battles

Even the higher tier bots are not that bright since took out my Bismarck yesterday to complete a mission and totally shredded bot after bot. You just need to remember the tricks that you use in Randoms such as don't sail broadside, and if a Torpedo armed ship is suddenly turning and is within torp range then they will be launching Torps.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,888 posts

I don't even bother firing torps at long range towards bots. 

Their reaction is so instant that...  yeah..  they are cheating to seem smarter.

I've used that to my advantage, especially in the Mutsu:

Target Is 15Km away.  I fire short range torps...   Bot shows broadside...  Done.

Another trick is to shut off the aim-assist by hitting 'X' right before you fire.  The AI program doesn't register the launch.

DO NOT bring a Kamikaze type ship into Co-Op..  unless you want to lose REAL BAD.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,828 posts
2,524 battles

You're just used to the behavior of Random players. Once the bot turns he's moved beyond most of them.

• Cool 1

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,053 posts
10,724 battles
20 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

DO NOT bring a Kamikaze type ship into Co-Op..  unless you want to lose REAL BAD.

Really ? I have fun when playing my Kamikaze 'R' in co-op since I do this ;

22 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Another trick is to shut off the aim-assist by hitting 'X' right before you fire.

74 Battles co-op \  100% win rate \ 64.8% survival rate \ main battery hit ratio = 61% \ Torp. hit ratio = 24% \ 4 kills max \ 4.92 destruction ratio     Averages \ 1.7 kill \ 41,758 damage    Total and types of kills \ 128 total \ 98 torp. \ 21 M. Bat. \ 9 fire/flood

:cap_like:

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,019 posts
6,505 battles
46 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Oh please!

Low level bots are dumb and they can't shoot straight from afar. This is not to scare the newbs.

Higher tier bots (from about T6-T7 on) are accurate and dangerous and know how to cit you.

All bots cheat. They know where DDs are and they can read your torpedo aim so they torpedo-beat like masters. They always set you on fire or break your torpedo tubes when they want.

Tactically, they are all dumb. They are single minded, and will pursue DDs to no end. They will shoot at a far target because it is low health, instead of they closer target that is more of a danger to them. As per your question. No.

lol. I was doing the New Year Mission and this NC dodged 4 waves of torps at 6 km like it was in the Matrix.

Spoiler

Image result for neo dodging bullets

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,888 posts
4 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

Really ? I have fun when playing my Kamikaze 'R' in co-op since I do this ;

74 Battles co-op \  100% win rate \ 64.8% survival rate \ main battery hit ratio = 61% \ Torp. hit ratio = 24% \ 4 kills max \ 4.92 destruction ratio     Averages \ 1.7 kill \ 41,758 damage    Total and types of kills \ 128 total \ 98 torp. \ 21 M. Bat. \ 9 fire/flood

:cap_like:

Kind of defeats the purpose of bringing a Kamikaze R when you have to be point-blank to hit anything, right?

Better off to bring a Derski or Okhotnik  -- now those are the real bot clubbers.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,639 posts
28 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Higher tier bots can be pretty good.  Got tier 7 Scharn and have lost some matches to em. Almost never happens to me in the lower tiers. 

Lol- yesterday I launched torps at a Bot cruiser stuck on the rocks.   He somehow went from a dead stop  to full reverse in time to back out of the way of my salvo.  He then proceeded to ram the same island again...

They also like to wait and twitch just enough when I hit fire to make you miss.   When I try that same tactic, I get rekt...   The DD's will twist and turn when you put your sights on them to throw your aim off.     (when I play randoms, I like to troll enemy DD players by locking my guns on them- whether or not I have a shot- just to mess with their heads.)

I also have seen them suddenly stopping, slowing or going full reverse randomly- usually while under fire.  It's pretty common actually.   This is just stuff that's programmed into them to make them harder to deal with.   If they had the same bots in tier 8 matches they do in tier 1's, it'd be way too easy- like playing an old Atari game, lol.

I did see something weird yesterday.  I was in my Mahan (or Sims, I can't remember)  On Hot Spot.  heading South into the C cap area.   I'd just shelled the bot DD to death, and me and a teammate were working on the bot Pensacola.   I ducked behind an island to break line of sight, so he's stop shooting me.    The Pepsi then turns and charges right at the island I'm behind- like a man on a mission!    He rounds the corner and spots me- then slows down and hesitates, unsure what to do!!   He ended up coasting right up to me, and I rammed him.  He died, and somehow I lived??!!  It was surreal- like a slow motion chase, lol.  And a lil ol DD ramming a heavy cruiser to death and surviving??  Now I've seen it all!

Reminded me of seeing the red bots and the green bots sail right up to each other- then just stop and apparently share a cup of coffee or something.   They keep this up until someone targets them or shoots them.  Then they suddenly wake up and start fighting again.

[PVE]
Members
1,673 posts
7,166 battles

Laser like accuracy, lightning fast rudder shifts, 0 to 60 full speed ahead or reverse faster than a funny car....I only wish and yes, they do seem somewhat smarter and more twitch to them, especially the bot DD's. They seem to have some serious wiggle to them lately avoiding shots.

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,053 posts
10,724 battles
2 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Okhotnik 

I have fun in her also but I just do not see any reason not to play the 'R' . And mostly I just did not want your statement of  " unless you want to lose REAL BAD . " stand as ; in my case ; this is obviously not true .

:Smile_honoring:

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
1 hour ago, alexf24 said:

They will shoot at a far target because it is low health, instead of they closer target that is more of a danger to them.

In that regard, they're just like Players. Especially if the far target is a Cruiser and the closer one is a BB.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,888 posts
3 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

I have fun in her also but I just do not see any reason not to play the 'R' . And mostly I just did not want your statement of  " unless you want to lose REAL BAD . " stand as ; in my case ; this is obviously not true .

:Smile_honoring:

Kamikaze R horror stories abound.

I'm usually working off the low hull modules in cruisers or battleships when I see our Kamikaze-R try to take a cap.

You know the drill:  get into the cap and pop smoke.........   And you know what happens -->  They get deleted 2 minutes into the game.

Now we have to put up with a bot with the overpowered capabilities of a Kamikaze-R...   with out pathetic A-Hull underpowered XP piñatas.

I must say, they have some demonic program in there.  The torpedoes start showing up at regular intervals.  Our numbers dwindle...  and ..  oh yeah..  we have the rest of the bot ships hitting us too as we're always spotted.

Sir, I don't know how well you play - but I've been on the receiving side of that bot Kamikaze to dread the prospect.

Members
4,714 posts
7,313 battles
25 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Lol- yesterday I launched torps at a Bot cruiser stuck on the rocks.   He somehow went from a dead stop  to full reverse in time to back out of the way of my salvo.  He then proceeded to ram the same island again...

They also like to wait and twitch just enough when I hit fire to make you miss.   When I try that same tactic, I get rekt...   The DD's will twist and turn when you put your sights on them to throw your aim off.     (when I play randoms, I like to troll enemy DD players by locking my guns on them- whether or not I have a shot- just to mess with their heads.)

I also have seen them suddenly stopping, slowing or going full reverse randomly- usually while under fire.  It's pretty common actually.   This is just stuff that's programmed into them to make them harder to deal with.   If they had the same bots in tier 8 matches they do in tier 1's, it'd be way too easy- like playing an old Atari game, lol.

I did see something weird yesterday.  I was in my Mahan (or Sims, I can't remember)  On Hot Spot.  heading South into the C cap area.   I'd just shelled the bot DD to death, and me and a teammate were working on the bot Pensacola.   I ducked behind an island to break line of sight, so he's stop shooting me.    The Pepsi then turns and charges right at the island I'm behind- like a man on a mission!    He rounds the corner and spots me- then slows down and hesitates, unsure what to do!!   He ended up coasting right up to me, and I rammed him.  He died, and somehow I lived??!!  It was surreal- like a slow motion chase, lol.  And a lil ol DD ramming a heavy cruiser to death and surviving??  Now I've seen it all!

Reminded me of seeing the red bots and the green bots sail right up to each other- then just stop and apparently share a cup of coffee or something.   They keep this up until someone targets them or shoots them.  Then they suddenly wake up and start fighting again.

They should make low tier bots just as good as what I am seeing in higher tier bots and I was surprised at how good they can be in the higher tiers. It's NOT an automatic win.  This would really help new players to better learn the game and do better in PvP matches. Maybe. :Smile_great:

[WOLF9]
Members
3,639 posts
18 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Kamikaze R horror stories abound.

I'm usually working off the low hull modules in cruisers or battleships when I see our Kamikaze-R try to take a cap.

You know the drill:  get into the cap and pop smoke.........   And you know what happens -->  They get deleted 2 minutes into the game.

Now we have to put up with a bot with the overpowered capabilities of a Kamikaze-R...   with out pathetic A-Hull underpowered XP piñatas.

I must say, they have some demonic program in there.  The torpedoes start showing up at regular intervals.  Our numbers dwindle...  and ..  oh yeah..  we have the rest of the bot ships hitting us too as we're always spotted.

Sir, I don't know how well you play - but I've been on the receiving side of that bot Kamikaze to dread the prospect.

I feel the same about bot Atlantas and Saipans.   I cringe every time I see one on the team.  "Aww, man- you brought that in here??"   The bots are just way too good in those ships.  (when you don't get the stupid ones that just sail around randomly, barely firing)

The way it usually works out, I only really see Kamakazi R's when I'm also playing a destroyer.   And since US DD's are my weapon of choice- I don't worry too much about the IJN ones.   Bots epically fail with the IJN DD's greatest asset: Stealth.  They just come at you like any other bot ship- and get gunned down.

Full disclosure- I play mostly in pve, and upgrade my ships fully as soon as I get them.   (otherwise it would take TWO forevers to grind them out, lol)  So not all of us are grinding stock hulls.

Members
258 posts
5,829 battles
1 hour ago, alexf24 said:

On the rare occasion I find myself playing Co-op, I always de-target bots before launching torps. I have no idea if it actually works, but I'd like to think that it does.

[INTEL]
Members
6,943 posts
28,062 battles
12 minutes ago, Kirishima_Desu said:

On the rare occasion I find myself playing Co-op, I always de-target bots before launching torps. I have no idea if it actually works, but I'd like to think that it does.

It does. They know when they are targeted. They forget you are about to launch when you de-target.

They cheat, but you can counter it that easily.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,049 posts
2 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I rarely play Coop battle mode but I thought it would be a good way to speed up some campaigns lately.

Now, I'm sure many players have been thinking this silently. Your battling a bot ship and it's starts doing things that are not very bot-like. Fancy moves out of nowhere, sudden stops and changing direction, even gestures that seem as if it's taunting you. I'm not imagining this because I rarely have more than one, maybe two shots of vodka while a play.

While most of the bots act like soulless AI toasters, every once in a while there's one that behaves more like a human so my question to WG:  Does WG ever insert real players (perhaps their staff) on the enemy team in Coop battles? Please come clean. We need to know.  

Actually I've seen this behavior. I've seen it a couple of times where a single bot will suddenly start dodging and playing like a Unicum. I remember an Aoba that was dodging shots from 3-4 players, and almost managed to kill us all at the end.

Seemed very odd and suspicious, but since WG would never admit to thier employees taking over bots, and we have no way of proving it.....oh well.:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by awiggin

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,662 battles

No, the bots just play about as well as a 30-40% winrate player and sometimes it seems their programming gets a bit twisted allowing actually good play. 

[ARGSY]
Members
8,759 posts
5,911 battles
16 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Does WG ever insert real players (perhaps their staff) on the enemy team in Coop battles? Please come clean. We need to know.  

This reminds me of the suspicion of American F-86 pilots in the Korean War that the better North Korean MiG-15 pilots were in fact Russians on attachment to the NK Air Force. IIRC this was later shown to be true.

It would certainly spice things up. Also Google "Turing test".

• Funny 1

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles
14 hours ago, alexf24 said:

It does. They know when they are targeted. They forget you are about to launch when you de-target.

They cheat, but you can counter it that easily.

Hmmm...I've never heard of this, and have been one frustrated Shiratsuyu driver while trying it on "Ultimate Frontier."  Heh hehe....enjoy wall of torps bots...and...nothing... :Smile_sad: Now I need to try this...

[EQRN]
Members
721 posts
10,253 battles

Priority Target seems wonky in co op.  I was in a low tier match in a cruiser and this BB’s guns look like they’re tracking to me, but no number from PT.  The barrels reach me, the number 1 appears, then blam.  Seems like PT should have been active if the bot was targeting me while turrets traversed.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,805 posts
19,619 battles
18 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Priority Target seems wonky in co op.  I was in a low tier match in a cruiser and this BB’s guns look like they’re tracking to me, but no number from PT.  The barrels reach me, the number 1 appears, then blam.  Seems like PT should have been active if the bot was targeting me while turrets traversed.

In co-op Priority Target works pretty well, have never seen an issue with it there. In the Operations scenarios, it almost never works. You are getting shot at and it almost never shows any numbers in PT. You have to watch bots and turret directions. I use smoke quite a bit in PvE and I always zoom into the bot ship to see where his guns are pointed. They are wonky, all the turrets can be pointed in different directions, something I have never been able to replicate in any of my ships. It never fails when using a cruiser that one turret will be pointed at me and the second I give a broadside to the ship, that turret fires and if I am not going full erratic maneuvers, will almost always take a citadel hit.