Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KiyoSenkan

So why exactly does a dedicated AA support ship not have Defensive Fire?

135 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

7,829
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,097 posts
3,895 battles

Just make Akizuki pick between Defensive Fire or Torpedo Reloader if you're concerned that the ship being able to do what it was designed from the keel-up to do makes it overpowered.

 

Make it a choice between selfish damage farming (torpedoes) and team-oriented utility (Defensive Fire).

 

Akizuki was very nearly built without a torpedo launcher at all, anyway.

  • Cool 5
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
576
[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
Just now, AraAragami said:

Just make Akizuki pick between Defensive Fire or Torpedo Reloader if you're concerned that the ship being able to do what it was designed from the keel-up to do makes it overpowered.

 

Make it a choice between selfish damage farming (torpedoes) and team-oriented utility (Defensive Fire).

 

Akizuki was very nearly built without a torpedo launcher at all, anyway.

It doesnt have defensive fire because of the long range of its AA. Putting defensive fire on it would give it a huge umbrella, that would dwarf the Kidd in terms if both range and DPS. Basically it would make the ship OP as f*ck.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,829
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,097 posts
3,895 battles
Just now, Ulthwey said:

It doesnt have defensive fire because of the long range of its AA. Putting defensive fire on it would give it a huge umbrella, that would dwarf the Kidd in terms if both range and DPS. Basically it would make the ship OP as f*ck.

And this is a problem for a dedicated AA support platform because?

 

You're saying it would be OP for doing what it was designed to do.

Edited by AraAragami
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
872
[5D5]
Members
2,583 posts
15,793 battles
5 minutes ago, Trumpetteer said:

Because balans reasons))))))))))))))))))))

This is lost on the OP based on his last response.

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
109
[ML-S]
Members
320 posts
4,891 battles
4 minutes ago, Ulthwey said:

It doesnt have defensive fire because of the long range of its AA. Putting defensive fire on it would give it a huge umbrella, that would dwarf the Kidd in terms if both range and DPS. Basically it would make the ship OP as f*ck.

I don’t see that as an issue at all considering the Cleveland has the same base long range AA range for a higher DPS than Akizuki at tier 6 rather than tier 8.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,277
[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
11,145 posts
8,044 battles
4 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

And this is a problem for a dedicated AA support platform because?

 

You're saying it would be OP for doing what it was designed to do.

Yamato was designed to be able to take on multiple enemy BBs and win. Are you saying that it would be balanced for the Yamato to be more powerful than several other tier 10 BBs combined because thats what it was designed to do? 

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
6 minutes ago, Ulthwey said:

It doesnt have defensive fire because of the long range of its AA. Putting defensive fire on it would give it a huge umbrella, that would dwarf the Kidd in terms if both range and DPS. Basically it would make the ship OP as f*ck.

they could always just give it really ineffective defensive fire

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
1 minute ago, Horama said:

I don’t see that as an issue at all considering the Cleveland has the same base long range AA range for a higher DPS than Akizuki at tier 6 rather than tier 8.

yes but the cleveland is a cruiser and is being moved to tier VIII relatively soon

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
576
[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
4 minutes ago, Horama said:

I don’t see that as an issue at all considering the Cleveland has the same base long range AA range for a higher DPS than Akizuki at tier 6 rather than tier 8.

WG doesnt want to give a single DD the ability to screen 3 nearby BBs, which if specced for AA, Akizuki is able to do. The ship is already strong against tier 7-8 planes all by itself, defensive fire would make it ridiculous.

The full AA spec on the Akizuki is pretty strong against planes, it terms of both range and dps. The only reason why you dont see them shooting many planes is because nobody goes full AA on that ship. You need things like IFHE and Concealment if you hope to accomplish anything in the battle. Few people take BFT, and even fewer take AFT. There are better things to spend points on.

Edited by Ulthwey
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
109
[ML-S]
Members
320 posts
4,891 battles
1 minute ago, skull_122_steel said:

yes but the cleveland is a cruiser and is being moved to tier VIII relatively soon

I’m aware, but for where it is now, I don’t see why a tier 6 cruiser should have AA so much stronger than a tier 8 DD specifically designed with AA defense in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,829
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,097 posts
3,895 battles
3 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

yes but the cleveland is a cruiser and is being moved to tier VIII relatively soon

And Cleveland will get buffed when it is moved up, as its AA was nerfed in the process of making it a tier 6 ship.

4 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

Yamato was designed to be able to take on multiple enemy BBs and win. Are you saying that it would be balanced for the Yamato to be more powerful than several other tier 10 BBs combined because thats what it was designed to do? 

Some would argue Yamato can already do that. This isn't about Yamato, who fulfills her design purpose of "is a battleship" adequately as-is.

 

I take special exception to a WG developer's comment about Akizuki "not being intended as an AA platform", though. Which is blatantly false.

Edited by AraAragami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
Just now, AraAragami said:

And Cleveland will get buffed when it is moved up, as its AA was nerfed in the process of making it a tier 6 ship.

yes I know it should have a few more deul bofors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
163 posts
7,221 battles
1 minute ago, skull_122_steel said:

yes I know it should have a few more deul bofors

Actually, it should get quad bofors mounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
254
[CAST]
Members
1,444 posts
7,924 battles

I don't think the Akizuki was designed to be an AA support ship in the game.  It has good AA for self defense, not for ship support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
125
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
199 posts
6,344 battles

Because Akizuki is not a ship you have to pay money for... that's why.  - See Kidd.  I agree with the OP.  Regardless of historical accuracy.. looking directly at the game and balance - Kidd is simply the better choice.  

Akizuki - Requires dedicated captain to take IFHE to be highly effective vs destroyers... or AA build to be highly effective against CV's.  But not both at the same time.

Kidd -  Highly Effective at both regardless of captain build.   (and can actually maneuver)   

Edited by Simers72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
Just now, Murcc said:

I don't think the Akizuki was designed to be an AA support ship in the game.  It has good AA for self defense, not for ship support.

yes but the OP's point was the IRL it was designed to be a AA support ship after we blow up most of there CVs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[STORM]
Alpha Tester
1,046 posts
3,317 battles
8 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

Yamato was designed to be able to take on multiple enemy BBs and win. Are you saying that it would be balanced for the Yamato to be more powerful than several other tier 10 BBs combined because thats what it was designed to do? 

Technically I would argue it already does in game. Yamato was drawn up way before North Carolina was ever launched. Yamato was designed to take on any two battleships, specifically American, and win. The battleships they were probably thinking of are most reflected by Colorado and New Mexico in game. I don't know about you but I certainly feel like I could crush two or three of those in any combination with my Yamato.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
Just now, Simers72 said:

Because Akizuki is not a ship you have to pay money for... that's why.  - See Kidd.  I agree with the OP.  Regardless of historical accuracy.. looking directly at the game and balance - Kidd is simply the better choice.  

Akizuki - Requires dedicated captain to take IFHE to be highly effective vs destroyers... or AA build to be highly effective against CV's.  

Kidd -  Highly Effective at both regardless of captain build.   (and can actually maneuver)   

the benson can also fit def AA and has the same 5in guns if i'm not mistaken and it is free

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,829
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,097 posts
3,895 battles

Post wiped. People keep derailing the thread over it and ignoring my own statement that it's a discussion for another thread.

Edited by AraAragami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
163 posts
7,221 battles

Well the 100mm DP guns that Akizuki has are the best DP guns Japan made during the war.  It all came down to how WG decided to balance the ship, I personally wish it had DF in the same slot as TRB but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,277
[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
11,145 posts
8,044 battles
2 minutes ago, 1An0maly1 said:

Technically I would argue it already does in game. Yamato was drawn up way before North Carolina was ever launched. Yamato was designed to take on any two battleships, specifically American, and win. The battleships they were probably thinking of are most reflected by Colorado and New Mexico in game. I don't know about you but I certainly feel like I could crush two or three of those in any combination with my Yamato.

The Yamato was built to be superior to any BB that America could build, not to be superior to relics from the previous war, they already had that covered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
125
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
199 posts
6,344 battles
Just now, skull_122_steel said:

the Benson can also fit def AA and has the same 5in guns if i'm not mistaken and it is free

You are correct about the DFAA and Free parts... but you left out the part where in order to take the C Hull - you give up 1 gun versus the Kidd (4 vs 5)... 

oh and the HEAL.  lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×