Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Scharnhorst...AP-HE ?

11 comments in this topic

Members
4,729 posts
8,263 battles

Do you use HE much on Scharnhorst or almost exclusively AP?  Which one and when?  When do you use HE? Etc. 

[PRVTR]
[PRVTR]
Beta Testers
229 posts
5,216 battles

Depends on the target. With the Sharn I spend a lot of time switching depending on the target and broadside or not. 

[RLGN]
Members
11,494 posts
20,432 battles

Normal BB targeting/shell type usually works, but you'll likely spend more time shooting HE at angled bullybotes when you get uptiered.

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,276 battles

I use a lot more AP than HE generally, especially with your higher rate of fire.  However, if you are facing angled targets and not able to hit the superstructure for good damage, then you can switch to HE (which is not great) and get a fire going.

• Cool 1

Members
4,729 posts
8,263 battles
3 hours ago, crookytweet said:

Depends on the target. With the Sharn I spend a lot of time switching depending on the target and broadside or not. 

Ya.  Scharn is a very good ship but it only has 11inch guns. I not always sure what to use on a BB with them big guns. I tend to do what you do but I still experimenting.  Pretty new to it. 

Members
328 posts
11,791 battles

At ranges over 10km, anything with moderate armor  or solidly angled: HE

Broadsides, any range: AP works

Uptiered BBs broadside: HE start fire go to AP

[-B2P-]
Members
245 posts
5,330 battles

Wether it's a DD, CL, CA, or BB, I fire AP in Scharnhorst. AP just pens Cruisers period, DDs with slight angles end up eating full penetrations easily, meaning Scharnhorst is ironically excellent at hunting DDs with AP thanks to her lower penetration, so it fuses more frequently than her 15" and 16" stablemates. Just aim for superstructures on BBs that are angled away, even on long range. You still get better damage than HE. Sometimes, you have to aim for the upperbelt at longer ranges, but generally you don't have to. 
The only time I fire HE in Scharnhorst, is when I hit T9 MM and have to deal with crap like Izumo, Missouri, and now Musashi who can simply bow in and negate everything. So at high tiers, I do some HE spamming on the BBs. But I try to use AP mostly even then, and focus on broadside targets and cruisers. 

[-GPS-]
Members
2,833 posts
30,873 battles

Scharnhorst lives to delete cruisers with AP. It wrecks DDs too.  Against BBs it really depends on the target, range, etc.  HE alpha damage isn’t great so don’t use it on a B.B. already burning in multiple places. With the AP, you often aim at the upper belt/superstructure like you would with a heavy cruiser. You aren’t going to citadel a Bismarck, but that fat, juicy superstructure will eat plenty of pens. Izumo you might as well try to light on fire. 

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
7,951 battles

I tend to shoot HE at the following targets:

• heavily angled cruisers, particularly those T8 and up which are "heavy" cruisers
  • moderately angled and better BBs, since aiming at the superstructure for AP is pretty RNG-dependent for damage.
  • broadside DDs - HE is an excellent way to knock out torp tubes and break engines when those DDs pop around corners. 
  • T7+ BBs at long range, regardless of angling. The 11" guns aren't good enough to pen reliably, and you WON'T citadel these, so HE and fire are better ways to reliably cause damage.

Everything else and in all other situations, I shoot AP.

Sign in to follow this