You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Brhinosaurus

"Be the first on your team to spot..."

11 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
1,033 posts
7,245 battles

Question on the "Be the first on your team to spot..." mechanic, seeing as how it comes up a few times in campaigns.

Suppose I'm in a destroyer with a detection range of around 6km, and a gun range of around 12km.  The game has just started, and nobody has spotted me yet.  I've positioned myself so that there are multiple enemy ships more than 6km but less than 12km away from me, with clear lines of sight.  

Now I fire my guns.  My detection range instantly blooms to 12km, and I am now spotted by every ship in that 6-12km range.  So... who gets credit for being the first to spot me?  Does everyone get credit?  Is it the closest ship?  Or something else?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,786 posts
13,647 battles

I've wondered this as well, but unfortunately never got a definitive answer.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,891 posts

Those are nice 1M credit modules they are giving away for spotting in the North Cape campaign.

I'd recommend going back for those after you are done with the snowflake campaign.

Hop into a German DD..   Then the Gallant (if you have it), and just make a bee-line to the cap.

If you hit the boost, you can even beat the CV planes there.

Do your spotting, then fight like hell:  Pop smoke, fire all your torps, random gunfire...   to get out of that mess.  You've used your boost...   sooooo..  funnnn.

Edited by AVR_Project

Members
175 posts
5,456 battles

Had to spot with my Leander and Fiji. 

A lot had to go right.

Had to have game with no CV.

Had to line up on side with no DD, or one that was AFK.

Had to go like hell towards the cap.

Then I hit Tab and noticed there were no German ships in the match.

Arrrrrgh!

[ARGSY]
Members
8,789 posts
5,919 battles
1 minute ago, Carniolan said:

A lot had to go right.

Arrrrrgh!

I've got these missions in my to-do queue (same ships as you) and I tried, but let's face it - if I actually want to live and be of some use to my team, the DD or CV (if there is one) is always going to spot first. These were the sorts of tasks that should have been enabled in co-op. I am critical of them not because they are uncompletable, but because they are not completable without losing sight of the team goal; they encourage bad (because selfish) gameplay.

Maybe they were expecting we would all dash forward for some sort of all-in Trafalgar-like brawl; IDK. But the people who like playing their Random battles as if they were Ranked (and I can't blame them) were always likely to take a dim view of such things.

I am going up to Tier V in US destroyers and British battleships for the next time this sort of thing happens; it will give me a way around some of the more bizarre bottlenecks the tasks introduced.

[R-F]
Members
1,033 posts
7,245 battles
7 minutes ago, Carniolan said:

A lot had to go right.

Arrrrrgh!

I know the feeling.  When I'm playing Brit cruisers, I'd much prefer someone else does the spotting while I'm sitting safely in a cloud of smoke.  I got lucky and got that one on the first try when a Bismark came charging up out of nowhere.

I'm working on Mission 5 Task 1 of New Years raid right now.  Be the first to spot 15 enemy destroyers.  I know I am being more aggressive than is healthy in my attempts to get spotting credit (and doing damage, for Task 2).  Probably my scores and the win rate of the team are not as good as if I played more conservatively and didn't worry so much about it.  But what can you do?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,891 posts
41 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I know the feeling.  When I'm playing Brit cruisers, I'd much prefer someone else does the spotting while I'm sitting safely in a cloud of smoke.  I got lucky and got that one on the first try when a Bismark came charging up out of nowhere.

I'm working on Mission 5 Task 1 of New Years raid right now.  Be the first to spot 15 enemy destroyers.  I know I am being more aggressive than is healthy in my attempts to get spotting credit (and doing damage, for Task 2).  Probably my scores and the win rate of the team are not as good as if I played more conservatively and didn't worry so much about it.  But what can you do?

Those are always too tough.

We usually just repeat the easy one twice for 4 stars.

I had spotting 15 DDs up to see how long it would take.  With the collection complete, it only gives a few credits and a couple flags.  

Gave up and went after the steering and secondary modules in the Cape Campaign.

[RLGN]
Members
9,632 posts
19,108 battles
51 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

had spotting 15 DDs up to see how long it would take.

Missions like these are those I swear have been written by Daily Mission retreads from World of Tanks who have no earthly idea how Ships works...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 4

[TBW]
Members
7,093 posts
13,055 battles

All the campaigns do is upset the status quo and ruin the random and ranked gameplay. Too many people doing the same thing. Chasing bb's to the edge of the map, overextending to spot, etc... I thank you WG for making it possible to earn free ships but could you do it in a less obtrusive manner. Team work is hard enough to find with out you throwing it completely out the window.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1