You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Americandude_2017

Branching out advice?

19 comments in this topic

Members
21,171 posts
5,686 battles

Whatever you want. There are no bad lines, but stinkers in every line.

[MIA-P]
Members
640 posts
5,829 battles

The early tier USN CAs are great; especially the StLouis at tier 3 and Cleveland at tier 6. Beyond the cleveland I'd be careful though- the lack of counters to BBs really starts to hurt them. If you do go up this line I suggest stopping at the Pensacola until you've completed at least one other CA line and have around 2k battles under your belt. Seriously- don't repeat my mistakes.

I've only played the Russian DDs up to tier 4, but they do have a monstrous reputation, especially the Khabarovsk. As far as I can tell they're long range HE slingers all the way, and better than any cruiser at that. I don't know how friendly to new players they are, however.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,777 posts
13,616 battles

Might as well pick a battleship line and a carrier line, that way you'll have experience with all the ship types. It also comes in handy when there's a campaign mission that has a particular ship type requirement.

Perhaps German battleships and Japanese carriers?

[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,249 battles

Since you have a low battle count, I'd pick at least one BB line to get some experience in a new ship type and teach you about angling and damage management (the German line is typically the most forgiving).  Don't judge them on tiers 3 through 5 alone, though, as they are slow, inaccurate, and have little AA until you get to tier 6.

Members
4,714 posts
7,292 battles
19 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

Since you have a low battle count, I'd pick at least one BB line to get some experience in a new ship type and teach you about angling and damage management (the German line is typically the most forgiving).  Don't judge them on tiers 3 through 5 alone, though, as they are slow, inaccurate, and have little AA until you get to tier 6.

Good advice I think. You have one of the best ships in the game, Scharnhorst, at tier 7 in the German BB line.  Low tier Russian cruisers are also very good.  Bogatyr and Svetlana are tops in their tiers.  tier 3 and 4.

Edited by dmckay

[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,249 battles
9 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Good advice I think. You have one of the best ships in the game, Scharnhorst, at tier 7 in the German BB line.  Low tier Russian cruisers are also very good.  Bogatyr and Svetlana are tops in their tiers.  tier 3 and 4.

I play about equal amounts of BB and cruiser now, and Scharnhorst is a really cool blend of the two styles.  Such a fun ship, and so effective once you know how to play it!

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
1 hour ago, Americandude_2017 said:

I would like to branch out from the Russian DDs and the American CAs. Any advice on what to pick for next 2 lines?

Play whatever you hate and think is OP. That usually lets you see a different perspective; except with radar, radar is [edited]stupid and broken =).

Members
4,714 posts
7,292 battles
44 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

I play about equal amounts of BB and cruiser now, and Scharnhorst is a really cool blend of the two styles.  Such a fun ship, and so effective once you know how to play it!

I got Scharn a few weeks ago. Only my second BB as I play mostly cruisers but she is cool. Odd, she is designated officially as a BB but has cruiser 11 inch guns. BB armor but cruiser guns. Torps, fast ones. She is more like a hybrid.  Have done pretty good in her but she is not a long range fighter. Getting in close is the key to killing other BBs.  Guns and then WHAP....torps. She is good at killing cruisers at longer ranges however.  

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,154 posts
10,123 battles

Another vote for German BBs here. Very fun line in all to grind. If you want a second line, the RU cruisers are a hoot too.

[KARP]
Beta Testers
204 posts
6,876 battles

I recommend playing all lines, at least enough to get to know them. You know the old expression "no your enemy...". It will make you a better player.

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
9,073 battles

Depends on what you enjoy playing.  Don't have any Russian DD's.  German BB's are not great if you depend on main battery damage.  Personally, I found them lack luster at best, preferring IJN or USN BB's by and large.

Going for American CA's (provided you can finish it before the line splits) will allow you to have all the new USN cruisers unlocked once the line splits.  That said, they are not the easiest ships to do well in given the current meta.  That said, they can be very rewarding in the right location at the right time.  (See video for example) 

[CAST]
Members
1,444 posts
7,924 battles

Since you have a DD and Cruiser line already, pick a BB line.  It helps your game play all around once you experience all ship types.  There is no bad line, just different lines.

[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,249 battles
36 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I got Scharn a few weeks ago. Only my second BB as I play mostly cruisers but she is cool. Odd, she is designated officially as a BB but has cruiser 11 inch guns. BB armor but cruiser guns. Torps, fast ones. She is more like a hybrid.  Have done pretty good in her but she is not a long range fighter. Getting in close is the key to killing other BBs.  Guns and then WHAP....torps. She is good at killing cruisers at longer ranges however.  

Yep - that versatility allows you to carry the day in a lot of situations when other ships can't!

Members
4,714 posts
7,292 battles
7 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

Yep - that versatility allows you to carry the day in a lot of situations when other ships can't!

Oddly I have noted that it seems to me some opponents still do not know she has those torps. Blam!  Wake up call!  Heh. 

• Cool 1

[AP]
Members
1,196 posts
12,688 battles

http://www.randomresult.com/pick.php

jokes aside, you need to tell us what aspects of gameplay from the 2 branches you enjoy, so that we can make suggestions accordingly

we cant just guess out of nowhere....

Edited by jason199506
  • Funny 1