You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Musashi Final Form Commentary - She's a Must Buy now...

213 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,571 posts
5,259 battles
10 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

TBH the Free XP I would use to get this I could skip to the Yamato and have better AA. The idea of clubbing 7's with a Yammy is okay I guess...but I'd rather have the better AA and secondaries.

Cuz naked Yammy just worries me. 

If a good T10 CV singles you out, doesn’t matter if you are in a Yammie or a Musashi.  It’s your time to go.  I’m comfortable enough with the lack of CVs in this game to not even worry about it.

Edited by NoZoupForYou

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,013 posts
4,848 battles
2 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

If a good T10 CV singles you out, doesn’t matter if you are in a Yammie or a Musashi.  It’s your time to go.  I’m comfortabke enough with the lack of CVs in this game to not even worry about it.

That's fair, but the illusion of safety gives me a little bit of hope...in the Tyler Durden sense. 

"Blank faces, calm as Hindu cows...."

• Funny 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,116 posts
5,268 battles
12 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

TBH the Free XP I would use to get this I could skip to the Yamato and have better AA. The idea of clubbing 7's with a Yammy is okay I guess...but I'd rather have the better AA and secondaries.

Cuz naked Yammy just worries me. 

You know it's funny because it's as if people suddenly think the Yamato can fend off carrier attacks and that people suddenly have secondary spec Yamatos and placing their ship in 10km brawls.

I thought that the Yamato's AA is insufficient to thwart off carrier attacks and that Yamato players prefer to snipe instead of being at brawling range, I guess the meta has changed then go figure.

• Cool 1

[BRZKR]
1,571 posts
5,259 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

That's fair, but the illusion of safety gives me a little bit of hope...in the Tyler Durden sense. 

"Blank faces, calm as Hindu cows...."

Next time a Yammie or Musashi is sunk I’m just going to start repeating “His name was Robert Paulson.”

[LOS]
Members
632 posts
9,357 battles
24 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Vertical Dispersion -- This is an unknown stat.  There have been efforts to datamine it (unsuccessfully).  This defines how far forward and backwards a shell will stray.  It is largely tied to muzzle velocity (a known stat) and shell drag (a known stat).  The faster a shell is traveling, the larger the vertical dispersion field.  This value combined with Horizontal Dispersion, will define the dispersion area at a given range.

Do you think the game engine takes sea swell into account?  It would be a variable based on the orientation of the ship ( bow to beam) to that vertically changing surface, ie. the delta time of a ships vertical dispersion would vary as to it's orientation to the direction of a wave.  I guess it would be easier to make it a constant applied to the vertical dispersion of all ships across the board.

[WUDPS]
5,013 posts
4,848 battles
6 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Next time a Yammie or Musashi is sunk I’m just going to start repeating “His name was Robert Paulson.”

His name was Robert Paulson. 

[WUDPS]
5,013 posts
4,848 battles
7 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

You know it's funny because it's as if people suddenly think the Yamato can fend off carrier attacks and that people suddenly have secondary spec Yamatos and placing their ship in 10km brawls.

I thought that the Yamato's AA is insufficient to thwart off carrier attacks and that Yamato players prefer to snipe instead of being at brawling range, I guess the meta has changed then go figure.

Strangely enough even in a full AA Montana you still get wrecked by a Midway...so tbh I feel AA is pointless at high tiers. If the Midway wants you, you're gonna die...and he's not gonna lose many planes doing it. 

[WG-CC]
9,824 posts
8,347 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Venture said:

Strangely enough even in a full AA Montana you still get wrecked by a Midway...so tbh I feel AA is pointless at high tiers. If the Midway wants you, you're gonna die...and he's not gonna lose many planes doing it. 

Certainly never enough to matter in the short term.  Your best hope is that in the long term, he runs out of planes for many such expensive attacks.  This might be the tipping point that decides the end result in a close match.

[AP]
Members
1,229 posts
13,071 battles
3 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

but a shokaku will suffer trying to strike a yamato

meanwhile it looks like musashi cant even shoot down kaga planes

[WUDPS]
5,013 posts
4,848 battles
12 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

but a shokaku will suffer trying to strike a yamato

meanwhile it looks like musashi cant even shoot down kaga planes

See that is what I'm looking at as the mega downer to Musashi. Tier 10 CV's are rare as it is, but you're more likely to run into tier 7 and tier 8 CV's more than likely in higher tiered matches. If say I was rolling in a Kaga and saw a Musashi, I'd go for the easier meal 9/10. She essentially has no AA to speak of, and I'm looking at her long term future to see if she is a wise investment.

I see Enterprise and Zeppelin and Kaga bullying this boat on a fairly consistent basis. AA cruisers wont hug her, and that is my experience in several high tier games. This ship will be 20k off sniping distant targets, cruisers can barely reach that far. She will be alone and helpless less the other CV decides to defend her.

Yet this is all hypothetical and whatnot so I could be wrong...I tend to imagine the worst case scenarios. 

[MIA-P]
Members
2,150 posts
10,736 battles
10 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

See that is what I'm looking at as the mega downer to Musashi. Tier 10 CV's are rare as it is, but you're more likely to run into tier 7 and tier 8 CV's more than likely in higher tiered matches. If say I was rolling in a Kaga and saw a Musashi, I'd go for the easier meal 9/10. She essentially has no AA to speak of, and I'm looking at her long term future to see if she is a wise investment.

I see Enterprise and Zeppelin and Kaga bullying this boat on a fairly consistent basis. AA cruisers wont hug her, and that is my experience in several high tier games. This ship will be 20k off sniping distant targets, cruisers can barely reach that far. She will be alone and helpless less the other CV decides to defend her.

Yet this is all hypothetical and whatnot so I could be wrong...I tend to imagine the worst case scenarios. 

Of course, if the current DOY madness continues, nobody will have any AA anyway from all the HE being flung.

[NUWES]
Members
2,067 posts
6,616 battles

I do not see how this ship is a must-buy. The issue with Musashi for me is she is just a nerfed Yamato. If T10 had an "A" hull, this would be it. Missouri offers a new feature, radar, and better armor over Iowa, and even a regular Iowa at T9 is a very different playstyle from Montana at T10. That's why people kept Iowas even before Missouri came. This is even without Missouri's improved credit earning. Thus there is a reason to buy Missouri at T9 (replacing Iowa) and have Montana at T10. They are very different ships. This Musashi is strictly a nerfed clone of Yamato. Everything I've seen says it plays exactly the same, but worse. Yes she has the original Yamato layout with more 6" and less AA, but it doesn't do anything effective for it. It's just a straight worse version of Yamato; for 700+k free xp. 

IT may be powerful/overpowered for T9, but that is solely because it is a nerfed Yamato. It's was Konig Albert was; the same ship as a regular lineT4, but slightly nerfed and labelled T3 even though it really wasn't. Essentially, the ship's only real selling points are, the Musashi name, now-and-then it can seal-club T7s (which any T9 BB can do), and it is a premium. Other than that it is Yamato. Nothing new or different-fun. I really would have preferred they just do it as a T10 variant layout of Yamato but limit it to accounts which already have unlocked Yamato (or possibly accounts which have unlocked any T10.) That way the ship could have sailed in all its glory.

I'm huge into naval history and I was putting aside free xp to get it, but I really don't see the point as she is. This version is just a free-xp sink for a hyper-expensive port queen. I cannot think of good reasons to buy this ship if you have, or are close to getting, Yamato. 

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles
Just now, thegamefilmguruman said:

Of course, if the current DOY madness continues, nobody will have any AA anyway from all the HE being flung.

DP guns are rarely knocked out and the majority of ships get the overwhelming majority of their AAA from tose.

[LOS]
Members
632 posts
9,357 battles

That's what clans are for.  If I get a Musashi, I'll ask clan mates to Div. up for support.  What i do on the odd occasion now.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles

ALso Musashi may be bad but the difference between ehr and Nagato/KGV/Hood, (sans DF), is slim to non-existent, and Nelson is actually worse. Of the remainder of T5 and T6 ships only Bayern, and QE can claim superiority. Obviously Musashi should never be in the same match as a T6, but it should put some things into perspective.

[TBW]
Members
7,190 posts
13,326 battles

I can't figure why WG is afraid to make this ship earn the same credits as the MO. I can print credits with Atlanta in the tier 7 scenarios. Credits don't really seem to be most peoples problem and many have a surplus. I on the other hand have a deficit all of the time. The DOY will be my 191rst ship in port. I have many researched and some to buy back (I stupidly sold some off for a while when getting the next ship before I made the decision to get them all, many wasted credits) I really can't see WG selling many credits for doubloons, at the totally abysmal gold to credits exchange rate. I need credits badly and would not even consider buying them at the current rate. I would actually not be too tempted if the rate was 10 times what it is now. I will definitely get Musashi for the same reason you climb the mountain (because it's there). It will still make me credits when I get the chance to take her out of port. Hell, I have two premiums at the moment that have never hit the seas yet. When did they sell Enterprise and Kaga?

Of course thanks for the info Zoup.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[MIA-P]
Members
2,150 posts
10,736 battles
6 minutes ago, Carl said:

DP guns are rarely knocked out and the majority of ships get the overwhelming majority of their AAA from tose.

Not really. IJN BBs (including Yamato) most of theirs from 25mm, USN BBs from 40mm, and Germans 37mm. DP guns make up at most 1/3 of the overall usable DPS of most BBs.

Edited by thegamefilmguruman

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles
Just now, thegamefilmguruman said:

Not really. IJN BBs (including Yamato) most of theirs from 25mm, USN BBs from 40mm, and Germans 37mm. DP guns make up at most 1/3 of the overall usable DPS of most BBs.

Nope. Montanna, Iowa, and NC get between 50-66% of their AAA from DP depending on build and ship. Thats typical of most ships.

Give me an hour or so and i'll build a sheet showing % for each ship and build.

[NUWES]
Members
2,067 posts
6,616 battles
4 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I can't figure why WG is afraid to make this ship earn the same credits as the MO. I can print credits with Atlanta in the tier 7 scenarios. Credits don't really seem to be most peoples problem and many have a surplus. I on the other hand have a deficit all of the time. The DOY will be my 191rst ship in port. I have many researched and some to buy back (I stupidly sold some off for a while when getting the next ship before I made the decision to get them all, many wasted credits) I really can't see WG selling many credits for doubloons, at the totally abysmal gold to credits exchange rate. I need credits badly and would not even consider buying them at the current rate. I would actually not be too tempted if the rate was 10 times what it is now. I will definitely get Musashi for the same reason you climb the mountain (because it's there). It will still make me credits when I get the chance to take her out of port. Hell, I have two premiums at the moment that have never hit the seas yet. When did they sell Enterprise and Kaga?

Of course thanks for the info Zoup.

It isn't a matter of fear, they just determined that Missouri's earnings are too high and they don't want to repeat that mistake. 

[SALVO]
Members
19,444 posts
19,591 battles
3 hours ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Sometimes we talk faster than our minds can keep up, now don’t we?

Yes, that does happen sometimes.  But this is a mistake I'd never make in that situation.  I'd just find different ones to make.  :Smile-_tongue:

[MIA-P]
Members
2,150 posts
10,736 battles
17 minutes ago, Carl said:

Nope. Montanna, Iowa, and NC get between 50-66% of their AAA from DP depending on build and ship. Thats typical of most ships.

Give me an hour or so and i'll build a sheet showing % for each ship and build.

The wiki disagrees with you:
Montana DP: 157 DPS, 40mm: 318 DPS 
While the DP is longer ranged, it's half the power of the 40mm unless you take MFAA, in which case it's more or less the same DPS for both (DP are doubled). The numbers are very similar for Iowa/Missouri. Difference in range is 1.5km stock (3.5 vs 5km-full spec is 7.2 vs 5km). Of course, there're are also 20mms for close up, but we won't count those.  You could argue that the DP are more effective due to the longer time spent in the aura, but even then.  The only way DP makes up 50% is with MFAA.

Edited by thegamefilmguruman

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

I though 35s reload was fine, it would have balanced her against lower tier opponents and we could get the reload module to bring it down. With that being said, I won't thumb my nose at her with a 30s reload.

[RKLES]
Members
8,874 posts
10,828 battles
1 hour ago, Vader_Sama said:

If the enemy CV takes the time to gather ALL of his Bomber squadrons into a single attack force and make the risky trip out to you and manages to not lose them enroute then they can even break through Missouri AA to get some hits in. The danger of such attacks is they take extra time to set up and group the Squadrons, you are very high risk of enemy fighter strafing runs since requires your Bombers be tightly packed, and Defensive AA from ships like AA Cruiser canndecimate them as well.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,454 posts
8,217 battles

A great video for a very nice opportunity to get an awesome ship for free xp. As for the credit earnings, no it won't make so much for those who play her, she may turn out to be a credit sink, but for cvs that sink Musashi, she will be a credit printer :Smile_coin:

• Funny 2

[-B-Z-]
Alpha Tester
715 posts
2,744 battles

I already had 900K+ free xp but I wasn't going to get her because in reality i could free xp the entire IJN BB line and get the Yamoto for pretty close to the 920K. Now with a 30 sec. reload aat 750K, I can see why it might seem to be a good deal. Unfortunately, I wonder if WG was happy to let us believe it was 920K in order to sell more gold for xp conversion during the Chirstmas deals of xp conversion.

Either way, I think I'll wait and see how well early adopters and reviewers do with it before pulling the trigger and spending 750K fxp.