You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

The Pall (part 3)

17 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,356 posts

If you haven't already, please read Part 1 and Part 2 first.

The Snargfargle arrived at @Dr_Venture and @CompassRose's house, which was deep within The Forest. Compass Rose's, ancestor, @JohnPJones had built it with his own two hands after he returned from serving in the navies of several countries. History recorded "JP" as dying young but, in fact, he retired to The Forest to spend the remainder of his years in study and contemplation. The Snargfargle knew the Jones family well, as did they he. By the way, “Compass” was Rose's real first name as her mother, the famous explorer @Hunter_Steel , had named her after the antique piece of direction finding equipment that another ancestor, who was known as @Khafni to the locals, had had carried in the Great War. Like "JP," history had recorded "Khafni" as dying young too but "Lawrence of Arabia" had, himself, retired to The Forest.

The Snargfargle thought of poor Hunter and wondered if Compass would have turned out any different had her mother not perished on that rescue expedition to the Arctic and her father, Captain @Lionel92 Jones, had not done the same fighting in his own war. There was more than a bit of Artemis in Compass and the Snargfargle oftentimes wondered if they might have not actually shared a common ancestor. The girl couldn't be direct descendant, of course, for although the Staff of Ages maintained the life of its bearer and those who had been near him for many decades, it's eldritch emanations also rendered them incapable of bearing their own children. Though the Snarg and Artie had raised many children, all had been orphans or had been given them to raise in secrecy by parents who thought the children's lives in danger. Many of these children had become quite well-known in myth and legend themselves, but that is another story.

The Snargfargle was quite fond of Compass, as she was of him. In fact, she called him “Papa Snarg,” and pretty much could get him to do anything for her. In years past, the few local villagers who ventured deep into The Forest, would sometimes stare in amazement at seeing this tiny girl riding on the great, green creature's shoulders, pointing to each new thing she saw and jabbering questions a mile a minute.

However, the Snargfargle had not seen CompassRose in years, until recently. She had moved to the city to pursue her education, which is where she met Dr. Venture, who was considered one of the world's most eminent scientists. Like Compass' mother and father, Venture was a well-known adventurer. Compass too was making herself a name as a physicist and biologist. The Snargfargle thought that if anyone could help him find the source of the disturbance it would be the doctors Venture and Jones.

But talk would have to wait until after supper. There was a yummy @Crokodone to clean and dress and then roast with vegetables from and herbs from the garden. The Snargfargle could hardly wait, though if the truth be told he was something of a master chef himself. One didn't cook for oneself for the entirety of human history without learning a bit about how to make food tasty.

The Snargfargle was not uneducated himself. One does not live for over a million years and not pick up a thing or two. Yes, the Snargfargle was that old, for the tribe of proto-humans he had been born to had been classified by modern humans as H. erectus. Once the ice opened and the way was once again made clear, the Snargfargle had traveled back to the Old World, where he had studied most of the verbal and written knowledge of humanity and, if the truth be told, had contributed a great deal to this knowledge himself, either directly or through his influence.

Though he liked to present himself in the guise of an ancient tribal shaman, complete with Roc skull helmet and @grumpymunky skull necklace, the Snargfargle had the knowledge equivalent of over a dozen PhDs in as many disciplines. The fact was not lost on him either that, although he had always been a thinker in his own right, that the Staff of Ages had greatly enhanced his innate mental acuity. Lately, he had been thinking that he should let Compass and Venture examine it. This was a bit ironic because Compass had equipment in her lab that was currently doing exactly this. She had known since was first able to walk that “Papa Snarg's” old stick wasn't just any old stick. In fact, part of the reason she specialized in the graduate research she did was so that she could figure out just what it was and where it had originated. Many was the time, when Papa Snarg was sleeping after a big meal, that she had closely examined the staff. Beneath its camouflage of ancient accouterments (which were quite interesting in themselves) the staff, with its strange hieroglyphs, seemed like nothing of this world. Of course, she was not wrong in this assessment.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 5

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,802 posts
16,845 battles

I am immortalized! Nicely done +1. You've been quite creative lately. Its been entertaining.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,356 posts
35 minutes ago, Khafni said:

I am immortalized! Nicely done +1. You've been quite creative lately. Its been entertaining.

Thank you.

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,804 posts
3,795 battles

Wait, since when did I change genders, have a child and die a war hero? :Smile_teethhappy:

Great read anyways. Looking forward to seeing more lol

~Hunter

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,356 posts
36 minutes ago, Hunter_Steel said:

Wait, since when did I change genders, have a child and die a war hero? :Smile_teethhappy:

Great read anyways. Looking forward to seeing more lol

~Hunter

LOL, well, I was only going by your profile picture. The rest you can chock up to artistic license. :Smile_teethhappy:

By the way, that quote would make an amazing signature.

Edited by Snargfargle

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,882 posts
10,260 battles
10 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

If you haven't already, please read Part 1 and Part 2 first.

The Snargfargle arrived at @Dr_Venture and @CompassRose's house, which was deep within The Forest. Compass Rose's, ancestor, @JohnPJones had built it with his own two hands after he returned from serving in the navies of several countries. History recorded "JP" as dying young but, in fact, he retired to The Forest to spend the remainder of his years in study and contemplation. The Snargfargle knew the Jones family well, as did they he. By the way, “Compass” was Rose's real first name as her mother, the famous explorer @Hunter_Steel , had named her after the antique piece of direction finding equipment that another ancestor, who was known as @Khafni to the locals, had had carried in the Great War. Like "JP," history had recorded "Khafni" as dying young too but "Lawrence of Arabia" had, himself, retired to The Forest.

The Snargfargle thought of poor Hunter and wondered if Compass would have turned out any different had her mother not perished on that rescue expedition to the Arctic and her father, Captain @Lionel92 Jones, had not done the same fighting in his own war. There was more than a bit of Artemis in Compass and the Snargfargle oftentimes wondered if they might have not actually shared a common ancestor. The girl couldn't be direct descendant, of course, for although the Staff of Ages maintained the life of its bearer and those who had been near him for many decades, it's eldritch emanations also rendered them incapable of bearing their own children. Though the Snarg and Artie had raised many children, all had been orphans or had been given them to raise in secrecy by parents who thought the children's lives in danger. Many of these children had become quite well-known in myth and legend themselves, but that is another story.

The Snargfargle was quite fond of Compass, as she was of him. In fact, she called him “Papa Snarg,” and pretty much could get him to do anything for her. In years past, the few local villagers who ventured deep into The Forest, would sometimes stare in amazement at seeing this tiny girl riding on the great, green creature's shoulders, pointing to each new thing she saw and jabbering questions a mile a minute.

However, the Snargfargle had not seen CompassRose in years, until recently. She had moved to the city to pursue her education, which is where she met Dr. Venture, who was considered one of the world's most eminent scientists. Like Compass' mother and father, Venture was a well-known adventurer. Compass too was making herself a name as a physicist and biologist. The Snargfargle thought that if anyone could help him find the source of the disturbance it would be the doctors Venture and Jones.

But talk would have to wait until after supper. There was a yummy @Crokodone to clean and dress and then roast with vegetables from and herbs from the garden. The Snargfargle could hardly wait, though if the truth be told he was something of a master chef himself. One didn't cook for oneself for the entirety of human history without learning a bit about how to make food tasty.

The Snargfargle was not uneducated himself. One does not live for over a million years and not pick up a thing or two. Yes, the Snargfargle was that old, for the tribe of proto-humans he had been born to had been classified by modern humans as H. erectus. Once the ice opened and the way was once again made clear, the Snargfargle had traveled back to the Old World, where he had studied most of the verbal and written knowledge of humanity and, if the truth be told, had contributed a great deal to this knowledge himself, either directly or through his influence.

Though he liked to present himself in the guise of an ancient tribal shaman, complete with Roc skull helmet and @grumpymunky skull necklace, the Snargfargle had the knowledge equivalent of over a dozen PhDs in as many disciplines. The fact was not lost on him either that, although he had always been a thinker in his own right, that the Staff of Ages had greatly enhanced his innate mental acuity. Lately, he had been thinking that he should let Compass and Venture examine it. This was a bit ironic because Compass had equipment in her lab that was currently doing exactly this. She had known since was first able to walk that “Papa Snarg's” old stick wasn't just any old stick. In fact, part of the reason she specialized in the graduate research she did was so that she could figure out just what it was and where it had originated. Many was the time, when Papa Snarg was sleeping after a big meal, that she had closely examined the staff. Beneath its camouflage of ancient accouterments (which were quite interesting in themselves) the staff, with its strange hieroglyphs, seemed like nothing of this world. Of course, she was not wrong in this assessment.

is this your way of summarizing recent events?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,356 posts
8 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

is this your way of summarizing recent events?

I'm not sure what you are referring to; It's just a WOWS story that I'm writing.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,882 posts
10,260 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to; It's just a WOWS story that I'm writing.

it looks like that but, how did my name wine up in your story when I don't even know you. you forum stalking me or something?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,356 posts
Just now, Crokodone said:

it looks like that but, how did my name wine up in your story when I don't even know you. you forum stalking me or something?

Uh, have you read the entirety of my stories? I just pull names off the online user list and use them in a story. Most people get a kick out of it. However, if you don't then you won't be mentioned again. That is, after we eat our last meal of roast Crokodone. :Smile_teethhappy:

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,882 posts
10,260 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Uh, have you read the entirety of my stories? I just pull names off the online user list and use them in a story. Most people get a kick out of it. However, if you don't then you won't be mentioned again. That is, after we eat our last meal of roast Crokodone. :Smile_teethhappy:

that's bazar in so many ways, ide let you have your sick little play. for now Id say.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,356 posts
1 minute ago, Crokodone said:

that's bazar in so many ways, ide let you have your sick little play. for now Id say.

Umm, I really don't know what to say. You must not post in forums much because posts that mention community members are universally hits in the all the forums I've ever posted in. However, you will not be mentioned again if it bothers you so much. Like I said, I have absolutely no idea who you are. I just noticed your username among the online users and used it in a story because it fit.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,882 posts
10,260 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

Umm, I really don't know what to say. You must not post in forums much because posts that mention community members are universally hits in the all the forums I've ever posted in. However, you will not be mentioned again if it bothers you so much. Like I said, I have absolutely no idea who you are. I just noticed your username among the online users and used it in a story because it fit.

I did read your stories after I got the compilations of notifications of yo mentioning my name. I call it bazar because I've never seen or read of something like this before. But, if your intentions are as innocent as you claim them to be, then pls continue, for the forums entertainment.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,356 posts
Just now, Crokodone said:

I did read your stories after I got the compilations of notifications of yo mentioning my name. I call it bazar because I've never seen or read of something like this before. But, if your intentions are as innocent as you claim them to be, then pls continue, for the forums entertainment.

Thanks for reading my stories. And thanks for letting me explain myself. I really don't intend to upset anyone here.

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles

This is so well written! I am looking forward to part 4. I wonder what secrets will Compass unfold if she gets to research the Staff of Ages? :fish_nerv:

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

Feel free to use me in your stories too! What a wonder idea, I'm really enjoying reading it :) have you ever thought about writing a novel?