Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DaryaKonstantin

Chapayev to Donskoi - Having trouble

13 comments in this topic

Members
155 posts
3,424 battles

Got the Dm. Donskoi a few days ago. Chapayev and I had a great time together (though not enough to warrant keeping her), and it was with her exclusively that I got to rank 15 (so far) this season. Based on experience with Schors and Chapayev, I free exp'd the range module, but otherwise I'm working stock.

But for the life of me, I can't quite figure out how to make Donskoi click. Looking at her stats and armor, she should play similarly to Chapeyev, but in practice I'm just struggling. She turns tighter than Chapayev, that's for sure, but doing the same things I did in my Chapayev just get me blown away despite sitting lower in the water and having more armor (not like the matchmaking is any different...). I've looked on this forum already, but couldn't find much conclusive that wasn't horribly outdated. I've looked at Flamu's videos on it, but all I've discovered is that for whatever reason people prefer to shoot at my angled Donskoi 16km away instead of much closer targets, a problem he doesn't seem to have for whatever reason *shrugs*. Maybe it's just a server difference. For captain's build, I'm using PT-AR-DE-CE-IFHE

I'm honestly stumbling over this conundrum. So, like, does anyone have any advice or play-style recommendations in the current meta? Thanks in advance! :Smile_Default:

Members
321 posts
2,719 battles

Russian high tier cruisers are basically just battleships with every advantage of a cruiser.

[KRB]
Members
5 posts
6,488 battles

The donskoi really relies on back in the second line since the concealment is quite a bit worse. IFHE isn't particularly useful for the donskoi since the 180s seem to have no trouble penning bb superstructures and bows. The ap is a significant upgrade and can citadel some Battleships, and the improved speed make kitting more effective. Getting used to the heavy cruiser like reload after the chapayev also seems to throw people off, along with the bad turret angles which encourages giving excessive broadside.

[AFW]
Beta Testers
871 posts
14,737 battles

Have same feel after chapayev. 

My first 10 games with Donskoi was lost. Each first turn somebody citadel me. :D 

My strategy: when game start wait for at least 30s so you don't appear first when the enemy shows up. 

Then just keep distance and fire. If you need a turn. stop shooting, and make triple-check if somebody doesn't aim at you. :D

Edited by Gandariel

[AR15]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,773 battles

Treat it like a kiting boat... The turret angles are much better over the shoulder than they are going in (because they would have totally placed launches somewhere they would obstruct firing angles instead of somewhere else).  And ignore what the poster a few above said about not needing IFHE, if you want to damage T8+ BB plating, you need it. Without is 30mm HE pen, with is 39mm.

I would swap DE for SI since that extra heal is helpful 9/10 times. Other than that, kite and wiggle. Donskoi is fast but turns like a brick. Don't get close. Pick up the range module and pretend you're a BB with laser beam guns. 

[WOLF5]
Members
817 posts
9,071 battles
4 hours ago, DaryaKonstantin said:

Got the Dm. Donskoi a few days ago. Chapayev and I had a great time together (though not enough to warrant keeping her), and it was with her exclusively that I got to rank 15 (so far) this season. Based on experience with Schors and Chapayev, I free exp'd the range module, but otherwise I'm working stock.

But for the life of me, I can't quite figure out how to make Donskoi click. Looking at her stats and armor, she should play similarly to Chapeyev, but in practice I'm just struggling. She turns tighter than Chapayev, that's for sure, but doing the same things I did in my Chapayev just get me blown away despite sitting lower in the water and having more armor (not like the matchmaking is any different...). I've looked on this forum already, but couldn't find much conclusive that wasn't horribly outdated. I've looked at Flamu's videos on it, but all I've discovered is that for whatever reason people prefer to shoot at my angled Donskoi 16km away instead of much closer targets, a problem he doesn't seem to have for whatever reason *shrugs*. Maybe it's just a server difference. For captain's build, I'm using PT-AR-DE-CE-IFHE

I'm honestly stumbling over this conundrum. So, like, does anyone have any advice or play-style recommendations in the current meta? Thanks in advance! :Smile_Default:

Dm. Donskoi is a prime target, because of it`s radar range. And if you wanna help your team at caps with that radar,, your chances are slim to survive,since most BBs and other heavy cruisers stays way back,or behind cover lately . I`m in the same shoes. Stay back  and you survive ,or help with radar for the dd`s sake, and try to survive the welcoming packages... Dm. really needs a good team work,to use it as intended. When you are in one of those rare games,where most cls cover the dds,and BBs close by too, to share the burden, and shield you from some of the big guns, DM. shines with it`s great radar and guns. 1game out of 10....  

[SALVO]
Members
21,995 posts
22,415 battles
1 hour ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

Dm. Donskoi is a prime target, because of it`s radar range. And if you wanna help your team at caps with that radar,, your chances are slim to survive,since most BBs and other heavy cruisers stays way back,or behind cover lately . I`m in the same shoes. Stay back  and you survive ,or help with radar for the dd`s sake, and try to survive the welcoming packages... Dm. really needs a good team work,to use it as intended. When you are in one of those rare games,where most cls cover the dds,and BBs close by too, to share the burden, and shield you from some of the big guns, DM. shines with it`s great radar and guns. 1game out of 10....  

If you want to help your team at caps with your radar, perhaps the best thing you can do is abuse the physics and hide behind an island when you use your radar.  Then after the radar has expired, fall back to kiting range to continue your long range bombardment of the enemy.

[DD214]
Members
786 posts
28,100 battles

When you want damage, kite away and burn. When you help at caps it's time for cover and smoke

[SYN]
Members
15,365 posts
12,506 battles

You get a sidegrade on the guns for worse concealment and the same radar effectiveness.

Either you help at caps with your radar, or you sit in the back and spam HE from max range.

That's the only way to play this ship.

[WOLF5]
Members
817 posts
9,071 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

If you want to help your team at caps with your radar, perhaps the best thing you can do is abuse the physics and hide behind an island when you use your radar.  Then after the radar has expired, fall back to kiting range to continue your long range bombardment of the enemy.

Yes,,if there are other ships training guns on lit target by radar....Unfortunately,most of the times, that's not the case. So there is not much point to use the radar,if no one is going to shoot at the target? I go there to help the dds, eliminating red dds,,that means ,if nobody else is in position for support ,than the radar ship has to do it. Radar,to use it effectively, requires a team work .  

[SALVO]
Members
21,995 posts
22,415 battles
5 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

Yes,,if there are other ships training guns on lit target by radar....Unfortunately,most of the times, that's not the case. So there is not much point to use the radar,if no one is going to shoot at the target? I go there to help the dds, eliminating red dds,,that means ,if nobody else is in position for support ,than the radar ship has to do it. Radar,to use it effectively, requires a team work .  

That's why it helps to communicate in chat that you're about to use your radar.  if you use radar without telling people you're about to do so, you're right that they often ignore what's lit.  But in my experience, if you let your team mates know that you're going to use your radar, they'll be much more likely to shoot at what's lit up.  In other words, good team work tends to require good communication.

• Cool 1

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,888 posts
5,527 battles

I'm in the same boat.  (see what I did there?) I unlocked Donskoi last night after having a pretty good time in my Chapayev.  So far, initial impressions, she's tankier at an angle, guns are much flatter trajectory and less lofty at range.  I did opposite though, I free XP'd the hull and am grinding for the range module.  Once you get the better hull the rudder shift (I run the upgrade as well) isn't bad and while she handles similar to the chapyayev it feels as if she doesn't hang in the turns and powers through them more efficiently than the chapayev did.  Mainly I plan on doing the same thing I did in the Chapy with her.   On maps with island cover abuse I'd usually rush in, ignoring the firing lines and trying to get safe, not to get shots off.  Wherever I could go to get maximum radar coverage of a cap to help the friendly DD's through radar abuse.  When radar went to cool down I'd move back out to second line push with the heavy hitters and spam HE.  Small sample size so far, only had 1 or 2 games in it before i had to quit for the night.

Sign in to follow this