You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Sayings that strike you deep within your soul.

33 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
8,073 posts

Sometimes a saying rings true with a person, hitting them to the very depths of their soul.  This may be because it reminds them of people they once knew, places they once visited to lived, a time in their distant past, or someone they once were. Or, it can be for no rationally-explainable reason other than it just does. As Bob Dylan wrote, "And every one of those words rang true, and glowed like burning coals." I heard one such quote today that I'd not thought of in years but it rang as true today just as it did in my distant past.

"And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?" -- Thomas Babington Macaulay

Heard any other inspirational sayings lately?

• Cool 2

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,260 posts
3,154 battles

"When you become untouchable you're unable to touch."

[SQUAD]
[SQUAD]
Members
182 posts
464 battles

"Stop spamming the d*mn F keys!" Anyone who'll actually say it gets a compliment from me.

Incidentally, I hope to die in my sleep, that's the best death I can conceive of for myself.

"If you're going through Hell, keep going." Ie: Don't stop and whine about it, double time your butt to the other side.

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,800 posts
5,675 battles

"it's not about whether you're thrown, or how far you bounce. it's whether it's an ippon, and if you can get up or not." George Irikiri, Kodokan Rokudan Judoka

"that sounded like a full diaper hitting a rotten stump." my dad, talking about my landing from the same throw Sensei Irikiri was talking about.

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,054 posts
10,730 battles

" The more you love , the more you can love . Nor is there any limit on how many you can love . If a person had time enough they could learn how to love all those people who are decent and just . "

R. A. Heinlein

" I know that you believe you understand what you think I said . But I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant . "

Unknown (to me at least as I saw it on a poster in the '70's)

"                                                                                                      WARNING

I suffer from occasional loss of mental stability and become very violent with only slight provocation . The Veterans Administration has determined that mental and/or physical harassment of my person may be hazardous to your health and well being .

SO STAY THE HELL OUT OF MY FACE .

THANK YOU    "

found on the floor of the V. A. Ambulatory Care Center in Columbus , Ohio on  one side of a business sized card

[TBW]
Members
7,094 posts
13,055 battles

I have done so much, with so little, for so long. I am now qualified, to do anything, with nothing.

When all is said and done, more is said than done.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[HEROS]
Members
1,800 posts
5,675 battles

I have done so little, with so much, now I am qualified to do nothing with everything, take forever to not do it, and make it look hard.

• Cool 6

[KVLT]
[KVLT]
Members
2,302 posts
7,175 battles

"revenge is like a stone which man has forced up a hill only to roll down and break those bones whose sinew gave it motion" - no idea anymore

"when will we stop living in the shadow (mistakes) of our parents and start living for ourselves" Tali'Zorah nar Rayya - Mass Effect 2

Edited by Zhoyzu

[YAN]
Members
1,648 posts
7,900 battles
30 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I have done so much, with so little, for so long. I am now qualified, to do anything, with nothing.

When all is said and done, more is said than done.

Oooh, I liked that one.

Also sums up WoWS forum with balance.

[FACT]
Members
531 posts
6,597 battles

"One of those days when you feel like you have been shot at and missed, crapped at and hit."

Originator unknown to me.

[PSP]
Members
8,073 posts
5 hours ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

"One of those days when you feel like you have been shot at and missed, crapped at and hit."

Originator unknown to me.

My boss in the Army used to say "I feel like I've been crapped on and missed and shot at and hit," because he still had bullet fragments lodged in his knee from when he had served in Vietnam. Every few weeks he'd start hopping around because his knee had locked up. Man, but did that guy have some tales to tell, and the B-52 Project Delta plaque on his office wall plus the Special Forces patch he wore on his right shoulder and the the Combat Medical Badge, Master Parachutist Badge, Silver Star, Purple Heart, and Bronze Star with "Valor" device and cluster that adorned his Class A's, showed that he wasn't making them up. If I was to tell you his name you could look him up, he's in the history books.

[FACT]
Members
531 posts
6,597 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

My boss in the Army used to say "I feel like I've been crapped on and missed and shot at and hit," because he still had bullet fragments lodged in his knee from when he had served in Vietnam. Every few weeks he'd start hopping around because his knee had locked up. Man, but did that guy have some tales to tell, and the B-52 Project Delta plaque on his office wall plus the Special Forces patch he wore on his right shoulder and the the Combat Medical Badge, Master Parachutist Badge, Silver Star, Purple Heart, and Bronze Star with "Valor" device and cluster that adorned his Class A's, showed that he wasn't making them up. If I was to tell you his name you could look him up, he's in the history books.

Thanks Snarg, the first time I heard the version I posted was many years ago, also from a 'Green Beanie', so there is good possibility that there a common source, even tho' the phraseology (is the same but) different.

Beta Testers
1,212 posts
9,228 battles

Lo, There do I see my Father, and 
Lo, there do I see my Mother, and 
Lo, There do I see my Brothers and my Sisters and
Lo, There do I see my people back to the begining, and
Lo they do call to me, and
bid me take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla, 
Where the brave will live forever. 

-- Norse prayer

[TBW]
Members
7,094 posts
13,055 battles

"Sweep your own doorstep" ---My Step mother---.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[PSP]
Members
8,073 posts

We looked down the river and we seed the British come
And there must have been a hundred of 'em beatin' on the drum
They stepped so high and they made their bugles ring
We stood behind our cotton bales and didn't say a thing

-- Johnny Horton, The Battle of New Orleans

[WOLF6]
Members
2,382 posts
5,128 battles

"If you are good, no words are necessary. If you are not, no words will make you good"

"Merit is like a river: The deeper it is, the less noise it makes"

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
5,645 posts
2,706 battles
On 1/15/2018 at 12:01 AM, Tommy_Bluestreetcar said:

"Ladies & Gents, take my advice, pull down your pants & slide on the ice."....... Dr. Sidney Freedman

One of the best shows ever made.

"Rain falls in real time,

and rain fell through the night.

No dress rehearsal

This is our life."

-Gord Downie, Ahead By A Century.

Members
2,943 posts
3,244 battles

"Obsessions are like fire and water. Good servants, but bad masters. See the point is: do you rule your obsession, or does your obsession rule you?" - Earl Hindman

"The man who runs may fight again." - Menander

I mainly think of this quote because ho boy, in anything, are people good at hitting and running good at delaying plans. 

[PSP]
Members
8,073 posts
17 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

"The man who runs may fight again." - Menander

When I was in the Army, I took Taekwondo, as did quite a few other soldiers. Our instructor was a captain who was a 6th Dan, at the level where he said that if he were to continue advancing in the martial arts he would have to resign from the Army and devote himself to it full time. Not to mention that he was Ranger qualified too. He told us a story of how a had once been attacked in a city. "What did you do?," we asked, thinking that he probably kicked the guy's rear up one side of the street and down the other. "I ran away" was the reply. Later, I learned that three men had once tried to hijack his car when his family was in it. They all spent several weeks in the hospital before going to jail.   

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
8,019 posts
3,416 battles
On 1/14/2018 at 11:23 PM, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said . But I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant .

-- Robert McCloskey, U.S. State Department spokesman, at a press briefing during the Vietnam War

• Cool 1

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,054 posts
10,730 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

-- Robert McCloskey, U.S. State Department spokesman, at a press briefing during the Vietnam War

Thank you !

:Smile_honoring:

Members
154 posts
3,279 battles

"You have enemies? Why, it is the story of every man who has done a great deed or created a new idea." - Victor Hugo. A later version would be attributed to Winston Churchill as, "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

"None but a coward dares to boast that he has never known fear." - Ferdinand Foch