You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

Duca D'Aosta - in serious need of a downtier.

40 comments in this topic

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,998 posts
4,848 battles

So as per usual I decide to dust off one of my favorite premium ships (or in this case to look at) for a few games...

So I guess it was either the grind to finish the Des Moines, getting the Kutuzov, learning how to Atlanta, or something....but jesus christ...this ship is a straight up steaming Italian turd. The rose tinted glasses were shattered, then stomped on, then shattered again. The AP is down right garbage, the HE is just flares, and the torps are so anemic when you land all 3 you basically get nothing but a "we didn't even scratch him" look. 

Now don't get me wrong, she has great abilities to maneuver and when you max her stealth sure she is decent...but good god...why is this ship a tier 6? It plays more like a 5 if anything, and frankly it and it's upcoming premium sister should be both 5 and 6...or both need some serious buffs. I just played a game where I shattered against the superstructure of an Atlanta...and then an Aoba laughed at me. 

I like the Duca, but it was chalked up to being the first Italian ship in the game. This ship literally has nothing going for it at present, the constant uptiering, is brutal for this boat...and even in it's own tier you have to be a Unicum to get ANYTHING decent out of this boat. 

• Cool 3

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

a few things

1. her AP can go through the belt armor of a BB at close range

2. WG will never down tier a premium vehicle

3.her torpedos only do around 500 less damage then the germans and they have 12 km of range

4.for the D'aosta they should give her 1/4 he pen and a 7 second reload for the tier seven she should get 1/4 he pen and a 6 second reload that should fix the problem and not make them OP

[CUTER]
8,843 posts
7,636 battles

Slap IFHE on it and snipe superstructure using the super high velocity guns, or wait till a cruiser goes broadside and give them the good news with a few well placed AP salvos before they can correct. It takes some wiggles and some good aim for it to do well, but its easily one of my favorite T6 premium cruisers... even if its a free cit if a bb can hit you. High skill floor or something I guess, not really ez mode.

[5BS]
Members
5,971 posts

Na man, a downtier means she can't be used in Operations anymore and that would suck as she's pretty useful. I kinda wish the GC would be uptiered, purely to play in Operations.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,891 posts

Like the Budyonny and Schoors, it's a long distance sniper with a spotter plane.

Keep your distance and spam that artillery.

Kutuzov uses smoke..  Duca uses distance.

[SALVO]
Members
19,010 posts
19,219 battles

I haven't played my Duca much, so I probably haven't seen that wide a variety of opponents and perhaps tiers.  But it's seemed fine to me.  If any premium needs a down tier, it's the Krasny Krym.

[CVA16]
Members
2,760 posts
7,284 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

So as per usual I decide to dust off one of my favorite premium ships (or in this case to look at) for a few games...

So I guess it was either the grind to finish the Des Moines, getting the Kutuzov, learning how to Atlanta, or something....but jesus christ...this ship is a straight up steaming Italian turd. The rose tinted glasses were shattered, then stomped on, then shattered again. The AP is down right garbage, the HE is just flares, and the torps are so anemic when you land all 3 you basically get nothing but a "we didn't even scratch him" look. 

Now don't get me wrong, she has great abilities to maneuver and when you max her stealth sure she is decent...but good god...why is this ship a tier 6? It plays more like a 5 if anything, and frankly it and it's upcoming premium sister should be both 5 and 6...or both need some serious buffs. I just played a game where I shattered against the superstructure of an Atlanta...and then an Aoba laughed at me. 

I like the Duca, but it was chalked up to being the first Italian ship in the game. This ship literally has nothing going for it at present, the constant uptiering, is brutal for this boat...and even in it's own tier you have to be a Unicum to get ANYTHING decent out of this boat. 

I got one in a Santa Crate but haven't played it yet. Doing the gut wrenching ranked still.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles
32 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I haven't played my Duca much, so I probably haven't seen that wide a variety of opponents and perhaps tiers.  But it's seemed fine to me.  If any premium needs a down tier, it's the Krasny Krym.

Nah just preferred match making. It doesn’t need to see tier 7.

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,202 battles

If you have 19 point commanders do yourself a favor and farm a 14 point commander. 

Has the ship dropped from mid tier in the stats? As stated the ship won’t be downtiered and already enjoys several generous features. The Germans get built in IFHE because of the base fuse. Italian HE was contact so I won’t hold my breath. 

[WUDPS]
4,998 posts
4,848 battles

So I should probably dump conceal and go for IFHE?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
716 posts
6,143 battles

Keep the CE its good to disengage when you can.

I add DE to mine to get fires but overall this vessel is about position. Get to an area where you can fire without detection and the AP is brutal versus anything broadside. 7k salvos vs BBs at 12km broadside. 

The vessel overall requires patience and skill but its very rewarding to master

[SALVO]
Members
19,010 posts
19,219 battles
1 hour ago, GreyFox78659 said:

Nah just preferred match making. It doesn’t need to see tier 7.

I really don't think that WG wants to go the route of preferred MM.  Not a good idea.  Better to simply down tier or do nothing at all.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,324 battles
2 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Like the Budyonny and Schoors, it's a long distance sniper with a spotter plane.

Keep your distance and spam that artillery.

Duca has one of the worst max ranges at tier 6 for a cruiser without the spotter plane it can't play like a Budy or the Schorrs. She is a Port queen as the tech tree ships save Aoba are just better.

Members
1,536 posts
13,793 battles

Grind out 14 points in scenarios and get concealment and IFHE. 

Honestly though I have 100 games in the Duca and I was in the top 10 players on the server for her a whole back. If you want my advice, she is trash. The HE is so disgracefully weak for both alpha and fire damage. Its next to useless. It also has massive air drag so at longer ranges they get really floaty.

The AP has pen values like German I'm sure. Anything other than flat broadside you get overpens or shatters. And what's going to show you broadside? Not a lot. 

The torpedoes...i forget about them. They're so slow. Good for torping bots. 

I found I would finish most (t8, of course) games on 1k health, with 200 target hits and maybe one torp hit, shot down one plane after using all my def AA consumables, and I'd done 40k damage. Potential damage of close to 2 million. She is incredibly hard work and I don't find it fair or enjoyable. Why should a Bayern player dribble on his keyboard and accidentally get 2 cits at 15km thanks to rng but I shoot 200 times and get 40k damage?

If they wanted to buff it, give it either better he alpha or fire chance, or make the AA ridiculous. Until then op you're right. It's trash. Play De Grasse instead. 

Edited by NotoriousRNG

[CUTER]
8,843 posts
7,636 battles

I would, if you are playing it at a distance anyway, it will allow for more consistent damage and greater exp returns, which you can later invest in CE with.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,121 posts
12,386 battles

I find that she works best with a higher tier captain.  That said, if I only had a 10 pointer, I'd take IFHE over CE.  It's one of very few ships I'd make that call on.

[USCC2]
Members
4,548 posts

A few weeks ago I talked about Premiums being nerfed or buffed in a general attempt at maintaining game balance. I even have a couple of the ships I was talking about (Belfast being one).

Quite a few said 'No way, I bought my (strong/OP) ship and no one had better change it!'

If we can't nerf a ship to try and keep balance in game, it stands to reason that we should also not buff one in order to balance the game either. :Smile_honoring:

• Boring 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,856 posts
8,103 battles
5 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

A few weeks ago I talked about Premiums being nerfed or buffed in a general attempt at maintaining game balance. I even have a couple of the ships I was talking about (Belfast being one).

Quite a few said 'No way, I bought my (strong/OP) ship and no one had better change it!'

If we can't nerf a ship to try and keep balance in game, it stands to reason that we should also not buff one in order to balance the game either. :Smile_honoring:

Your joking right,the Belfast has some neat gimmicks like 8.49 radar, Hydro, smoke, decent guns making it fun to play,but OP it’s not

Premium ships as you well know are fully upgraded but with some work a Tier ship can be it’s equal the fact is many games your facing ships 2 tiers higher that usually have more guns, shoot further , better armor are faster

now that is real OP

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,121 posts
12,386 battles
1 hour ago, _WaveRider_ said:

In a perfect world, balancing premiums is a good idea.  It's not a perfect world, though.  When people pay real life money for a product, and then the rug gets pulled out from under them, it's a good way to make people take their money elsewhere and it may be illegal in some countries in which WG does business.  Buffing poor premiums, is just solid business.  You want people to purchase your product.  People will not rush out in droves to purchase a product with a poor reputation.  WG would be stupid to not buff premiums.  They are not going to cut off their nose to spite their face.

Looking at EU stats (NA stats seem to be FUBAR at the moment, as usual), Duca d'Aosta is a solid middle of the pack performer.  I think buffs/nerfs would be a pretty tough sell

Edited by crzyhawk

[LUCK]
Members
1,627 posts
22,122 battles
9 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Kutu uses smoke AND distance, not a real good comparison.

[STAR]
Members
3,176 posts
8,081 battles

Nope, Duca is fine. The only change i would like to Duca is a concealment buff. Out of that is a good ship when well played. 

[STAR]
Members
3,176 posts
8,081 battles
9 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

7 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

I find that she works best with a higher tier captain.  That said, if I only had a 10 pointer, I'd take IFHE over CE.  It's one of very few ships I'd make that call on.

No way, Duca main task is to ambush both cruisers and DDs, and for that you need more CE than IFHE. IFHE is good but only after CE.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,891 posts

Ironically enough, I'm finding the Roon at tier 9 plays like the Duca D'aosta.

I've already put the 'Special' spotter mod on it.  I'm back to long range HE sniping with it.

At tier 9, count on every battle being a T10. 

Get too close to any BB with a flat trajectory, and -zap- goes 2/3 of your health.

In the earlier attempts, I found I can sneak in and zap a ship with the short-range torps, but unfortunately, I can't sneak back out.

Between the special upgrade, flags, and captain skill, I get just less than 1/2 the battle with a spotter.  Down time is when I shift position.