You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ryxxi

All I have to say is Carriers from T6 Suck. You might as well not Play the game

31 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
1,481 battles

Literally the worst and most frustrating thing in this game is playing a Japanese T6 carrier.

Planes have almost no health and they die before you ever try to drop any bombs.

ALT mode does nothing because of my point above.

I like CV playstyle because its unique and gives you that RTS feeling, but every time I use my T6 CV I get super frustrated.

I have a level 10 captain with all upgrades. 

Every game I play with my T6 CV, I just sit there, AFK and camp for stray enemy ships. Because trying to play the game actually punishes you because T6+ bracket ships have insane AA.

I am Lucky to get a few bombs or torps on a Ship. Ironically I found that its a lot easier to attack the enemy CV instead because its a CV duh and they have literally no AA ?!?!?

I can do over 100K damage on my T5 CV, but barely do any damage at all on my T6. Wargaming please fix this.

I haven't played T7 or above so I cant really say anything but man T6 CV's are the worst. Don't waste your time trying to get one. You will be disappointed. Just play other classes and enjoy your citadel shots. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,011 posts
10,482 battles

Take that Ryugo into co-op and practice using alt+ attacks.

[KNTI2]
[KNTI2]
Members
206 posts
9,205 battles

Carriers don't become consistent until you get Taiho. Hiryu might be a pain because of being T7 against T9 and the flood of premium CVs at that tier. T8 is a hit or miss also with matchmaking. Only stable carrier at mid-tiers are really the premiums. 

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,145 posts
11,247 battles

Let look into the CV game play

Capt skills:

any skills that can increase the planes HP, chances to survive, dog fighting, extra ammo and AS. 10 pts capt is not enough yet

Ship upgrades

anything that can reduce the service time for quicker planes go up and strike, and plane aa damage or vice versa as above

Surely t6 only have some above mentioned.

Game get more harder as players base progress to this level getting better, t6 as mention, going to face some nasty aa ship AKA Cleveland and some other less nasty ships - Skills required to play as CV increased, more micro managing and mini map awareness.

And for  "FS", if you or any CV players who play random, please don't be a -ve dimwick that go AFK when the game start, or do nothing. You are still a big contribution to the game play. At least, you can provide aa cover, harass and suppress or prevent torp run from red CV, you cant strike in early game, how about be patient and wait. Some time into the battle all ships aa modules are damaged - hence reduced their effectiveness, this is the time to strike, even at higher tier ships. If you are absolute being a -ve, then please DONT PLAY CV, it very simple. Or if you are a half -ve, go play Co-Op where it will not impact on the other 23 players at that moment of time.

• Bad 1

[HINON]
Members
10,332 posts

You just entered a whole new world. At T6 and up you really need to know how to use alt attacks well to be effective. You also need to know which ships can carry defensive AA and which ones dont. Also during the load in screen it is vital that you mouse over the enemy ships to note which ships have high AA ratings and are likely running AA builds and which ones dont. You also want to look at ships over the course of a battle. If you notice a BB late game that has been blackened by lots of HE hits, its AA is probably diminished and more open to air attack. As you can see there is a lot more to know and be aware of at T6+ when driving a CV. Once you understand what to attack, when, and with which aircraft, you can rock games even in the Ryujo. Try some of the scenarios in the T6 cvs for extra alt attack practice and target prioritization.

• Cool 1

[KVLT]
[KVLT]
Members
2,302 posts
7,175 battles
58 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Take that Ryugo into co-op and practice using alt+ attacks.

He shouldnt have to. Manual dropping is something that should be learned at t4 and 5 but  BB players cried really hard. Ironically bad t6 CV players are the fault of BB players. Perhaps if people wanted competent CV players on their team they should stop flaming them, and perhaps not removed a core mechanic from the game at the tiers where they were supposed to learn them.

People act like CV v CV match up determines the games outcome. They dont, no more than bad BB and DD players determine the outcome. Its just something people get stuck in their [edited]heads so they dont have to blame themselves. 

• Cool 3

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles
11 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

He shouldnt have to. Manual dropping is something that should be learned at t4 and 5 but  BB players cried really hard. Ironically bad t6 CV players are the fault of BB players. Perhaps if people wanted competent CV players on their team they should stop flaming them, and perhaps not removed a core mechanic from the game at the tiers where they were supposed to learn them.

People act like CV v CV match up determines the games outcome. They dont, no more than bad BB and DD players determine the outcome. Its just something people get stuck in their [edited]heads so they dont have to blame themselves. 

QFT. This is exactly what everyone said when they were considering the change, but did the devs listen? Of course not. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
18,011 posts
10,482 battles
11 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

Well, with the exception of the Texas AA in tier 4 & 5 was either meh or non-existent so the victims cough cough targets could do little other than maneuver and if you were against a good CV player they were going to hammer you no matter what you did.

Where the CV vs CV match up gets skewed is in the skill level and the effects are more pronounced with CV's than with other classes. If your team has a poor CV player and the red team has a good one you are effectively down a ship as the poor player will accomplish nothing.

[KVLT]
[KVLT]
Members
2,302 posts
7,175 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Well, with the exception of the Texas AA in tier 4 & 5 was either meh or non-existent so the victims cough cough targets could do little other than maneuver and if you were against a good CV player they were going to hammer you no matter what you did.

Where the CV vs CV match up gets skewed is in the skill level and the effects are more pronounced with CV's than with other classes. If your team has a poor CV player and the red team has a good one you are effectively down a ship as the poor player will accomplish nothing.

In bold is the Myth. Its only noticable because generally theres only one CV per side. the affects of a poor player are felt regardless of ship type. BBs at the back of the map have no game impact and the team is playing down a person(s). with 7 BBs per team it hard to notice how the one player is dragging the team down. Ive also never seen a CV player flame a BB player for missing shots at 5km or a DD for missing point blank torps on essentially stationary targets. Why is this entire community trying to micromanage a ship type most dont even know how to play????

They removed manual drops because of seal clubbing. They may as well remove Citadels from cruisers and main battery from BBs at those same tiers to prevent seal clubbing. Hell make it so DDs dont have a hard range on torps, make it so all torps have random lengths from duds to 10km with NO CONSISTENCY at t4 and t5. Looking around most people have a t4 seal clubber, usually a DD. WHy has WG not made an effort to stem seal clubbing in other ships?

• Cool 1

[MIA-P]
Members
642 posts
5,840 battles
1 hour ago, Ryxxi said:

Literally the worst and most frustrating thing in this game is playing a Japanese T6 carrier.

The Ryujo is my best ship, at least in terms of stats, so if you ever feel like getting a tiny bit more specific with what you're actually having trouble with, then I'd be more than willing to help you out.

In general, learning to deal with AA is an important skill for CV captains. It can often be frustrating, but except for a few matches at tier 7, and most matches at tier 8, it will never be just impossible for you to get strikes in.

My first piece of advice is to spend the time while the battle is loading in examining which enemy ships have dangerous AA. The Ryujo's AA is fairly decent, so an easy benchmark is to tread carefully around ships with AA higher than your own. Also, beware of the cleveland! It has a deceptively low AA rating relative to how deadly it can be.

That said, you will meet no ships that you are absolutely incapable of striking (except perhaps an AA specked Atlanta). If a ship seems to have really strong AA, wait until it is isolated, or wait for your teammates' HE shells to destroy a large portion of the ship's AA armaments (this is especially relevant for dealing with BBs which have tanked a lot of damage). When going in for the strike, choose a direct attack vector that avoids flying about above the enemies heads. Also, use your bombers and fighters (if they're not needed) to act as a meat shield for your more important torpedo bombers.

That all said, your biggest weapon against powerful AA is to simply not engage it. At ters 4/5 you were able to fly over groups of enemies with impunity. No more of that. Prioritize isolated targets- DDs and fast CLs in the early game, border camping and overextended BBs in the late game.

This is all perfectly possible.

1 hour ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

10 pts capt is not enough yet

All you need for a CV captain is 11 points. Get: Aircraft Service Expert, Dogfighting Expert, Torpedo Acceleration, Torpedo Armament Expertise and Air Supremacy. Anything else is superfluous.

1 hour ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

Ship upgrades

anything that can reduce the service time for quicker planes go up and strike, and plane aa damage or vice versa as above

For a Ryujo one needs: Air Group Mod 1 and Air Group Mod 2. Flight Control Mod 1 is only really useful on USN CVs because of the painfully long reload times, and all other mods/slots are unneeded.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
18,011 posts
10,482 battles
29 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

In bold is the Myth. Its only noticable because generally theres only one CV per side. the affects of a poor player are felt regardless of ship type. BBs at the back of the map have no game impact and the team is playing down a person(s). with 7 BBs per team it hard to notice how the one player is dragging the team down. Ive also never seen a CV player flame a BB player for missing shots at 5km or a DD for missing point blank torps on essentially stationary targets. Why is this entire community trying to micromanage a ship type most dont even know how to play????

They removed manual drops because of seal clubbing. They may as well remove Citadels from cruisers and main battery from BBs at those same tiers to prevent seal clubbing. Hell make it so DDs dont have a hard range on torps, make it so all torps have random lengths from duds to 10km with NO CONSISTENCY at t4 and t5. Looking around most people have a t4 seal clubber, usually a DD. WHy has WG not made an effort to stem seal clubbing in other ships?

I have to disagree, a really good CV player will shut down any lesser CV player and take them out of the match even if they don't kill them. With the other classes the various random elements like dispersion will allow the lesser players to usually accomplish something.

[HINON]
Members
10,332 posts
2 hours ago, Zhoyzu said:

Welcome to WoWs where CVs get nerfed because BB players cry hard. T6 is the worst spot to learn CVs for the reasons youve stated. AA is blatantly OP for no god damned reason and WG said HEY [edited] YOU and removed manual drops from t4-5. I imagine is sucks more now because of that. You just gotta grind through it. CVs become enjoyable at t9 when you cant be uptiered like no ones business

Not sure where you get this notion that BBs cried a bunch at T4 and T5 leading to the removal of manual drops. Heck BBs are one of the few targets you can reliably drop on still with the auto drops if the target is paying attention.  Good luck hitting dds with the auto drops and most cruisers and if they drop smoke you cant target them at all. Before their removal though a T4 or T5 cv that has an experienced captain could easily run the board and nuke any enemy ship due to the lack of meaningful AA on almost every ship.

[KVLT]
[KVLT]
Members
2,302 posts
7,175 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I have to disagree, a really good CV player will shut down any lesser CV player and take them out of the match even if they don't kill them. With the other classes the various random elements like dispersion will allow the lesser players to usually accomplish something.

Even a "lesser" CV is spotting. As ive said before its all in the head. Its just more noticeable, same impact on match as any other bad player.

[GWG]
[GWG]
18,011 posts
10,482 battles
8 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

Even a "lesser" CV is spotting. As ive said before its all in the head. Its just more noticeable, same impact on match as any other bad player.

But for how long? if the squads are wiped as soon as they are seen they aren't doing much and it takes a fair bit of time before the reserves are online for the same thing to happen again. All the while the good CV player is also raising hell against the enemy team at the same time as he is shutting down the poor CV player.

[KVLT]
[KVLT]
Members
2,302 posts
7,175 battles
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

But for how long? if the squads are wiped as soon as they are seen they aren't doing much and it takes a fair bit of time before the reserves are online for the same thing to happen again. All the while the good CV player is also raising hell against the enemy team at the same time as he is shutting down the poor CV player.

How long are your CA/CL and DDs going to live when a majority of your teams healthpool is still at spawn doing nothing? While the enemy team has their full total health pool in the fight as well as fire power?

[GWG]
[GWG]
18,011 posts
10,482 battles
4 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

How long are your CA/CL and DDs going to live when a majority of your teams healthpool is still at spawn doing nothing? While the enemy team has their full total health pool in the fight as well as fire power?

Who said anything about sitting at the spawn? Yeah that happens but more often the poor player yolo's but they are able to spot the enemy and maybe cause some damage before they go down.

Members
3 posts
1,481 battles

I will post a video of what I am talking about soon. My planes melt super hard to AA fire. Cant even get 3 km's to the ships. I uploaded a replay. Please enlighten me. 20180115_164010_PJSA009-Ryujo-1933_23_Shards.wowsreplay

20180115_164010_PJSA009-Ryujo-1933_23_Shards.wowsreplay

Edited by Ryxxi

Members
3 posts
1,481 battles

Now compare my T5 game.. 

Had a AFKer in my game but I was able to do 82k damage.

20180115_165952_PJSA006-Zuiho-1944_01_solomon_islands.wowsreplay

How is this balanced. My T5 planes are hella lot tankier (or the lack of AA) compared to T6. 

Some games I end up doing nothing for more than 10minutes because all my planes r dead.

Edited by Ryxxi

[BNKR]
Members
462 posts
362 battles
13 hours ago, Ryxxi said:

I will post a video of what I am talking about soon. My planes melt super hard to AA fire. Cant even get 3 km's to the ships. I uploaded a replay. Please enlighten me. 20180115_164010_PJSA009-Ryujo-1933_23_Shards.wowsreplay

20180115_164010_PJSA009-Ryujo-1933_23_Shards.wowsreplay

Vids not working for me, not sure about anyone else.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles

My best advice is simply wait. The meta is changing especially on the NA server. BB AA is making DD hunting a better tactic. If you go with the new meta the old builds won’t work as well. You needs to control flight length and maximize sorties versus getting that perfect set up. In fact with DD hunting auto drop about as good as manual. You just got to keep dropping ordinances until something hits usually a good DB hit but stray torpedo usually one shots a DD as well. You just have to keep saturating the DD until something hits. 

Doing this gets you more credits and prevents the other team from controlling caps.

Members
2,692 posts
4,322 battles

Step 1. Learn the art of the long drop vs high AA targets.

Step 2.  Knock DCP off of easy targets and inform your team when they use it

Step 3. Learn to scout while avoiding US fighters and the proper use of Strafing.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles
46 minutes ago, StoneRhino said:

Step 1. Learn the art of the long drop vs high AA targets.

Step 2.  Knock DCP off of easy targets and inform your team when they use it

Step 3. Learn to scout while avoiding US fighters and the proper use of Strafing.

1) never drop on high AA targets early in the match drop on DDs then keep them spotted

2) good luck with that

3) learn to pull enemy fighters over friendly AA so you get help killing them instead of relying on hit or miss strafing

Members
1,969 posts
3,875 battles

At T6 you can no longer attack whatever you please.  Pay attention in the pre-battle screen to what ships the enemy team has.  Is it a USN CL/A or BB? Avoid it.  Does it have unusually high AA?  Avoid it. Are the blobbed up? Avoid them. Is it the Hood?  Avoid it.

At T6 and up it becomes a game of pick your targets carefully.  Most BB's are fair game with secondary or AA focused German BB's becoming risky. Russian cruisers and German cruisers are possibly targets but most likely have defensive fire to throw off your aim.

Trust me, you're in a better spot then your USN counterparts.

• Cool 1

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles
Just now, Palladia said:

At T6 you can no longer attack whatever you please.  Pay attention in the pre-battle screen to what ships the enemy team has.  Is it a USN CL/A or BB? Avoid it.  Does it have unusually high AA?  Avoid it. Are the blobbed up? Avoid them. Is it the Hood?  Avoid it.

At T6 and up it becomes a game of pick your targets carefully.  Most BB's are fair game with secondary or AA focused German BB's becoming risky. Russian cruisers and German cruisers are possibly targets but most likely have defensive fire to throw off your aim.

Trust me, you're in a better spot then your USN counterparts.

Disagree you can easily attain air superiority with those Hellcats. Having even three squadrons of Zeroes won’t help you. If you get both of the fighter mods Hellcats are very hard to kill and rarely run out of ammo.