You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SavageTactical

Duke of York: inperspective

71 comments in this topic

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

A lot of people are complaining about the Duke of York and it’s not completely unjustified. However, look at it like this: if you had $1000 dollars riding on a 1v1 match where you got to choose between the Duke and the Graf Spee and your opponent got the ship you didn’t want, which would you choose? I hope you would say the Duke, because she has a lot more combat power than the Spee even though many of us like her more than the Duke. There’s my point, yes Duke is not as good as the KGV but she’s still better than the Spee. She will earn more than Spee as well.  Ask ally, WG gave us a better ship than the one we got last year.

Does she need Buffs? Yes, but WG was wanting her to be different from KGV. In keeping with the spirit of being different but equal, I would propose an increase in her sigma ( like 2.0 or 2.1) to make up for her slower reload and still keep her attractive to play over KGV. I also would propose to give her the RN super heal since she carries one less. Lastly, allow you to choose between hydro and Defensive Fire. These changes may not make her better, but it would give her own unique strengths. 

• Boring 2
  • Bad 1

Members
5,111 posts
3,082 battles

I have no clue why you're comparing DoY and Spee. No one is complaining that she's free to people who want to do all of the grinding, but lots of people still paid for her. Mind you, a ship being free to some people is no excuse for said ship to be garbage. People just want a balanced ship, stop trying to compare a tier 7 battleship to a tier 6 cruiser. Because I'd take tier 6 cruisers for free over the former all day if it's better balanced for it's tier.

Edited by goldeagle1123
  • Cool 3

[HINON]
Supertester
20,188 posts
13,641 battles

But my choice isn't between DoY and Graf Spee. My choice is between DoY and KGV. Between DoY and Nelson. Between DoY and Hood, Scharnhorst and Gneisenau. And in those cases, why would I pick DoY.

• Cool 2

[FML]
Members
2,258 posts
11,452 battles

I am not certain that the Duke of York needs major buffs like that to be effective, let alone competitive. 

Still, I have found her to be terribly inaccurate. But that could be my fault, since I got the AA range mod over main battery accuracy mod. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie
Spelling.
  • Bad 1

[FML]
Members
2,258 posts
11,452 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

But my choice isn't between DoY and Graf Spee. My choice is between DoY and KGV. Between DoY and Nelson. Between DoY and Hood, Scharnhorst and Gneisenau. And in those cases, why would I pick DoY.

Currently, Duke of York has a higher win rate than KGV and Nelson. It also has a higher win rate and damage than Hood, Scharnhorst and Gneisenau. 

Sure, given the event and the small sample size (there are 3x more Nelson battles), the stats could be skewed towards better players. 

Nevertheless, all the other ships are more fun to play. That doesn't mean the DoY is ineffective or not competitive. 

[HINON]
Supertester
20,188 posts
13,641 battles
2 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

That doesn't mean the DoY is ineffective or not competitive. 

Being unambiguously worse than its free tech tree sister makes DoY uncompetitive.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,724 posts
4,278 battles

DoY is a worse KGV. Pure and simple. You can play KGV and get a better experience out of the battle than you would a DoY. 

It is also folly to compare a T6 heavy cruiser to a T7 battleship. The types and tier difference are incomparable.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,146 posts
11,247 battles

DoY is at her best with the artic camo resting semi perm in port

That and the key to unlock super cool looking visual artic camo on the Scharn is not complaining from me.

But the DoY will eat my Scharn's torps  in game!

Edit

Sorry my bad, forgot to mention that DoY only good for grinding for all the crates. After all crates collected, she now resting in Port; with historical value

Edited by ObiwankzKenobi

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,751 posts
14,214 battles

I am totally with you dog, but as to the $1000 what is the contest? Besides the thread title malfunction, the grammar, the lack of what the $1000 is for, comparing a tier 6 vs 7.....I feel you and agree 100%

Having a hard time with this "your opponent got the ship you didn’t want, which would you choose?" I lost, but I won....by my opponent choosing a quality tier 6 premium rather than tier 7 premium? Is that like a quadruple negative?

[INTEL]
Members
9,541 posts
27,167 battles

It's a free ship, it still performs well, and it has sexy white camo. What's not to like?

• Bad 1

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,751 posts
14,214 battles
4 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

It's a free ship, it still performs well, and it has sexy white camo. What's not to like?

Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so tired of "it's a free ship" If something takes you 5-50 hours to get, it isn't free!!!!!!!!!!  

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles
12 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I am totally with you dog, but as to the $1000 what is the contest? Besides the thread title malfunction, the grammar, the lack of what the $1000 is for, comparing a tier 6 vs 7.....I feel you and agree 100%

Having a hard time with this "your opponent got the ship you didn’t want, which would you choose?" I lost, but I won....by my opponent choosing a quality tier 6 premium rather than tier 7 premium? Is that like a quadruple negative?

It’s a completely hypothetical situation. I was comparing Spee and DOY because we both could get them for free during Christmas/New Years events.  Perhaps better wording would be in a 1v1 match of Duke v. Spee, which do you think would win? All things being equal, the person driving the Duke should win every time. My point is even though the Duke isn’t as good as its tier mates, she is still a more powerful ship than the one we got last year.

Edit: sorry for the weird formatting in the reply, not sure why it did that.

Edited by SavageTactical

[SYN]
Members
15,036 posts
11,529 battles

The Hydro can troll other ships, but then the guns will troll you.

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,302 posts
8,194 battles
40 minutes ago, Lert said:

If your choice is based purely on the criteria of the "most pew pew", then your choice will be very limited, among all t7 bbs. Why do people buy premiums? If the "most pew pew" were the only reason, then clearly, we would be in a race to the bottom of credible gameplay.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,302 posts
8,194 battles
5 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I am so tired of "it's a free ship" If something takes you 5-50 hours to get, it isn't free!!!!!!!!!!  

If you don't want the ship, don't grind for it. Simple.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,751 posts
14,214 battles
Just now, SavageTactical said:

It’s a completely hypothetical situation. I was comparing Spee and DOY because we both could get them for free during Christmas/New Years events.  Perhaps better wording would be in a 1v1 match of Duke v. Spee, which do you think would win? All things being equal, the person driving the Duke should win every time. My point is even though the Duke isn’t as good as its tier mates, she is still a more powerful ship than the one we got last year.

Fair enough, and I get where you are coming from now. It does make sense. From one that has spent to much money and time on this game it's to easy to judge.....I remember when I started playing and thought this was the greatest thing I ever won.....until I realized it was a Myoko with a crappy paint job. 

See the source image

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,298 posts
14,169 battles

I think LWM said it best, and others have alluded to herein.  If Ranked was running T7...don't bring DoY.  Clan battles?  Nope.  That doesn't make DoY a "bad" ship. It just means there are several better alternatives for "competitive" play.  Other than historical reasons, part of the allure of DoY is the fact she is spec'd a notch below the others.  It's a bit of a challenge to make her perform.  And she does have her own style...which is a bit of variety.  Oh...and I discovered a good captain build for DoY tends to work well with Lion.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles
42 minutes ago, Lert said:

That’s a fair question Lert. The answer to that is she really isn’t to people like us who have bought their own premiums. They say don’t look a gift horse in the mouth, but if you have a fine pony like the Scharnhorst in the stable a gift horse really doesn’t appeal to you. The point I was trying to make was that she is a gift horse, and she’s a better gift horse than we got last year. To make her interesting to people like us they should buff her in the ways I proposed. Just my 2 cents buddy.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,188 posts
13,641 battles
10 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

If your choice is based purely on the criteria of the "most pew pew", then your choice will be very limited, among all t7 bbs. Why do people buy premiums? If the "most pew pew" were the only reason, then clearly, we would be in a race to the bottom of credible gameplay.

I find all of the ones I listed more fun than DoY as well.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,302 posts
8,194 battles
1 minute ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I think LWM said it best, and others have alluded to herein.  If Ranked was running T7...don't bring DoY.  Clan battles?  Nope.  That doesn't make DoY a "bad" ship. It just means there are several better alternatives for "competitive" play.  Other than historical reasons, part of the allure of DoY is the fact she is spec'd a notch below the others.  It's a bit of a challenge to make her perform.  And she does have her own style...which is a bit of variety.  Oh...and I discovered a good captain build for DoY tends to work well with Lion.

to put that in perspective, how many dds are considered viable for ranked? (only 2 right now). How many t8 bbs are viable for ranked? (maybe 3 at most). How many cvs are viable? (none).

Spoiler

Of course, no t7s are viable for ranked right now, because this season is tier 8 :Smile_popcorn:

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,751 posts
14,214 battles
11 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

If you don't want the ship, don't grind for it. Simple.

Who said anything about wanting the ship? I simply point out that it isn't free. And if your argument is that is free, then is the Missouri free? Because if you don't value your time at all...then I guess "it's free".....

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,302 posts
8,194 battles
Just now, Sweetsie said:

Who said anything about wanting the ship? I simply point out that it isn't free. And if your argument is that is free, then is the Missouri free? Because if you don't value your time at all...then I guess "it's free".....

this is a game, not a job.. (get out, see some clear sky, go for a walk, breathe some fresh air, remember what life is about..)

[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,249 battles
18 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

If you are already playing the game to the level required to grind out the achievements, it is effectively free.  The perma-camos for the tier 6's and their tech tree cost in the New Year's Raid missions was also free if you look at it that way.

[JASH]
Members
3,625 posts
9,564 battles
53 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Currently, Duke of York has a higher win rate than KGV and Nelson. It also has a higher win rate and damage than Hood, Scharnhorst and Gneisenau. 

Sure, given the event and the small sample size (there are 3x more Nelson battles), the stats could be skewed towards better players. 

Nevertheless, all the other ships are more fun to play. That doesn't mean the DoY is ineffective or not competitive. 

Sample sizes and context, such as mainly what kind of players are playing the ship, matter.