You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

The Pall (Part 1)

17 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,323 posts

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part4 Part 5

A pall had drifted over the forest. Something was wrong but nobody knew exactly what. Things seemed normal enough but something wasn't quite right. Even the mighty @HazardDrake felt a stirring of dread. The Snargfargle sat and pondered. He hadn't felt a disturbance this great in the biosphere for hundreds of years, and that was when the @Kizarvexis volcano system erupted. He called upon the eldritch power of the Staff of Ages but it could not detect the cause of the disturbance. “A lot of good you are, old friend,” the Snargfargle chuckled. 

He would have to seek the assistance of the humans. “The humans.” The Snargfargle chuckled again. “When did I start considering myself other than human?”, he thought. “Of course, I guess that they would not recognize me such, for when I was born we were not yet what is now considered “human.” “They have evolved in one direction, while the Staff of Ages has kept me alive and changed me in another.” “They probably don't even see me now as one of their own.” The Snargfargle knew well that the modern humans considered him a god, but he didn't dwell on such nonsense. How he had come to possess the Staff of Ages, which he had carried for nearly an aeon, is another story.

The @Elegant_Winter turned into an even more elegant Spring. Flowers were blooming. An @EAGLESQUAD1 was rebuilding a nest in the same tree where their ancestors had nested for over a thousand years. The Snargfargle recalled that he, himself, had planted that very tree when a landslide had denuded that part of The Forest. How many trees had he planted over the years? The Snargfargle had never really thought on this but there were entire forests that had their beginnings in a small grove that he had planted to amuse himself. Not The Forest, mind you, though the Snargfargle was an integral part of its ecosystem. The Forest was even older than the Snargfargle, and was here when he first ventured to the continent during the previous Age of Ice, long before Man was to set foot on it.

The Snargfargle pondered on those millennia he had spend alone and the strange beasts, now long gone, that had once roamed The Forest. Among them the @RedSeaBears and their translucent subspecies, the @BearlyHereBears. He also thought about those the strange elemental beings, the @Corrossyph. When the Sargfargle was young, his tribe had once worshiped these mountain elementals, but he had not seen one in untold ages.

Little did he know that during all those years of loneliness, he was being watched, for the @Alien_Observers had been monitoring the planet for tens of thousands of years. They classified the observation of humanity as the @X07PROJECT. The Observers were an ancient civilization with colonies that spanned many star systems. But they only observed and never interfered, letting nature take its course until a species developed interstellar ships. The current Observer, @NCC81701, sat in his cloaked ship and watched the Snargfargle examining his staff. He wondered if the large, green creature understood just what he had there? That staff incorporated technology from beings even older and more powerful than the Observers. Even they didn't know the staff's full potential, but they knew that it was something very powerful indeed. Perhaps this being was the one who would lead humanity to the stars? The Observer searched the data file on the Snargfargle. Hmm, it appeared that this being had once before led humanity to a new age by teaching them about fire. In fact, in human myth he was known by a name other than “Snargfargle,” in those ancient writings, he was Prometheus.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[NDA]
Supertester
5,257 posts
15,806 battles

I have been summoned.......I'm not gone its winter, I'm hibernating.

Also if you don't read the manual on that staff you're going to have a hard time. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
8,127 battles
8 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

A pall had drifted over the forest. Something was wrong but nobody knew exactly what. Things seemed normal enough but something wasn't quite right. Even the mighty @HazardDrake felt a stirring of dread. The Snargfargle sat and pondered. He hadn't felt a disturbance this great in the biosphere for hundreds of years, and that was when the @Kizarvexis volcano system erupted. He called upon the eldritch power of the Staff of Ages but it could not detect the cause of the disturbance. “A lot of good you are, old friend,” the Snargfargle chuckled. 

He would have to seek the assistance of the humans. “The humans.” The Snargfargle chuckled again. “When did I start considering myself other than human?”, he thought. “Of course, I guess that they would not recognized me such, for when I was born we were not yet what is now considered “human.” “They have evolved in one direction, while the Staff of Ages has kept me alive and changed me in another.” “They probably don't even see me now as one of their own.” The Snargfargle knew well that the modern humans considered him a god, but he didn't dwell on such nonsense. How he had come to possess the Staff of Ages, which he had carried for nearly an aeon, is another story.

The @Elegant_Winter turned into an even more elegant Spring. Flowers were blooming. An @EAGLESQUAD1 was rebuilding a nest in the same tree where their ancestors had nested for over a thousand years. The Snargfargle recalled that he, himself, had planted that very tree when a landslide had denuded that part of The Forest. How many trees had he planted over the years? The Snargfargle had never really thought on this but there were entire forests that had their beginnings in a small grove that he planted to amuse himself. Not The Forest, mind you, though the Snargfargle was an integral part of its ecosystem. The Forest was even older than the Snargfargle, and was here when he first ventured to the continent during the previous Age of Ice, long before Man was to set foot on it.

The Snargfargle pondered on those millennia he had spend alone and the strange beasts, now long gone, that had once roamed The Forest. Among them the @RedSeaBears and their translucent subspecies, the @BearlyHereBear s. He also thought about those the strange elemental beings, the @Corrossyph . When the Sargfargle was young his tribe had once worshiped these mountain elementals, but he had not seen one in untold ages.

Little did he know that during all those years of loneliness, he was being watched, for the @Alien_Observers had been monitoring the planet for tens of thousands of years. They classified the observation of humanity as the @X07PROJECT .  The Observers were an ancient civilization with colonies that spanned many star systems. But they only observed and never interfered, letting nature take its course until a species developed interstellar ships. The current Observer, @NCC81701 , sat in his cloaked ship and watched the Snargfargle examining his staff. He wondered if the large, green creature understood just what he had there? That staff incorporated technology from beings even older and more powerful than the Observers. Even they didn't know the staff's full potential, but they knew that it was something very powerful indeed. Perhaps this creature was the one who would lead humanity to the stars? The Observer looked through his notes on the Snargfargle. Hmm, it appeared that his creature had once before led humanity to a new age by teaching them about fire. In fact, in human myth he was known by a name other than “Snargfargle,” in those ancient writings he was Prometheus.

Crowd goes wild, buying tickets for next show.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,323 posts
2 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

Also if you don't read the manual on that staff you're going to have a hard time. 

Does Dr. Who fully understand the Tardis?

[PVE]
Members
16,049 posts
10,655 battles
3 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

[NDA]
Supertester
5,257 posts
15,806 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Does Dr. Who fully understand the Tardis?

Dr.Who doesn't fully understand Dr.Who.

This is why a user manual was created. The old one got tired of their works being misused and misunderstood. What good is leaving an all powerful creation if no one can use it to its full potential?  

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,323 posts
1 hour ago, Jazzyblaster said:

This was amazing, looking forward to part 2. 

I have Part II done but will wait until tomorrow to post it so as to let the evening forum crowd have a chance to read the first part, well, first. I'm champing at the bit to post it though. I think that this must be what real authors feel when they write actual books.

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles
22 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I have Part II done but will wait until tomorrow to post it so as to let the evening forum crowd have a chance to read the first part, well, first. I'm champing at the bit to post it though. I think that this must be what real authors feel when they write actual books.

I understand. I'm not sure if you've posted it yet, but when you do, could you post a link here? Many thanks.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,323 posts
1 minute ago, Jazzyblaster said:

I understand. I'm not sure if you've posted it yet, but when you do, could you post a link here? Many thanks.

If you haven't already, please read  Part 1 Part 2 Part 3.

Edited by Snargfargle

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,323 posts
4 minutes ago, Jazzyblaster said:

Many thanks for the links @Snargfargle, I enjoy reading your writings and song parodies. :)

Thank you!

Part 4 is coming up shortly. I'll quote you a link.

It will be clear in Part 4 where I'm heading with this story. I wonder if anyone has figured it out yet? 

Edited by Snargfargle

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,323 posts
1 hour ago, Jazzyblaster said: