Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

Targeting Priorities for Dummies (tm)

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

942
[HEROS]
Members
1,745 posts
15,234 battles

honestly this isn't as simple as I wish it was.

    What target to shoot at.   

       First of ignore the ship type.  Not because it's not important, but because thats a gunnery matter.  this is just about target selection.

Whats important in target selection can be bailed down to some very simple parameters.

     1. What target is closest

     2.What target is most threatening

     3.Which target can I hit most effectively

None of these is more important then any other per say.  It all depends on the situation your in, the condition of your ship, and of course where your guns may all ready be pointed.

more often then not the most important target is the one that is closest.  Several reason for this.  The closer you are the easier it is to hit, and be hit.  But you have a choice.. Say  BB, a CA, and a DD.. all the same range, all broadside to you.  Say your in a battleship.  Were it me, the DD would be the priority because 4-6 torpedos will sink me..4 to 6 main guns shells are not as likely to do so.   then come the question of "hit effectively" if I fire a BB's guns at a DD and everything over pens I'm still going to cause 1k or there abouts per hit of damage to the DD which is a significant amount of unrepairable damage out of a 8-20k HP pool depending on tier.  Damage a BB would turn it nose up at and ignore  can easily leave a DD nearly or all the way sunk, and  cruiser seriously wanting to be elsewhere..quickly.

Generally you want to hit the target that is closest almost all ways, unless there is a particularly vulnerable target that is easier to hit due to target angle.  You will mostly be looking to fire on targets you can do the best damage to, or out right eliminate.  Sunk ships  cannot shoot new targets!  

 You should be constantly re-evaluating your targets.  if a ship is about to no longer be taking good damage then you should all ready have your next target considered and be swinging the guns to bear.   look at the ships on your team and who's being fired on by what. If they're shooting at someone else they're unlikely to notice your shooting at them until the shells hit home.. and then ideally they notice real hard!

Good targetting selection can deeply influence the flow in a round.  ships are operated by human players who are guided by their own perception of whats happening a in a match.  Being shot at and hit changes that perception.  Humans tend to handle change poorly in the short term more often then not and it take them a very great deal of experience to get past that point.  What you do in match can effect that directly and can encourage players to make errors that your team hopefully can capitalize on.

Of course you can always go with "if it moves shoot it, and if its not moving, shoot it twice!" (which does work!)

Go forth and practice, and expect to make mistakes because you will make mistakes.  Learn from them and you'll make a lot less of them as time goes on.  

if you get what I'm trying get across very cool, I expect to be sunk by you eventually! If it makes no sense to you at all, you maybe playing the wrong computer game.

Apologies for the word count.  we're simulating war in this game and in war even the simple is difficult.

 

 

 

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
819 posts
13,627 battles
33 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

 1. What target is closest

     2.What target is most threatening

     3.Which target can I hit most effectively

4. Which target is in range and I can finish off....taking his guns out of the fight.

This is slightly different than number 3, as number 3 can just be a cruiser in range of my BB guns.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
540
[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
1,263 posts

from recent perspectives I think it is closer to...

1. what do I need to fulfill my current mission.

2. is it right on top of me and in danger of sinking me right now this very second.

3. doesnt exist in the game. who cares about winning, I need to kill X. I'm glad if most of my team dies because that means less competition for trying to get my mission done.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,576
[NGAGE]
Members
3,798 posts
8,917 battles

A major reason to shoot at destroyers is to put pressure on them and make them leave yours alone or leave the cap.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
995 posts
1,871 battles

target pryority changes as to which class you are playing and what role you are profiling as that class. for instance my target pryority in a battleship is 

1. the biggest threat to my CL/CA/DDs

2. what has the most health/what is giving me the best angle

3. the biggest threat to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
534 posts
8,093 battles
50 minutes ago, Dareios said:

from recent perspectives I think it is closer to...

1. what do I need to fulfill my current mission.

2. is it right on top of me and in danger of sinking me right now this very second.

3. doesnt exist in the game. who cares about winning, I need to kill X. I'm glad if most of my team dies because that means less competition for trying to get my mission done.

 

If you are letting missions determine your targeting priorities then you are doing it all wrong.

Wins > Missions.

...

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
2 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

Say  BB, a CA, and a DD.. all the same range, all broadside to you.  Say your in a battleship.  Were it me, the DD would be the priority because 4-6 torpedos will sink me..4 to 6 main guns shells are not as likely to do so.   then come the question of "hit effectively" if I fire a BB's guns at a DD and everything over pens I'm still going to cause 1k or there abouts per hit of damage to the DD which is a significant amount of unrepairable damage out of a 8-20k HP pool depending on tier.  Damage a BB would turn it nose up at and ignore  can easily leave a DD nearly or all the way sunk, and  cruiser seriously wanting to be elsewhere..quickly

This bears emphasis.  It could also be added that from a purely selfish standpoint, XP is based on the percentage of damage you do to a particular ship.  Doing 2k damage to a destroyer with a total HP pool of 18k is better for you than doing 6k damage to a battleship with a pool of 80k.

The one modifier to this would be range (which is part of #3 above).  If each of these ships are 14km away, you're almost certainly going to be better off shooting at the cruiser or battleship because you're much more likely to score significant hits on them at that range.  If each of these ships are 6km away, then first of all you made some poor life decisions in this game & second the destroyer is by far the best target for the reasons quoted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,936
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,242 posts
12,458 battles

I would cut it down to "What is the most threatening ship I can hit effectively?" which will cover almost all of your targeting decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,219
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,901 posts
17,559 battles
2 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

honestly this isn't as simple as I wish it was.

Few things are Amigo!

2 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

Whats important in target selection can be bailed down to some very simple parameters.

     1. What target is closest

     2.What target is most threatening

     3.Which target can I hit most effectively

I usually try to locate the red ship with the lowest health, so I can remove his guns from the game. After that, as a DD player, I look for ships which can and will remove our scouts from the match.

2 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

Generally you want to hit the target that is closest almost all ways, unless there is a particularly vulnerable target that is easier to hit due to target angle.  You will mostly be looking to fire on targets you can do the best damage to, or out right eliminate.  Sunk ships  cannot shoot new targets! 

Exactly!

1 hour ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

If you are letting missions determine your targeting priorities then you are doing it all wrong.

Then a lot of players are doing it wrong this weekend, LOL! It's a YOLO circus out there right now!

I must confess, if I'm in a DD with decent guns, something Russian, German, or IJN (yes, IJN, believe it or not) I will look for red cruisers sitting sideways to me and wreck their day. I may not kill them, but I will definitely make them remember where they are. I realize that is selfish (payback to all those cruisers who have wrecked me) but it sure is a helluva lotta fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
540
[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
1,263 posts
1 hour ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

 

If you are letting missions determine your targeting priorities then you are doing it all wrong.

Wins > Missions.

...

my point exactly

sarcastic post was sarcastic :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
534 posts
8,093 battles
34 minutes ago, Dareios said:

my point exactly

sarcastic post was sarcastic :)

 

Gah, sarcasm detection failure...my bad.

Sadly I have seen too many players in game focusing on missions to the detriment of the team.

...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
942
[HEROS]
Members
1,745 posts
15,234 battles

Glad to see folk's be thinking about it!  It's a skill that's as much art as science.  But that's because those are human players over there  (shooting bots requires slightly different priorities). Once targets start taking fire they react to the fire and that's where the art comes in   Using fire on a target to get them to do something foolish.  Never assume it'll happen, but it's almost all ways worthy of a salvo to see if they do twitch wrong.

Play to win, Victory never needs a justification, but defeat tends to breed the ugly stuff.  

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

All this "effective" stuff....

How about "efficient"? The amount of BBs I see wasting full salvos to kill secure targets that are on fire, flooding, and dead in 3...2...FULL OMFGWTF REALLY FULL AP BB SALVO? ..Is dreadful. Then they turn around and complain about how long their reloads are! Derp McGurp here for his brain injection Doctor....

I get that seeing that Ship Kill ribbon is the most exciting thing that is going to happen to you today, but for the love of Pete, think people.

Edited by Canadatron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×