You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Clarifying question on captain retraining/mysterious Russian captain.

14 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
8,789 posts
5,919 battles

My situaiton is this - I have no premium ships in mainline tech trees (I have Vampire, but she is useless in this regard), so when I move my captains up, I suffer the usual deficit while I work off their retraining XP. Now that this is in the region of tens of thousands, I'm more than happy to pay the 200K silver it takes to make it halfway.

The crux is this - the skills are alleged to work at 50% while this is underway, but some of them are hampered (i.e. instead of an X% gain in some metric you would get 50% of X) and some of them do not work at all (I believe Last Stand is one of these). Is there a list somewhere of which is which?

I got to thinking about this mostly because I stepped up from the Bogatyr to the Svietlana last night, and in the course of moving the Bogatyr's captain into reserve, I found a nice, shiny 10-point Russian captain I didn't even realise was there. He was supposedly trained on the Orlan, but I can't for the life of me remember playing enough games in the Orlan before getting rid of her, and my Russian progression is strictly limited to Orlan-Novik-Bogatyr-Svietlana, so I can't think of anything I ever had that Wargaming compensated me for when something got deleted. Where has this strange 10 point captain come from?

Obviously I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth - I promptly bought the Svietlana without a captain and put him straight into it, and now I am thinking long and hard about what skills to give him while I wait for the retraining grind to end. When he is done, he will never be moving up (I won't play post-revolution ships, which the Svietlana - with the blue St Andrew's Cross flag - just escapes being), so I can optimise him for the ship he's currently in - and more importantly optimise the ship as a seal/bot-clubbing damage grinder to get him up to 19 points without any further interruptions for retraining (I am free-to-play).

My intended build is Priority Target, Last Stand, BFT, AFT - I am under the impression that BFT and AFT will work at reduced efficiency during retraining while the others will not.

Clarification and advice for discussion welcome.

[-ARP-]
Supertester
11,949 posts
4,371 battles

4 Starring one of the Operations rewarded a 10 point Russian captain.

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
168 posts
3,937 battles

Cthulhu, (btw that rocks).   I think there are many here that can help you but I'm not sure if the question is  relating to list of 50% retraining or commander skill build for your Svietlana.  You provide good detail but the  question is murky. Maybe I'm just missing the larger picture.

As an aside I agree with the post-revolution idea.  Enjoy.

[WOLF4]
Members
78 posts
4,591 battles

You so crazy....not going above T4?  To each their own, but you are going to miss out on some fun ships.

If you ever do move up, bring your captain with you.  Don't make the mistake that I did and train multiple capts, spreading all that XP around instead of building up to 19 points with one of them.  You can always go back and build up a servicable, dedicated captain for your favorite lower tier ships, and it's much easier once you have a 19 point captain stockpiling free captain XP for you.

Members
381 posts
25 battles

Is there a list? I think not. But if you hover your mouse over each skill it tell if skill work 50% or not at all.

General rule of thumb is if you can divide the effect of the skill then it work during retraining. Thing like BFT AFT can be. But PT, LS cannot be halve, so not work at all.

Orlan captain likely come from Operation as mentioned.

BFT and AFT will work at reduced efficiency during retraining while the others will not. <<<Right.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,891 posts

When I start out a captain in a new line (tiers 1-4), and I have a spare or 'free' captain from the operations...

I move the captain to the new ship, and select NO TRAINING (always in the Orange training color)...   and then....

If it a free 10 point captain, I select only those skills that give 50% during retraining. 

Note that many skills are simply disabled during retraining.

Expert Marksman is a 50% reduction -- pick that.

Torpedo Armament is another 50% -- pick that

Concealment Expert -- 50% -- that one too.

So you don't end up with full capability, but you get something.  And if you are flying through low XP ships faster than you can retrain them..  Moving the captain to the new ship just resets the counter to zero.  And most importantly, it costs zero to do that.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,751 posts
14,214 battles

keep in mind everything in this game is designed for you to spend money, or doubloons, you do that, you can easily get your captain to 100% of his skills or move to different ships or ......otherwise its a time and effort grind.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,789 posts
5,919 battles
4 hours ago, Goose21891 said:

4 Starring one of the Operations rewarded a 10 point Russian captain.

Aha, so that's where he's from. Excellent. That's that question answered.

4 hours ago, Hiro804 said:

Cthulhu, (btw that rocks).   I think there are many here that can help you but I'm not sure if the question is  relating to list of 50% retraining or commander skill build for your Svietlana.  You provide good detail but the  question is murky. Maybe I'm just missing the larger picture.

As an aside I agree with the post-revolution idea.  Enjoy.

It was related to the retraining; I mentioned my commander skill build so people could tell me which would work and which would not.

4 hours ago, Paulbearer82 said:

You so crazy....not going above T4?  To each their own, but you are going to miss out on some fun ships.

If you ever do move up, bring your captain with you.  Don't make the mistake that I did and train multiple capts, spreading all that XP around instead of building up to 19 points with one of them.  You can always go back and build up a servicable, dedicated captain for your favorite lower tier ships, and it's much easier once you have a 19 point captain stockpiling free captain XP for you.

I have no love at all for the former Soviet Union, and will not play their ships (Tsarist Russia was hardly saintly, I know, but IMO it was by far the lesser of the two evils), nor will I play German ships after the early 1920s, Italians, or Japanese after WW1. Yeah, call me crazy. Whatever.

When I was grinding towards the Vampire, I was very grateful I had two eligible ships (Danae and Emerald) with serviceable (at least three-point) captains that I could swap in and out. So I can see your point of view, but I can also perceive reasons for doing otherwise. I currently have T4 to T7 ships for future challenges of this kind. My issue with moving the captain up is that he has to spend many thousands of XP doing nothing and not contributing to the capabilities of his ship. This is why I am hoping for a more achievable British Premium ship sometime this year (I tried for the DOY, but being forced to earn Dreadnought or High Calibre multiple times through not having a T5 BB was a bottleneck I knew I wasn't going to get past.)

3 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

When I start out a captain in a new line (tiers 1-4), and I have a spare or 'free' captain from the operations...

I move the captain to the new ship, and select NO TRAINING (always in the Orange training color)...   and then....

If it a free 10 point captain, I select only those skills that give 50% during retraining. 

Note that many skills are simply disabled during retraining.

Expert Marksman is a 50% reduction -- pick that.

Torpedo Armament is another 50% -- pick that

Concealment Expert -- 50% -- that one too.

So you don't end up with full capability, but you get something.  And if you are flying through low XP ships faster than you can retrain them..  Moving the captain to the new ship just resets the counter to zero.  And most importantly, it costs zero to do that.

The difficulty comes if some of those skills are not skills I want first (or at all). Svietlana is a gunboat, and I don't see the torpedo armament expertise skill worth spending points on. Better to get BFT and AFT which will work at reduced efficiency, using what boost I get to help get to the retraining mark sooner. The Svietlana is as high as I go in the Russian line, so he will be my XP grinder.

3 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

keep in mind everything in this game is designed for you to spend money, or doubloons, you do that, you can easily get your captain to 100% of his skills or move to different ships or ......otherwise its a time and effort grind.

The game may be designed that way, but I am a hardcore outlier. I'm looking with a sense of mild horror at the million XP I need to get the first captain to Fleet Admiral, but on the other hand I am well aware of the compounding effect he has on others once he is there.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,751 posts
14,214 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The game may be designed that way, but I am a hardcore outlier. I'm looking with a sense of mild horror at the million XP I need to get the first captain to Fleet Admiral, but on the other hand I am well aware of the compounding effect he has on others once he is there.

and stay that way!!!!!!!!!!!!! I played 2000 games before I even realized you could spend money on this game, or there was a forum.... damn pop up ad said "play for free" and I said, why not......embarrassed to admit my expenditures on this game.....

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
402 posts
4,308 battles

I have a German capt. I got from an op a while ago. He just got his 17th point today, sadly, the only German ships I own are derpitz, sharny, and eugen...he floats among them until I grind the kms line.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,789 posts
5,919 battles
4 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

and stay that way!!!!!!!!!!!!! I played 2000 games before I even realized you could spend money on this game, or there was a forum.... damn pop up ad said "play for free" and I said, why not......embarrassed to admit my expenditures on this game.....

So far, mine can be measured only in time. I have been tempted once or twice, but have resisted. My 7yo offspring adores bats and I am Australian, and if I hadn't got the Vampire in missions I might have been tempted to buy her. But otherwise no. Frankly, every time I see the HUUUUGE lists some people put up of ships they have won in game for nothing, my determination not to spend money on this game is strengthened.

2 minutes ago, toosonmike said:

I have a German capt. I got from an op a while ago. He just got his 17th point today, sadly, the only German ships I own are derpitz, sharny, and eugen...he floats among them until I grind the kms line.

Oh man, I can't wait to see the levels of sealclubbing that could ensue from having a 17 point captain in a Hermelin...

(Your statement seems to imply that having a premium ship of a certain type at a certain tier does NOT unlock all ships of that type in that tier and under; i.e. if I had won the Duke of York, it would not automatically unlock the Orion, Iron Duke, QE or KGV.)

• Funny 1

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,751 posts
14,214 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

So far, mine can be measured only in time. I have been tempted once or twice, but have resisted. My 7yo offspring adores bats and I am Australian, and if I hadn't got the Vampire in missions I might have been tempted to buy her. But otherwise no. Frankly, every time I see the HUUUUGE lists some people put up of ships they have won in game for nothing, my determination not to spend money on this game is strengthened.

I will say this, the premiums and premium time help with credits and xp but I enjoy doing well in tech tree ships 3x than I do in premiums.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,789 posts
5,919 battles
19 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I will say this, the premiums and premium time help with credits and xp but I enjoy doing well in tech tree ships 3x than I do in premiums.

I mostly want just one (of any type, at any tier) in each of the US and (particularly) British lines so my captains can work off their retraining penance in ships their skills are functional in (until such time as I can grind out a nineteen-pointer; then he can pay for their retraining). I'm prepared to deal with the imbalance in skill sets that might at times ensue.

I realised only too late that I should have dropped everything else during the Halloween missions and just ground the heck out of those - we were after all given 19-point commanders and allowed to keep the elite commander XP they earned, and if the implications of that had sunk in a bit better, I'd have made more use of the opportunities, win or lose. I wonder if I will get my first "native" 19-pointer before Halloween 2018 rolls around...

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,751 posts
14,214 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I mostly want just one (of any type, at any tier) in each of the US and (particularly) British lines so my captains can work off their retraining penance in ships their skills are functional in (until such time as I can grind out a nineteen-pointer; then he can pay for their retraining). I'm prepared to deal with the imbalance in skill sets that might at times ensue.

I realised only too late that I should have dropped everything else during the Halloween missions and just ground the heck out of those - we were after all given 19-point commanders and allowed to keep the elite commander XP they earned, and if the implications of that had sunk in a bit better, I'd have made more use of the opportunities, win or lose. I wonder if I will get my first "native" 19-pointer before Halloween 2018 rolls around...

Don't worry about it, you are infinitely ahead of the game. I treated this game like some crappy phone ap game for 2000 games cause it was "play for free" I was damn near a 35% player until I cracked my wallet last year on those damn Santa crates....try to do something that is hard for me, enjoy the game win or lose....