Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Brhinosaurus

Torpedo damage mechanics queston

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,169
[R-F]
Members
1,547 posts
9,130 battles

Hit a Fletcher with 3 Gearing torps at medium range.  Fletcher was in smoke so I don't know what his orientation was, but he must have been broadside-ish for more than one torp to hit him.  How did I only do 16k damage?  I've seen the gif of the saturated ship taking a full spread of torps in the exact same area for not much damage, but given the range and the angle I don't see how this could have happened here.

fletcher.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,879
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,090 posts
12,338 battles

Damage saturation and while it is a game function there are many historical actions where this happened too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,169
[R-F]
Members
1,547 posts
9,130 battles

But damage saturation is based on areas of the ship, right?  So I would have had to have landed all three torps on the tip of the bow or the stern or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
153
[BLUE_]
Members
443 posts
16,631 battles
12 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

But damage saturation is based on areas of the ship, right?  So I would have had to have landed all three torps on the tip of the bow or the stern or something.

This. All 3 torps landed in the same place of the target.

This will sound like bulls*. But damage saturation on ships was/is REALLY an IRL thing. Unfortunatelly i won't remember them (someone help!)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
819 posts
13,578 battles

Damage saturation was real...to a point. When something explodes it does cause additional stress to the metal. In the case of torpedoes it re-opens holes, makes them wider, and in some cases breaks the ship in half when the keel cannot handle the stress.

I don't mind the saturation model in theory, but I would love to see saturated areas still take like 5-10% damage because the hit would add stress to the ship as a whole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,879
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,090 posts
12,338 battles
1 minute ago, Prothall said:

Damage saturation was real...to a point. When something explodes it does cause additional stress to the metal. In the case of torpedoes it re-opens holes, makes them wider, and in some cases breaks the ship in half when the keel cannot handle the stress.

I don't mind the saturation model in theory, but I would love to see saturated areas still take like 5-10% damage because the hit would add stress to the ship as a whole.

This isn't a sim so the current mechanic does a good job of for lack of a better word simulating it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
186
[HSD]
Members
490 posts
10,873 battles
55 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

But damage saturation is based on areas of the ship, right?  So I would have had to have landed all three torps on the tip of the bow or the stern or something.

If he was broadside when he ate the torps the probable explanation was he was moving at speed with enough of an angle relative to the torps that they hit staggered and all hit the same location (probably stern).

 

         |__________>    (DD moving from left to right)

                         /\

                                 /\

                                           /\

 

Not exactly the most elegant visual aid but hopefully you get what I mean.

Edited by Meatshield_No13
  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,169
[R-F]
Members
1,547 posts
9,130 battles
1 hour ago, Meatshield_No13 said:

If he was broadside when he ate the torps the probable explanation was he was moving at speed with enough of an angle relative to the torps that they hit staggered and all hit the same location (probably stern).

 

         |__________>    (DD moving from left to right)

                         /\

                                 /\

                                           /\

 

Not exactly the most elegant visual aid but hopefully you get what I mean.

yeah, that must have been what happened.  Angles and relative motion must have been just right.  Very odd...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,879
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,090 posts
12,338 battles

Now imagine the target ship after that going "HOLY [EXPLICATIVE DELETED] HOW THE HELL AM I STILL HERE?" .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
20 posts
3,828 battles

Everyone is failing to see the big picture here.  He was killed by a player named "WelcomeToJupiter", and he was using the Neptune. Get it....Do you get it??? See what i did there? lol.  Sorry...just thought it was funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
355 posts
11,730 battles
11 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Now imagine the target ship after that going "HOLY [EXPLICATIVE DELETED] HOW THE HELL AM I STILL HERE?" .

That is every ship that has been hit by a full spread of Marblehead torps.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,879
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,090 posts
12,338 battles
6 minutes ago, bigalow87 said:

That is every ship that has been hit by a full spread of Marblehead torps.....

Omaha class torps are really only for targets of opportunity. Trying to use them offensively is the fast track back to port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
355 posts
11,730 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Omaha class torps are really only for targets of opportunity. Trying to use them offensively is the fast track back to port.

That is assuming someone is stupid enough to run into torps that only do 48 knts. Not many have...and your reward for getting a hit, 2500 damage...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×