You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dareios

why are there so many AFKs??

59 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
13,939 posts
8,984 battles
15 minutes ago, Thraxian said:

1) So don't hit 'battle' if you have somewhere to go in the next 10-20 minutes.

1) Kids getting sick or waking up crying after nightmares, people knocking on the door or calling on the phone when there's nobody else able to answer it, doctors and others on call who want to play and suddenly get paged... LIFE GETS IN THE WAY SOMETIMES, and it cannot always be predicted. Deal with it, have some compassion for people whose circumstances you do not know, and don't you dare presume to be the arbiter of what game mode they are or are not allowed to play.

I try to apologise or explain (e.g. "AFK Kids") if I have to leave for those reasons. If I get disconnected, I hope to get into the game before it's over to say what happened, even if my ship has already been sunk. (Sometimes it hasn't been, and twice I've caught someone dead to rights who thought they had a helpless target and closed to spitting distance for the kill.) If my lag times are horrible (hundreds of milliseconds), I warn my teammates at the start about this so they will know why I'm suddenly "out" if that happens.

This is why I don't report AFK players. Ever. I wish WG would remove it as a reason for reporting someone.

[HEROS]
Members
1,733 posts
15,103 battles
1 hour ago, Thraxian said:

Late loaders seem to be here for good. What gets me is how many of them feel DD's are the best choice to load 3 minutes into a game....

Umm well, I can answer that for the DD players...but your not going to like the answer  just say'n!

The simple reason the DD drivers don't mind spawning late is to see if maybe there's some BB drivers that know to point their ships at the bad guys and drive toward them.for more then 60 seconds befor turning around and running for the back side of the map...to snipe you know..  we DD drivers get awfully tired of leading the charge only to find we're charging alone.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,281 posts
6,138 battles

Lag and random disconnects have been a problem for many of us for some time now. I just finished off a cruiser in Tirpitz with full health targeted a DD with secondaries and suddenly disconnected black screen etc... returned to watch me finish sinking after DD torped me as a sitting duck..

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
1,249 posts
5 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

The simple reason the DD drivers don't mind spawning late is to see if maybe there's some BB drivers that know to point their ships at the bad guys and drive toward them.for more then 60 seconds befor turning around and running for the back side of the map...to snipe you know..  we DD drivers get awfully tired of leading the charge only to find we're charging alone.

unfortunately this leads to a circular argument/gameplay where the BBs DO camp the back BECASUE there isnt forward DD scouting.

Members
14 posts
4,946 battles

For all you that are running high end computer make sure that you are not using any kind of search engine as GOOGLE this is why??   been building since computers where invented do alot of DOS stuff...

GOOGLE has an update program that runs in back ground that watches what your are doing uses about 10% of your bandwith and up too 30 percent of ram!! i am runnign an old socket 775 asus unit 2 gig video 4 giigs of ram and dont have an issue and run a cleaning program on my unit every day...

remember this windows 8 and 10 where disigned for phones not computers

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
8,193 battles
53 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

That sounds a lot more like packet loss and if are not pausing then it is likely on the red players connection

I haven't heard of that before. It really throws me off because I'll aim at them and they aren't moving. I have to wait 3-5 seconds before I fire and they are already shooting at me.

[4HIM]
Members
2,588 posts
8,656 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

If you have the Game Center always close it out through the system tray after the game starts

I just don't have it.  Don't want it.  Zero benefit to using it.  And it's just one more bit of code that has a chance to crash or conflict with something else. 

[WOLF7]
Members
12,235 posts
3 hours ago, Dareios said:

Im rage quitting this game for a while.

6 games in a row, ie... all of them, had a minimum of 2 full-game afks, and at least one 'takes 5 minutes to load in and find the W key'. And so very, very often, it's the vital to the team must get early start DD(s) that dont load and allow the reds to get full vision and cap control without contest. I gave up after the 5 DD/side match, where 3 shimas didnt start and the team went out backwards in 4.5 minutes. How is the average player supposed to turn a 9vs12 match?

and why is it so prevalent? I challenge people to come up with worse gaming conditions than me (webs 1.5 down, 0.19 up), and most computer components 2010 era. Yet I DC about once a month and get back in within a minute? what is happening to all these other people that I never see?

75k xp grind x 4? Only way for the majority of the playerbase to complete the mission is to afk/bot.:Smile_amazed:

Beta Testers
52 posts
647 battles
2 hours ago, Thraxian said:

How crappy does your hardware have to be to take well over a minute to load in?

Besides, you're wrong if the AFK player is in a DD or CV. It can mean a huge difference to not have anyone spotting for the team.

Hardware is most commonly NOT the reason for late load ins.  Internet traffic has increased over 20x's since the iDiot phone craze started.  No matter how good a pc you have the ISP fast as it is gets bogged down and that can be an area only issue depending on the ISP equipment available.  So arguing about who has the best potato is a dummies quest.

Laptop users are usually more to blame in this regard as they add in that idiot wifi crap to an already bogged ISP.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,452 posts
22,911 battles

Client is a mess. I get every 5th game or so kicked back to the loading screen when the battle starts. If people don't have a SSD it may take them 3-4 minutes to load again.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,688 posts

I built my system almost ten years ago and haven't upgraded it much since. It's an AMD 3-based system with a Phenom II CPU and what is now a decidedly underpowered video card (Radeon 6850). Furthermore, I'm on a very slow ADSL connection (5 Mbps), However, I almost never have loading trouble. In fact, there are only a couple of times I've had problems loading into the game or have been kicked out or it in over 5500 matches.

So, how can I have what is essentially a perfect connection to the game while those with the latest computers and 50 Mbps connections can not? 

Home networks give priority to mobile devices, especially smartphones. If Mom, Dad, Brother and Sister are on their tablets and iPhones then your gaming computer is going to be last in line when it comes to routing priority. I found that I was having trouble in games each time someone came over and started using their mobile devices. It didn't take me long to figure out how to set my gaming PC to the highest priority for routing. Since I did this I've had no trouble at all.

[ONE]
Members
308 posts
15,780 battles
3 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Client is a mess. I get every 5th game or so kicked back to the loading screen when the battle starts. If people don't have a SSD it may take them 3-4 minutes to load again.

Having the opposite problem the past few days, kicked out as the end results are loading.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,688 posts

As for the "client being a mess," if you are having trouble with it it then delete your mods folder and use the file integrity checker to restore the game to its original settings. Every time I've had a glitch with the game (only a few times, and usually right after an upgrade), I've done this and it's played perfectly until the next patch. A file integrity check only takes a couple of minutes and is a good investment of time, considering the headaches a crashed client can bring.

If you are still having troubles, completely delete the game -- including manually deleting its folder -- then run CCleaner to clean up the temporary files and caches and also clear the Registry of references to the game. Then do a reinstall. Sometimes starting afresh is what you need to do to get an application to run right on your system. 

FInally, check your anti-malware setup. You would be amazed at how many systems have three or four anti-malware application stacked on top of each other because "you can't be too safe, right?" Also, if your security settings are clamped down to the point where you feel "perfectly safe"they are probably not letting the game connect properly either.

Edited by Snargfargle

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
8,193 battles
3 hours ago, Dareios said:

Im rage quitting this game for a while.

6 games in a row, ie... all of them, had a minimum of 2 full-game afks, and at least one 'takes 5 minutes to load in and find the W key'. And so very, very often, it's the vital to the team must get early start DD(s) that dont load and allow the reds to get full vision and cap control without contest. I gave up after the 5 DD/side match, where 3 shimas didnt start and the team went out backwards in 4.5 minutes. How is the average player supposed to turn a 9vs12 match?

and why is it so prevalent? I challenge people to come up with worse gaming conditions than me (webs 1.5 down, 0.19 up), and most computer components 2010 era. Yet I DC about once a month and get back in within a minute? what is happening to all these other people that I never see?

Feel you man. Go drink a frosty beverage of your choice, sit in your most comfortable place where ever it may be. Pet your dog, cat or look at your aquarium. Take a smoke break. Go to your happy place for a bit. Then go load your ship, give the crew a pep talk, slap on camo and go SINK red ships. Hope to see you on my side Captain.

[NEMO]
Members
809 posts
8,221 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

1) Kids getting sick or waking up crying after nightmares, people knocking on the door or calling on the phone when there's nobody else able to answer it, doctors and others on call who want to play and suddenly get paged... LIFE GETS IN THE WAY SOMETIMES, and it cannot always be predicted. Deal with it, have some compassion for people whose circumstances you do not know, and don't you dare presume to be the arbiter of what game mode they are or are not allowed to play.

I try to apologise or explain (e.g. "AFK Kids") if I have to leave for those reasons. If I get disconnected, I hope to get into the game before it's over to say what happened, even if my ship has already been sunk. (Sometimes it hasn't been, and twice I've caught someone dead to rights who thought they had a helpless target and closed to spitting distance for the kill.) If my lag times are horrible (hundreds of milliseconds), I warn my teammates at the start about this so they will know why I'm suddenly "out" if that happens.

This is why I don't report AFK players. Ever. I wish WG would remove it as a reason for reporting someone.

So play co-op when you think there is a likelihood of you being called away. I do.

Stop being so selfish.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,060 posts
12,326 battles
4 hours ago, Thraxian said:

How crappy does your hardware have to be to take well over a minute to load in?

Besides, you're wrong if the AFK player is in a DD or CV. It can mean a huge difference to not have anyone spotting for the team.

2 hours ago, DethWolf said:

Hardware is most commonly NOT the reason for late load ins.  Internet traffic has increased over 20x's since the iDiot phone craze started.  No matter how good a pc you have the ISP fast as it is gets bogged down and that can be an area only issue depending on the ISP equipment available.  So arguing about who has the best potato is a dummies quest.

Laptop users are usually more to blame in this regard as they add in that idiot wifi crap to an already bogged ISP.

Before I upgraded this computer if the game crashed hard and I had to reboot it would take about two minutes to get to the desktop and then another minute or so to get back into the game if everything went well and if it didn't it could be ten minutes or more. This was an i5-2400,16GB of RAM, and a GTX 760 that was about midway between minimum and recommended so more than good enough for this game.

[ARGSY]
Members
13,939 posts
8,984 battles
1 hour ago, Thraxian said:

So play co-op when you think there is a likelihood of you being called away. I do.

Stop being so selfish.

I was on continuous call for a WHOLE CALENDAR MONTH last year because somebody else didn't fulfil their part of the deal. You think I should have been obliged to stay away from Randoms for a month on the off-chance that I just MIGHT get called in ONCE in a week, affecting ONE random battle?

That is the issue - there is NO WAY that ANYONE except a socially isolated single person who gets no visitors can GUARANTEE never to be interrupted. Just who is being selfish here?

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
4,861 posts
8,095 battles
2 hours ago, Thraxian said:

Stop being so selfish.

In that case - no one should play...  Literally.

[NEMO]
Members
809 posts
8,221 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I was on continuous call for a WHOLE CALENDAR MONTH last year because somebody else didn't fulfil their part of the deal. You think I should have been obliged to stay away from Randoms for a month on the off-chance that I just MIGHT get called in ONCE in a week, affecting ONE random battle?

That is the issue - there is NO WAY that ANYONE except a socially isolated single person who gets no visitors can GUARANTEE never to be interrupted. Just who is being selfish here?

You.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,470 posts
10,361 battles
5 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Game Center is THE reason I haven't tried WoWP 2.0.  I've heard from people who play other games, only to have Game Center start some download in the background and kill their performance in a non-WG title that is currently running. 

And as far as AFK's, I've had a lot of DC's of late.  Don't know if it's related to a patch.  But they've been far more common lately. 

if you played 1.9, 2.0 is basically the same, but with a new game mode and more ai bots in that mode. and mid game downloads yeah, make sure to close it out right from the tray. did it to me a couple times I forgot, really ticked me off. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,060 posts
12,326 battles
48 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

if you played 1.9, 2.0 is basically the same, but with a new game mode and more ai bots in that mode. and mid game downloads yeah, make sure to close it out right from the tray. did it to me a couple times I forgot, really ticked me off. 

The hell 2.0 is basically the same as 1.9 and earlier. 2.0 is a War Thunder knockoff and there are not enough humans in the matches to make up for bots that make the WoWS co-op bots look like Einstein.

[MAPO]
Members
112 posts
4,069 battles

shot-18_01.14_09_23.55-0616a.thumb.jpg.f5ddb6279441e8abf258dac64e614b91.jpg

One AFK is bad enough, but I had the pleasure of two on my team on the PT server earlier today.  Nothing for them but a repair bill.

• Angry 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,688 posts
6 hours ago, ibdevil666 said:

For all you that are running high end computer make sure that you are not using any kind of search engine as GOOGLE this is why??   been building since computers where invented do alot of DOS stuff...

GOOGLE has an update program that runs in back ground that watches what your are doing uses about 10% of your bandwith and up too 30 percent of ram!! i am runnign an old socket 775 asus unit 2 gig video 4 giigs of ram and dont have an issue and run a cleaning program on my unit every day...

remember this windows 8 and 10 where disigned for phones not computers

Google, Adobe and many other programs run in the background on modern computer systems, this is so that we can get results instantly and not have to wait  Google doesn't take up near that many resources on a modern system. In fact, the ones it does are nearly infinitesimal in relation to the system as a whole. Your problem is that you have a computer that was obsolete ten years ago. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
24,009 posts
6,035 battles
8 hours ago, Thraxian said:

Up here in western Canada, the weather (with wind chill) has been bouncing from -40 to +40 from one week to another, then back to -40 again...

Lol I had to think for a second, then realised you're talking Fahrenheit...