You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dareios

why are there so many AFKs??

59 comments in this topic

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
791 posts

Im rage quitting this game for a while.

6 games in a row, ie... all of them, had a minimum of 2 full-game afks, and at least one 'takes 5 minutes to load in and find the W key'. And so very, very often, it's the vital to the team must get early start DD(s) that dont load and allow the reds to get full vision and cap control without contest. I gave up after the 5 DD/side match, where 3 shimas didnt start and the team went out backwards in 4.5 minutes. How is the average player supposed to turn a 9vs12 match?

and why is it so prevalent? I challenge people to come up with worse gaming conditions than me (webs 1.5 down, 0.19 up), and most computer components 2010 era. Yet I DC about once a month and get back in within a minute? what is happening to all these other people that I never see?

• Cool 2

[POP]
Members
1,274 posts
8,730 battles

I don't know, but I agree it's a huge problem. Since the last update WOWS is killing my computer. I can't run any program while WOWS is running. And I'm almost always the last person in the game now. 

Like I said, it's been since the last update. I have an i7, with 8 gigs RAM, and WOWS installed on an SSD. I also have gigabit fiber to my house and gigabit ethernet to my computer. WOWS ran fine until the most recent update. 

[5D5]
Members
2,583 posts
15,793 battles

I"m honestly not seeing a lot of AFKs. Late loading players yes but that's always been an issue due to computer specs, ISP, etc.

[RST]
Beta Testers
43 posts
4,146 battles

I agree with the premise the last update has done something to loading in and especially the lag.  I have the minimum requirements but it's been much more difficult to play.  Perhaps the next patch will fix it.

Members
1,857 posts
5,778 battles

There has been an a lot of Bad Weather in the East and Northeast for the past month. Players in these area's have been experiencing an internet going up and down. I am from NJ and in the past several days I have noticed the internet fluctuating in the morning hours.  99% of the time the player has no control over disconnects, or internet slowdowns.

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
801 posts
7,730 battles

Late loaders seem to be here for good. What gets me is how many of them feel DD's are the best choice to load 3 minutes into a game....

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
801 posts
7,730 battles
1 minute ago, Raven114 said:

There has been an a lot of Bad Weather in the East and Northeast for the past month. Players in these area's have been experiencing an internet going up and down. I am from NJ and in the past several days I have noticed the internet fluctuating in the morning hours.  99% of the time the player has no control over disconnects, or internet slowdowns.

Up here in western Canada, the weather (with wind chill) has been bouncing from -40 to +40 from one week to another, then back to -40 again...

[YAN]
Members
1,648 posts
7,900 battles

Why are so many people impatient and incapable of waiting 2 minutes before calling out "Afk! Afk! Afk!" Not everyone in the game can afford the newest hardware and SSDs to load in fast.

It doest even affect the game, the time it takes for them to load in is the part where nobody is spotted and nothing happens..

• Bad 1

Members
4,151 posts
6,887 battles
1 minute ago, Akeno017 said:

Why are so many people impatient and incapable of waiting 2 minutes before calling out "Afk! Afk! Afk!"

Most of the time in the games I have played by the time someone is called out as being AFK - the ship they are calling out is moving I I agree with the above.  In fact this happens more than folks actually being AFK or DC'd the last couple months.

[KFL]
Members
689 posts
7,401 battles
3 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Why are so many people impatient and incapable of waiting 2 minutes before calling out "Afk! Afk! Afk!" Not everyone in the game can afford the newest hardware and SSDs to load in fast.

It doest even affect the game, the time it takes for them to load in is the part where nobody is spotted and nothing happens..

Except for dds

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
801 posts
7,730 battles
2 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

How crappy does your hardware have to be to take well over a minute to load in?

Besides, you're wrong if the AFK player is in a DD or CV. It can mean a huge difference to not have anyone spotting for the team.

[POP]
Members
1,274 posts
8,730 battles
10 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Even people with really good hardware are having trouble getting into the game in a timely manner. 

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
791 posts
19 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

not talking 2 minutes, Im taking between 5 minutes and never.

and youre half right... thats fine for a BB. For a DD or CV that HAS to get itself or its planes into prime positions as early as possible, its a huge detriment to the team.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,998 posts
10,482 battles
43 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

I don't know, but I agree it's a huge problem. Since the last update WOWS is killing my computer. I can't run any program while WOWS is running. And I'm almost always the last person in the game now. 

Like I said, it's been since the last update. I have an i7, with 8 gigs RAM, and WOWS installed on an SSD. I also have gigabit fiber to my house and gigabit ethernet to my computer. WOWS ran fine until the most recent update. 

That set up should load in so early that you can go grab another beer before the match starts. I have an i5-7500, 16 Gb RAM, and an SSD and I load in with 40 - 45 seconds left on the countdown.

7 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

Even people with really good hardware are having trouble getting into the game in a timely manner. 

^ This, it is an old issue which has suddenly gotten worse and I guess it will take a patch or two to hammer it down again. When a ship doesn't move take a look at the guns, if the rear center line guns are still facing to the rear the player never loaded in at all.

Members
4,151 posts
6,887 battles
12 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

And since plenty of folks with good hardware can get in time after time without issue - the issue for many is not the game.

• Cool 1

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles

Yes it is increasingly common but why does it have to be a complaint as

1) people have lives

2) computers haves issues

3) they get nothing if they are AFK and still get charged a fee

4) there are weather issues causing outrages

5) though it is more common it’s still not that big of an issue

6) git good and it’s not a problem

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,956 posts
9,235 battles

It's a Wargaming issue - I think 20 16 (around Saipan's release) they did something and most people were loading in with fewer issues and late loads. Couple patches later, back to late load hell. And the game center doesn't help because ever since I had to install it to try Warplanes 2.0 (all the regret), I crash more and more frequently. And it's only been since I installed game center. Where between a late load, then crashing as I load in, causing me to have to kill the game, get it reloaded, sign in, reload into the match by which point, some of these games are basically over. It's not my PC, other games work fine, with higher requirements than this. It's not my internet, I've not only tested it, multiple times, I play games on servers on the EU, with no load issues, whatsoever, from the east coast of the freaking US.

I don't know if it's a server issue, an optimization issue, or what, but it's on Wargaming's end.

[POP]
Members
1,274 posts
8,730 battles
9 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

And since plenty of folks with good hardware can get in time after time without issue - the issue for many is not the game.

And for many it is. 

After the last patch is when I started having problems. 

Unless the ISP is actively throttling World of Warships (and I can't say that's not the case), then my ISP is fine. I have a 33-35ms ping throughout the US (I just tested it) and a 200MBps download from a server on the other side of the country. It's 800MBps to a server in the same state. 

Since I observed the change after the last update. And since no other software or hardware changes have occurred. And since my internet performance hasn't changed before or after. Then it's reasonable to conclude that, FOR ME, the patch did something. Maybe there is a flaw in the WOWS interaction with my hardware (which is what I would suspect). I don't know. 

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
801 posts
7,730 battles
11 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

Yes it is increasingly common but why does it have to be a complaint as

1) people have lives

2) computers haves issues

3) they get nothing if they are AFK and still get charged a fee

4) there are weather issues causing outrages

5) though it is more common it’s still not that big of an issue

6) git good and it’s not a problem

1) So don't hit 'battle' if you have somewhere to go in the next 10-20 minutes.

2) Fix the issue. Don't continue to play if your comp crashes every time you hit battle. This is a TEAM game. Play co-op instead.

3) The rest of the team has to carry their dead weight

4) Outrages?

5) Maybe not to you, but this is a team game, so yeah, it DOES matter.

6) Sure.

Members
4,151 posts
6,887 battles

Unfortunately speeds mean nothing for online gaming.  Faster is not automatically best (or automatically low ping) and that no issues will come up along the route or that there is not an issue (hardware or software/drivers).  It could be around the mix of hardware and drivers and other software and how updated or not updated the PC is.  So many things it can potentially be it is not funny.

What is funny that my PC was rebuilt 2 years ago thanks to a close lightening strike.  I went from an AMD CPU to an Intel CPU and did not reinstall the OS - just cleared the hardware so all new drivers would be installed - especially chipset drivers. The OS install is over 7 years old - if anyone should have problems with the game it is this mix but I have surprisingly few issues.

[CVA16]
Members
2,760 posts
7,280 battles

I haven't had AFK problems in a while but have been experiencing some kind of lag lately. What I'm seeing is that when a red ship reappears or is spotted it is sitting still. About 3-5 seconds later it starts moving and I know its already moving. Have to wait just a bit to train my guns on it.

Members
4,151 posts
6,887 battles
8 minutes ago, Thraxian said:

1) So don't hit 'battle' if you have somewhere to go in the next 10-20 minutes.

It would be great if life was so well scripted but alas - it is not.  I really don't think folks get into the game knowing something will take them out of the game in the next 20 minutes.

Members
4,151 posts
6,887 battles
1 minute ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

I haven't had AFK problems in a while but have been experiencing some kind of lag lately. What I'm seeing is that when a red ship reappears or is spotted it is sitting still. About 3-5 seconds later it starts moving and I know its already moving. Have to wait just a bit to train my guns on it.

That sounds a lot more like packet loss and if are not pausing then it is likely on the red players connection.

[4HIM]
Members
2,119 posts
5,800 battles
21 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

And the game center doesn't help because ever since I had to install it to try Warplanes 2.0 (all the regret), I crash more and more frequently. And it's only been since I installed game center.

Game Center is THE reason I haven't tried WoWP 2.0.  I've heard from people who play other games, only to have Game Center start some download in the background and kill their performance in a non-WG title that is currently running. 

And as far as AFK's, I've had a lot of DC's of late.  Don't know if it's related to a patch.  But they've been far more common lately. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,998 posts
10,482 battles
44 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

30 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

The problem is rather random as to who it effects. One with an everything top end machine gets in fine while another also with an everything top end machine can't. Then to add insult to injury other players with less than optimal machines get in fine. Fixing this is like fixing a random electrical problem on a car, it takes lots of patience and luck to catch it in the act.

1 minute ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Game Center is THE reason I haven't tried WoWP 2.0.  I've heard from people who play other games, only to have Game Center start some download in the background and kill their performance in a non-WG title that is currently running. 

And as far as AFK's, I've had a lot of DC's of late.  Don't know if it's related to a patch.  But they've been far more common lately. 

If you have the Game Center always close it out through the system tray after the game starts.