You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Waxing_Gibbous

Bots, or botting?

9 comments in this topic

[PHASE]
Members
4,951 posts
16,644 battles

First two games of the day I had a teammate accused of botting, one was a CV the other a BB, the enemy even reported our BB for botting. The BB had a ranked 10 flag and camo, so I doubt he was a bot, but can you turn bot mode on and off and go watch tv and eat cheesy poofs while your ship plays for you? the CV I could believe is a bot, his play was horrific, and his wr matched that. After the enemy called him a bot before the game started I asked several times in chat if he was human hoping to elicit proof of him being a humanoid since his name was clearly muricin but got nothing in return. 

My question is this/these, why would anyone do this? How common is it? At high tiers you can't make enough credits to sustain your account...most that appear to be bots have no camo or flags so it takes forever to grind to the next ship.

[13TH]
Members
4,872 posts
8,463 battles

There was a program last year that would automatically launch your ship into game and at the beginning of match move your ship in a straight line to eventually hit an Island or get sunk

running 24-7 the small amount of XP earned would add up however Wows found out this was going on and changed the rules to do no damage make 0 XP

maybe this is a variation 

Members
4,818 posts
7,978 battles

Calling a player a bot is just a guess- much like most of the times people call out players as AFK without actually trying to determine if the player is AFK.  You can set a boat to go on autopilot but the only guns that will fire are the secondaries and AA.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,649 posts
17,133 battles

Players call other players bots when they are unhappy with their play, or lack of support, or are just mad. It means nothing.

[POP]
Members
1,276 posts
8,812 battles

Not botting, but I've seen cases where I suspected that a CV player was throwing a match for their team. I've heard that it's possible for CV players to sync drop into matches. Basically they have two accounts, both running CVs and they try to get both accounts into the same match. Then they can use one account to throw the match for the other. 

Example, I got behind the lines in a Shima and chased the enemy CV for 5 minutes. Destroyed him with cannon fire. He had turned and was running, but never launched a plane. It wasn't that he was out of planes either. He never launched a plane, the entire match. We won trivially. But it wasn't a fair battle. 

[PHASE]
Members
4,951 posts
16,644 battles
33 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Players call other players bots when they are unhappy with their play, or lack of support, or are just mad. It means nothing.

generally my line of thinking as well. But in the case of the CV, 333 games at 32%....you could afk and achieve those results

[NEMO]
Members
809 posts
8,221 battles
17 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

generally my line of thinking as well. But in the case of the CV, 333 games at 32%....you could afk and achieve those results

I think I had that same person in a battle last week. The enemy CV had a 75% WR. We lost hard...

There's been some discussion of people running two accounts on two computers and hitting 'battle' at the same time in the hopes of having both of their CV's in the same battle. There aren't many CV's in higher tiers, so it's easily achieved. Way to pad your stats....

[PHASE]
Members
4,951 posts
16,644 battles
2 minutes ago, Thraxian said:

I think I had that same person in a battle last week. The enemy CV had a 75% WR. We lost hard...

There's been some discussion of people running two accounts on two computers and hitting 'battle' at the same time in the hopes of having both of their CV's in the same battle. There aren't many CV's in higher tiers, so it's easily achieved. Way to pad your stats....

It would be interesting if you recalled the name of the CV player with high WR.....

[KFL]
Members
691 posts
10,067 battles

I have seen a few matches where I even thought it was a bot. Wot has it so I don't see why wows wouldn't......

Bot or else just a mentally slow person playing, because some of the actions make no sense..... worse than a PvP bot.