You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

Excited to acquire DoY- but Y?

18 comments in this topic

[0456]
Members
3,327 posts
9,051 battles

EVERYTHING I've read is that this thing is mediocre... but my palms are sweating at the thought of wrapping up this last mission 5 objective for 45000XP. 

I'm seeing them in battle quite often... people are definitely grinding it judging by the number of BBs in the cue... 

Are you grinding it in spite of all the bad press? Why? 

[TBW]
Members
8,110 posts
14,830 battles

Because I have all of the other premiums but the unobtainable ones and Ranked premiums.

Members
995 posts
1,871 battles

it is a balanced premium ship it gives up a few things(reload, fire chance and some other things) but gains some stuff in return(has hydro and some other benefits)

its bad press comes from that people want premium ships to be OP but then they complain when a OP premium comes out look at littlewhitemouse review on it she is pretty unbias and has a good under standing of what makes a ship good

[IFAM]
Members
151 posts
922 battles
16 minutes ago, Gascan75 said:

EVERYTHING I've read is that this thing is mediocre... but my palms are sweating at the thought of wrapping up this last mission 5 objective for 45000XP. 

I'm seeing them in battle quite often... people are definitely grinding it judging by the number of BBs in the cue... 

Do you know how many containers you can get by unlocking the new years eve raid? The free Tier 6 ships to skip the Tier 1-5 matching? 

THINK OF THE CONTAINERS AND OIL! There is so much oil gained from New years eve I'm concerned that someone might invade for it.

[JASH]
Members
3,749 posts
11,081 battles
10 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

it is a balanced premium ship it gives up a few things(reload, fire chance and some other things) but gains some stuff in return(has hydro and some other benefits)

its bad press comes from that people want premium ships to be OP but then they complain when a OP premium comes out look at littlewhitemouse review on it she is pretty unbias and has a good under standing of what makes a ship good

Yes, please do.

YXCdMod.jpg

"Suggested nicknames: Duck of York, Puke of York, Duke of Yuck, Dookie of York & Dork of York.  Mix and match to your heart's content!"

[SALVO]
Members
21,995 posts
22,415 battles
16 minutes ago, gmrbull said:

It’s free :cap_tea:

^This.  It's a free ship.  So, why not?

[SALVO]
Members
21,995 posts
22,415 battles
25 minutes ago, Gascan75 said:

Just use some XP enhancing camo and all the XP enhancing signal flags, and you'll have that 45k XP in no time flat.

Members
995 posts
1,871 battles
4 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

Yes, please do.

YXCdMod.jpg

"Suggested nicknames: Duck of York, Puke of York, Duke of Yuck, Dookie of York & Dork of York.  Mix and match to your heart's content!"

I would say it's more of a meh boat but I also over valve hydro so there's that

[PVE]
Members
3,482 posts
21,653 battles
39 minutes ago, Gascan75 said:

Only 1 reason...it's mandatory to do the New Years event & I have all the T6 ships they are giving away so I'm anxiously looking forward to the 5 free port slots...if you are in a clan the oil from all those containers is a good incentive too as Joe_Barbarian  pointed out.

[SIM]
Members
3,912 posts
6,535 battles

Ultimately, the only opinion that matters is your own. If you enjoy a poorly reviewed ship and can make it perform adequetely in battle, then who cares about the reviews? I imagine that some folks are just excited about having the chance to try the ship for themselves, regardless of the press surrounding it.

[SF-A]
Members
3,124 posts
6,776 battles

It's free stuff. Free ship, free captain, free port slot, free achievements, etc. Seems like a slice of premium content to a player like me who rarely buys things.

• Cool 1

[EGO]
Members
3,688 posts
1 hour ago, Gascan75 said:

Probably for the Scharnhorst Camo.

Also hopefully WG will realize it is in serious need of some help and it will get buffed someday.

Edited by CaptainTeddybear

Alpha Tester
3,483 posts
1,556 battles
2 hours ago, skull_122_steel said:

The bad press mostly comes from the fact that it gives up too much for some very minor benefits thus resulting in the KGV being hands down the better of the two ships.  I got the DoY before I got the KGV and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the DoY is a decent ship.  I am easily keeping pace with my Scharnhorst stat-wise and have had some monster games with it while never having a truly bad game in it.  Basically as soon as you take KGV out of the equation, it holds its own just fine compared to the vast majority of Tier 7 ships (Nelson excluded).   LWM's review however doesn't do this, instead she directly compares it to the KGV and by virtue of the fact it is substandard compared to the KGV, her review of it is garbage.  Honestly  her review of the DoY is one of the few reviews I have ever read of hers that I feel is entirely unfair and inaccurate because she wasn't able to leave her comparison of it to the KGV out of her evaluation.  I also suspect she was more than a little influenced in this case by being a fan of the DoY in its previous cruiser form.  Basically love her stuff but no ones perfect and I don't feel she called this one correctly.

As to the comparison between the DoY and the KGV, KGV is borderline OP based on the stats being able to output significantly more damage than any other Tier 7 BB outside the Nelson.  It has a much faster reload, an additional heal and a much more useful consumable in the spotter plane than the DoY.  Hydro and a bit better AP performance doesn't make up for those things so by comparison, well there is no comparison, KGV is significantly better, that is an established fact.  However, that doesn't make the DoY garbage.  

Honestly what you said it exactly true.  DoY is a "BALANCED" BB.  There is nothing outstanding about her but there is nothing bad about her either.  As a captain trainer it is excellent especially since it offers a play style similar to Tier 7-10 British BBs and will use the same skills as those BBs.   It also will feel familiar to those players who are mainlining RN BBs, far more than another other Tier 7 RN BBs.  Its credit earning isn't bad either so it fulfills it role as a RN premium BB exceptionally well.  That being the case you should feel excited getting the DoY, especially after going through that grueling set of missions to get her.  

• Cool 1

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
6 hours ago, Gascan75 said:

I dont think people are grinding it, its just they need to play it in order to do the first mission of the Arctic camo campaign. Its a requirement.

[SYN]
Members
5,252 posts
12,566 battles

I have only the slimmest margin in obtaining the DoY.  Spent the entire available time in attempting the 90k damage torp hits to no avail.  Came close many times, with several results being closer to 90k than 80k.  The only other mission I chose is the 75k XP and/or sink 10 BBs, with both coming slowly.

Still gotta do the 45k XP when the final mission is unlocked.

All in two days.

Ya, I know others say the ship is less-than-outstanding, but if there's one thing I've learned is that you have to go by your own experiences.  Just because someone else doesn't like a certain ship doesn't mean others have to agree.  I've done poorly in ships others love and do well in, and done well in ships that others hate playing.

I want the DoY and hope I get it before time runs out.

[0456]
Members
3,327 posts
9,051 battles

I pushed through the 45kXP last night and received the DIY DoY... I actually went back and bought KGV just so that I could look at them both in port (in colour.) I have my gripes about the game but the 3D modelling has never been one of them. I'm more of a collector in that sense and don't really expect to play either ship often if at all after the event / campaign is done- but I love the ships.

Took DoY out for a single battle- all I had time for- and was a little apprehensive as to what to expect.  One battle does not a performer make but I will say this: Knowing what to expect softened the blow and actually resulted in a nice surprise. As a guy who started in this game as a US BB main and stayed in mid tiers for awhile I'm used to slow ships and poor dispersion at range. If it's taken at its own merits my initial impression is that it's okay. I'm more cautious in new ships- especially garbage rated ones- but fared reasonably well in mid tier.  One nice thing about poor dispersion is that even if you snap a poorly aimed shot off you run an even money chance of landing the hit that makes a difference. 

There's already a thread about "how do you feel now that you got DoY" but I will say that I feel happy to have completed the campaign and received the ship.