You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
guypersonthing

Where to learn more about the metagame

17 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
995 battles

ive been watching a few vids and was hearing things like "the bow in meta isnt viable". where does one gain the knowledge of this fabled meta? i seek enlightenment/an instruction manual with all the strats in it or something

[TBW]
Members
8,110 posts
14,830 battles

Read the Wiki is the only manual besides CC's vids really. The Wiki doesn't cover any strategy though. This game is pretty much OJT (On the Job Training).

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
3,223 posts
17,250 battles

I guess "meta" that they're talking about is how the game is played currently and what the standard tactics are for certain ships and the way you want to play them

[KVLT]
[KVLT]
Members
2,302 posts
7,216 battles

Get a BB, Build for secondaries, Ctrl+click, Let the game play itself

Bow on refers to point your bow directly at the primary threat to you in hopes that the oblique angle will bounce shells. Bow on is actually bad and only people who failed geometry and havent learned about angles and armor angling use the bow on meta. Bow on meta is strictly for BBs. Unless you want to die in anything else.

Almost forgot, the Meta is blame everyone but yourself or BBs. Esp blame the CV even if there isnt one in the match. BBs are to blame for 9/10 losses but you need to blame DDs and CA/CL for dying while BBs border hump.

Edited by Zhoyzu

Members
520 posts
7,938 battles

The game seems deceptively simple at first, but in actuality there is a respectable depth of knowledge required to be a "good" player. There is no glossary that I know of but the terminology and strategies will become more familiar with experience, keep reading the forums and the wiki or watch youtube vids to improve your knowledge.

You made the right first step by asking a question here.

• Cool 1

Members
9 posts
995 battles
Just now, Dr_Powderfinger said:

The game seems deceptively simple at first, but in actuality there is a respectable depth of knowledge required to be a "good" player. There is no glossary that I know of but the terminology and strategies will become more familiar with experience, keep reading the forums and the wiki or watch youtube vids to improve your knowledge.

You made the right first step by asking a question here.

i feel smarter now thanks. whats the best way to angle your ship then? ive heard 60 degrees thrown around

Members
9 posts
995 battles
Just now, Sovereigndawg said:

Read the Wiki is the only manual besides CC's vids really. The Wiki doesn't cover any strategy though. This game is pretty much OJT (On the Job Training).

CC?

[TBW]
Members
8,110 posts
14,830 battles
2 minutes ago, guypersonthing said:

CC?

Community contributors on you tube.

Members
520 posts
7,938 battles
12 minutes ago, guypersonthing said:

i feel smarter now thanks. whats the best way to angle your ship then? ive heard 60 degrees thrown around

Roughly 60-70 degree angle is a decent place to start but it really depends on what you are sailing(armor, citadel, your rear gun arcs) and what is shooting at you, overmatch and penetration mechanics, etc. There are times for instance where bow-in(80-90 degrees) is actually the right call - it is situational.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

Members
9 posts
995 battles
Just now, Sovereigndawg said:

Community contributors on you tube.

ah gotcha. the ones ive seen seem to give vague answers ya know? theres a lot of "its just gamesense" (espically for torps), but i guess thats because of the nature of the game. that reminded me of something. i heard the term strafe used when relating to DDs, how does one strafe in a boat? also how would you counter such dodging

Members
9 posts
995 battles
Just now, Dr_Powderfinger said:

Roughly 60-70 degree angle is a decent place to start but it really depends on what you are sailing(armor, citadel, your rear gun arcs) and what is shooting at you, overmatch and penetration mechanics, etc. There are times for instance where bow-in(80-90 degrees) is actually the right call - it is situational.

argh so much memorization. how does penetration work? theres no values like there is in WoT. all i know is that HE is the gun caliber divided by 6, or 4 if youre german right

Members
520 posts
7,938 battles
16 hours ago, guypersonthing said:

argh so much memorization. how does penetration work? theres no values like there is in WoT. all i know is that HE is the gun caliber divided by 6, or 4 if youre german right

You don't have to memorize everything to be effective, but you should know the qualities and capabilities of the ship you are sailing.

Penetration mechanics are detailed in the Wiki.

[55TH]
Members
41 posts
3,986 battles
18 hours ago, Zhoyzu said:

Get a BB, Build for secondaries, Ctrl+click, Let the game play itself

Bow on refers to point your bow directly at the primary threat to you in hopes that the oblique angle will bounce shells. Bow on is actually bad and only people who failed geometry and havent learned about angles and armor angling use the bow on meta. Bow on meta is strictly for BBs. Unless you want to die in anything else.

Almost forgot, the Meta is blame everyone but yourself or BBs. Esp blame the CV even if there isnt one in the match. BBs are to blame for 9/10 losses but you need to blame DDs and CA/CL for dying while BBs border hump.

Strange, usually BB’s and CV’s aren’t my problem, but rather DD’s, whether it be the enemy DD stealth torpingng my CA’s and BB’s the whole match or my teams DD’s all dying 5 minutes in to enemy DD’s and CA’s.

Members
9 posts
995 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

You don't have to memorize everything to be effective, but you should know the qualities and capabilities of the ship you are sailing.

Penetration mechanics are detailed in the Wiki.

guess it takes time eh. any key wiki pages i should take a gander at?

Members
520 posts
7,938 battles
9 minutes ago, guypersonthing said:

guess it takes time eh. any key wiki pages i should take a gander at?

I'd start by reading the wiki page entry on any ships you currently sail and maybe looking for guides on youtube as well. There are subforums here too for each line of ships. Other than that I would mainly use the Wiki to read up on any mechanics that you have questions about or don't fully understand(concealment, economy, captain's skills, whatever)yet.

No need to go overboard - just soak in a little knowledge thru use of the available resources as you gain experience playing, and over time your skill level and understanding should improve.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

The "meta" as it's generally used within this community refers to accepted or widespread tactics in use in World of Warships.  So the "bow-on meta" refers (primarily) to battleships who park themselves with their bow armor facing the enemy force in the usually unfounded belief that opposing ships won't simply switch to HE rounds and burn them to cinders, or that destroyers/aircraft won't find their way to the BB's sides for a devastating torpedo strike.  Another "meta" might be when ships with high-arcing main gun trajectories park themselves behind islands which allow them to lob shells at enemy ships but block return fire from ships with a flatter trajectory.

"Metagame" in its literal sense involves thinking beyond standard tactics and using knowledge of your opponent to their disadvantage.  An example of this in WoWs would be the "baiting" tactic which destroyers sometimes use against fast cruisers or other DDs, where one first launches torpedoes from stealth along a path between you and a spotted (or suspected) enemy ship, then opens fire with the main guns several seconds later in the belief that an aggressive foe will turn in to charge you, thereby sailing directly into the path of your torpedoes.

Edited by Harv72b

[PROJX]
Members
1,037 posts
20,715 battles
On 1/13/2018 at 5:42 PM, guypersonthing said:

ive been watching a few vids and was hearing things like "the bow in meta isnt viable". where does one gain the knowledge of this fabled meta? i seek enlightenment/an instruction manual with all the strats in it or something

Hey guypersonthing - What you're describing as the "game meta" sounds like you're looking for info on game mechanics details/tactics/strategies.

The following may help you - WOWS Enjoyment - List of Game Improvement/Mechanics Articles and Guides.   It's a collection of more than 30 articles and link sections which cover:

• Shooting Mechanics/Tactics (Where to shoot what type of ship, when and why to inflict the most damage)
  • Maneuvering Tactics (masking turns, using cover, kiting, flanking & other maneuver tactics)
  • How to brawl
  • Tactics & Strategies (Cap Strategies, Lemming Trains (usually bad), Lanchesters Law)
  • Pointers to popular YouTubers & Instructional Video links

but also:

• How to get more XP (explains sources of XP)
  • How to get 19-pt Commanders faster
  • How flag/cammo stacking works (to accelerate either XP, FreeXP or Commander's XP collection)
  • The Currency Model
  • What kind of ships are best to execute certain mission tasks to get Campaigns done faster
  • & more