You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LordBenjamin

Naval fiction recommendations?

20 comments in this topic

Members
865 posts
8,518 battles

I need to find something to read, been in the mood for some nautical fiction.   Whether it's speculative, fun fantasy adventure, or a real feeling novel I don't much care.  I've always loved being on the water my whole life and stories aboard ship are quite an enjoyable setting to me.   So if  you've enjoyed something let me know.  Bonus points for things free on Kindle Unlimited even if it's new authors because I kind of like reading people I'm unfamiliar with.   Lengthy established series where I have to pay $10 per book or read on paper like some kind of primitive savage are kind of not my thing.  But I do have a library card if I'm convinced it's worth it... :)

A few notables of my own:

I've read a big chunk of the Aubrey Maturin novels, at least until deep in the series when the quality went downhill.  

Also recently read a more modern "Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War " which I found to be excellent in a Red Storm Rising type situation.

Read the whole Alexis Carew series.  It's a sci-fiction sailing adventures in space where the author postulates interstellar travel with sailing type rules.  It sounded silly but it was free through Kindle Unlimited and immediately hooked me so I read them all.

Westerly Gales series - post apoc world where only a few people who were out on the waves survived and they banded together as the only humans left to form a maritime civilization.  Story takes place a couple hundred years later when they're starting to plant colonies around the world and they bump into another maritime civilization.   If a book where a sailing ship has 20mm cannon type stories it's kind of cool.  

Edited by LordBenjamin

[WOLF9]
Privateers
10,684 posts
4,371 battles

If you haven't read Clancy, do The Hunt for Red October

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
8,132 posts
14,856 battles

Clive Cusslers books are nautical themed, not all military though. I read Raise the Titanic in 7TH grade over 40 years ago and have read most of his since then. Not a nautical book but this is a really good book.

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/moon-is-a-harsh-mistress-robert-a-heinlein/1100718730

Sci-fi writer many awards and was before his time.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 2

[KWA]
Beta Testers
1,841 posts
5,295 battles

If you have read Red October, have you read Red Storm Rising? While it isn't solely naval based, a good chunk of it is submarines and surface ships.

• Cool 1

Members
865 posts
8,518 battles
Just now, OseanTanker said:

If you have read Red October, have you read Red Storm Rising? While it isn't solely naval based, a good chunk of it is submarines and surface ships.

Yeah, I actually referenced that in my bit about Ghost Fleet which is like Red Storm Rising but only the naval war.   If you liked RSR I'd definitely check out Ghost Fleet.

[KWA]
Beta Testers
1,841 posts
5,295 battles
2 minutes ago, LordBenjamin said:

Yeah, I actually referenced that in my bit about Ghost Fleet which is like Red Storm Rising but only the naval war.   If you liked RSR I'd definitely check out Ghost Fleet.

derp.... I just kind of scanned the names without reading the text behind them.

[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,456 posts
13,906 battles

@Lert Might have some good recommendations.

The entire Horatio Hornblower series is pretty epic and covers the arc of a British officers life at sea from Midshipman to Captain and beyond.

Members
865 posts
8,518 battles
6 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

The entire Horatio Hornblower series is pretty epic and covers the arc of a British officers life at sea from Midshipman to Captain and beyond.

I've seen that series all over but don't know anyone who read it.   Is it more of a realistic type fiction like Aubrey-Maturin where they take a real engagement and pretend it was the hero or the more fantasy type where one brave guy takes on 4 ships all by himself with no real fight to base it on?  

[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,456 posts
13,906 battles

It's historical fiction, I think the life of a sailor was both brutal and exciting in that time period.  I'd say it's along the lines of the Sharp series by Bernard Cromwell, very realistic depictions of what actual 18th century infantry combat entailed, but lots of liberty wtaken with the out of battle situations.

[REVY]
Members
6,165 posts
5,164 battles

I have not read the books, but I enjoyed the TV show.

Edited by Sventex

[WOLF9]
Privateers
10,684 posts
4,371 battles

For a good survey of how the US prepared for the expected war with Imperial Japan, War Plan Orange.

For an off-the-wall future fiction read, The Texas-Israeli War, where a major move is getting a heavy cruiser up the navigable reaches of the Trinity R.  Probably out of print, but findable.

[HELLS]
Members
2,278 posts
21,623 battles

Read the Hornblower novels. C.S. Forester, the author, was one of the best fiction writers of his generation. He also wrote a book about real-life war called The Shepherd, about his cruise as a journalist aboard  HMS Scylla, a Dido class AA cruiser, on the Gibraltar convoy run mid-war. The Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent is also pretty good. Runs a bit earlier in the Age of Sail than Hornblower. If you want a fast read about WWII action, try HMS Ulysses by Alistair McLean. Pure fiction, but well done. The Cruel Sea by Nicolas Monsarrat is a must read . The Enemy Below by D.A. Rayner is a must as well. Note that these are all books about RN types. The USN has not been neglected in fiction either. Try In Harm's Way, made into a movie with John Wayne, Kirk Douglas and Patricia Neal in the main roles. Can't think of any more just now but it will come....

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016

Members
865 posts
8,518 battles
9 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

It's historical fiction, I think the life of a sailor was both brutal and exciting in that time period.  I'd say it's along the lines of the Sharp series by Bernard Cromwell, very realistic depictions of what actual 18th century infantry combat entailed, but lots of liberty wtaken with the out of battle situations.

Sharpe's was great, I'm about halfway through the series but can't read that many with the same character all in a row.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,810 posts
18,457 battles

The Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson is a fun fictional series.  WWII destroyer and crew transported to an alternate reality.

[REVY]
Members
6,165 posts
5,164 battles
1 minute ago, LordBenjamin said:

Sharpe's was great, I'm about halfway through the series but can't read that many with the same character all in a row.

The only question you gotta ask is: Will Sean Bean make it out of this series alive?

[HINON]
Supertester
21,483 posts
15,244 battles
1 hour ago, BiggieD61 said:

Nope! sorry.

Das Boot is a good read, though long. It's been twenty years since I read it though, so I might be misremembering.

[REVY]
Members
6,165 posts
5,164 battles
15 minutes ago, Lert said:

Nope! sorry.

Das Boot is a good read, though long. It's been twenty years since I read it though, so I might be misremembering.

I don't trust the author of that book after he went insane over the Das Boot movie.