Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
guns_at_last_light

Question about spotting mechanics

4 comments in this topic

Members
506 posts

In a recent game I was being shot at by an Atlanta that was partially behind an island. What was strange was that the Atlanta wasn't showing up on my screen when it was firing, despite hitting me with its back guns. The range was < 6km, since it wound up hitting me with torps. I understand the firing behind an island cruiser tactic, but don't understand how the Atlanta was shooting at me so close without being detected. Any ideas? (sorry, I don't have replays enabled)

WoWS Community Contributors
309 posts

Most likely the island was blocking line of sight from any of your friendly ships. But you were spotted from someone on his team, which is how he could target you.

[FML]
Members
2,957 posts
12,941 battles
3 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

In a recent game I was being shot at by an Atlanta that was partially behind an island. What was strange was that the Atlanta wasn't showing up on my screen when it was firing, despite hitting me with its back guns. The range was < 6km, since it wound up hitting me with torps. I understand the firing behind an island cruiser tactic, but don't understand how the Atlanta was shooting at me so close without being detected. Any ideas? (sorry, I don't have replays enabled)

So, the centre point of the ship is used to determine if there is line of sight between your ship and their ship. 

Tge Atlanta was cutting it very fine to have its back guns hitting you without being spotted. 

You could still have fired at him and you still would have done damage (and possibly killed him). 

Members
506 posts
1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

So, the centre point of the ship is used to determine if there is line of sight between your ship and their ship. 

Tge Atlanta was cutting it very fine to have its back guns hitting you without being spotted. 

You could still have fired at him and you still would have done damage (and possibly killed him). 

That would definitely explain it. Seeing as the player had ranked out this season, he/she probably knew about this and was exploiting it. It's weird that the center of the ship determines this, but it's probably easier to code it that way.

Sign in to follow this