Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
carcanken

Successfully Using the Iowa

5 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
611 battles

Hi there, so I've recently picked up the Iowa and I've been having a dreadful time attempting to use it compared to the NC. I'm trying to figure out how to best play the ship.

I already know how bad the ship is at taking citadel hits, so from how I understand that, it's mostly best to sit further behind and try to support. I'm running the concealment build mostly stock right now, and barely can get above the Iowa's hp amount worth of damage in a game. 

Do I have to be incredibly proficient at getting citadels on enemy ships at around 16-19km ranges? I haven't had much luck in that department at all, and oftentimes while trying to get closer to the fight I end up focused by all sorts of cruiser HE fire and BB fire. If I stay too far back I find that I'm just hurting my team. I'm finding it difficult to try to find a nice middle ground here on how to use the Iowa. Do I need to just face the front of my ship toward enemies and use reverse/forwards spam? Should I just hug islands waiting for some lucky opportunity? I obviously can't play a little aggressive like I could in the NC.

In short I'm really just trying to figure out how to use the Iowa's speed and the quality of it's guns to my advantage. Wondering if you guys had any tips or anything.

Thanks!

[FAE]
Members
2,365 posts
2,900 battles

WAnna know too. The gun quality is much much better  But the turning is so much worse. And taking torpedoes is more common than NC 

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,485 posts
5,779 battles

IMO Iowa plays like a really big, tanky cruiser. She's not really a "proper" battleship in playstyle. Use her speed to put yourself in a strong position with support, and likewise use that speed to withdraw if you start taking too much fire. Alternatively, you can use her speed to push crushed flanks really quickly, bringing those 16" guns to bear on the broadsides of ships on the opposite flank.

[PENND]
Members
55 posts
2,500 battles

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:01 PM, Cruiser_DesMoines said:

IMO Iowa plays like a really big, tanky cruiser. She's not really a "proper" battleship in playstyle. Use her speed to put yourself in a strong position with support, and likewise use that speed to withdraw if you start taking too much fire. Alternatively, you can use her speed to push crushed flanks really quickly, bringing those 16" guns to bear on the broadsides of ships on the opposite flank.

Everything  Cruiser said and then some. I use this tactic in the Missouri and for the most part, if my teammates near me manage to stay alive, and the opposite flank team is still alive somewhat, it is a very bad day for the enemy team.

[JEEP]
Beta Testers
742 posts
5,607 battles

At the end of the DOY missions I was getting so fed up with said crap missions I started YOLOing in the Iowa -- Had some surprisingly good results. Got more than a few ram kills and a back-to-back neptune+minotaur kills when they Yoloed in front of 6x16" barrels pointing at their broadside...

Sign in to follow this