You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joe_Barbarian

CV and Pink Status questions

27 comments in this topic

[IFAM]
Members
151 posts
922 battles

Question,

So if I'm a CV with pink status and I strafe over friendly airplanes, do my planes take damage or does my ship or does nothing happen?

Can I strafe over my own planes and they take no damage?

If no one can answer these questions i'll try this out in co-op with a friend and test it out.

[PVE]
Members
16,151 posts
10,707 battles
1 minute ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

Question,

So if I'm a CV with pink status and I strafe over friendly airplanes, do my planes take damage or does my ship or does nothing happen?

Can I strafe over my own planes and they take no damage?

If no one can answer these questions i'll try this out in co-op with a friend and test it out.

I'm still at T4 in CVs, but I think strafing a friendly plane down turns you pink. I don't think it happens if it is your own plane, but a friendly plane I believe.

[IFAM]
Members
151 posts
922 battles
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

I'm still at T4 in CVs, but I think strafing a friendly plane down turns you pink. I don't think it happens if it is your own plane, but a friendly plane I believe.

The question was if you are already pink not what gets you pink ... 

[PVE]
Members
16,151 posts
10,707 battles

The question was if you are already pink not what gets you pink ... 

It's the same thing. While you are pink, if you continue to damage friendlies, you keep the pink and can get additional penalties depending on how much damage you do.

[IFAM]
Members
151 posts
922 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

It's the same thing. While you are pink, if you continue to damage friendlies, you keep the pink and can get additional penalties depending on how much damage you do.

Well I'm looking for something a bit more concrete than "I think" and "I believe" I've strafed friendly planes before and had no warnings, however I'm wondering about the questions stated in the OP

[PVE]
Members
16,151 posts
10,707 battles
4 minutes ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

Well I'm looking for something a bit more concrete than "I think" and "I believe" I've strafed friendly planes before and had no warnings, however I'm wondering about the questions stated in the OP

Well until a CV main comes along, that is all I have, sorry.

At least we are keeping this on the front page for a CV main to find. :)

[IFAM]
Members
151 posts
922 battles

Well until a CV main comes along, that is all I have, sorry.

At least we are keeping this on the front page for a CV main to find. :)

I use the Midway myself but It's just curious if this could be a potential benefit to being pink. As Strafing over friendly fighters doesn't actually cause friendly damage at all.

[PVE]
Members
16,151 posts
10,707 battles

I use the Midway myself but It's just curious if this could be a potential benefit to being pink. As Strafing over friendly fighters doesn't actually cause friendly damage at all.

Shiny, I guess I was wrong. I thought I remembered a post where someone said that they turned pink for strafing friendly planes, but I must have mis-remembered.

I have Saipan and Kaga to go along with Langley and Hosho, but I have only taken Saipan out into PvE once. I was trying to practice strafing and manually drops in the training room before they were taken away from T4 & T5, but I haven't quite got the hang of it. I have watched many videos, but just the plane multitasking is difficult enough for me right now. Except for the one PvP game in Hosho for the Aftvent torp plane task (we won and I'm superunicum in something :Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_child:), I have stayed at T4 and in PvE so as to not stick a team with my bad CV play as I learn.

I will use the T7 CVs someday when I get a little better. After finishing the grind to Baltimore for the US cruiser split, I plan on playing CVs more this year. My goal is to get Zuiho and Bogue, take Kaga into PvE and do some more PvP play with Langley and Hosho for the year. I went with fewer goals this year as I pretty much did nothing but grind out the last ships in December that I had set as goals last year and it started to be too much like work. 

[IFAM]
Members
151 posts
922 battles

I have enough trouble adjusting to 6 plane groups on the Midway, looking to go down the Japan CV line soon, the joy of trying to multi-task that...

I'd get get yourself into the ranger as I felt that was a really strong CV and very easy going on the multi-tasking due to it's 1-1-2 load out. It's fighters are really powerful especially against Saipans, Hiryus on the other hand come down to skill depending on their captain and load out

[PVE]
Members
16,151 posts
10,707 battles

I have enough trouble adjusting to 6 plane groups on the Midway, looking to go down the Japan CV line soon, the joy of trying to multi-task that...

I'd get get yourself into the ranger as I felt that was a really strong CV and very easy going on the multi-tasking due to it's 1-1-2 load out. It's fighters are really powerful especially against Saipans, Hiryus on the other hand come down to skill depending on their captain and load out

I will probably work both CV lines at the same time. I play 90ish% PvE, so I usually go for first win bonuses on a bunch of different ships, with some one to two ship grinding when I feel like it. I have a bunch of ARP captains and I stuck the ARP bear on Hosho with 10 points. I only have a 7 pt Langley captain. Both captains will move up the lines to new ships as I get them. No 19pt captains yet, 14 is highest in a US BB, so that is another thing to work on this year.

[DAKI]
Members
239 posts
8,940 battles

Can Confirm that strafing your own plane will still keep your own pink status, hence sometimes it will take forever to get rid of the pink while playing CV

1st Game

image.thumb.png.b0ca900720b3b8e07e8c0f2515e3558d.png

2nd Game

image.thumb.png.3ade5e620513e0e6d2a5cb2bd05a6431.png

[IFAM]
Members
151 posts
922 battles
3 minutes ago, Top_Gun_1999 said:

Can Confirm that strafing your own plane will still keep your own pink status, hence sometimes it will take forever to get rid of the pink while playing CV

1st Game

image.thumb.png.b0ca900720b3b8e07e8c0f2515e3558d.png

2nd Game

image.thumb.png.3ade5e620513e0e6d2a5cb2bd05a6431.png

Well there goes my idea of getting pink and strafing like a mad man :(

[HINON]
Members
11,435 posts
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

Shiny, I guess I was wrong. I thought I remembered a post where someone said that they turned pink for strafing friendly planes, but I must have mis-remembered.

It used to only take one friendly plane shot down to turn you pink but they relaxed that a while back. I'm not sure how many it takes now. I think it might have even turned you pink back in the day if you strafed your own planes.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,320 posts

Strafing your own planes is one thing.

Strafing a friendly spotter is something else.  That impairs the operator's game, since they might be lining up a well timed citadel,  or shooting into an HE belching smoke cloud.  In the case of the Bud, Schoors, Duca, or battleship, that cuts their firing range, as well as their accuracy.

Sometimes, I'd rather take a torp than lose a spotter.  It may seem silly to you, but it's a big deal to me...  and I'm a CV player as well.

Folks often rationalize about 'acceptable losses' and 'real world sacrifices' for the actions they take.

My take on it is that this is a game.  Nobody's children will be left to starve if the game is lost. 

You play by the rules of this game as a matter of sportsmanship. 

Don't understand it?  Then you will be beaten around in this manner until you do.

[IFAM]
Members
151 posts
922 battles
25 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Strafing your own planes is one thing.

Strafing a friendly spotter is something else.  That impairs the operator's game, since they might be lining up a well timed citadel,  or shooting into an HE belching smoke cloud.  In the case of the Bud, Schoors, Duca, or battleship, that cuts their firing range, as well as their accuracy.

Sometimes, I'd rather take a torp than lose a spotter.  It may seem silly to you, but it's a big deal to me...  and I'm a CV player as well.

Folks often rationalize about 'acceptable losses' and 'real world sacrifices' for the actions they take.

My take on it is that this is a game.  Nobody's children will be left to starve if the game is lost. 

You play by the rules of this game as a matter of sportsmanship. 

Don't understand it?  Then you will be beaten around in this manner until you do.

As a CV player what I deem acceptable losses is if your spotter / fighter craft is within immediate strafing run that will clear out an enemy fighter / torp / bomber squad. I'm going to strafe. If you are the focus of incoming enemy strike craft, your planes means nothing to me, your protection means everything. 

I'm not going to strafe friendly planes for anything less than heavy enemy plane losses. Thus should be the case to everyone who plays CV. I will apologise but you'll live to keep fighting. At the end of the day, I made the judgement call that you will either take heavy damage or lose a plane. So I ask you these question(s):

Can you still fire your guns if you are dead?

Can you commit to the fight with low health?

Will the spotter craft prevent you from causing damage to the enemy for the rest of the match?

• Cool 1

[KVLT]
[KVLT]
Members
2,302 posts
7,216 battles

I see what youre saying. Its possible that squadron takes the damage. I suppose you would need to strafe a full squadron of allied planes to tell for sure.

Ive not been pink in a long time and im not willing to do so for science. Although, the next time some ally cancerously starts trash talking CVs but cant hit the broadside of a GK at 5km ill probably just kill him. Ill let you know if that happens.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,320 posts
8 minutes ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

As a CV player what I deem acceptable losses is if your spotter / fighter craft is within immediate strafing run that will clear out an enemy fighter / torp / bomber squad. I'm going to strafe. If you are the focus of incoming enemy strike craft, your planes means nothing to me, your protection means everything. 

I'm not going to strafe friendly planes for anything less than heavy enemy plane losses. Thus should be the case to everyone who plays CV. I will apologise but you'll live to keep fighting. At the end of the day, I made the judgement call that you will either take heavy damage or lose a plane. So I ask you these question(s):

Can you still fire your guns if you are dead?

Can you commit to the fight with low health?

Will the spotter craft prevent you from causing damage to the enemy for the rest of the match?

We will then agree to disagree.  If a ship has a spotter, I will ENGAGE the enemy planes (slower that way), but not strafe.

You risk turning pink, I don't.  I have too much to lose in my account to behave irresponsibly.

In the end, win or lose, we all have a shiny new ship.

[IFAM]
Members
151 posts
922 battles
8 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

We will then agree to disagree.  If a ship has a spotter, I will ENGAGE the enemy planes (slower that way), but not strafe.

You risk turning pink, I don't.  I have too much to lose in my account to behave irresponsibly.

In the end, win or lose, we all have a shiny new ship.

It depends on the situation, Fighter squad VS a single torp / bomb squad yeah i'll just engage, but if it's 2 squads or more coming in then strafe might be the ideal option as you've got to clear up fast a single fighter squad can only reduce the incoming damage so much without strafe. 

Prime example is actually last night when there was 2 fighters, 2 torp squads and 2 bomber squads honing in on a battleship, I strafed over a spotter and a fighter wiping up 29 out of 40 aircraft in 1 go allowing the anti air to mop up whatever I missed keeping people safe. I agree with you that spotters are important but there are times there are acceptable losses. Sometimes you don't have time to re-position for a better strafe, even times you don't get to think, you just act.

Members
1,920 posts

Shooting your own is never allowed. suspensions should be issued for anyone doing this. No Capt orders his own men death's. a rule this game will never permit.:Smile_izmena:

[IFAM]
Members
151 posts
922 battles
4 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

Shooting your own is never allowed. suspensions should be issued for anyone doing this. No Capt orders his own men death's. a rule this game will never permit.:Smile_izmena:

I'm pretty sure this is just a troll. If WG suspended everyone who strafed friendly aircraft most CV players would be banned. As I said, strafing friendly planes that are in the way to kill an overwhelming if not game changing enemy aircraft then so be it. 

Or next time, don't be in the way. CV dominates the sky, not some lousy spotter plane.

[PVE]
Members
16,151 posts
10,707 battles
7 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

There have been officers who called fire on their own position as a last resort. I would not do it for a squadron or two, but for 3 or more attack squadrons I can see shooting up a spotter plane and or a few fighters. It would be a case of a few planes of men vs the thousands of men on the BB. Not to mention that keeping the BB alive helps the battle.

[NEMO]
Members
809 posts
8,221 battles

Friendly damage gets so many people hot under the collar, I have to wonder why WG keeps it in the game at all...

[PVE]
Members
16,151 posts
10,707 battles
Just now, Thraxian said:

Friendly damage gets so many people hot under the collar, I have to wonder why WG keeps it in the game at all...

Because it is a part of war and this is a wargame.

Besides, it it wasn't there there would be no consequence of shooting friendlies so you could just hold down fire and where is the challenge of that?

[NEMO]
Members
809 posts
8,221 battles

Because it is a part of war and this is a wargame.

Besides, it it wasn't there there would be no consequence of shooting friendlies so you could just hold down fire and where is the challenge of that?

The difference being that in real life, Captains that caused the death of friendlies were court-martialled or worse, never having another opportunity to do it again.

In this game, the players get to keep doing it over and over again. I'm sure 1/2 the pinkies don't even realize WHY they're pink...

[PVE]
Members
16,151 posts
10,707 battles
19 minutes ago, Thraxian said:

The difference being that in real life, Captains that caused the death of friendlies were court-martialled or worse, never having another opportunity to do it again.

In this game, the players get to keep doing it over and over again. I'm sure 1/2 the pinkies don't even realize WHY they're pink...

Sometimes all you have is bad choices. Watch the BB get taken out or get court martialed (turn pink) for shooting down friendly planes to save the BB and many more men.

Planes are expendable, ships are not.

The more you team kill, the worse the penalties. And a CV is not going to see that situation every game. If you do, then you need to get your planes further out to protect the ships. 

I doubt it would be as many as half who don't know why they are pink as it tells you in game why you went pink. New players who don't know why that guy is pink sure, but not after they went pink themselves.