You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Midnitewolf

WG you really need to re-evaluate Pink Status and how it is acquired

133 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
3,483 posts
1,556 battles

Seriously, this is so stupid I can't even begin to describe it.

I am zoomed out trying to engage enemy BBs at like 17km and we are in the late game phase where every point counts.  I fire and suddenly I get you have sunk a ally.  I am like "Huh???"  I zoom back out and there is this cruiser that came from no where sinking literally right on top of me.  I guess the idiot wasn't watching where he was going and just snuggled right up to me while I was zoomed in on the enemy but what is more confusing is how the hell I sunk him because I am firing HE and I am seeing like 9 of my 10 shells sailing toward the enemy.  End of match...yep I am dressed in TK pink and penalized for 7 matches.  I look at the screen....722 damage.   Seriously, I am Pink for doing 722 damage to what I am guessing was a low health cruiser on my team.  I mean I get it, you should be careful to not shoot at your friendlies but it is just fracking ridiculous I am in pink over 722 damage.  Come on WG, give me a break.  You should be getting this sort of status unless your did large amounts of team damage or are shooting at friendly match after match, not punish someone for accidentally clipping someone for 722 damage.  Aggravates me because I don't think I have ever had pink status on the live server. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[TBW]
Members
8,145 posts
14,884 battles

Happened to me a couple weeks ago. Scenarios get rid of it and can make you some good cash and you can't do team damage to extend your stay at pink in scenarios. The trouble is he sunk. You can also get pink from colliding with them and sinking them (them being team mates).

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Alpha Tester
3,483 posts
1,556 battles
Just now, Sovereigndawg said:

Happened to me a couple weeks ago. Scenarios get rid of it and can make you some good cash and you can't do team damage to extend your stay at pink in scenarios. The trouble is he sunk.

Computer should have realized he was at a point that a sneeze would have killed him and he was only grazed by 1 shell while the ship that fired the shell was zoomed in and locked on to another target.  Can't be that hard to have the auto process check the circumstances before assigning a penalty.

[SYN]
Members
7,558 posts
12,809 battles

You killed a ally. Don't kill you allies. Doesn't matter what his health is or how much damage you. The fact that is was an accident doesn't make your ally any less dead.

I get it, accidents happen. But you apologize, take responsibility, and work off the pink.

• Cool 7

[TBW]
Members
8,145 posts
14,884 battles
11 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

Computer should have realized he was at a point that a sneeze would have killed him and he was only grazed by 1 shell while the ship that fired the shell was zoomed in and locked on to another target.  Can't be that hard to have the auto process check the circumstances before assigning a penalty.

Always been that way since I have been playing, even 1 point if you caused the sinking not only that if you look at the team score you will have  -1 kill. If you cause team damage while pink it doesn't count as a battle. Some people think it's funny to ram you at this time so you stay pink for an extra battle. Coop gets rid of it quick but you can cause team damage there too and they think it's funny to ram you also. Sorry it happened to you, but it is what it is. Good Luck and fair RNG's. It's the game you love to hate.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
2,229 posts
11,345 battles

No matter what view mode you are in, you are supposed to make a "clear" check on every shot before firing by having one eyeball glued to the minimap. Your guns and torps are your responsibility. Both you and the guy you hit SHARE those responsibilities. 

So you admit to being tunnel visioned and also demonstrating a sense of entitlement to time and space. And if failure to take personal accountability for situational awareness isn't disturbing enough, you also get emotionally hijacked over something that hurts you how? Does the color pink cause you some sort of fibromialgia searing pain in the back of your eyeballs? 

Pink status means absolutely d--k. It doesn't limit you in any way. At all. There is no punishment. How do you not recognize how insane you have to be therfore to register even a microscopic smidge of emotional distress over it? What does that say about your fragility?

Think about how weak your whole position is and maybe it will help you to start exercising some proper perspective and gosh, maybe some personal accountability. 

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
1,702 posts
7,515 battles

VG has a point, being Pink really does not mean anything, while we all hate turning Pink, (been there twice myself), we would really hate it and it would mean something, lets say for example if we were penalized credits and xp until we cleared off our Pink status, now that would really suck!  Right now though its just the stigma of having the color attached to us for a specified period of time and nothing more.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
19,824 battles
34 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

You killed a ally. Don't kill you allies. Doesn't matter what his health is or how much damage you. The fact that is was an accident doesn't make your ally any less dead.

I get it, accidents happen. But you apologize, take responsibility, and work off the pink.

How about no and the idiot that sank himself gets a brain?

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,687 posts
17,175 battles
1 hour ago, VGLance said:

No matter what view mode you are in, you are supposed to make a "clear" check on every shot before firing by having one eyeball glued to the minimap. Your guns and torps are your responsibility. Both you and the guy you hit SHARE those responsibilities. 

So you admit to being tunnel visioned and also demonstrating a sense of entitlement to time and space. And if failure to take personal accountability for situational awareness isn't disturbing enough, you also get emotionally hijacked over something that hurts you how? Does the color pink cause you some sort of fibromialgia searing pain in the back of your eyeballs? 

Pink status means absolutely d--k. It doesn't limit you in any way. At all. There is no punishment. How do you not recognize how insane you have to be therfore to register even a microscopic smidge of emotional distress over it? What does that say about your fragility?

Think about how weak your whole position is and maybe it will help you to start exercising some proper perspective and gosh, maybe some personal accountability. 

Wow, @VGLance and I agree on so very few things. Yet here is a totally responsible and correct post that I feel I have to endorse, only because he's hit the nail right on it's head. BIG plus one on this dude!

On another note, we have Option A:

1 hour ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

And we have Option B:

50 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

How about no and the idiot that sank himself gets a brain?

Now, seriously Gunther; which of these scenarios do you actually see happening in the near future?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,016 posts
3,895 battles

Yet another problem that could be solved by just turning off team damage.

Team damage, which brings nothing good to the game and only causes problems. So obviously it's an inflexible requirement because people would just fire torpedoes everywhere constantly, unceasingly, forever every second regardless of reloads or the actual human desire to do well in the game. And the fact that it's already turned off in Operations and none of these supposed drawbacks occur doesn't prove anything.

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,324 posts

No teamkill for Ramming

They subtract a kill and fine the daylights out of you...

But no Pink status is awarded.

Sep_19_17_DunkerqueNoTeamkill_D.jpg

Beta Testers
23 posts
2,058 battles

There is a direct correlation between when the pink status become far too easy to accidentally get and when the game became torpedo spam. I just played for two hours after roughly a year off and almost every game there is at least one pink destroyer. Majority were not even bad players. 

I've been playing this on and off  for long periods since closed beta and I have always hated the balance. I think it was more balanced and fun in those days. I like to shoot things. I like strategy. This game offers little of that at this point. It's which team can fill the ocean with more torps. It's fits into the instant gratification mindset of the 21st century. It's like this with every game and they did the same thing to Tanks.

And everyone has figured out how pathetic battleships are until you get to the upper tiers where they handle like sports cars and the most popular ones, you guessed it, can also spit torps! Can't wait until they give torps to torps.

• Boring 1

[CNO]
Members
5,013 posts
15,809 battles
2 hours ago, Midnitewolf said:

Aggravates me because I don't think I have ever had pink status on the live server. 

Pink happens.  It really is not big deal to those who are conscientious about what they do and think about their fellow players.  But since this is your FIRST time...there are additional  consequences.  You must watch the following video five times.  If you wonder why, they're Soshi...and Soshi's color is pink.  And the harmony is heavenly.

Spoiler

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles
2 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Pretty much this.  You're responsible for any ordinance you send down range. 

[INTEL]
Members
10,881 posts
30,641 battles
20 hours ago, VGLance said:

LOL. You're so wrong about everything here it hurts. (1) being pink DOES limit you. Team damage is reflected back to you, and collisions can kill you if you are low health. Yes, I know you are the perfect VGLance with 100% Manly Man (TM)  situational awareness, but ordinary humans do occasionally err. (2) It's not a sigh of "insanity" to be concerned about something that has social stigma and which is also stupid. That is how normal people behave (3) No one is "fragile" for registering a complaint on the forums about (2). 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[4HIM]
Members
2,517 posts
8,323 battles
5 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

(1) being pink DOES limit you. Team damage is reflected back to you, and collisions can kill you if you are low health.

I just consider it a somewhat minor 'incentive' to avoid becoming tunnel visioned on a target.  Been pink before.  Also been TK'd.  We're fortunate that this is a game and the worst we get is a Breast Cancer Awareness designation.  IRL, friendly fire has far more dire consequences.  And yes, it does limit your playstyle when pink.  But that's another incentive to get you to focus on SA more than you may have been when you got the new decorator color. 

As far as the cruiser 'not paying attention to where he was going', the CA might have had his rudder damaged and couldn't maneuver.  Had it happen to me. 

[WOLFB]
Members
2,926 posts
12,231 battles

Being pink isn't the end of the world. Buy all T1 from each nation, play them in COOP, random or whatever, suicide yourself and do the same with other ship.

It's not like because you're pink you'll get XP, credit penalty. Being pink doesn't give any penalty, it just says you hurt your allies, nothing new here

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
16,229 posts
10,762 battles
5 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

:Smile_great::Smile_honoring:

5 hours ago, VGLance said:

10 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

I just consider it a somewhat minor 'incentive' to avoid becoming tunnel visioned on a target.  Been pink before.  Also been TK'd.  We're fortunate that this is a game and the worst we get is a Breast Cancer Awareness designation.  IRL, friendly fire has far more dire consequences.  And yes, it does limit your playstyle when pink.  But that's another incentive to get you to focus on SA more than you may have been when you got the new decorator color. 

As far as the cruiser 'not paying attention to where he was going', the CA might have had his rudder damaged and couldn't maneuver.  Had it happen to me. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,202 posts
8,877 battles
5 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Yeah I have to agree, I just worked off a TK myself yesterday, I got in my Friant while using torps - thought the Allied BB would be out of the way I was wrong and paid the price, and less than a hour after getting it off me while in my brand new Algérie (with a stuck rudder) I was hit by an friendly La Galissonnière's torps so I am sure they worked it off too, just part of the game.  

5 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Happened to me a couple weeks ago. Scenarios get rid of it and can make you some good cash and you can't do team damage to extend your stay at pink in scenarios. The trouble is he sunk. You can also get pink from colliding with them and sinking them (them being team mates).

You know I never thought of that, using scenarios to work off pink:Smile_facepalm:, I normal break out my Black Swan to work it off at T2, thank for the idea.

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles

I don't understand why if being pink doesn't mean anything that people still do anything other than just keep playing randoms as usual?

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

So which "idiot" wasn't paying attention? I lost track...

I could understand the frustration if Pink status did something detrimental but it doesn't.

[MOFOS]
Members
48 posts
4,916 battles

I thought the terrain avoidance indicator is supposed to go off if your shot trajectory would travel through terrain or friendly ships? At least that's the way it was billed when it first came into the game. But I agree that a lot more could be done to warn you of accidental team damage/kills. Especially with torpedoes. I have had team kills where someone went into the path of my torpedoes 20 or 25 seconds after I launched them. I try to warn players when my torps are "kinda close" to them (and you never know if someone on your team changes direction, speeds up, slows down, etc, and suddenly "kinda close" becomes "directly in the path".) Maybe a more obvious indicator of friendly torpedoes?

Of course you could hold fire any time the torps might come "kinda close" to an ally. But that's not doing your team any favors either, since you are missing out damaging the enemy. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Cool 1

[VVV]
Beta Testers
802 posts
5,445 battles

I play my conk 99% of the time, And each day I'm pink it seems. Always there is some ship that get's up close beside me and unknowing on my part, I fire and instantly 4 fires on a Ally. It does no damage to them but within 10 seconds I start taking massive damage till I sink myself. Very annoying.

Members
4,821 posts
7,993 battles

It is fine the way it is - that is why you find players who constantly switch between the zoomed vs non-zoomed view. 

[WOLF7]
Members
12,225 posts
13 hours ago, Midnitewolf said:

Seriously, this is so stupid I can't even begin to describe it.

I am zoomed out trying to engage enemy BBs at like 17km and we are in the late game phase where every point counts.  I fire and suddenly I get you have sunk a ally.  I am like "Huh???"  I zoom back out and there is this cruiser that came from no where sinking literally right on top of me.  I guess the idiot wasn't watching where he was going and just snuggled right up to me while I was zoomed in on the enemy but what is more confusing is how the hell I sunk him because I am firing HE and I am seeing like 9 of my 10 shells sailing toward the enemy.  End of match...yep I am dressed in TK pink and penalized for 7 matches.  I look at the screen....722 damage.   Seriously, I am Pink for doing 722 damage to what I am guessing was a low health cruiser on my team.  I mean I get it, you should be careful to not shoot at your friendlies but it is just fracking ridiculous I am in pink over 722 damage.  Come on WG, give me a break.  You should be getting this sort of status unless your did large amounts of team damage or are shooting at friendly match after match, not punish someone for accidentally clipping someone for 722 damage.  Aggravates me because I don't think I have ever had pink status on the live server. 

It's this way for a reason. And your suggestion of .."The computer should know it's only 722 health" is meaningless. If the computer took that into account, what do you think would happen? You'd have trolls looking for low health team mates to sink.:Smile_facepalm:

Pink is meaningless, we've all had it, and other than being a bit more careful, it makes zero difference to your game...