You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
bkhorn

Iowa C Hull or Montana

21 comments in this topic

bkhorn    0

So my question is should I buy the Iowa C Hull or just keep grinding away and save for the Montana?

I do have my 1st 19 point Captain. What on the skills should I change? I'm still trying to figure out how to maximize having a 19 point Captain with the ships I currently have. I'm thinking I need to get a higher tier premium ship but don't quite understand moving Captains in and out.

World of Warships 1_13_2018 12_25_19 AM.png

HazeGrayUnderway    2,629

I'd drop Expert Loader to get you 4 pts freed up and take AFT.  High Tier USN BBs incorporate AA Builds far more easily than other BB lines that have to make serious concessions to do so.

Whether you should skip buying Hull-C Iowa (greatly improves AA power) or just keep saving up for Montana, that depends.  You having fun on Iowa?  Then sure, go ahead and get Hull-C, especially if you intend to keep Iowa even after getting Montana.  Montana and the Tier IX USN BBs play nothing alike is why.  If anything, Montana is a Super North Carolina but bigger, slower, better armored, having stronger 16" guns and moar of them.  Then again, if you were more interested in Montana to begin with, [edited] it, set course for Monty, full speed ahead.

bkhorn    0

At first the Iowa was kicking my rear, Played so much different than the NC which I still have fun in. I played the Monty on the Test Battle and have just fallen for it. I played more in the Test Battles tonight just so I cloud play it and the Yamato. Now that's another nice ship.

Edited by bkhorn

Sovereigndawg    655

Some people really like the Iowa she is a good ship. You might consider keeping her and the Monty.

bkhorn    0

I am growing into her. Learning as we go along. I figure we have a long road ahead of us. I might just get the C Hull and Propulsion . Is there and advantage to maxing out the NC? Iowa?

AdmiralThunder    367
8 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Some people really like the Iowa she is a good ship. You might consider keeping her and the Monty.

This. I kept Iowa when I got to Montana. No reason not to have both.

9 hours ago, bkhorn said:

So my question is should I buy the Iowa C Hull or just keep grinding away and save for the Montana?

I do have my 1st 19 point Captain. What on the skills should I change? I'm still trying to figure out how to maximize having a 19 point Captain with the ships I currently have. I'm thinking I need to get a higher tier premium ship but don't quite understand moving Captains in and out.

World of Warships 1_13_2018 12_25_19 AM.png

Iowa C hull not only boosts your already excellent AA but it drastically improves your rudder shift which is one of the Achilles Heals of the ship (the other is turn radius). C Hull drops the rudder shift  from the B Hull's 20.5 seconds to 15.6 seconds (stats include having SGM2 in slot 4). It makes a HUGE difference. I actually skipped buying the B Hull and saved the credits for C Hull.

As far as Capt skills with 19pts I would skip that Expert Loader as you should be using your AP basically on everything. Use that pt with the 3 unassigned to get AFT which boost your AA and also gives a 20% range increase to your secondary guns. That point would help you a lot more going towards AFT than EL. I honestly don't think I have fired a round of HE from Iowa or Montana? Not Colorado or NC either for that matter. US BB 406MM AP is just too good all around not to just use it all the time IMO.

• Bad 1

AdmiralThunder    367
9 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I'd drop Expert Loader to get you 4 pts freed up and take AFT.  High Tier USN BBs incorporate AA Builds far more easily than other BB lines that have to make serious concessions to do so.

Whether you should skip buying Hull-C Iowa (greatly improves AA power) or just keep saving up for Montana, that depends.  You having fun on Iowa?  Then sure, go ahead and get Hull-C, especially if you intend to keep Iowa even after getting Montana.  Montana and the Tier IX USN BBs play nothing alike is why.  If anything, Montana is a Super North Carolina but bigger, slower, better armored, having stronger 16" guns and moar of them.  Her speed is 27kts, like NC, and is nothing at all like the speed demon Iowa-class.  Then again, if you were more interested in Montana to begin with, f--k it, set course for Monty, full speed ahead.

Montana has a 30 knot top speed not 27 knots. Just FYI. IMO Montana is a lot more like Iowa than it is NC. Fast, glacial rudder shifts, and mammoth turning radius. NC is more maneuverable/nimble but is only quick; not fast.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Bad 1

bkhorn    0

Great information, THANKS. I think I am good on "upgrades". Like you suggested I already had the SGM2 in slot 4. What are your thoughts on Propulsion and the Mk9 mod 2?

Ipwa Upgrades.JPG

bkhorn    0

So if I drop (red) and add (blue) I should be good for Capt skills then?

Capt Skills.JPG

AdmiralThunder    367
7 minutes ago, bkhorn said:

So if I drop (red) and add (blue) I should be good for Capt skills then?

Capt Skills.JPG

That is a good build for any US BB from Colorado up. My 19pt Montana Capt is just slightly different. I wanted to use PM to protect my AA mounts and guns so didn't have enough to keep AR. Left me with 1 extra pt so I used that on IFA (which I personally like). Mine is spec'd as follows...

• PT
  • PM
  • IFA
  • EM
  • BFT
  • SI
  • AFT
  • CE

Works for me. Nothing wrong with yours though.

• Bad 1

AdmiralThunder    367
16 minutes ago, bkhorn said:

Great information, THANKS. I think I am good on "upgrades". Like you suggested I already had the SGM2 in slot 4. What are your thoughts on Propulsion and the Mk9 mod 2?

Ipwa Upgrades.JPG

I got them for mine.

• Bad 1

Focke66    37

Wait..youre keeping the Iowa and not ever buying the monty?  IMO thats a error. Monty has been one of the most fun ships I've owned.

HazeGrayUnderway    2,629
3 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Montana has a 30 knot top speed not 27 knots. Just FYI. IMO Montana is a lot more like Iowa than it is NC. Fast, glacial rudder shifts, and mammoth turning radius. NC is more maneuverable/nimble but is only quick; not fast.

Fixed, thx.  The old pre-buff values still linger in my head.

bkhorn    0

Focke66 , Oh No. That wasn't what I was getting at. I was just curious whether I should spend the coins on the C Hull or save them for the Monty. I wouldn't get rid of the Iowa.

Can someone explain what the benefit is to buying all of the modules?

AdmiralThunder    367
41 minutes ago, bkhorn said:

Focke66 , Oh No. That wasn't what I was getting at. I was just curious whether I should spend the coins on the C Hull or save them for the Monty. I wouldn't get rid of the Iowa.

Well Propulsion will increase your speed from 28.8 knots to 33 knots. Gunfire Control System boost main gun range from 21.2km to 23.3km.  Faster is better for closing in/repositioning/running away and more gun range is always better, if you can aim right and hit stuff, as you can stay out of range of DD torps and Cruiser HE spam (note this does not mean I advocate for edge camping and sniping) and deal death and destruction from afar. They make the ship better. The same way C Hull boosts AA and rudder shift.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Simu_    37
On 1/13/2018 at 12:02 PM, bkhorn said:

Are you saying that you _researched_ Iowa C hall but doesn't want to _buy_ the C-hall because of credits? You should forget both and get a Missouri to fix your game economics.

An alternative is go to your account and sell the old halls of Iowa, North Carolina, and all other ships previous halls. It may refurbish a considerable amount of credits.

If you’re tight on credits, I wouldn’t buy the range upgrade. 23 km over 21 km doesn’t really help. I would research it either if you want to get to Montana sooner. The c-hull rudder shift does a nice improvement to the ships handling.

bkhorn    0

I did get the C hull but selling off everything to get the Missouri? I don't know. I still like playing the NC in Ranked Battles and the NM in Operation of the week.

Simu_    37
22 hours ago, bkhorn said:

I did get the C hull but selling off everything to get the Missouri? I don't know. I still like playing the NC in Ranked Battles and the NM in Operation of the week.

Missouri cost 1 credit and 750K FreeXP. You don't need to sell anything to get Missouri. You do need to earn FreeXP - Use flags, camo, premium ships and the most important of all, operations - If you managed to get 'Nature Selection' or similar rare accomplishment, you get several thousands FreeXP. Pulicat has a replay that generated 16K FreeXP in one game.

Once you get Missouri, it prints credits that buy anything you want.

bkhorn    0

That's what I am working on. Using flags, & camo. All of my premium ships are low tier ships. I just keep grinding.

willob    6

You have to buy the C hull to get Montana, so buy it and enjoy it