You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

11 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,687 posts
17,175 battles

I owe this post to @Super_Splash_Bro, with a thank you sincerely to both @SuperNikoPower and @Pigeon_of_War, because if it hadn't been for your post about the most recent contest I would have never found the proof I need to ask for this change, that change being how ramming is handled in game.

Ramming right now is a very black or white mechanic; you die or you don't. While that has worked for like 2 years now, IMHO it does leave a lot of room for improvement.

When I read about the newest contest I went to Wikipedia to read up on USS Chicago (great story, great contest), and it was there that I saw the photo of Chicago's collision with the British Freighter Silver Palm. Helluva photo, lots of damage. 3 men died, one man permanently maimed, very bad day for the USN.

So back to ramming damage, and my personal story here; today I'm playing in my Arizona, and I ram a Cesare. Kill it, and take some damage but he's on really low health and I'm buff so I live through it.

https://imgur.com/a/K8KQh

About 3 minutes later in the match I ram and kill a red Arizona, which definitely does do me in.

https://imgur.com/a/UINUa

And by the way, shouldn't there be an award or achievement for ramming and killing 2 ships in one match? (it's my account and I'll beg if I want to)

Back to my point; I should not have been able to do this. The reason:

https://imgur.com/a/qKfG7 (sorry the photo's didn't post but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.)

My point is that not enough damage is reflected back after a ram. The Chicago was devastated by an accidental ram from a non-armored freighter, so I can only imagine what a deliberate ram from a warship might do.

My Arizona should not have been able to just sail away, continue with combat, and then ram another ship later. Yes, this is a game, not reality, but it IS based on real life situations, and this situation is unrealistic. These are my suggestions for SURVIVORS of a ramming incident. (because if you're already dead who cares?)

1). Any ship which is involved in a ramming incident, and survives, should lose somewhere between 40 to 60% of it's speed. I justify this by the size of the hole in Chicago's side, and every other ship that was rammed. There is no way Arizona should do 21 knots after that, 10 would be very lucky, and most likely dangerous.

2). A ship should also lose some rudder turning ability, again because of the huge gaping hole left in the ship. No one is going to want to do a lot of high speed turns after a ram.

3). Any magazines around the ram area should be flooded automatically to avoid a detonation, eliminating MAIN BATTERY operation for the turrets or guns next to the impact area. In this case my Arizona would have lost her front 2 turrets because I rammed head on, while the Cesare (had it survived) would have lost it's rear turrets because I rammed her there.

4). It may be possible for a ship to gain back some of this HP loss, and some recovery, but really it shouldn't be much.

(really, you guys should give me a really cool award for 2 ram kills in 1 game!)

Anyway, that's my take on the current ramming mechanic, and what I hope would be an improvement.

My opinion; Umikami

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

I think this, or something along the same lines would be a fun addition to the game. 

Makes you think more and calculate before heading in.

I'd like to see it tested.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,398 posts

I simply love to ram ships in the game. I guess that I never got to play enough bumper cars when I was a kid. I think half of the reason that I joined the Army was so I could drive big, armored vehicles and run into things with them.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,687 posts
17,175 battles
41 minutes ago, Fog_Battlecruiser_Haruna said:

unfortunately WG didnt model running aground or ramming in a realistic manner

True. And fixing running aground would be an even tougher fix than this, but it IS a game, so ... ya know!

Members
5,693 posts
6,493 battles

I think it would be neat to see the ramming mechanics tweaked so scraping the sides of your hull with an enemy does minimal damage, very similar to how ramming damage is handled with teammates. This way, if you can successfully "dodge" a ram and just scrape their hull or get their bow and side to scrape across your stern, both ships survive with minimal damage to brawl it out.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

You can actually do this. It requires low impact speeds though.

I saw this happen to a friend in a competitive game and he was not happy his ram only did like 3k. :Smile_trollface:

Edit: he did have a pretty epic ram and blapp before that. "Reusable torpedo".

Edited by Grizley

[TBW]
Members
8,145 posts
14,884 battles

For a BB to ram a DD broadside probably wouldn't do much damage to the bb unless the dd exploded.

[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,539 posts
7,000 battles
31 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

For a BB to ram a DD broadside probably wouldn't do much damage to the bb unless the dd exploded.

Well in my case I lost a ram duel with a DD two tiers lower than my BB

The DD survived.....

[REVY]
Members
6,167 posts
5,164 battles
32 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Both HMS Spitfire and SMS Nassau rammed each other at the Battle of Jutland.  The Nassau was still combat effective and both ships ended up making it back to port.

[DRHS]
[DRHS]
Members
358 posts
15,238 battles

WG need's to do A LOT  with the ramming mechanics but that takes a lot of coding. IMO A simple mass x velocity  for damage numbers should be the MINIMUM they should do. Location of Ram, angle ect ect should be calculated in, but as I said that takes coding to do.And Lets be honest it's a FTP game, and the man hours needed (testing ect included) do not warrant the changes that should be made.It's not profitable.

As far as the handling aspects go well it is not factored in for torp flooding  (add a few hundred tonne's of water and see what happens to the speed of a Ship) so I see no reason for them to do it for raming. At current while you are flooding there is a speed reduction but once flooding is stopped it goes away. Sorry IRL you may stop the flooding but the water is still there and takes a while to pump it out. The speed reduction should stay with a ship if it has any Flooding for the entire match IMO. Sucks but true.

I know many would like to see improvements to the Collision of ships with objects (ships, Islands,Shallows for larger ships,ect) But it is just not worth the money to put it in.If WG had a couple million players then yeah it would be worth the money to do it. But on any given Night WOW's NA has under 30k players so not Happening no matter how much us players would like it.