You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMAS_Valhalla

Another USN Cruiser Line Split Question - Captain Skills

49 comments in this topic

[CWLTH]
Members
46 posts
4,108 battles

Hi fellow Captains.

I know the has been a lot written on the various forum sites regarding the upcoming split of the USN Cruiser tech tree. Especially advice on what ships you should ensure you have to optimise the changes to the tree. 

However, as I have not participated in a tech tree split before  (IJN and USSR DD splits ) I hope someone who has can provide some advice on preparing additional Captains that i will need for the new ships in the split tech tree.

As the USS Helena starts off the CL line, should I assume that her captain should have similar skills to the proceeding Omaha class  or is she a totally different style of Tier 6 CL? 

Same for the USS Buffalo. Would she follow similar skills as for the Baltimore?

I don't want to sound dumb, but I am not familiar with the new ships .

Many thanks in advance 

FEBA64

Edited by FEBA64

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,336 posts
11,366 battles

Probably going to have to use IFHE on the CL line or something, but I'd be very surprised if the first ten points weren't identical.

Members
995 posts
1,871 battles
19 minutes ago, FEBA64 said:

As the USS Helena starts off the CL line

1. the dallas starts off the CL line not the Helena 

2. go for AA and fire chance and IFHE because they are safer choices as of now as we don't know the stats

Edited by skull_122_steel

Members
995 posts
1,871 battles
20 minutes ago, FEBA64 said:

Same for the USS Buffalo. Would she follow similar skills as for the Baltimore?

the buffalo you should probably go for AA fire chance and concealment as she is a CA and as such would probably have bad detectability range

[B_O_W]
Members
383 posts
6,078 battles

But what will happen to the existing captain's and their skills for the current Cleveland, Pensacola, and New Orleans?  I have them all with 10+ point captains...  Just like the National Inquirer, inquiring minds want to know!

[TDG]
Members
1,662 posts
8,807 battles
7 minutes ago, Texas_Vet said:

But what will happen to the existing captain's and their skills for the current Cleveland, Pensacola, and New Orleans?  I have them all with 10+ point captains...  Just like the National Inquirer, inquiring minds want to know!

Each captain will retain any skills and Captain XP.

The only question is Ship Specialization.  I expect (my opinion) is that they will stay in the Tier slot they are currently in.

The Cleveland captain is the only one I don't know about.  My best guess is that the current captain will stay put (become specialized for Tier 6 Pensacola).  A new captain will be assigned to the Tier 8 Cleveland.  This new captain will have some Skill Points but no Skills.

[B_O_W]
Members
383 posts
6,078 battles

So tier 6 captain will stay tier 6, same for tier 7 and 8 with the assumption that they will be 100% trained with those existing skills.  And the new ship (for me, since I have the Cleveland, Pensacola, and New Orleans, so the Baltimore will be new for me) will have a new captain with some skills that are not allocated.

Makes sense....

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,876 battles

Without knowing the individual characteristics of the new line or the revamped current line, nothing can be said with 100% certainty.  However, bear in mind that the new line is a light cruiser line and the current Cleveland is a light cruiser which is moving to that line.  As such, you should probably expect that the Captains in the new light cruiser line will follow a similar setup to how a current Cleveland captain should be setup.  For instance, the guns on the new line will all likely be 152mm or in that general range.  A such, IFHE will probably be a good choice for all of the new CL line.

The revamped current line will be the CA (Heavy Cruiser) line.  You can probably figure setting up the Captains the way they are now (e.g., skills on a current Pensacola captain will probably be the same you will want on the Tier 6 version of the Pensacola, etc.).  The Buffalo will be a CA and should, as you speculate, likely need the same skills as a current Baltimore captain.

As skull mentioned, the Dallas is the Tier 6 in the new line, not the Helena.

[PVE]
Members
16,151 posts
10,707 battles

As mentioned, the current captains should stay in their tier. The New Orleans *may* lose its RADAR and Baltimore *may* lose its heal, so SI on those may be worth changing if that happens. Pensacola won't need Cleveland's CL setup and you might want to move the Cleveland captain to its new spot at T8.

Depending upon the final details for the move, I will probably put my current captains into the reserve and put temporary 0pt captains on the ships for the move. Then I can put the captains from the reserve back into the same ships after the move, since they won't be automatically retrained for the new ship at that tier.

[PVE]
Members
16,151 posts
10,707 battles
2 minutes ago, D_I_P_Scout said:

My 17 point Cleveland Captain will indeed go with the ship

If you don't have some other captain sitting in Cleveland, then the 17pt captain will be changed to P'cola. Just sending him to the reserve won't work, there has to be a captain on all the ships that are moving, so the system doesn't go looking into the reserve for a captain, but uses the captains sitting in the ships.

[KKM]
Members
808 posts
9,421 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

If you don't have some other captain sitting in Cleveland, then the 17pt captain will be changed to P'cola. Just sending him to the reserve won't work, there has to be a captain on all the ships that are moving, so the system doesn't go looking into the reserve for a captain, but uses the captains sitting in the ships.

I will just retrain him for the cleveland

[PVE]
Members
16,151 posts
10,707 battles
10 minutes ago, D_I_P_Scout said:

I will just retrain him for the cleveland

Stick the 17pt captain into the reserve AND put a temporary 0pt captain into the Cleveland and the 17 pt captain should stay trained for the Cleveland.

[KKM]
Members
808 posts
9,421 battles
On 1/23/2018 at 5:11 PM, Kizarvexis said:

Stick the 17pt captain into the reserve AND put a temporary 0pt captain into the Cleveland and the 17 pt captain should stay trained for the Cleveland.

Now that is a good idea!  Thanks

[TDG]
Members
1,662 posts
8,807 battles
On 1/23/2018 at 6:11 PM, Kizarvexis said:

Is that how things worked in previous splits?

I have previously explained my assumptions and this is not in line with them.  However, this is my first split, so I have no relevant data.

[PVE]
Members
16,151 posts
10,707 battles
1 hour ago, D_I_P_Scout said:

Now that is a good idea!  Thanks

Your welcome. Others came up with the idea in previous splits.

3 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

Is that how things worked in previous splits?

I have previously explained my assumptions and this is not in line with them.  However, this is my first split, so I have no relevant data.

Yes. The system for the move takes the captain in the ship and retrains him for free to the new ship at that tier. So T6 Cleveland captain Bob, that is sitting in the T6 Cleveland at move time, will get retrained for T6 Pensacola when it moves into the Cleveland's place. 

Let's say that you put Bob into the reserve. The system looks for the captain in the T6 Cleveland and it is empty. It checks the reserve and there is Bob. He gets trained for the T6 Pensacola.

Now if you move Bob to the reserve and hire Al to sit in the T6 Cleveland, then the system sees Al and makes him the T6 Pensacola captain. Bob should be left alone in the reserve and you can move him to the T8 Cleveland.

Now say that you move Bob to the reserve, but you want Dan to be the new T6 Pensacola captain. Move him to the T6 Cleveland before the move, pick free re-training to turn his skills orange and if it has worked like past respecs, Dan will end up trained on the T6 Pensacola after the move.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,546 posts
16,962 battles
On 1/23/2018 at 2:46 PM, Kizarvexis said:

Depending upon the final details for the move, I will probably put my current captains into the reserve and put temporary 0pt captains on the ships for the move. Then I can put the captains from the reserve back into the same ships after the move, since they won't be automatically retrained for the new ship at that tier.

That is my plan as well.

[CVA16]
Members
3,739 posts
12,085 battles
5 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Yes. The system for the move takes the captain in the ship and retrains him for free to the new ship at that tier. So T6 Cleveland captain Bob, that is sitting in the T6 Cleveland at move time, will get retrained for T6 Pensacola when it moves into the Cleveland's place. 

I assume the captain will have a reset on his skills as well as ship specialization for this. IFHE isn't much use on a Pensacola.

Still plan on using the "hide the captain in reserve" trick.

[PVE]
Members
16,151 posts
10,707 battles
36 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I assume the captain will have a reset on his skills as well as ship specialization for this. IFHE isn't much use on a Pensacola.

Still plan on using the "hide the captain in reserve" trick.

I don't remember if the skills were reset for the last split.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles
On 1/18/2018 at 12:57 PM, Texas_Vet said:

The captain stays in the TIER that he was in prior to the split, NOT the ship.  Your T6 Cleveland captain will become a T6 Pensacola captain.  Your T9 Baltimore captain will become a T9 Buffalo captain.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,850 posts
4,861 battles

Ugh...I really need my NOLA man to stay in NOLA unless they will give me the new T8 Baltimore paint...

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,876 battles
6 hours ago, pyantoryng said:

Ugh...I really need my NOLA man to stay in NOLA unless they will give me the new T8 Baltimore paint...

I believe the way they are handling the ship splits are based on the following idea.  You have a ship that has two properties, a name and a position in the tech tree.  When the split occurs, they will give you the ship where it moves because you had that ship with that name before the split.  They will also give you the ship that replaces it because you had the ship at that tier before the split.

With that as the basis, and because I believe I have heard they have done it with previous splits, the camo should follow the same idea.  If you have permanent camo on a ship that moves, the ship by that name had the camo, so that camo should be on the ship with that name after the move.  However, the ship at the original tier also had the camo, so the ship that takes its place should also get the camo.

That, of course, is speculation since they have not announced exactly what they are doing, but based on that logic, here is what I did.

I already had the Cleveland and Baltimore in port, having sold the Pensacola and New Orleans as I moved up.  I bought back the New Orleans for the split.  As a result of the split, I should end up the T8 Cleveland and the T6 Pensacola from having the Cleveland in port.  I should get the T7 New Orleans from having the New Orleans in port, I should get the T8 Baltimore either from having the New Orleans or the Baltimore in port, and I should get the Buffalo from having the Baltimore.

As to the camo, I bought the permanent camo for the Baltimore and the Cleveland.  The New Orleans already had a special permanent camo from that event a while back.  If they do as suggested above, all the ships should end up with a permanent camo.  The Cleveland and Pensacola because the Cleveland had it.  The New Orleans because it had the special camo.  The Baltimore and Buffalo because the Baltimore had it.

Of course, they may choose to do it differently, but that is the way I am preparing for it.

• Cool 1

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,850 posts
4,861 battles
18 hours ago, Sotaudi said:

I believe the way they are handling the ship splits are based on the following idea.  You have a ship that has two properties, a name and a position in the tech tree.  When the split occurs, they will give you the ship where it moves because you had that ship with that name before the split.  They will also give you the ship that replaces it because you had the ship at that tier before the split.

With that as the basis, and because I believe I have heard they have done it with previous splits, the camo should follow the same idea.  If you have permanent camo on a ship that moves, the ship by that name had the camo, so that camo should be on the ship with that name after the move.  However, the ship at the original tier also had the camo, so the ship that takes its place should also get the camo.

That, of course, is speculation since they have not announced exactly what they are doing, but based on that logic, here is what I did.

I already had the Cleveland and Baltimore in port, having sold the Pensacola and New Orleans as I moved up.  I bought back the New Orleans for the split.  As a result of the split, I should end up the T8 Cleveland and the T6 Pensacola from having the Cleveland in port.  I should get the T7 New Orleans from having the New Orleans in port, I should get the T8 Baltimore either from having the New Orleans or the Baltimore in port, and I should get the Buffalo from having the Baltimore.

As to the camo, I bought the permanent camo for the Baltimore and the Cleveland.  The New Orleans already had a special permanent camo from that event a while back.  If they do as suggested above, all the ships should end up with a permanent camo.  The Cleveland and Pensacola because the Cleveland had it.  The New Orleans because it had the special camo.  The Baltimore and Buffalo because the Baltimore had it.

Of course, they may choose to do it differently, but that is the way I am preparing for it.

I got a feeling that the New Orleans's anniversary paint (which I have) is one-of-a-kind and is supposed to be on it only...

[PVE]
Members
16,151 posts
10,707 battles
59 minutes ago, pyantoryng said:

I got a feeling that the New Orleans's anniversary paint (which I have) is one-of-a-kind and is supposed to be on it only...

The last patch before the split should have all the info on compensation for the split. So things like compensation for perma-camo should be known then and if the anniversary camo will count or if only the certain types of perma-camo will count. Everything we are doing now is speculation based on past splits. The perma-camo that almost certainly will be great to have is the Cleveland 1k T6 perma-camo. It is almost certainly going to be converted to a T8 perma-camo (3k doubloons) and the new T6 (Dallas or Pensacola depending on if WG views tier or cruiser type first) will almost certainly get a perma-camo as well. So I would definitely get the current T6 perma-camo for Cleveland before the split. Now the P'cola, NO and Baltimore are dropping a tier where the perma-camo gets cheaper, so I'm waiting to see what the compensation is for those first before I buy one. I had already picked up the P'cola camo before the split was announced, so I'm good there. My NO has the anniversary perma-camo, so I will wait to see what happens with the ships going down a tier. Baltimore's perma-camo is 4k doubloons and I'm going to wait to see what the compensation is first before spending that 4k doubloons on the Balti perma-camo.

As for which replacement cruiser you get a T6, there are two camps. One camp is the T6 main line cruiser is moving to the T8 CL spot, so the T6 CA cruiser, which is in the main line, will be the replacement. My camp thinks it will make more sense for the current T6 CL to be replaced by the new T6 CL since the line splits at T5 into CL and CA branches. Yes, if you don't have the current T7 CA P'cola, then you would have to grind out the new T6 CA P'cola, but that would be no different than grinding out the new T6 CL if the split goes the other way. Only time will tell.

[PVE]
Members
9,546 posts
16,962 battles
3 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

As for which replacement cruiser you get a T6, there are two camps. One camp is the T6 main line cruiser is moving to the T8 CL spot, so the T6 CA cruiser, which is in the main line, will be the replacement. My camp thinks it will make more sense for the current T6 CL to be replaced by the new T6 CL since the line splits at T5 into CL and CA branches. Yes, if you don't have the current T7 CA P'cola, then you would have to grind out the new T6 CA P'cola, but that would be no different than grinding out the new T6 CL if the split goes the other way. Only time will tell.

I actually agree with the highlighted section above. I too think it makes more sense to have the new T6 CL Dallas be the compensation for the current T6 CL Cleveland moving than the T6/T7 Pensacola. Pepsi is a CA and Cleveland is a CL so to me compensation makes more sense in the form of a CL than a CA.

As you say, you still have to replay the Omaha and grind XP for one of them anyway unless you use Free XP or WG gets really generous and gives BOTH the Dallas and Pensacola as compensation for Cleveland moving out of the T6 slot (which I highly doubt). With that said I think WG will go the other way and fall back on the premise that the Pensacola is the current ship moving down to T6 and is the ship the current T6 Cleveland players were working towards so that is what they will give.

What would be nice is if you already have Cleveland and Pensacola they give you Dallas instead of duplicate ship compensation for Pensacola. If you have Cleveland but don't have Pensacola it would be nice if they allow us the choice of which ship to get. Maybe a window pops up and you pick one or the other? Probably too much work but the 1st idea I can see being doable without too much work. They check and if Cleveland is in port they automatically award Pensacola but if it is in port too it swaps over to awarding Dallas instead of credits.

Either way I am good. I have Cleveland through Baltimore all with their perma camo and I also repurchased Omaha and have enough XP sitting on it to research an average T6 Cruiser if we have to unlock Dallas manually. Bring it on...LOL

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1