Jump to content

430 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

526
[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,062 posts
1,501 battles
8 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Sad, innit?  I was so happy Roma managed to be balanced and competitive without being disgustingly OP.

 

To be fair i had to have it pointed out too, i tend to read meh as damning with faint praise.

 

8 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yep, it's almost like synergy was a thing... where a combination of average components could come together and create something bigger than the sum of its parts.

 

This is important thing to remember. 

 

8 hours ago, SparvieroVV said:

Synergy is a thing however synergy usually relies upon positive building upon positive. I validate your being pedantic about my reaction to this obvious positive build up. I get the sarcasm I deserve.:Smile-_tongue:

 

 

5oy0WWB.jpgQNSEu3w.jpg y57en6P.jpg ky9Vuct.jpg

 

Yes I realize in your book meh is A-Ok. As a previous poster just said I obviously have reading comprehension issues. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6op_r3ELF-TMPFrZQ0Jo

 

It's not just each individual component but how the good and bad of each component add together. A notable point is that Roma's dispersion and HE problems are much more pronounced issues when dealing with cruisers's whilst her citadel is much more of an issue when dealing with BB's, but only if you miss angle. And the maneuvering may not be setting off any big positives, but at the same time it's not doing much of anything to limit you

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,326
[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
13 hours ago, Spartias said:

Hmmm... another higherish tier BB that has diminished gun accuracy as its con...

 

Meh...

 

I like being able to blap badz guys on command.

Maybe WG is trying to reign in BB accuracy and this is their way of slowly trying to implement the changes, kinda like how they moved DD away from smoke/invisa firing after launching ships to play specifically into that meta. Besides, it's a stealthy ship and if you're closer sigma becomes less and less a mitigating factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
444
[YAN]
Members
1,649 posts
8,026 battles
10 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I was so happy Roma managed to be balanced and competitive without being disgustingly OP.

Lets hope that Musashi can a good follow up to this.

Quite happy to see that WG still recognises battleships have citadels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
701
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,245 battles

@Carl

 

Thats fine. I’ve stated over and over again I understand the intent. However stating the shining feature that makes the ship rise above average is following a play style already used by many at the tier. Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. 

Survive and RNG shall provide. That can be said about any ship. Once again due to the manner of text I’m trying to be very careful to say my response is coming off more negative than intended and I fully believe the stat padding will be real. 

It just flies in the face of WG trying to balance other ships to promote active game play. However as with Cesare it will be a boon to sales when people see the average damage stats. :cap_haloween:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,501
[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,701 posts
8,217 battles
9 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

huge advantage in Vision Control

It is good to see this (insistent) recognition of "vision" as an (if not the) underlying battle winning strategy for WOWS gameplay, and that the team that nukes the most enemy dds, while losing the fewest, has the greatest potential for winning the battle. Better late than never. It would be great if this understanding were applied to future reviews of CVs too, with a regard for the specifics of vision control as principal strategy (as opposed to the usual focus on AS and Strike alone).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
644 posts
4,069 battles

Her guns are a deceit. A lid, covering up an overgrown privy.

A prop to keep thee from the Balans of thine desire.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,862
[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,776 posts
4,413 battles
9 hours ago, Ulthwey said:

This ship is going to get murdered in any kind of uptier. It will barely hold its own against equal tier opponents, the tier 9s and Xs will absolutely murder it.

Such a shame ... I really wanted to get her, but not in this form :(

Hope WG will at least make Gascogne good to make up for Roma.

From my experience, she is just fine. Even in T9-10 games I could hold my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
125
[DARTH]
Members
542 posts
12,369 battles

This thread is making me want to go to the Macaroni Grill...

Sounds like my wallet is going to take a citadel hit in the near future.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
701
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,245 battles
10 minutes ago, Korval_BB55 said:

This thread is making me want to go to the Macaroni Grill...

Sounds like my wallet is going to take a citadel hit in the near future.  :)

Well this Roma is about Italian as that restaurant so it fits. :cap_popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
3,483 posts
1,556 battles
6 hours ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Christ that Kobayashi camo is horrendous. Even if I didn't have 60,000,00 credits and was in desperate need, I would never buy it just because it is so atrociously ugly.

I have to agree on this.  While I would love to get the bonuses, I wouldn't use it because of the looks.  In fact I am really, really over camos that look like neon signs, Christmas wrap or a steampunk rendition of hell.  They totally take any immersion out of the match.   I have almost 300 Frosty Fir camos which give great bonuses but are such an eyesore to me that I had to download a camo remover mod so I could enjoy the game which sucks because I quite enjoy the visual appeal of ships using more historical camos or at least camos that looks like something that would have been used on a warship.  Really wish they would implement a feature that allowed us to mount any camo we wanted while displaying the skin that perfected regardless of what was mounted on the ship.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,683
[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,562 posts
2,090 battles
42 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

I have to agree on this.  While I would love to get the bonuses, I wouldn't use it because of the looks.  In fact I am really, really over camos that look like neon signs, Christmas wrap or a steampunk rendition of hell.  They totally take any immersion out of the match.   I have almost 300 Frosty Fir camos which give great bonuses but are such an eyesore to me that I had to download a camo remover mod so I could enjoy the game which sucks because I quite enjoy the visual appeal of ships using more historical camos or at least camos that looks like something that would have been used on a warship.  Really wish they would implement a feature that allowed us to mount any camo we wanted while displaying the skin that perfected regardless of what was mounted on the ship.

Or just make high-reward camos look historical. That's the hysterical part about it all. Roma's Italian. The Regia Marina, of all navies, had some of the most unique and individualistic camos you'll find anywhere. It's not like you'd be hurting for good skins to give the ship as a special camo XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,041
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,476 posts
3,895 battles
1 hour ago, Midnitewolf said:

I have to agree on this.  While I would love to get the bonuses, I wouldn't use it because of the looks.  In fact I am really, really over camos that look like neon signs, Christmas wrap or a steampunk rendition of hell.  They totally take any immersion out of the match.   I have almost 300 Frosty Fir camos which give great bonuses but are such an eyesore to me that I had to download a camo remover mod so I could enjoy the game which sucks because I quite enjoy the visual appeal of ships using more historical camos or at least camos that looks like something that would have been used on a warship.  Really wish they would implement a feature that allowed us to mount any camo we wanted while displaying the skin that perfected regardless of what was mounted on the ship.

Funny. What takes my immersion out of the game is my in-game ability to view my ship from 1-2km outside of that ship, from the air, as if I were commanding it from a 2016 camera drone.

Or the ability to see through solid rock at the push of a button

Or the ability to repair multiple ship-wide problems at the push of a button

 

I kinda don't expect immersive elements in this game.

Edited by AraAragami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,556
[C4C]
Members
5,272 posts
3,186 battles
27 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Funny. What takes my immersion out of the game is my in-game ability to view my ship from 1-2km outside of that ship, from the air, as if I were commanding it from a 2016 camera drone.

Or the ability to see through solid rock at the push of a button

Or the ability to repair multiple ship-wide problems at the push of a button

 

I kinda don't expect immersive elements in this game.

There's a pretty clear difference between in-game limitations, and being forced to make a ship look like a clown boat if you want a bunch in-game bonuses.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,041
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,476 posts
3,895 battles
11 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

There's a pretty clear difference between in-game limitations, and being forced to make a ship look like a clown boat if you want a bunch in-game bonuses.

And it's not a sim game, so it comes entirely down to subjective opinion on what looks good or doesn't. That doesn't bother me. Like or don't like what you like or don't like.

 

What bothers me here is throwing around the "Immersion" term in a game that does its damnedest to not be immersive in the first place.

Edited by AraAragami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,556
[C4C]
Members
5,272 posts
3,186 battles
14 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

And it's not a sim game, so it comes entirely down to subjective opinion on what looks good or doesn't. That doesn't bother me. Like or don't like what you like or don't like.

 

What bothers me here is throwing around the "Immersion" term in a game that does its damnedest to not be immersive in the first place.

A. I never claimed WoWs to be a sim, and you never will see me do that. I am aware of how simplified and arcade-y WarGaming games are.

B. Immersion is a component is this game, it's why ship's aren't just untextured hitboxes, and why ARP/HSF content is optional. Most people play this game because of the historical context involved with it I daresay. Saying that this game isn't supposed to be on at least some level "immersive" is incorrect. It of course has several limitations in that regard, and outright violates immersion regularly, but a significant amount of resources is spent on WG's part to "immerse" the player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
3,675 posts
4,400 battles

I hate that we have lowered citadel ships in general, so having one ship that doesn't believe in the power of 19mm plates to be perfectly splinter-proof is nice. I went up the USN line before we got the magic 19mm plates, and I personally would take the 375mm plate over the lowered citadel any day of the week. Bullying people at medium ranges is very strong. The lowered cit does have its merits at short range, but I don't usually think accepting a brawl against an aware opponent is a good choice.

 

Also, the voodoo-magic portion of the game's damage and shell penetration systems always annoys me, and I don't like taking particular advantage of it in that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
3,483 posts
1,556 battles
7 hours ago, AraAragami said:

Funny. What takes my immersion out of the game is my in-game ability to view my ship from 1-2km outside of that ship, from the air, as if I were commanding it from a 2016 camera drone.

Or the ability to see through solid rock at the push of a button

Or the ability to repair multiple ship-wide problems at the push of a button

 

I kinda don't expect immersive elements in this game.

There are levels of immersion to a game.  Sure 3rd person command of your ship is immersion breaking, arcady controls are immersion breaking but the game doesn't have to go out of its way to make everything immersion breaking.  Some things can be left in to at least give us very shallow immersion.  However every time I mount a Frost Fir on my ship, I can help buy feel a bit sick inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
826
[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

Nice review. 

 

Roma seems a balanced premium, enough strengths to be a good ship, to carry games and enough weakness to not be OP or too strong as some premiums. If the ship comes out this way ill probably buy one. It seems to be a ship that rewards good and smart gameplay and punish poor gameplay. I like that in a game. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
692 posts
836 battles
18 hours ago, Canadatron said:

Maybe WG is trying to reign in BB accuracy and this is their way of slowly trying to implement the changes, kinda like how they moved DD away from smoke/invisa firing after launching ships to play specifically into that meta. Besides, it's a stealthy ship and if you're closer sigma becomes less and less a mitigating factor. 

Dispersion being a bit trolly is not an issue for some players like me, who get so shafted by RNGesus on a regular basis that they are fine with 3 overpens on a 10km broadside cruiser from 10 guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7
[BBC]
Beta Testers
40 posts
2,955 battles

Excellent review as always, thanks for taking the time and effort to put it together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,683
[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,562 posts
2,090 battles
21 hours ago, Aetreus said:

I hate that we have lowered citadel ships in general, so having one ship that doesn't believe in the power of 19mm plates to be perfectly splinter-proof is nice. I went up the USN line before we got the magic 19mm plates, and I personally would take the 375mm plate over the lowered citadel any day of the week. Bullying people at medium ranges is very strong. The lowered cit does have its merits at short range, but I don't usually think accepting a brawl against an aware opponent is a good choice.

 

Also, the voodoo-magic portion of the game's damage and shell penetration systems always annoys me, and I don't like taking particular advantage of it in that way.

 

To be honest, as funny as I find the citadel placement compared to choices made for certain lines that also have superheals, I'd agree that I'd rather have the armor. A 381mm belt (375mm + incline) is nothing to frown at, one of the best in-game, and you can angle that far more easily than the 307mm belts of USN fast BBs - not to mention anything that touches their citadel roofs will just overmatch. I've eaten a ton of damage in Alabama even at relatively extreme angles just short of autobounce, just because the belt wasn't enough. At the same angle your American Fast BB belt is almost 600mm effective thickness, Roma's belt is 700mm.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
701
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,245 battles

Well the philosophy is quite interesting when WG has the luxury of not worrying about a fire storm for scaling down a premium.

 

Britain: Superheal and lowered citadel. HE receives 1/4 pen, largest module splash and through game mechanics normally best in class burn chance.

France: Appears to actually have a possibility of skinny citadels for Richelieu and Gascone.  From the shape I'm not sure if that is space armor or part of the citadel. :Smile-_tongue: More 4th dimensional technology if it is not? :cap_fainting:

MTdL0Zm.jpg

3DMDT8R.jpg

Roma: Regular citadel with some possibility of eating a random round or two due to armor belt being separate from citadel armor. Citadel is above water but not really incredibly high. Unlike the French the actual citadel volume is large. Poor interpretation of SAP as HE. Other benefits usually given to ships meant to close in and fight are not included except hiding. The stern and bow have 32mm plating so HE resistance is only against dopes who aim center mass. The 70mm upper belt will eventually become a liability when people realize you just aim higher.  :cap_like: However to forestall any arguments the ability to disengage in the current meta is regarded to negate any perceived negatives I may have and even put the ship ahead in the final balance.

UbEV23l.jpg

Cut away showing some of that sweet citadel, and I'm sure it is the same for many if not most battleships.  :cap_like:

b7b0fa67113c0d518e612d8059ba25ef--cutawa

 

Once again let me go to pains to say this is all in good humor and I'm sure Roma will have good stats.

 

edit:

@Phoenix_jz

This has to go into the being petty box I realize. However Richelieu has three bomb deck levels, shouldn't we have another in some parts then? :Smile-_tongue:

8kJxdSi.jpg

nwInRf1.jpg

Edited by SparvieroVV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×