430 comments in this topic

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,245 battles

@EmperorMaxwell

And let me be careful by saying that surving a match is no mean feat for myself. I appreciate the stat advantage that allows. I just feel that tier VIII should be more about:

wtfs.gif

than

daniel-radcliffe-birthday-july-23-2013-h

However this is just me and I'm fairly sure I'm not getting my point across properly and appearing harsher than I mean to be. :cap_fainting:

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,143 posts
5,158 battles
6 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I like it when not-people things wear hats.  Ergo, I like this camo.

OMj8yoT.png

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,944 posts
8,385 battles
15 minutes ago, SparvieroVV said:
  • The ship is being listed as good with this rating yet you say:

These are the mouth breather take aways, I say this as king of the mouth breathers:

Yep, it's almost like synergy was a thing... where a combination of average components could come together and create something bigger than the sum of its parts.

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,462 posts
3,895 battles
3 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yep, it's almost like synergy was a thing... where a combination of average components could come together and create something bigger than the sum of its parts.

I remember something similar happening with Caesare. No particular stat was impressive, but it wound up being extremely strong.

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,245 battles
Just now, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Synergy is a thing however synergy usually relies upon positive building upon positive. I validate your being pedantic about my reaction to this obvious positive build up. I get the sarcasm I deserve.:Smile-_tongue:

5oy0WWB.jpgQNSEu3w.jpg y57en6P.jpg ky9Vuct.jpg

Yes I realize in your book meh is A-Ok. As a previous poster just said I obviously have reading comprehension issues. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6op_r3ELF-TMPFrZQ0Jo

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,245 battles
4 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

I remember something similar happening with Caesare. No particular stat was impressive, but it wound up being extremely strong.

Which is something I've repeated I expect to happen with Roma from the first time the 11km vis stat was revealed. However every acts as if I've never said such a thing. :cap_old:

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,320 posts
7,604 battles
1 minute ago, SparvieroVV said:

Which is something I've repeated I expect to happen with Roma from the first time the 11km vis stat was revealed. However every acts as if I've never said such a thing. :cap_old:

I personally don't expect this because Roma is not facing "average" battleships as its peers, but some of the best in the game. Roma isn't facing duds like New York or Konig, its facing Alabama/Massachusetts and Bismarck. While Cesare may hold up well against tier 7s, Roma is going up against far more dangerous beasts like Conqueror, Yamato and Montana. 

[WG-CC]
9,944 posts
8,385 battles
32 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

I may have missed it in the review-- or forgot or skimmed past it since I couldn't read it closely while at work. How does she do in tier 10? Considering this is a concern of tier 8 ships.

As well as could be expected for most tier 8 battleships.  Though, like a destroyer, she gets more dangerous the more the enemy team thins out.  With less ships to spot her, she can control engagements much more easily, flank and cause all sorts of issues for the enemy.  Like an American battleship in these situations, you want to take a fire angle at least 90º from your allies to force your opponents to choose which of you to face.  Roma's accuracy may not be stellar, but it doesn't need to be.  You're either getting broadside shots, chipping away at them (and maybe getting lucky with a citadel or three), facilitating the same being done by your allies while tanking /dodging their return fire and hiding when the pressure's on, or forcing the enemy to fall back.

The biggest threats Roma faces are in the early parts of the match where enemy fire can come from multiple angles and different sources.  I stress that its important for all ships to do their part in thinning out the enemy lolibotes in the early stages.  The removal of even one destroyer can provide a huge advantage in Vision Control which can cascade to enormous effect.  Roma's high velocity guns lets her snipe at destroyers with surprising ability -- even fast Soviet DDs are almost "easy" to land shots around with that lead time.  The other two concerns are being focused by HE shells (AP shouldn't be an issue -- play spot the Yamato and be elsewhere) and aircraft.  For the latter, hug an American battleship or cruiser.  For the former, abuse your concealment if you get focused and make sure you're using an anti-fire spec.

I had some very good games while bottom tier in Roma -- not often, but some very satisfying ones just the same.  Her guns will stack the damage if you keep her in the game and they become a real danger to the enemy if can't keep track of you.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,558 posts
11,568 battles

Dumbish question -

If you could take this ship with 9 of Monarch's guns (same dispersion, ROF pen etc. the 'gun system') or 9 of Amagi's guns (ditto) or 9 of North Carolina's guns (again)...

Would you, and which would you prefer?

[WG-CC]
9,944 posts
8,385 battles
Just now, mofton said:

Dumbish question -

If you could take this ship with 9 of Monarch's guns (same dispersion, ROF pen etc. the 'gun system') or 9 of Amagi's guns (ditto) or 9 of North Carolina's guns (again)...

Would you, and which would you prefer?

I wouldn't because it would get hella boring to have everything the same (Roma's gunnery is fun).  If someone forced me to choose, I'd take Monarch's because they're so versatile and brainless.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,558 posts
11,568 battles
5 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I wouldn't because it would get hella boring to have everything the same (Roma's gunnery is fun).  If someone forced me to choose, I'd take Monarch's because they're so versatile and brainless.

Thanks, and interesting riposte. Roma's gunnery doesn't look like my cup of tea, I just can't stand seeing well-aimed salvoes splash people too frequently.

[-SYN-]
Members
218 posts
4,509 battles

SPQR

Needs a random legionary stashed away as an easter egg somewhere though, or a wolf somewhere. 

She looks interesting though, one I'll most likely pick up for the collection. Not sold on the secondary camo though, it's a little busy for my taste, but we'll see once I see it in game a few times. 

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles

@LittleWhiteMouse

I'm getting a chuckle.  I asked you last night in a battle when the NDA was being lifted and you didn't know.  What timing!

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,562 posts
2,090 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

@LittleWhiteMouse

I'm getting a chuckle.  I asked you last night in a battle when the NDA was being lifted and you didn't know.  What timing!

That's an NDA for ya XD

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,562 posts
2,090 battles
1 hour ago, EmperorMaxwell said:

No, Armor? With that raised citadel that even cruisers will hit, No.

*enter extended internet actually here*

Actually, that might not quite be the case. While I have to go over a lot of the finer mathematical points, Roma's belt should make her citadel fairly immune to most cruiser AP. I think the smallest shells that can penetrate it period are SHS 8" rounds (ZaoBaltimoreDes Moines). Unless you can break the depression limits of the guns and fire are 0 km into her citadel, the German 203mm (highest pen regular weight 8" AP for now) should be incapable of citadelling Roma. It just lacks the penetration to get through the 40mm bulkhead after going through the main belt. I there around some numbers with the American SHS and I think Baltimore or Des Moines would have to be at least at 2 km before being able to score a citadel (flat broadside, of course).

[WOLF3]
Members
19,351 posts
17,682 battles

The ship is still probably going to serve a good helping of pasta despite these issues.  It'll be fine but there will be some performances abruptly cut short in spectacular fashion.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles

This ship is going to get murdered in any kind of uptier. It will barely hold its own against equal tier opponents, the tier 9s and Xs will absolutely murder it.

Such a shame ... I really wanted to get her, but not in this form :(

Hope WG will at least make Gascogne good to make up for Roma.

Edited by Ulthwey
  • Cool 1

[-SOR-]
[-SOR-]
Members
65 posts
4,076 battles

So... funky overmatching mechanics. I find it odd when shells which have (according to WG's stats) very good penetration values wind up not actually penetrating very often due to game mechanics valuing shell girth over velocity, mass, and that little kinetic energy thing that results when you multiply them. God forbid we ever get some kind of weaponized beachball, it'll sink everything in the game despite weighing 3oz and traveling at a screaming 2m/s.

Overall she's sounding like she has a lot of the same pros (great gun handling, high shell velocities, great top speed, good torpedo protection, good horizontal armor) and cons (big turns, RNG shell dispersion, mediocre AA, overmatch and shell bounce problems) of Dunkerque and much better vertical armor and stealth. But the exceptions of a rear turret (pro?) and really bad HE rounds (con).

I can see the lousy HE being a tremendous headache combined with the overmatch problem.

[DRACS]
Members
4,333 posts

Excellent review as always, Mouse. In your opinion, do you feel the drop in sigma from 1.9 to 1.8 was a good idea, or do you feel she'd be better balanced with the old 1.9? The fact that her AP has excellent penetration is nice, but at the same time, they are only 15 inch guns, while having the same sigma as Bismarck or Monarch ... but not the rate of fire of either.

[C4C]
Members
5,272 posts
3,186 battles

Christ that Kobayashi camo is horrendous. Even if I didn't have 60,000,000 credits and was in desperate need, I would never buy it just because it is so atrociously ugly.

Edited by goldeagle1123
  • Cool 1

[NAUT]
Beta Testers
933 posts
6,955 battles
57 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Christ that Kobayashi camo is horrendous. Even if I didn't have 60,000,00 credits and was in desperate need, I would never buy it just because it is so atrociously ugly.

I have to absolutely agree. It's disgusting and I hope I don't have to see it in game. The dumb Japanese ones are tolerable... I rarely see them anyway... But this is like they're trying to turn the game into cartoons. Oh wait...

• Boring 1

[REVY]
Members
6,143 posts
5,158 battles
3 minutes ago, TheBlackWind said:

I have to absolutely agree. It's disgusting and I hope I don't have to see it in game. The dumb Japanese ones are tolerable... I rarely see them anyway... But this is like they're trying to turn the game into cartoons. Oh wait...

Cartoons are more respectable then whatevertheheck that camo is.

cGc4VBp.gif

• Cool 1

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles
43 minutes ago, TheBlackWind said:

While I'm not crazy about the Roma Kobayashi, I do enjoy Kii's by him.

To each their own.