430 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
20,304 posts
13,793 battles

FruuO93.gif

Liking the new format. Especially the little summaries at the end of each section.

• Cool 8
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,352 battles
7 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:
The Makoto Kobayashi - Roma camouflage provides 100% bonus experience gains, -50% to the post-battle service costs, +20% bonus credit earning, 3% reduction in surface detection and 4% reduction in enemy accuracy.

j4k5Vlx.jpg
When I first saw this alternative camouflage scheme, I thought it looked ridiculous.  However it has really grown on me.  The amount of small detail is spectacular.  Plus, it looks like Roma is wearing a hat.  I like it when not-people things wear hats.  Ergo, I like this camo.

When was that announced? I never heard about it. Though it does look interesting. Can't wait to try her out!

Would upvote but I'm out so take this instead.

UVNRKMj.gif

Hey it was too referential to pass up.

• Cool 1

[CHA0S]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
145 posts
4,552 battles

The one ship that really been looking forward too and good job on the review of the ship.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,352 battles
12 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:
5r8qgq2.jpg
My current ten favourite ships.  Top Row: Fujin, Atlanta, De Grasse, Prinz Eugen, Atago.  Bottom Row:  Scharnhorst, Nelson, Harekaze, König Albert, Warspite.  Will Roma or Musashi earn a spot?  Tune in next week!

I am curious where Musashi fits on this scale, since you mentioned in her preveiw that she was a lot of fun. Also since this post is about Musashi, obligatory Kanmusu picture.

300?cb=20150519034854

• Funny 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,441 posts
8,217 battles

Thumbs up for this review, especially the ending "Would I recommend" which gives the most useful pointers for a prospective buyer, and what they should expect Roma to be good for. It makes a change from the past, this is a welcome change.

All in all, this review makes for a very very gentle let down, breaking the bad news with the good, which of course is how things should be done.

Edited by nuttybiscuit

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles

You have strange tastes in aesthetics, Mouse. To each their own.

I'm not enamored with this "can" idea.

Then again, having owned Kii as long as I have and playing it as much as I have, I can attest that the bonuses are good.

My own personal overview of the Kobayashi ships follows.

Kii was purchased by roughly 1,400 players for PVP games on NA and EU servers. Her weaknesses forego popularity as people have tried driving her and discovered how weak she is at her tier match up. 

Ashitaka was bought by even less players and has seen even less play.

Roma might see more popularity because she's Italian, but given the review, I suspect many who purchase her will not enjoy her for the lack of useful secondaries and meh gunnery, similar to Kii. She will also encounter stiff competition as she is stacked against tier X, and that raised citadel and subpar gunnery will come back to bite her hard. Her saving grace might be that she will not be as susceptible to the rage of repeated torp walls that Kii has to deal with on a regular basis, due in part to Roma's handling and her stealth. 

Edited by BrandonKF
  • Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,357 posts
3,637 battles

This review annoys me.  I had to scroll thru so Much to hit the like button...  Now I have to scroll thru it again to actually read it.  

Keep up the great work.

Also, ROMA!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,019 posts
28,498 battles

Not super-impressed by the stats as mentioned, but have been waiting for Roma for almost 2 years. I will definitely get her.

[HINON]
7,521 posts
2,090 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:
The Littorio-class had a 45 second reload historically speaking -- I suppose we should be glad that Wargaming kept it to a mere 30.

'twas not. I mean, when it comes to your average battle RoF, sure, but that's the same case for most BBs. 45 seconds in an oft-quoted, very often misinterpreted number referring to average ranges. The real minimum firing time may be a number lost to history because the Italians didn't seem to consider the maximum rate of fire to be a valuable number, as compared to effective RoF in combat, but we do have tables from firing exercises from 1940-1941 that cite averages of 29.7 and 30.6 seconds. Average being the keyword. One doesn't get a sub-30 second average without a minimum firing time under 30 seconds.

Great review overall though, quite informative. It seems like she's a good ship that's just held back in all the small places. Although I'll have to hold judgement until I play her, I think I'll be missing that 1.9 sigma. She didn't seem OP with it, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Edit - also, necessary upvote gif is necessary: 

sBpUYgc.gif

Members
975 posts
1,871 battles
Just now, alexf24 said:

Not super-impressed by the stats as mentioned, but have been waiting for Roma for almost 2 years. I will definitely get her.

me too as the AA don't really bother me as every premium I own bar one has worst in class AA and I play battleships enough to get used to over pening everything

[WUDPS]
5,012 posts
4,848 battles

If I'm actually thinking:

I need to respec my Italian BB commander and go for a stealth build...as I feared the secondaries are garbage...build for stealth and fire protection and you will have an outright god. This rings true with the Italian line, the secondaries are garbage....and I was really hoping they wouldn't be.

Everyone fears those friggin Stukas!

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,611 posts
10,914 battles

Great review Mouse! Excellent read.... took a long time for me to see "gudboat" but I can see how you got there. 

Members
113 posts
5,864 battles

Nicely done! I really like the format. It was cool seeing a graphical grade breakdown on the firepower to vision control section. Something you can get a quick take from on multiple items :Smile_honoring:

[SQUAD]
[SQUAD]
Members
182 posts
497 battles

I'm honestly confused as to how you came up with a Good designation for Roma, given that the only thing that appears to have passed muster is her ability to hide. Great gun traverse doesn't matter if you either can't hit what you're aiming at, or watch your shells consistently blow through for much less damage than you deserve. Speed doesn't matter if you have to circle the globe in order to turn around. AA does matter, because she won't be able to stop TB's from dropping, and will have massive difficulty evading what's dropped. So what if she can obliterate DB's?

@LittleWhiteMouse, if you would, please, explain to me/us in pure layman's short terms exactly what it is that makes Roma "Good." I'm not attacking you or trying to offend you in any way, I'm truly very confused as to how you came to the conclusion you did.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,441 posts
8,217 battles
3 minutes ago, xDiaboliquex said:

if you would, please, explain to me/us in pure layman's short terms exactly what it is that makes Roma "Good." I'm not attacking you or trying to offend you in any way, I'm truly very confused as to how you came to the conclusion you did.

not the person you asked, but my 2 cents. Roma will be good, because a) those gud looks! (stripes and all) + b) sweet gun handling (if you have GC, you know what I mean) = c) feels good to play (even if you have terrible dps, no aa to speak of etc..) In some ways the review makes me think of Hood, equally terrible flaws, but it feels good to play nevertheless, smooth. Ofc, speculation, will see once it is actually released.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,809 posts
8,345 battles
4 minutes ago, xDiaboliquex said:

@LittleWhiteMouse, if you would, please, explain to me/us in pure layman's short terms exactly what it is that makes Roma "Good." I'm not attacking you or trying to offend you in any way, I'm truly very confused as to how you came to the conclusion you did.

Sure.

• Guns are good enough.
  • Defense is good enough -- great even if you know how to wiggle.
  • Speed & Agility is good enough -- great even if you know how to abuse it.
  • Concealment is superb.

Vision control wins games, full stop.  Roma can control engagement distance.  Her guns perform optimally against most targets at the range in and around where she would be spotted.  This means when you're playing Roma, so long as you do things correctly, your weaknesses are a non-issue.  This leaves a ship that gets to play to its strengths more often than not.

• Cool 5