You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Levits

Is THIS Normal?!

25 comments in this topic

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
437 posts
7,510 battles

This is a first. An absolute first in all 3000+ games. Tier 5 Texas pitted against tier 7's. That's not uncommon; MM is a pain and we all know it. What is bad is that, just a couple minutes ago, this happened:

I know this might be considered a "RARE" event, But seriously! 2 rounds (2 Shells) did 49,100 damage <My entire BB's health pool!. That's 24,000+ damage each and I'm almost certain that only one round did it. Where the hell do I have to hit a ship to get that sort of performance?

Screenshot (1).png

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
437 posts
7,510 battles
Just now, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

Uh, detonation? Tex ain't anything special.

No, it's not. Just how do you manage to get that from 2 hits? I've been detonated by torps in bb's. I've been cit'd to death in single volleys. But I can safely say that I've never had my entire bb's health pool wiped by 2 shots.

[AFW-]
[AFW-]
Members
280 posts
12,128 battles

consider yourself lucky then OP. it does happen

[WOLF5]
Members
2,620 posts
3,059 battles

Detonation.

Magazine goes boom

Whole ship goes boom

Only one hit needed.

Heck, I've seen DDs get detonated by a near miss from an HE shell.

[SPTR]
Members
2,293 posts
1,384 battles
Just now, AJTP89 said:

Detonation.

Magazine goes boom

Whole ship goes boom

Only one hit needed.

Heck, I've seen DDs get detonated by a near miss from an HE shell.

Yup. I've seen them det'ed by secondaries too.

[WOLF5]
Members
2,620 posts
3,059 battles
2 minutes ago, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

Pensacola secondaries even.

Members
5,202 posts
9,484 battles
17 minutes ago, Levits said:

No, it's not. Just how do you manage to get that from 2 hits? I've been detonated by torps in bb's. I've been cit'd to death in single volleys. But I can safely say that I've never had my entire bb's health pool wiped by 2 shots.

You have a detonation icon in your screenshot. You were detonated. Case closed. 

ULSu21K.png

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT
  • Funny 2

[NDA]
Supertester
5,257 posts
15,818 battles

"Hey lets load a ship full of fuel, gun powder and high explosives. Than we will send it out to sink other ships full of fuel, gun powder and high explosive. But wait it gets better both ships will be shooting exploding rounds at each other.":cap_like:

"But isn't that a recipe for disaster.":fish_panic:

"Its a risk I'm willing to take."  :cap_cool:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[HINON]
Supertester
21,517 posts
15,272 battles
18 minutes ago, Levits said:

No, it's not

Uh, yes it was. If you got killed from two shells as you claim, it was a det. No other possibility.

19 minutes ago, Levits said:

Just how do you manage to get that from 2 hits?

HE impact near magazine + lucky RNG = *pop*.

[SF-A]
Members
3,138 posts
6,797 battles

The largest possible damage for a single AP shell in the Texas' normal MM spread is Nagato's solid 12,600. The max this can go in 2 hits is 25,200 HP, meaning you were detonated. Rare but possible.

Edited by pewpewpew42

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
437 posts
7,510 battles

I'm aware of detonation and very clearly I was detonated. I'm simply curious how often this occurs and what mechanics are taken into account for it. Because I've been shot all over the place but never had 2 hits detonate me like that; plenty of times in smaller ships with single shells. Is there anything actually out there that shows where, what caliber, what angle detonation occurs or is it simply a round touches you somewhere and RNG simply says "We're gonna detonate you today".

Detonation is suppose to be when a shell hits the ammo right?

Edited by Levits

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
399 posts
10,155 battles
3 minutes ago, Levits said:

I'm aware of detonation and very clearly I was detonated. I'm simply curious how often this occurs and what mechanics are taken into account for it. Because I've been shot all over the place but never had 2 hits detonate me like that; plenty of times in smaller ships with single shells. Is there anything actually out there that shows where, what caliber, what angle detonation occurs or is it simply a round touches you somewhere and RNG simply says "We're gonna detonate you today".

Detonation is suppose to be when a shell hits the ammo right?

Basically yes

there a hidden ammo module hidden on the ship and base on RNG gods you have "1%" chance any time you get hit or a blast radius of the shell covers the module you can go boom, this chance raises  every time it does a roll to go boom

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
1 hour ago, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

Um, a shell comes in and hits your magazine? Ask HMS Hood if that can happen.

I've been Detonated at least once in every premium ship I own... the only Exception is Hood. 

It's my only premium to survive my 1st match Detonated curse. And that's without Flags.

Funnily enough it happens to me in PTR also..

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
437 posts
7,510 battles

So is there any graph or image that shows where this ammo module is located. Considering that the Texas was up against a Colorado, 2 tiers obviously makes a difference. I've never had a magazine detonation in a bb against other bb's of the same tier nor never had a 1-2 shot detonation from another bb. either I've been lucky as hell or I'm forgetting one somewhere. Had a shima 1 torp me in my North Carolina (hit the forward turrets) but never another shell. Not even from a Yamato... maybe...

Seems every other game in a dd or cruiser it happens far more often as their armor just doesn't cut it. Heck, I've even seen a dd 1 shot a cruiser once.

Just what sort of defense there is to it, or any way to mitigate it. I assume any AP round from a tier 7 against a tier 5 bb (or anything that can penetrate the armor) hitting near the turrets is always going to give the Detonation RNG thing a go?

Is there a different % value for and dd's cruisers or is it simply because they are always getting penetrated due to weaker armor/heavier shells. I don't know if the devs or anyone ever compiled data on Detonations. Surely there's something out there.

Edited by Levits

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
399 posts
10,155 battles

you can assume there will be an ammo module hidden under each turret how deep they are depends on the ship, only way to prevent it 100% is using the flags you get from being detonated

No there different value for chance really, just since the cruisers/destroyers are smaller there a higher chance for the blast radius to cover the ammo module  meaning higher chance of it being rolled on

If you want to Det someone quicker recommend using HE or Torps since they have a bigger blast radius than AP

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I think it's randomized every game... somewhere with the Citadel zone the game will make that the Detonation area. If it was preset and figured out people will be aiming for that spot every time once they spot a ship not running the Det Flag 

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
437 posts
7,510 battles

I suppose so.

Well, it is rare and considering the tier difference it's not actually a problem. Kinda strange that the actual mechanics of it aren't on display or covered like the armor and shell penetration. <There's all sort of graphs and numbers on that one.

Wargaming RNG... it's the most deadly thing in the game.

[PVE]
Members
9,557 posts
17,006 battles

OP,

If you have the screenshot of the post battle rewards it will tell you which ship got you (in orange and right under where it says Victory or Defeat). Most likely a BB. There is a post somewhere on this forum or maybe Reddit where a Yamato was detonated for it's full health by a DD HE round. So if a BB got you that is better than DD HE getting you. LOL

I would assume a BB put an AP round into your citadel and RNG decided it hit the ammo magazine which = POOF!

Now you are good for another 3K games LOL.

:Smile_honoring:

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,889 posts
5,527 battles

On 1/12/2018 at 5:43 PM, Levits said:

So is there any graph or image that shows where this ammo module is located. Considering that the Texas was up against a Colorado, 2 tiers obviously makes a difference. I've never had a magazine detonation in a bb against other bb's of the same tier nor never had a 1-2 shot detonation from another bb. either I've been lucky as hell or I'm forgetting one somewhere. Had a shima 1 torp me in my North Carolina (hit the forward turrets) but never another shell. Not even from a Yamato... maybe...

Seems every other game in a dd or cruiser it happens far more often as their armor just doesn't cut it. Heck, I've even seen a dd 1 shot a cruiser once.

Just what sort of defense there is to it, or any way to mitigate it. I assume any AP round from a tier 7 against a tier 5 bb (or anything that can penetrate the armor) hitting near the turrets is always going to give the Detonation RNG thing a go?

Is there a different % value for and dd's cruisers or is it simply because they are always getting penetrated due to weaker armor/heavier shells. I don't know if the devs or anyone ever compiled data on Detonations. Surely there's something out there.

Welcome to the Detonation mechanic.  Sadly it's a rather misunderstood and hazy topic because we just don't know a lot about the intricacies of it.  Many have done their best to shed some light on the subject but as many questions have been solved, just as many new ones have been raised.  So to boil it down into a more simple understanding

1) In order to detonate a shell has to do damage to the ship Magazine.  Splash damage from HE shells, damage from torpedo's or AP damage into the magazine counts towards this. 

2) That being said, just because you slam an AP shell into a magazine is not going to result in a 100% chance of detonation.  You still have some RNG involved.

3) Continued damage to the magazines will increase the chance of a detonation.  So in your circumstance, if that first shell hit the Magazine and depleted it's health pool but RNG said NOPE, no detonation, there is a chance that the second shell came in, hit the magazine as well and, now with the damage occurred and the higher chance of detonation from the damage already taken, it was enough for RNG to say "OK yeah detonation this time"

4) According to the stats, slamming shells into the magazine over and over and over and completely depleting it's health is still not a 100% guarantee for detonation.  It will increase it's chances of happening however. 

5) Each ship has differing protection to it's magazines.  Some are more protected then others but it's hard to see in the armor viewer because the majority of the magazines are down in the citadel box in the armor viewer.

Can find out more about it here: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detonation

And I'll be honest, it's probably that RNG chance which makes the detonation mechanic such a point of concern for many.  You just never know when it's going to happen and there's only so much you can do to avoid it.  It feels as if you're at the mercy of RNG who says "Yeah, we're going to blow you up and send you back to port in this game, regardless of what you do" 

Edited by vonKaiser
  • Cool 1

[TSAR]
Members
149 posts
5,219 battles
On 1/12/2018 at 4:06 PM, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

I once detonated a Kirov in my Graf Spee once. We were brawling over some cap and a secondary  detonated him before he got torps off. He wasn't very happy about it.